• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So it appears I've stumbled on Google adding College Sports into Google Now. Yet it's not fully added in yet. I think I stumbled upon a "beta test" as I can replicate only in certain ways.

Vanillalite

About time!

Beware it's still really early. You can't go into Google Now and add your team. It just doesn't come up. Yet if you search for the right things they'll magically get added to your team list. Also if you ask in just the right way you can get a card to come up, but only if you say the magic words it seems. If not you just get Google's knowledge graph thing.

HawkeyeIC

Beware it's still really early. You can't go into Google Now and add your team. It just doesn't come up. Yet if you search for the right things they'll magically get added to your team list. Also if you ask in just the right way you can get a card to come up, but only if you say the magic words it seems. If not you just get Google's knowledge graph thing.

what do you need to search for?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So it appears I've stumbled on Google adding College Sports into Google Now. Yet it's not fully added in yet. I think I stumbled upon a "beta test" as I can replicate only in certain ways.

It's like you're holding this magical tidbit over our heads, waiting for people to beg over and over again.

Vanillalite

It's like you're holding this magical tidbit over our heads, waiting for people to beg over and over again.

More like I'm sick, and I can't remember the exact phrase I used to bring up the card! LOL These past 48 hours have sort of blurred together with my cold. FFS I wish I could get over this.

That being said if you just search and don't get a card don't fret. You'll probably just get the knowledge graph which while that is semi who cares if you go check your teams list you'll see the team has been added even if you can't manually do it.

Anyone here using Zagg's Invisibile Shield? I'm thinking about getting it for my Xperia P. How's the durability and is it hard to apply it to the screen?

Pctx

Banned
is that anywhere close to final design? because as of now it's not that visually appealing to me

iby9qDSSaKMLF4.gif

wait pctx, you won't be able to get the actual verizon phone off of the play store, only the GSM phones (and i assume they will be GSM + LTE)

Final design isn't... final yet? From what I saw it was a hybrid of the Maxx HD back w/ the specks of the N4. To Cube - Not sure. I do know that the GSM phones having HSPA+/4G LTE bands for Tmo and AT&T will be available directly off the play store. Verizon doesn't get the phone until July after the GSM phones are available first.

Final design isn't... final yet? From what I saw it was a hybrid of the Maxx HD back w/ the specks of the N4. To Cube - Not sure. I do know that the GSM phones having HSPA+/4G LTE bands for Tmo and AT&T will be available directly off the play store. Verizon doesn't get the phone until July after the GSM phones are available first.

now answer screen/camera. Same shit motorola always uses or not? Need to know if I should completely ignore it.

gcubed

no matter, i just need a Tmo compatible GSM/LTE for prepaid

Anyone here using Zagg's Invisibile Shield? I'm thinking about getting it for my Xperia P. How's the durability and is it hard to apply it to the screen?

i've never used one on a phone, the biggest issues are cutting down the brightness and the feel, not sure if Zagg falls into any of those categories. They were indestructible on other devices i've used them on. If you have a clean phone and are careful, they are relatively easy to do without bubbles. I don't use a cover, i've had multiple smartphones and have never had a noticeable scratch on any of them

no matter, i just need a Tmo compatible GSM/LTE for prepaid

i've never used one on a phone, the biggest issues are cutting down the brightness and the feel, not sure if Zagg falls into any of those categories. They were indestructible on other devices i've used them on. If you have a clean phone and are careful, they are relatively easy to do without bubbles. I don't use a cover, i've had multiple smartphones and have never had a noticeable scratch on any of them

Xperia P has a "scratch resistant" glass along a shatter proof sheet applied to it, which is supposedly meant to prevent glass from breaking if it endures an impact. I'm really worried about how durable it is, so I'm thinking about applying this Zagg stuff. I guess I'll just have to be careful when I put it on. I really like this phone and I'd hate to see it damaged.

Hey guys, I kinda need some help with my S2. Today it freezed up while my little brother was playing a game on my phone so I had to pull the battery. Since then it will boot up and display everything correctly for about 30sec before freezing again. Has anyone experienced this before? I've tried pulling the battery several times and not sure what else I can do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Talon

Xperia P has a "scratch resistant" glass along a shatter proof sheet applied to it, which is supposedly meant to prevent glass from breaking if it endures an impact. I'm really worried about how durable it is, so I'm thinking about applying this Zagg stuff. I guess I'll just have to be careful when I put it on. I really like this phone and I'd hate to see it damaged.
So you're going to put a screen protector on top of a screen protector?

tino

Banned
Hey guys, I kinda need some help with my S2. Today it freezed up while my little brother was playing a game on my phone so I had to pull the battery. Since then it will boot up and display everything correctly for about 30sec before freezing again. Has anyone experienced this before? I've tried pulling the battery several times and not sure what else I can do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would backup my shit and do a factory reset.

Anybody use carbon yet?

New backup app by koush

I think he makes clockwordmod stuff right?

Can't remember. Wonder if its any good.

Edit
Here we go: from the play store

Carbon is the missing app sync and backup solution for Android.
Carbon does NOT require root. All Android users can use Carbon to backup and sync Android applications.
Carbon lets you backup your apps and data to your SD card or cloud storage. With Carbon, you can sync app data from your other Android devices-- even if they are not on the same network. Set up backup schedules with Carbon, and never lose data again.

Free:Carbon App Sync & Backup

And there is a paid version for 5 bucks that adds these features:

No Ads
Android to Android app sync
Automatic Backup schedules (coming soon!)
Cloud backup and restore
* Dropbox
* Box
* Google Drive

I would backup my shit and do a factory reset.

Is there some way to back my stuff up since I can't access my anything on my phone?

Edit: Doing a factory reset, hopefully that will fix it.

Edit2: Looks like that didn't fix it.....no idea what to try now.

thespot84

So google just made it infinitely easier to swap ROMs while keeping 2-step verification on for your gmail account. They now have a "Move to a different phone" feature that just lets you set up the new phone after looking in to the security page, and remembers all your app-specific passwords!

So you're going to put a screen protector on top of a screen protector?

Sony's people actually recomend extra protectors for additional scratch resistance. The factory protector is "shatter proof". It's meant to proect the screen glass from breaking, it's not meant to protect it from scratches. Yes, Sony is retarded.

gcubed

So google just made it infinitely easier to swap ROMs while keeping 2-step verification on for your gmail account. They now have a "Move to a different phone" feature that just lets you set up the new phone after looking in to the security page, and remembers all your app-specific passwords!

FINALLY!

Pctx

Banned
Thank you based Google!

Cipherr

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/31/us-apple-samsung-idUSBRE90U11220130131

A U.S. appeals court on Thursday rejected Apple Inc's request to revive its bid for a sales ban on Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone, dashing the iPhone maker's attempt to recover crucial leverage in the global patent wars.

Apple had asked the full Federal Circuit Court of Appeals in Washington D.C. to revisit a decision in October by a three-judge panel of the same court. The panel rejected Apple's request to impose a sales ban on Samsung's Nexus smartphone ahead of a trial set for March 2014.

In October, the court raised the bar for potentially market crippling injunctions on product sales based on narrow patents for phone features. The legal precedent puts Samsung in a much stronger position by allowing its products to remain on store shelves while it fights a global patent battle against Apple over smartphone technology.

Apple wanted the full Federal Circuit, made up of nine active judges, to reverse the earlier findings. But in a brief order on Thursday, the court rejected Apple's request without detailed explanation.

Looks like there wont be any injunctions across the board. Koh denied the requests for the big Samsung vs. Apple trial, and now this appeal for the ban on the GNex is dead ahead of the upcoming trial in 2014.

Thank you based Google!
This, while silly, is actually what kept me from installing custom ROMs. Since they changed it, I decided to try Paranoid Android and y'all can kiss my ass cuz it's smooth on my VZW GNex, it looks fantastic, and Pie controls are awesome. I have no idea why I let you haters dissuade me in the first place.

In all seriousness, I've yet to spend a full day with it, so I'll see. It's convinced me more then ever that hard buttons are the wrong choice. Two things that might keep me from using Pie the whole time is that I want to be able to see my notifications, so I wish they'd put it an option to hide the nav bar but keep the status bar, and that the back button is a little inconvenient. But final judgments are withheld till tomorrow.

gcubed

what if the notification center comes with support for Google's Cloud Messaging service and syncs up between your device and you computer, so when you get a notification on your phone, it also appears on Chrome.

tino

Banned
what if the notification center comes with support for Google's Cloud Messaging service and syncs up between your device and you computer, so when you get a notification on your phone, it also appears on Chrome.

All I want is being able to delete email from notification.

HawkeyeIC

Anything less would be a dissapointment

Samsung Mobile USA - El Plato Supreme

also...

bSOS3IB.jpg

Typically when a new Android statue arrives on Google’s campus, it’s coupled with an official announcement of the new version of Android. We’ve seen the Jelly Bean statue as it arrives, the Ice Cream Sandwich, Honeycomb, Gingerbread, and Froyo statues too, all around the time that the Android team drops new code on us. Today’s statue included no such party, though the Android community manager that posted it sure teased the hell out of us.

The above pictured was posted to G+ this afternoon with the quote “A new version of Android has been released!” So not fair.
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/01/3...-at-google-campus-not-sure-it-means-anything/

thespot84

I remember hacking growl together with some phone app to do this once upon a time.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/31/us-apple-samsung-idUSBRE90U11220130131

Looks like there wont be any injunctions across the board. Koh denied the requests for the big Samsung vs. Apple trial, and now this appeal for the ban on the GNex is dead ahead of the upcoming trial in 2014.

Smart patent trolls never let a lawsuit they file reach trial because of the possibility of invalidation. Sometimes they even drop a suit entirely if the trolled shows any indication of wanting to fight it in court. Only Apple could have the arrogance and hubris to think their bullshit patents would stand up in court. Now their house of cards is collapsing around them. Karma, it's a bitch you know.

buhdeh

They better let you sync notification statuses across your devices too. I would hate to have to clear the same notifications from my computer, then my phone, then my tablet.

Rimfya

Banned
Hello all, heavy iOS user, new Galaxy Tab 2 7" owner.

I'm in Australia -- do we not have access to 4.1.1 down here yet?

Also, is there a safe way to completely wipe this thing so it's pure, Googley, Android?

gcubed

They better let you sync notification statuses across your devices too. I would hate to have to clear the same notifications from my computer, then my phone, then my tablet.

That again is a must. Let's get them to do it device to device first

So I broke my Note I last Saturday and had to get a new phone, I chose the Note II since I liked my original Note so much.

However, I'm getting pretty frustrated with it, it never seems to have a solid carrier signal. My original Note had some issues with getting a signal, but I knew where to place my phone in certain areas of the house (where I knew connections were spotty) in order to get a signal so I could get calls and texts.

The Note II? It seems to constantly fail to receive texts in a timely manner (I've been routinely getting SMS texts 1-2 hours after they were sent) even in spots of the house where I KNOW the connection is fine. I also seem to regularly get the "failed to send" error in my texts in areas of the house where I never had any issue with any AT&T device I've owned.

Also, when I go to Settings > About Device > Status this is what comes up:

Signal strength

-114 dbm 27 asu

Service state

In service

Mobile network state

Disconnected --> I see the AT&T logo on the top left and it says I have 2 bars, no idea why it says disconnected.

EDIT: So I figured out that whenever it's connected to a LTE band, the connection flat out doesn't work, but when it connects to HSPA+ or USM, I get data in fine. Is this a device problem or am I just F'd? Again, didn't have connection issues like this with my original Note.

Also, if I were to root the phone, would I be able to choose the mobile network it connects to?

giga

Anyone use Google Music and Google Navigation with their car's USB port? Does it output audio, change tracks, and show the file's metadata? What about bluetooth?

On 4.2.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So I broke my Note I last Saturday and had to get a new phone, I chose the Note II since I liked my original Note so much.

However, I'm getting pretty frustrated with it, it never seems to have a solid carrier signal. My original Note had some issues with getting a signal, but I knew where to place my phone in certain areas of the house (where I knew connections were spotty) in order to get a signal so I could get calls and texts.

The Note II? It seems to constantly fail to receive texts in a timely manner (I've been routinely getting SMS texts 1-2 hours after they were sent) even in spots of the house where I KNOW the connection is fine. I also seem to regularly get the "failed to send" error in my texts in areas of the house where I never had any issue with any AT&T device I've owned.

Signal strength

-114 dbm 27 asu

Service state

In service

Mobile network state

Disconnected --> I see the AT&T logo on the top left and it says I have 2 bars, no idea why it says disconnected.

EDIT: So I figured out that whenever it's connected to a LTE band, the connection flat out doesn't work, but when it connects to HSPA+ or USM, I get data in fine. Is this a device problem or am I just F'd? Again, didn't have connection issues like this with my original Note.

Also, if I were to root the phone, would I be able to choose the mobile network it connects to?

You know...I have the same issue. (ATT LTE w/ Note II)

However, I noticed that it happens the most when I have a relatively low battery (40% and below).

I have a Canadian model (SGH-I317M), but it's the same model that ATT uses...I think it's an issue with LTE, probably. It doesn't happen constantly, only occasionally.

Edit: the 'disconnected' means that you're currently not using a data connection, not that it's 'disconnected'

Pctx

Banned

Signal strength

-114 dbm 27 asu

Service state

In service

Mobile network state

Reload the APNs and try again.

You know...I have the same issue. (ATT LTE w/ Note II)

However, I noticed that it happens the most when I have a relatively low battery (40% and below).

I have a Canadian model (SGH-I317M), but it's the same model that ATT uses...I think it's an issue with LTE, probably. It doesn't happen constantly, only occasionally.

Edit: the 'disconnected' means that you're currently not using a data connection, not that it's 'disconnected'

Yeah, it definitely has issues even at full power.

Reload the APNs and try again.

So I managed to add a new APN which uses "faux" 4G through HSPA and my phone seems to send/receive texts just like it should without delay (though sending MMS seem to take forever/not send) How would I reload the original APN?

The more I putz around with it, the more I feel like something is wrong with the radio.

Vanillalite

So I was thinking of making a general Android Custom ROM thread for the OT board. Would this be a totally stupid idea? Obviously it wouldn't be crazy thorough, I'd push people to visit xda, and have the big I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK etc... etc... stuff. Just a thought of something I might try and throw together this weekend.

I could link to commonly used recoveries like Clockwork and TWRP as well as common ROMs like CM, AOKP, and Paranoid. I could also throw out things like 5 things to check if you have problems flashing.

IDK just a thought...

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So I was thinking of making a general Android Custom ROM thread for the OT board. Would this be a totally stupid idea? Obviously it wouldn't be crazy thorough, I'd push people to visit xda, and have the big I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK etc... etc... stuff. Just a thought of something I might try and throw together this weekend.

I could link to commonly used recoveries like Clockwork and TWRP as well as common ROMs like CM, AOKP, and Paranoid. I could also throw out things like 5 things to check if you have problems flashing.

IDK just a thought...

A little knowledge can get you into a lot of trouble with roms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom