• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
well that doesn't really tell us anything that isn't obvious :p

Technically we know everything about the S4 really. All that's left to know is the dimensions/hardware quality/battery other fine details.

so what do we know about the S4 technically? Let's get a list going

i'll start

1080p
it will most assuredly be plastic
probably have a removable battery (although if i expected one thing to change it would be this)
64gb micro sdxc slot (still can't believe samsung is the only one putting these in)

ok what else do we know?

Yeah that about covers it. Also it's likely being revealed on March 22nd and launch could be April 15th. That's based on the latest reliable rumours.

Oh and the battery was rumoured to be either 2500 or 2600mah minimum. Which really is the only reason it's still a potential phone for me. Possible excellent battery life is hard to say no to for me.

Also rumoured to not be pentile any more.

Yeah that about covers it. Also it's likely being revealed on March 22nd and launch could be April 15th. That's based on the latest reliable rumours.

Oh and the battery was rumoured to be either 2500 or 2600mah minimum. Which really is the only reason it's still a potential phone for me. Possible excellent battery life is hard to say no to for me.

Also rumoured to not be pentile any more.

if it's not pentile, that will be so great.

and i assume that since they are finally bringing the Exynos back to the US that we will get the Wolfson DAC as well.

also, with a big battery, this will be the phone to get...

i mean, dev support for the Galaxy S phones is so off the charts. every dev who thinks they've got anything to contribute will shit out ROMs for this phone in their sleep.

and i think they're usually the first phones with AOSP ROM updates (besides Nexus phones of course) (oh and i was referring to dev side, not manufacturer/carrier side of course)

as an aside: really need to upgrade my nexus 7 PA ROM so that I can test out this new PIE thing. looks super cool.

Yeah the battery is the reason for my dilemma. Only other phone I'm considering is the Xperia ZL. It wins on size no matter what, the S4 won't be a small device. And it has other things going for it. S4 will likely beat it in performance which isn't a huge deal, but battery it might beat it by a lot. And if it does I'll have to make the choice of bigger device and probably cheap plastic (hoping to be wrong on the cheap plastic part) or smaller device and not as good battery :(

Yeah the battery is the reason for my dilemma. Only other phone I'm considering is the Xperia ZL. It wins on size no matter what, the S4 won't be a small device. And it has other things going for it. S4 will likely beat it in performance which isn't a huge deal, but battery it might beat it by a lot. And if it does I'll have to make the choice of bigger device and probably cheap plastic (hoping to be wrong on the cheap plastic part) or smaller device and not as good battery :(

I have heard the battery size difference between ZL and GS4 is less than 10% (up to 2600mAh potentially), but it is a bigger (though thinner) device than ZL.

Honestly, if Sony had released ZL WW this week with a huge marketing push I think the GS4 would be a busted flush in April.

I have heard the battery size difference between ZL and GS4 is less than 10% (up to 2600mAh potentially), but it is a bigger (though thinner) device than ZL.

Honestly, if Sony had released ZL WW this week with a huge marketing push I think the GS4 would be a busted flush in April.
if the ZL released this week I'd get it without thinking. And it's still winning on my list. Sony has just never been the best when it came to battery. If reviews come out and say the phone has GOOD battery life. Not decent, not good enough, I'm saying actually GOOD battery life, I'd probably get it, even if the S4 has great battery life because the size and other things are just really appealing.

But the fact that they'll probably be close to each other and all that, I'll have to see. Of course if the s3 reaches note size and they want to converge brands or something then I'd definitely be out :/ Just wish more details on the S4 would leak, and Sony would just release their damn phonesssss. I want reviews already.

How do you find pa bootleg compared to, say, cm?

to be honest, all of the AOSP Roms are pretty damn similar and every once in a while one will get a feature that distinguishes it from the rest.

They all pretty much have the same options wrapped up in slightly different menu packaging.

hell, they mostly even all use the CM base.

I was interested in PA because I wanted to see how changing the DPI per app differentiated things. turned out i never used it as much as i thought i would. I pretty much like things the way they are, but i could see how someone could get use out of that.

now i need to upgrade, because this PIE interface is so damn unique i have to try it, but after while i may just get bored with it and go back to CM. I can't see myself going back to AOKP. I'm getting better battery life with CM and everything is running smoothly.

they are basically the same ROM, but AOKP seemed buggy. (so depending on the device and the ROM maintainer, your experience may vary, and that's probably the same across all major ROMs/phone models.

Best I can say is make a couple Nandroid Backups and try them out for a week each, or if you are impatient like me, try it for a day each (hard to get usage details in only a day i think, i actually ended up using each one for about a month+ simply because i had planned to switch to a new daily driver , but was hard up for a new ROM at the time. also i hate reloading all my apps and such (even with TiBu Pro it's a PITA).

each time i switched between them i just did a factory wipe (5 times, as doing it once will not always erase everything for some reason) and then clean flash, adding the appropriate GAPPs package and a few different things (sometimes I needed to flash the stock browser, or on 4.1 roms I needed to flash the 4.2 camera and gmail.

i will usually redownload apps instead of loading from backup (unless i have data i wanted to keep, like games or podcast apps.

speaking of which i went with pocket casts. i like the interface plus they are promising some nice features (that will be practical for me) early this year.

sorry i went on and on again didn't i

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
speaking of which i went with pocket casts. i like the interface plus they are promising some nice features (that will be practical for me) early this year.

sorry i went on and on again didn't i

Link? I'm a pocket casts user.

Cipherr

Rumors going around:

yPPefTk.jpg

Very nice design.. I swear that would be a massive change from the ugly ass chassis that motorola normally uses. The info with the rumor about the X phone though make me think its fake. It reads like a smartphone fanboys wet dream:

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/2...ply-in-google-play-and-unlockable-on-verizon/
Motorola X Phone will be announced at Google I/O in May.
Current target for release is July 8 (definitely subject to change).
  • All carriers will sell the X Phone.
  • Verizon will sell it for $299 on contract.
  • All versions will also be sold through the Google Play store at similar off-contract price to Nexus line.
  • If you want to unlock the bootloader through Verizon, they will charge a $15/month fee.
  • If you buy it through Google Play, it comes unlocked with no fee.
  • Not a "Nexus" but will come running stock Android and with some bloatware.
  • Bloatware can apparently be removed once unlocked."

The bolded sounds fake, and the red highlighted sounds horrible enough to be true.

lol I'm telling you the x-phone will end in disappointment. Motorola just doesn't have access to good hardware. It's just going to be a glorified version of Motorola's next device, still riddled in averageness.

3phemeral

$15/month to unlock a phone I've paid for? Are they kidding me?

That better not be true.

[edit] Also, is anyone having an issue where, if they attempt to look at the list of all Google Inc. apps via mobile Play Store, it's missing quite a few of them? Whenever I check, I can never see Music, Currents, Authenticator, and a bunch of others for some reason. This was after a fresh ROM flash and having no Google Apps other than the Play Store installed. Beta was missing also, for some reason, and was the only one I couldn't manually search for and find a hit. I ended up having to restore via Titanium backup.

I just ordered a Galaxy S3 mini to replace my Motorola Flipout which just switches off whenever it wants to and acts like the battery is empty.

I'm curious. Just want a nice, working middle class phone. I have my iPad for shiny Music Making Apps and games.

Nicktendo86

Thanks for that post Bootleg, very helpful. I used to run AOKP daily but I also find CM more stable, might give PA with that newfangled nav bar thingy a try.

TheTowel

There better be something about the m7 or I'm jumping ship from HTC. Nothing I've seen impressed me thus far and I hoped they'd have something up their sleeve. Make or break time and from everything thats been leaked so far makes me like my evo lte more. Makes me look around towards other manufacturers.

tino

Banned
Unless HTC pull out a Tegra4 in the last minute, othewise the M7 is a wholely meh device. I would be hitting the "eject" button so fast if I am still on the HTC wagon.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
What are some good Android sites (apps, news, gaming, etc) to add to my RSS reader? I already have Android Police, but I need more now that I'm deleting iOS feeds.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
What are some good Android sites (apps, news, gaming, etc) to add to my RSS reader? I already have Android Police, but I need more now that I'm deleting iOS feeds.

Android Central - good
Phandroid - meh
Android and Me - garbage
droid-life - good
Android Authority - good

I'd say Pocketnow, but the quality has dipped tremendously recently.

Cipherr

Y'all are high. The X Phone might not bench the best. But if its a good high end phone, I'm on board. That chassis looks fantastic, and I would be much more comfortable with them supporting it in the future from this point onward. I'm kicking HTC out of the boat and I'm not completely sold on the Sony phone, even though it looks fantastic.

Moto is going to have to really screw something up, otherwise I'm probably likely to give that phone a go later this year.

Y'all are high. The X Phone might not bench the best. But if its a good high end phone, I'm on board. That chassis looks fantastic, and I would be much more comfortable with them supporting it in the future from this point onward. I'm kicking HTC out of the boat and I'm not completely sold on the Sony phone, even though it looks fantastic.

Moto is going to have to really screw something up, otherwise I'm probably likely to give that phone a go later this year.
But motorola is consistently known for average hardware. The only difference I'm seeing here with the X phone is it might have slightly better design and also might be sold at google play. Won't stop the screen from being average and the camera from being average and whatever else.

Only plus I can say is that battery life will probably be funtastic.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Don't forget Android Police. They're coverage is at least unique with app features and whatnot, while most of the other android sites just run the same news as each other.

EDIT: Oh wait you already mentioned it, guess I can't read good

gcubed

But motorola is consistently known for average hardware. The only difference I'm seeing here with the X phone is it might have slightly better design and also might be sold at google play. Won't stop the screen from being average and the camera from being average and whatever else.

Only plus I can say is that battery life will probably be funtastic.

whatever else? Whatever else is there? I've had 2 shittastic cameras in a row, i can go for 3. It'll come down to how their screen is. I'm pretty sure the options to getting a 1080p screen at 5" or less is pretty limited... on the bright side, the actual, you know, phone part of the phone should be well above average

whatever else? Whatever else is there? I've had 2 shittastic cameras in a row, i can go for 3. It'll come down to how their screen is. I'm pretty sure the options to getting a 1080p screen at 5" or less is pretty limited... on the bright side, the actual, you know, phone part of the phone should be well above average
when I say whatever else I mean there is other hardware stuff that will kinda suck. It'll probably be a large phone. Despite not having a lot of side bezzles motorola's phones for some reason all feel large, even against larger phones.

And it's not about resolution. The Razr HD for instance is 720p, it still doesn't compare to other 720p screens. It's just average quality all around.

Like I said, there's no reason to get MORE EXCITED for this than there is to be excited for any motorola phone. It's basically a glorified version of their next phone. There's nothing wrong with that but this whole mythological beast of an xphone thing needs to be forgotten lol.

I wonder what's next
we literally know everything about the phone 0_0

gcubed

when I say whatever else I mean there is other hardware stuff that will kinda suck. It'll probably be a large phone. Despite not having a lot of side bezzles motorola's phones for some reason all feel large, even against larger phones.

And it's not about resolution. The Razr HD for instance is 720p, it still doesn't compare to other 720p screens. It's just average quality all around.

Like I said, there's no reason to get MORE EXCITED for this than there is to be excited for any motorola phone. It's basically a glorified version of their next phone. There's nothing wrong with that but this whole mythological beast of an xphone thing needs to be forgotten lol.

we literally know everything about the phone 0_0

i know, but what i meant was that there are limited screen manufacturers pumping out 1080p panels, by that alone the screen has a smaller chance of being worse.

Have you seen the other Google influenced Motorola phone? Its smaller then everything else in comparison without their hideous casing they use on the regular razr line. Their SOC and RAM are going to be the same as everyone else.

You have a right to be worried about the camera and the screen, you seem to be putting on blinders for the rest.

you can get more excited for it because 1) it will most likely not have the ugly razr casing 2) will be available to other carriers in the US 3) it has a non shitty skin

Talon

It would be hilarious if the camera still sucked on the next Nexus.

Or would make perfect sense because they're trying to keep costs down.

gcubed

It would be hilarious if the camera still sucked on the next Nexus.

Or would make perfect sense because they're trying to keep costs down.

its always better going under the assumption that it will suck. Shitty camera and no removable storage options are the hallmarks of the nexus brand

Screen and camera imo are more important than casing. If I had a choice between better casing or better screen + camera I'd happily take the latter. Combine that with the already good battery life on those phones and the light skin. It would be great. You give too little credit to those things.

gcubed

Screen and camera imo are more important than casing. If I had a choice between better casing or better screen + camera I'd happily take the latter. Combine that with the already good battery life on those phones and the light skin. It would be great. You give too little credit to those things.

oh, i want a good screen, i'm most definitely hoping it has a good screen (and i know that moto has historically had average at best screens). I don't really care about camera quality.

From most important to least important -
Screen
Lack of Skin/Timely Updates
Battery
Size
Looks
Quality of volume and power rocker buttons
placement of light sensor
ridge height of surrounding casing
color of lettering
camera

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
why not just get an S4 at this point :/
They're running a deal to get the SIII for $29 and I can do it without renewing my contact. I can get the S4 when mine is gonna be renewed in September.

I'm getting the GSIII next month because my iPhone screen is shattered and my N7 has soured me on iOS. Ice Cream Sandwich and up is so good. ^_^

They're running a deal to get the SIII for $29 and I can do it without renewing my contact. I can get the S4 when mine is gonna be renewed in September.

I'm getting the GSIII next month because my iPhone screen is shattered and my N7 has soured me on iOS. Ice Cream Sandwich and up is so good. ^_^
ahhh I see. Sounds like a plan then!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom