• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have pretty sizeable hands and I don't think that I could hold that in one hand to use as a phone. The earpiece is completely pointless and just looks ridiculous. They should just ship it with a smartwatch or something that connects via bluetooth for people that want to use it as a phone.

I have pretty sizeable hands and I don't think that I could hold that in one hand to use as a phone. The earpiece is completely pointless and just looks ridiculous. They should just ship it with a smartwatch or something that connects via bluetooth for people that want to use it as a phone.

First thing I thought of, when I read that post

JaqAYm4.jpg

We all laughed at the Streak

Now look where our hubris has got us

We did, but lots of people loved the streak. A friend bought one for £500. Dropped it under a double decker within a couple of weeks. Went back to the store and bought another one.

Now that I have the Note II, I can see what he must have liked about the phone.

tino

Banned
We all laughed at the Streak

Now look where our hubris has got us

The problem with the Streak is that:

1) It was a horizontal device, basically a small tablet.
2) It was not ambitious enough.
3) Dell. The brand is a negative baggage to the phone. Dell had other good ideas, for example the Venue Pro. They screwed up all of them.

Rip Verizon Galaxy Nexus

Just over a year after being released as one of the most anticipated devices in Android history (in communities like ours), the Verizon version of the Galaxy Nexus is no longer available. The last we saw of the G-Nex was when Big Red killed off the 32GB variant in favor of a 16GB at $50 with a new 2-year contract. Since then, it has gone in and out of the certified pre-owned section when it’s not making appearances on daily deal sites.

It had a great run. Even if Verizon made a mockery of it as a Nexus device by refusing to give it the update attention it deserved, the Galaxy Nexus LTE is still one of the top devices among DL readers. It has a ROM community that won’t quit and seems to give the phone new life every time a new version of Android is released, again, no thanks to carrier it is connected to.

So since the device is no longer available directly from Verizon, let’s have a quick moment of silence for one of the icons in the industry. And I don’t care that it had abysmal battery life – it was still one of the most important Android phones to ever hit store shelves. But also, we need to have a moment of silence because we may never see a device like it on Verizon ever again.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
HomeFlip

HomeFlip allow you to display and switch to recent tasks in a blink using a simple and intuitive interface.

HomeFlip act as a complement of your launcher (stock or otherwise) and is mainly aimed at peoples that are looking for an efficient way to switch between tasks quickly without having to go back to the main launcher or having to (very) long press 'Home' button to do so!.

Official User Guide

Version 1.1 just hit this week, and someone on XDA recently made a thread about this. I figured some of you customization people might be interested in this.

I'm still scratching my head over it but it does explain one thing. That guy that always posts HTC inside info who also works on some ROMs or something I believe got in trouble, his twitter taken down, he had to change names, and he said he doesn't even have his One X anymore, so it sounds like HTC hunted him down on that front, as well as whatever other sites they're going after.

Ridiculous. I'm just waiting for the backlash and then the inevitable backtracking. Should be interesting.

Failing in the smartphone space, how to solve it...oh I know, take down dev shit. /htc

Cipherr

Peace out HTC, you held it down while Samsung Sony and LG (to a lesser degree) got their shit together.

I have no remorse for those who cannot find their footing and iterate/evolve fast enough to maintain relevancy. I had some mild hopes they would improve with the news that they finally got the carriers to allow them to launch the M7 across ATT Verizon and Sprint as a sole device launch.

But the recent news of a second smaller phone for your smartphone (what the fuck) and this nonsense where they are legally attacking the ROM supporters of their device (I guess they hate that some people dont want to use ugly ass sense?) has changed my mind. They still clearly don't understand anything. We are watching a dinosaur fail to adapt in real time.

But the recent news of a second smaller phone for your smartphone (what the fuck)...
I find the concept silly as well. What I don't get is how sites like The Verge can deride it, while raving about so-called smartwatches. It's the same thing. They even point out that it's ludicrous to spend good money on a large, high res phone only to keep it in your pocket to ignore. I feel the same way about Pebble. If you're excited about the prospect of NOT having to look at your phone for messages, you probably bought the wrong phone.

The exception is for exercising. Niche-specific products always have their place.

Edit: damn it. Sorry for the consecutive posts. Second time this has happened to me.

Cipherr

I find the concept silly as well. What I don't get is how sites like The Verge can deride it, while raving about so-called smartwatches. It's the same thing. They even point out that it's ludicrous to spend good money on a large, high res phone only to keep it in your pocket to ignore. I feel the same way about Pebble. If you're excited about the prospect of NOT having to look at your phone for messages, you probably bought the wrong phone

Man.. I agree completely! No clue what people see in the Pebble thing. Its equally silly to me. I tried for a while to be open minded about it, but after seeing it, it just fell flat for me.

I find the concept silly as well. What I don't get is how sites like The Verge can deride it, while raving about so-called smartwatches. It's the same thing. They even point out that it's ludicrous to spend good money on a large, high res phone only to keep it in your pocket to ignore. I feel the same way about Pebble. If you're excited about the prospect of NOT having to look at your phone for messages, you probably bought the wrong phone.

The exception is for exercising. Niche-specific products always have their place.

Edit: damn it. Sorry for the consecutive posts. Second time this has happened to me.

the difference is .. well, i can't even say there's a difference, i have no idea why people still wear watches.

Just put cm10.1 onto my one x... Very refreshing as aokp was starting to get really buggy for me at least on this phone.

Video camera is not working perfectly but I hardly use it anyway.

WiFi and mobile radio are the best they have been since I was using a stock sense ROM

Still using Nova launcher...offers a smoother experience over apex at the moment for me. But I do feel it has slightly less options, as does cm10.1 vs aokp

Experience is a bit smoother overall though

Still looking forward to mwc. Feel like CES was a big let down, but not sure what I was expecting anyway.

Kiraly

Where did you buy it? How much?

I wanted to buy it (huge MIUI fan), but as soon as the N4 was announced and I was able to order one, I completely forgot about it.

Bought it for €350 from a local contact person, a bit expensive as it can be gotten for far cheaper nowadays. Problem is, there's a lot of fakes currently on the market and so it's a bit unwise to buy from sellers on AliExpress for example.

I expect the phone to arrive next week, will post some pics and impressions.

The chinese phones are stoop because no one here will ever buy them. What's the point of even discussing them.

That's such bullshit. There are some very high quality Chinese phone manufacturers today. On a Dutch technology and an other Dutch mainstream forum I visit, there is a lot of interest in Chinese smartphones. The possibilities are endless, yes there are a lot of shitty fakes and worthless pieces of plastic but there are some that are very good and very cheap, and have quite a following to them.

the difference is .. well, i can't even say there's a difference, i have no idea why people still wear watches.

Its pretty rude to pull out your phone to check the time. Watches allow time to be checked more discretely. Fashionable watches also serve as good wrist fascinators for special events.

This is also why smart watches are stupid as hell. When I last checked, smart watches need fiddling to check content, which defeats the discreteness of a watch. Its just a huge nerd wank fantasy, to be honest, so not surprising it appeals to The Verge, users of Kickstarter, and Engadget.

Regarding Chinese phones, most of them just look so derivative and don't excite from a design point of view. I have no doubt the hardware is fundamentally good but they're about as exciting as what HTC has been pumping out for the last year or so.

That's such bullshit. There are some very high quality Chinese phone manufacturers today. On a Dutch technology and an other Dutch mainstream forum I visit, there is a lot of interest in Chinese smartphones. The possibilities are endless, yes there are a lot of shitty fakes and worthless pieces of plastic but there are some that are very good and very cheap, and have quite a following to them.
and no one here will buy them, lol.

Relax GAF is not a US only forum.
I am relaxed, what about you? Feeling good? Thanks for the concern though.

And alright fine, someone will buy them. Please post pics when you do, I'm dying to see it. I'm not even being sarcastic. I do want to see that happen. I just think people talk a lot of shit. Ohh look at this nice device. Ohhh wow this one looks awesome. Then pretty much everybody buys the Note/Galaxy/whatever, which there's nothing wrong with, it's just amusing. I can't take these chinese phones seriously until they're more readily available worldwide.

Talon

Okay. Good for you.

Its pretty rude to pull out your phone to check the time. Watches allow time to be checked more discretely. Fashionable watches also serve as good wrist fascinators for special events.

This is also why smart watches are stupid as hell. When I last checked, smart watches need fiddling to check content, which defeats the discreteness of a watch. Its just a huge nerd wank fantasy, to be honest, so not surprising it appeals to The Verge, users of Kickstarter, and Engadget.

Regarding Chinese phones, most of them just look so derivative and don't excite from a design point of view. I have no doubt the hardware is fundamentally good but they're about as exciting as what HTC has been pumping out for the last year or so.

i don't know what planet you live on... rude to pull out your phone to check the time? what?

and no one here will buy them, lol.

i dunno what you mean man, i'm on dx.com right now buying a Chinese Android phone!

i dunno what you mean man, i'm on dx.com right now buying a Chinese Android phone!
kekekekekeke

also I wear a watch, though it just started recently, and I do it mostly not for functional purposes but for accessory purposes. IT COMPLETES me. I rarely look at it though. But sometimes I'll admit it's very convenient when I'm in a tight place and can't reach into my pocket, or when I'm working or in a class and can just glance at my wrist real quick.

But I don't look it at that often so I could see people never understanding a reason for em.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom