• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Is this the Galaxy Note 8?

Warning: It looks like a blown up Galaxy S III. In every way.

Also:
The tablet itself is generally expected to be Samsung's big reveal at MWC 2013, but the usually highly credible SamMobile is now saying that's not correct: "This is NOT the special item by Samsung for MWC 2013!" Since a Note III or Galaxy S IV are expected to be some ways out still, we're not sure what that would be, though an S IV would be the more likely of the two.

twas posted
Where were you when I posted it and it got shit on?! I think it looks great as I'm a big fan of quick actions in the stock browser.

There's a launcher that incorporates the "pie" feature without a custom ROM but to me it missed the point since it doesn't give you extra screen space.

Anyway I look forward to trying it when they iron out most of the bugs.

Where were you when I posted it and it got shit on?! I think it looks great as I'm a big fan of quick actions in the stock browser.

There's a launcher that incorporates the "pie" feature without a custom ROM but to me it missed the point since it doesn't give you extra screen space.

Anyway I look forward to trying it when they iron out most of the bugs.
hey I didn't post anything about it because I thought it sucked too lol.

tino

Banned
I really hope they don't expect people to make phonecalls with this thing to their head...

Then again they put an earpiece on the Tab 7.7 also.

If it cab do split screen video conference and browsing then it would be great.

gcubed

Also, I think Google are just priming Motorola for sale, they can't afford to piss off Samsung, Sony and HTC. Samsung are preparing their own ecosystem, Sony have one almost ready to go and HTC are looking enviously at the $1bn per year that Nokia get for exclusive WP8 support. Android's strength lies in it's diverse ecosystem, that ecosystem is dependent on the three major players pumping out a wide range of devices as well as flagship ones like the Xperia Z, One X, and of course the Galaxy S series. Google would be foolish to compete with these lines and destroy hardware margins (none of the three majors were happy about Nexus 4 pricing, neither were LG tbh) as it would leave Android bereft of premium devices to compete with iPhone.

Sonys dumb, but they aren't that dumb

Is this the Galaxy Note 8?

Warning: It looks like a blown up Galaxy S III. In every way.

Also:

Damn, I was hoping for something with a little bit more style. I was seriously thinking about getting one, because I've been looking for a 7" or 8" tablet with note taking capabilities for a while now, but I don't want to be seen with that in my hands. The software would've been a concern as well, but that's what reviews are for.

tino

Banned
You don't need an earpiece for video chat though.

I do like the more rounder design. Indifferent on the physical buttons.

You do in a loud place.

I am saying hopefully the new version of Samsung multiview interface do multiview on all video conference by default.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone else notice app updates have slowed the last month or so? What's the reason for this?

I don't know but I've notified it, too. I will chalk it up to the holiday season.

gcubed

Anyone else notice app updates have slowed the last month or so? What's the reason for this?

maybe cause they are all just at super awesome levels now? We need a long post complaining about the lack of updates to counteract the long posts we get complaining about frequent updates

Fatalah

maybe cause they are all just at super awesome levels now? We need a long post complaining about the lack of updates to counteract the long posts we get complaining about frequent updates

I'm not complaining, just making note.

I agree, Android apps improved greatly the last half of 2012. Maybe developers are on longer release cycles.

gcubed

I'm not complaining, just making note.

I agree, Android apps improved greatly the last half of 2012. Maybe developers are on longer release cycles.

nah, wasn't saying you were complaining but we've already had the conversation on the other end, with people being upset by all the updates

tino

Banned
Do you guys have any new customization ideas?

I feel that I am at the end of the Android customization road I am a little bit burnt out.

Notification screen: I have made my notification screen shortcuts with Notification Toggles and have made my custom icons

Launcher: I have made a couple Go Launcher Themes for myself and pretty much have made all the icons the apps I use. (at one point I was going to put it on the play store but I got lazy)

Multitasking: I setup "Widget Windows" to make translucent widgets that I can run on top of running apps.

Gesture Control: I have setup GMD Gesture Control for quick launches.

Is there anything else I can dig deeper? This is not meant to be a whining post . Recently I had to reset my phone to get rip of a running process error. It took me about a day to get all my minor customizations and favorite preference settings back in place. While 1 day is a long time for people who know their flash-fu, it still felt like a very short spin to me. That's when I got the "is this it? what else can I tweak this phone?" feeling.

So I am open to new ideas.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As nobody responds you get the feeling that you killed the thread....

ngbbs507486a1ddee9.jpg

tino

Banned
Is the thread that's dead, or the development of Android UI?
I just planted the seed of doubt in your heart.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Do you guys have any new customization ideas?

I feel that I am at the end of the Android customization road I am a little bit burnt out.

Notification screen: I have made my notification screen shortcuts with Notification Toggles and have made my custom icons

Launcher: I have made a couple Go Launcher Themes for myself and pretty much have made all the icons the apps I use. (at one point I was going to put it on the play store but I got lazy)

Multitasking: I setup "Widget Windows" to make translucent widgets that I can run on top of running apps.

Gesture Control: I have setup GMD Gesture Control for quick launches.

Is there anything else I can dig deeper? This is not meant to be a whining post . Recently I had to reset my phone to get rip of a running process error. It took me about a day to get all my minor customizations and favorite preference settings back in place. While 1 day is a long time for people who know their flash-fu, it still felt like a very short spin to me. That's when I got the "is this it? what else can I tweak this phone?" feeling.

So I am open to new ideas.
You should post that here.

Vanillalite

and now the chrome beta has webgl...

good god Google, focus on smoothness and loading then hurry up and release stable

Oh yeah btw speaking of this moving from CM10 to CM10.1 made the Chrome Beta finally work for me. On CM10 it would auto close after it loaded up (seemed to be a CM10 conflict according to the net) but on CM10.1 it loads up and is usable.............

Well I guess it's usable in that it will load a web page and all. To bad it's still janky as hell and the stock browser feels a 1000 times smoother. I ran a Sunspider test and it did indeed score like 400 points better, but to bad none of that translated to really world performance before my eyes.

Vanillalite

So the android skype app for tablets has been updated with a portrait view. Nexus 7 owners can be happy now since landscape was stupid for their device.

Updated my GSII to 4.1.2 yesterday. Haven't really noticed any mindblowing differences, except that I hate the new clock :(

I haven't found one that I like so I'm clockless ATM

yogloo

I can see lots of people use note 8 as their phone. It's for convenience sake. Just use the headset and it won't look stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom