• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a world where manners still exist. During conversations, discussing business with clients, during meals, and so forth. Its impossible to pull out your phone to check the time in those situations without looking disinterested in the other party. Even if you say that you're simply keeping track of the time, they're not going to trust you because they figure you're more interested in your Facebook or whatever.

No, I am not saying you can't use your smartphone to check the time. But a watch allows you to check time discretely. I work in a job that deals with a lot of clients and this is the reason why many of us still wear watches. For the same reason, I have no idea what the purpose of smart watches are because their functionality is...well not discrete.

Talon

Yeah, if you're in a client meeting, it'd be rude as hell to pull out your phone and check the time. Hell, you should be discreet with how you check your watch.

the Infobar Launcher isn't that new man.

I can think of a few instances where that would be rude. Can't imagine it would go down to well whilst on a date. Or during a funeral. Instances where a sneaky glance at your wrist might be the better option. ;-)

if i'm looking for the time when on a date, there's a problem somewhere. funeral? you're joking right? people have their phones out taking pictures, seeing the time is nothing.

You obviously don't know shit.

no, seriously i was on dx.com looking at phones and i also saw some 5"-7" Android GPS units that come preloaded with maps.

tino

Banned
the Infobar Launcher isn't that new man.

That was just half of it. Now that I think about it, I did see that video.

The new UI is altogether alot nicer and very coherent. My favorite part is the elastic menu interaction behavior.

Basically HTC has proved that its doable on top of 4.1 and they should start using that shit instead of the "Sense" nonsense.

Frankly I am surprised HTC hasn't been sued the shit out of by Apppe for that elastic menu. Maybe this is part of the settlement?

Doopliss

Are Sony and HTC the only manufacturers that got the memo that dedicated menu buttons are now deprecated? Whenever I see one it immediately makes me suspect that the UX on that device is total shit.

Cheebo

Banned
Nexus 4 is a extremely cheap (for being off contract) phone, you get what you pay for. I wish Google would expand the nexus line to have high end as well as lower-end devices. It is a bit silly that if you want a top tier Android phone you'll have to get something with bloatware.

Cipherr

LOL, so basically most of the 2012 flagship phones are better than Nexus 4. We know that already.

I feel like digging up my rants from last year about checking expectations. "Nexus will be a mid tier type of device, it wont be bleeding edge".

Zapages

You guys need to check out Atom Launcher (its free). It is pretty sweet so far... Plus you can use Launcher EX Pro stuff in it. :)

You can hide your status bar with it too. O_O All this without root! O_O!

Have you ever had the chance to buy it?
I was one of the first to pre-order. I ditched the pre-order before it had a chance to ship.

edit: it's funny though, if the pre-order had shipped right away or even a day or two later I'd still have it. But the fact that the first wave of shipments to canada took a while gave me a chance to sour on it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 4 is a extremely cheap (for being off contract) phone, you get what you pay for. I wish Google would expand the nexus line to have high end as well as lower-end devices. It is a bit silly that if you want a top tier Android phone you'll have to get something with bloatware.
What? No. The N4 is top of the line, for the most part. This isn't a Nexus S.

JordanKZ

Yeah man...
That Snapdragon S4 Pro, 2GB of RAM and 768p IPS LED display are just so low class... :p

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Biggest advantage the Nexus has will be when KLP drops and Nexus owners who bought through Google (not say T-Mo) get the update like a week later.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Biggest advantage the Nexus has will be when KLP drops and Nexus owners who bought through Google (not say T-Mo) get the update like a week later.

I don't think that will be an issue like it was for the GNex. The GN had different firmware versions. As far as I know, every N4 is the same.

buhdeh

No offense but you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Aegus

Has anyone else found that deleted contacts still appear or come back? I've deleted a contact quite a few times and it still hangs about on my phone somewhere.

Like I'd search for a name that shares the first few letters and the deleted contact would be there. Then I'd check my contact list manually and the contact isn't there.

Checked my google accounts as well to see if it was syncing, but the contact isn't there either.

Blackhead

Redarse
Its pretty rude to pull out your phone to check the time. Watches allow time to be checked more discretely. Fashionable watches also serve as good wrist fascinators for special events.

This is also why smart watches are stupid as hell. When I last checked, smart watches need fiddling to check content, which defeats the discreteness of a watch. Its just a huge nerd wank fantasy, to be honest, so not surprising it appeals to The Verge, users of Kickstarter, and Engadget.
That's the beauty of Android, you can replace the UI. Augmented Smartwatch has been fixing the watch fiddling since last year:

http://youtu.be/64mqrt9q9fI

It's up to version 3.x now and works with the Sony Smartwatch, Motoactv and Metawatch. Yolu can read the developer's thoughts on the Pebble watch here.

http://www.usp-forum.de/news/1208-sony-c5303-huashan-zeigt-ersten-unbest-tigten-bildern.html

Xperia C530x (Xperia P successor, iPhone 5 competitor)

12511d1359028381-c5303-huashan-5-imageshack-us.jpg.html

Android 4.1.2, MSM8960T, 720p

Well no one can say they weren't warned about HTC's latest bout of failure...
also with their recent spout against developers. Totally soured on them.

Now all that's left to see for me is the Galaxy S4. Guess we gotta wait just under 2 months for that. Hopefully leaks come earlier.

Chinner

Banned
hey i dont really know shit about andriod, when you get these homescreen launchers like apex launcher, do these things take away a lot of resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom