• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was thinking of making a general Android Custom ROM thread for the OT board. Would this be a totally stupid idea? Obviously it wouldn't be crazy thorough, I'd push people to visit xda, and have the big I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK etc... etc... stuff. Just a thought of something I might try and throw together this weekend.

I could link to commonly used recoveries like Clockwork and TWRP as well as common ROMs like CM, AOKP, and Paranoid. I could also throw out things like 5 things to check if you have problems flashing.

IDK just a thought...

i dunno man, that is a subject that can get very technical and varies by manufacturer... better to point people to the XDA thread if you're not gonna put in the work of guiding people along

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I was thinking of making a general Android Custom ROM thread for the OT board. Would this be a totally stupid idea? Obviously it wouldn't be crazy thorough, I'd push people to visit xda, and have the big I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE USE AT YOUR OWN RISK etc... etc... stuff. Just a thought of something I might try and throw together this weekend.

I could link to commonly used recoveries like Clockwork and TWRP as well as common ROMs like CM, AOKP, and Paranoid. I could also throw out things like 5 things to check if you have problems flashing.

IDK just a thought...

Doesn't sound like a good idea. Most of us who want to already do. And people ask in this thread often.

tino

Banned
You are better of making a how-to guide for xda, because that place is completely alien to casual web users.

Pctx

Banned
You are better of making a how-to guide for xda, because that place is completely alien to casual web users.
Pretty much this. The XDA crowd expect the ROM users to pull log files. Joe Android user is not going to know how to do this or want to do this. Best advice is to stick with Cyanogen on devices as they tend to just work.

-120 dBm is 100% attenuation, otherwise known as no signal. You literally have almost no signal. I'm not surprised you're having problems. Time to switch to Verizon.

Thing is, I didn't have this issue with the Note I =/

I may try swapping it out for another Note II and giving that ago, IDK, I have a feeling something is up with the radio.

EDIT: So I found the problem I think, the default APN settings my phone came with did NOT have the term "hipri" under the APN type, it only had "default,mms,supl"

I was able to go to the XDA forums and find someone who posted the 4G APN settings, which turned out to be exactly what my phone came with BUT without the term "hipri" under APN type, so I added that and voila, it fixed the problems.

The phone also seems to be always on LTE too, even in areas in my house where it wouldn't connect to LTE previously.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
New user here, just got my Nexus 4...

I'm too used to having a unified inbox, and having a separate app for gmail does not sit well with me. Is it a good idea to delete it and add my gmail account through the generic mail app? Also, why doesn't Yahoo Mail support push by default like it does on iOS?

New user here, just got my Nexus 4...

I'm too used to having a unified inbox, and having a separate app for gmail does not sit well with me. Is it a good idea to delete it and add my gmail account through the generic mail app? Also, why doesn't Yahoo Mail support push by default like it does on iOS?
The Gmail app is vastly superior, so it makes more sense to me to add your other accounts to Gmail. You can import all your Yahoo messages and set it up so that you
"send from" your Yahoo address. Let me know if you need any help doing it. Gmail's label system is powerful enough that it can handle and organize all your addresses.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's the general consensus on the HTC One X+?

Solid phone, but to expensive for what it is right now. Regular One X on the cheap low is a better deal persay.

At this point it's hard to recommend a ton of Android phones unless you just have to have a new phone and/or can get a crazy deal. Outside of that I wouldn't recommend most phones outside of the GNII and the Nexus 4.

The longer you wait the stronger I'd say don't do it too. Heck HTC already has their press event set when they are going to unveil their next flagship, and that's in this month. If the phone is over $100 and not the GNII or the Nexus 4 just wait.

It's only slightly larger than the One X+, if you are in the US or Canada then the ZL is heading there as well which is a 5" screen but physically the same size as the One X+.

Well, I'm in Australia, so it looks like I'll be missing out on that.

To better phrase my original question, what phones at this point are considered an upgrade from the S2?
My contract runs out later this year and I know it's early, but I'm already looking at new phones. Just to take into consideration though, I'm not rushing out with my heart set on it.

(asides from the S3 by the way)

Well, I'm in Australia, so it looks like I'll be missing out on that.

To better phrase my original question, what phones are considered an upgrade from the S2?
My contract runs out later this year and I know it's early, but I'm already looking at new phones.

(asides from the S3 by the way)

I think Australia is getting the ZL.

Almost any phone from 2013 will be an upgrade on the GS2.

Pctx

Banned
Thing is, I didn't have this issue with the Note I =/

I may try swapping it out for another Note II and giving that ago, IDK, I have a feeling something is up with the radio.

EDIT: So I found the problem I think, the default APN settings my phone came with did NOT have the term "hipri" under the APN type, it only had "default,mms,supl"

I was able to go to the XDA forums and find someone who posted the 4G APN settings, which turned out to be exactly what my phone came with BUT without the term "hipri" under APN type, so I added that and voila, it fixed the problems.

The phone also seems to be always on LTE too, even in areas in my house where it wouldn't connect to LTE previously.

Glad we could help. :) I usually had issues with my Skyrocket until I switched to a the XDA APN's even on stock. AT&T really needs to address this because their LTE radios do a piss poor job of designating HSPA+ vs/ LTE.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
PCTX, any truth to these claims? phonearena warning:

May 15 is fast approaching, and we are expecting Google to deliver the next grand version of Android - 5.0 Key Lime Pie - while throwing in some hardware for a good measure, like the Motorola X Phone project, and new Nexus tablet(s).

Motorola X should not actually be this year's Nexus phone, or Google might have a bit of explaining to do to other Android manufacturers, and after the job posting that confirms its existence, we now have a few more tidbits, thanks to Sniggly.

One of his contacts is allegedly already toying with an early prototype of the Motorola X phone, and his observations so far tie in with what we heard from Google during the last quarterly conference call - that it will work with Moto to address two critical areas where today's smartphones are lacking - battery life and durability.

Toughness will apparently be taken care of with a Kevlar chassis, a material Motorola is already using for its current phones, while battery life is addressed by simply stuffing the X with unit capacity in the realm of Moto's MAXX line of handsets. Though still a prototype, the source said the handset managed to get them through several road trip hours on a charge with the GPS software constantly on, which usually is an activity that kills your juicer in no time.

The phone is allegedly planned to have a screen size about 4.8", though we've heard 5" before, the obligatory quad-core processor, and, thankfully, a microSD card slot, despite that storage is rumored to go all the way up to a 128 GB version. We'll have to see that last one to believe it, though if the rumored $299.99 tag on Verizon with a contract holds water, this might be the version to justify such pricing.

We saved the best for last - besides running stock Android at the moment, the phone is apparently outfitted with a much better camera than the crappy units Motorola currently uses, and the source said it could be a Sony sensor, as Apple's exclusivity with the Japanese has drawn to an end.

If this turns out to be true, all flagships this year but LG, are likely to utilize some variations of the "stacked" Exmor RS camera sensor from Sony, and we don't blame them - it takes much less of the valuable space inside a phone, and has hardwired HDR abilities in both pictures and video mode. The source mentioned that the camera on the prototype is pretty good already, yet with some issues that hint it's far from a finalized sensor-lens-software combo.

To summarize - come May 15, we could be looking at project X, the first Motorola phone with direct input from Google, which might sport a Kevlar back, screen in the 4.8"-5" range, quad-core processor, 3,000+ mAh battery, microSD slot, good amounts of storage, stock Android and an eventual Sony camera sensor. Sounds like a winner from Moto, but lets wait and see if and what of all this will materialize, and will there be any novel features with it, brought on by Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie, which the X is said to be the first phone with.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/More...battery-Sony-camera-sensor-and-Kevlar_id39368

Ah, crap. So I have to worry about what's stored on which location, what's backed up from external sd, what's backed up from internal sd... that shit is so annoying. I hope it has at least 32 GB internal storage so I don't have to use a card.

Madn

I wanted to change the ringtone of my notifications so i manually put the ringtone i wanted in the folder /sdcard/media/audio/notifications. However it only appears with the ringtones for calls and i can't select it for notifications. What should I do?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
The Gmail app is vastly superior, so it makes more sense to me to add your other accounts to Gmail. You can import all your Yahoo messages and set it up so that you
"send from" your Yahoo address. Let me know if you need any help doing it. Gmail's label system is powerful enough that it can handle and organize all your addresses.
Whoa, I can add my non-Google accounts to the gmail app? If it's don't something more complicated than inputting a username and password, then yeah I might need help. If this is possible 30% of my woes will be solved.

Whoa, I can add my non-Google accounts to the gmail app? If it's don't something more complicated than inputting a username and password, then yeah I might need help. If this is possible 30% of my woes will be solved.
Depends what kinds of accounts. Yahoo and Hotmail should be just that simple for instance. But you have to go to the desktop browser interface on a computer, in Settings, under Accounts and Import. You can look through Gmail's help topics or PM me if you run into problems.

If the Motorola phone comes out and has no real weakness in any area, I will gladly sell my current phone whatever it may be at the time and buy it. I pledge that.

Pctx

Banned

Kiraly

Hardly there bezel sounds fanfuckingtastic, the Razr M (while the styling leaves much to be desired) is goddamn design done right.

HTC_M4_specs.jpg

(http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/02/01/after-the-htc-m7-an-m4-and-a-g2/)

One S successor. The Xperia SP (Huashan) sounds better though, and will probably be released far earlier.

Kiraly

Is this even better spec than the One S outside of the memory? Why don't people just buy the One S?

Better screen (One S has qHD and PenTile), more RAM, better camera and Sense 5.0 (yeah..)

It does not seem impressive at all but then again neither does the M7.

I have a Galaxy S2 and I just got a 4.0.4 update for it and ever since then my battery has been draining much faster. Nothing has changed settings wise. I double checked and all of them are the same. No syncing or "push" updates are enabled, nor is GPS. Regardless the battery drains about 1% every 30 mins, doing absolutely nothing with 4G in ZzZ mode.

I could go over 24 hours before with moderate use and now its already hitting 20% after about just 8-10 hours.

PaulLFC

I just got a Nexus 4 today, love it so far. One slight problem though - when I connect it to my computer, I can't see most of the folders that I assume should be there.

For example I had Nova Launcher on my old phone, did a backup which it placed in "sdcard/data/nova/something". I connected my old phone (S2) to my PC and located the file fine, although it was on internal storage as I don't have an SD card in the phone.

Now when I connect my Nexus 4, I see some folders inside "Internal Storage", but no "data" folder with the Nova Launcher folder in. There is "Android/data/" but that doesn't have the app's folder in either.

To be sure it created the folder, I went to Nova settings on the Nexus and told it to make a backup, which it again said it placed in "/sdcard/data/etc". Reconnected the phone to my PC, still can't see this data folder.

Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Fixed it. Found out via StackOverflow I had to reboot the phone to get the folder to show up. It's apparently a bug in 4.2 with the folder cache for MTP.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have a Galaxy S2 and I just got a 4.0.4 update for it and ever since then my battery has been draining much faster. Nothing has changed settings wise. I double checked and all of them are the same. No syncing or "push" updates are enabled, nor is GPS. Regardless the battery drains about 1% every 30 mins, doing absolutely nothing with 4G in ZzZ mode.

I could go over 24 hours before with moderate use and now its already hitting 20% after about just 8-10 hours.

If its anything like the S3 getting its update, it takes 3-4 days to settle down if you don't do a factory reset. Its high usage of the battery with no explainable reason for 3-4 days then it goes back to normal.

If its anything like the S3 getting its update, it takes 3-4 days to settle down if you don't do a factory reset. Its high usage of the battery with no explainable reason for 3-4 days then it goes back to normal.

Lol what? This sounds like some kind of technological black magic or witchcraft to me...

ICS needs a few recharging cycles to optimize battery usage. It should be fine in a few days.

Motorola actually wants to compete with Samsung after all. Hooray for microSD slot!

I am still deeply in love with my Note II and so I won't be needing this new Moto device.

DXPett1

I wanted to change the ringtone of my notifications so i manually put the ringtone i wanted in the folder /sdcard/media/audio/notifications. However it only appears with the ringtones for calls and i can't select it for notifications. What should I do?

Make a folder called Ringtones in the root and place your mp3 file there. If it doesn't show, reboot

ShowDog

I would never recommend an HTC phone to anyone. I have a One X Int right now, and while it was (and is) a beautiful phone, HTC is a shit manufacturer. Their Android flavor (Sense) is terrible in looks, functionality and performance.

I am running CM10 on the phone to get away from Sense, and while it is an improvement it is buggy and no match for stock Android. HTC has failed to provide the source code as they are required despite being a year past launch now, which would help matters with driver support to work off of.

I had the misfortune of having my phone knocked to the ground and screen shattered 3 weeks after purchasing. HTC does not supply official replacement screens, so I was forced to go with a shitty knockoff for $100 on ebay and took it to a repair shop to get installed for another $40. This has resulted in:

Nonfunctional proximity sensor (screen always thinks your face is pressed to it for calls unless you apply substantial pressure to the top left corner of the phone)

Insane amounts of glare (no more antiglare coating and no more sealed vacuum between LCD and glass)

Dust between glass/digitizer and digitizer/LCD, again due to lack of vacuum between LCD and glass and some sort of gap in the screen mechanism. Makes it difficult to see anything on a bright day, and is only getting worse.

Also, these phones come with a manufacturing defect that renders the wifi nearly useless due to a shittily designed contact point mechanism connecting the antenna to the mobo. I had mine fixed when the screen was replaced with some solder and wire, but only because the phone was already taken apart. HTC has refused to acknowledge the problem or fix it under warranty.

I would never buy anything but a Nexus if I were to go Android again. But that is a whole other story.

Like someone else said, unless you can get it for under $100 on contract or cheap off contract and need a phone at this exact moment, it's not worth it. It's running last years specs (64 gb is nice though).

I have an Evo lte, so the one x+ is basically a beefed up version. Solid phone, but has it's own quirks. A 2gb device is what you want in 2013. optimus g pro, m7, Xperia Z, Note 2 (if you don't mind a huge phone).

I haven't had any problems hardware wise, but I have a case and screen protector. The charging port is getting loose, but I should make it to my next phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom