• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Chinese manufacturers are awesome. They're creating a serious downward pressure on the prices. You'll be able to buy a high end spec phone for much less than their Western/Japanese competitors. On the other hand, if you want to pay extra for premium build quality (although this doesn't apply to Samsung) or Android skins, pay extra.

gcubed

and considering I plan to get the ZL or S4, resale value should still be very high by then. So I guess we'll see if this is rumour #129308092 that always sounds better than reality we end up getting, or if it lives up to it.

my contract is up this summer, so i'll have to do the math on breaking it and going prepaid vs waiting it out for the x amount of months. Prepaid should save me ~$50 a month ... which pays for breaking the contract. I just hope the phone is good

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hardly there bezel sounds fanfuckingtastic, the Razr M (while the styling leaves much to be desired) is goddamn design done right.

HTC_M4_specs.jpg

(http://www.unwiredview.com/2013/02/01/after-the-htc-m7-an-m4-and-a-g2/)

One S successor. The Xperia SP (Huashan) sounds better though, and will probably be released far earlier.

What blows my mind about this is that it's an actually a DOWNGRADE processor wise. The current One S shares the same processor as the One X(L). This would actually be a downgrade at least clock speed wise from 1.5ghz to 1.2ghz. Why not just use the 1.5ghz variant you are already using HTC?

I swear HTC you cray cray.

gcubed

What blows my mind about this is that it's an actually a DOWNGRADE processor wise. The current One S shares the same processor as the One X(L). This would actually be a downgrade at least clock speed wise from 1.5ghz to 1.2ghz. Why not just use the 1.5ghz variant you are already using HTC?

1700mah battery... yay 30 minutes of screen time!

HTC is irrelevant anymore, it'd be more interesting to talk about the king of reverse engineering... Huawei

Kiraly

HTC One S was released in Europe with the S4 Plus dual Krait-cores, but due to 'shortages' it was changed a few months in to a fucking S3 Scorpion (the same one as in the Sensation). Now, like almost a year after, the S3 is still the only version you can buy here (Netherlands). They pulled the same shit with the AMOLED->LCD panels in the Desire. No fucking wonder they're going down.

Vanillalite

Who ever actually manufactures those amazaballs HTC SLCD screens should just get those into say a new Moto phone instead and then we'd all be good, and we could stop caring about HTC 110%.

I got my hands on a 4.1.2 Xperia T just now. Super smooth response and minimalistic skin. I hope Sony are able to speed up the roll out to the rest of the 2012 devices now and the other phones get the same quality in the ROM.

Sony have done an amazing job with the release, it's just a shame it took them so long to get it out. Next up Xperia TL, TX, V, then P and Go. S, Ion and Acro S at the end of March.

The Chinese manufacturers are awesome. They're creating a serious downward pressure on the prices. You'll be able to buy a high end spec phone for much less than their Western/Japanese competitors. On the other hand, if you want to pay extra for premium build quality (although this doesn't apply to Samsung) or Android skins, pay extra.

have they been improving with GPL compliance?

Vanillalite

I got my hands on a 4.1.2 Xperia T just now. Super smooth response and minimalistic skin. I hope Sony are able to speed up the roll out to the rest of the 2012 devices now and the other phones get the same quality in the ROM.

Sony have done an amazing job with the release, it's just a shame it took them so long to get it out. Next up Xperia TL, TX, V, then P and Go. S, Ion and Acro S at the end of March.

Speaking of that UK deal on the new Sony Z phone is amazing. Preorder the new flagship and get a free pair of Sony Cans that are actually quite nice.

Wish frick'n we'd get deals like this in the US. Grrrrrr!

Any info on Jelly Bean P deployment?

have they been improving with GPL compliance?

Not sure what's GPL compliance, but if you're refering to Community support, I think they're OK with that, most of their phones have custom ROMa.

Late Feb, possibly early March. It won't be a long wait now. If you are having trouble getting the ICS update just wait it out for the JB update as it brings significant performance upgrades and many, many bugfixes. The ST-E platform tools are supposed to be awful, I think this is likely to be the last time Sony (or any other sensible OEM) goes to ST-E. Ericsson need to reconsider their direction and support levels going forwards.

As a side note - not a lot of people know this but back when Sony Ericsson were threatening developers and locking their devices down, it was the Ericsson half of the company that was driving that stuff. The Sony half was much more inclined to let it go and when the deal was struck internally that Ericsson would sell up, Sony basically took over management of the unit (which also coincided with better hardware and faster release schedules) so SE dropped all of the anti-developer action and reached out to them and basically put a white flag up. Ever since Sony have taken over Sony Ericsson (early 2011) they have made devices that people desire, have been open to developers, have reduced their time between launch and release, they have made a much bigger commitment to updates than SE originally looked to make (Sony drove through the 2.3 update for the X10i and 4.0.4 updates for the lesser 2011 devices).

That attitude of Ericsson still lives on in ST-E, everything is locked down, the developer support is poor, the help for OEMs is poor, they have absolutely terrible time to delivery (A9600 was supposed to be out in Q3 2012, where is it?) and no control on costs. Many blame the French government interference, but I put it down to Ericsson who have proven themselves wholly incapable of dealing with the huge pace of the mobile handset industry.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Yea but you may actually be able to buy one of these.

You can buy a Nexus 4 right now in many countries. And if you're one of those countries that can't, just pretend the phone hasn't been released yet.

The N4 could be officially released next month and it would still make a huge splash and be top dog. I'm not sure why people flip out about shipment issues. I get the excitement of wanting one but I don't get moving onto lesser phones.

Late Feb, possibly early March. It won't be a long wait now. If you are having trouble getting the ICS update just wait it out for the JB update as it brings significant performance upgrades and many, many bugfixes. The ST-E platform tools are supposed to be awful, I think this is likely to be the last time Sony (or any other sensible OEM) goes to ST-E. Ericsson need to reconsider their direction and support levels going forwards.

As a side note - not a lot of people know this but back when Sony Ericsson were threatening developers and locking their devices down, it was the Ericsson half of the company that was driving that stuff. The Sony half was much more inclined to let it go and when the deal was struck internally that Ericsson would sell up, Sony basically took over management of the unit (which also coincided with better hardware and faster release schedules) so SE dropped all of the anti-developer action and reached out to them and basically put a white flag up. Ever since Sony have taken over Sony Ericsson (early 2011) they have made devices that people desire, have been open to developers, have reduced their time between launch and release, they have made a much bigger commitment to updates than SE originally looked to make (Sony drove through the 2.3 update for the X10i and 4.0.4 updates for the lesser 2011 devices).

That attitude of Ericsson still lives on in ST-E, everything is locked down, the developer support is poor, the help for OEMs is poor, they have absolutely terrible time to delivery (A9600 was supposed to be out in Q3 2012, where is it?) and no control on costs. Many blame the French government interference, but I put it down to Ericsson who have proven themselves wholly incapable of dealing with the huge pace of the mobile handset industry.
what a bunch of dicks

Yeah, ICS hasn't been the best and I'm still stuck on .54 fw (although .72 doesn't do much anyway) and from the looks of it, JB looks amazing, especially in the performance and UI departments (which happen to be the most important one). I love my P, but it would be great if it got a performance boost and some bugfixes.

And thanks for the release info, you're awesome. I can't wait to update.

Not sure what's GPL compliance, but if you're refering to Community support, I think they're OK with that, most of their phones have custom ROMa.
i'm talking about releasing linux kernel source

You can buy a Nexus 4 right now in many countries. And if you're one of those countries that can't, just pretend the phone hasn't been released yet.

The N4 could be officially released next month and it would still make a huge splash and be top dog. I'm not sure why people flip out about shipment issues. I get the excitement of wanting one but I don't get moving onto lesser phones.

hey now, until this week, it was pretty much impossible for normal people to get one. some people may not realize they're actually available for purchase at normal prices as of a few days ago.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
hey now, until this week, it was pretty much impossible for normal people to get one. some people may not realize they're actually available for purchase at normal prices as of a few days ago.
Yeah. But I don't see how that matters. Again, if the phone came out in a month from now, it would still make the same splash. Let's just pretend it did.

huh, just unlocked the bootloader and nothing was wiped.
on what device?

Yeah. But I don't see how that matters. Again, if the phone came out in a month from now, it would still make the same splash. Let's just pretend it did.
nah, the splash it made before xmas is definitely bigger than the splash it would make if it released this march. especially with all of the 1080p phone announcements that have happened since then.

Who ever actually manufactures those amazaballs HTC SLCD screens should just get those into say a new Moto phone instead and then we'd all be good, and we could stop caring about HTC 110%.

I don't even know what the big deal is about those screens. At the end of the day they are still LCD. Super AMOLED blows LCD away even at a lower resolution.

tino

Banned
^ no

If Nexus 4 come out next month its a proper successor of One S class phone, nothing special.

It's almost as if you can't actually control the color saturation on your device! The Screen Mode option in my Note II's Display settings, it does nothing!

i know! crazy!

I don't care about tweaking settings, alls I know is any time I've seen the two next to each other the SLCD always looked better.

this is like the camera comparisons where people use default settings...

or showroom tvs

PaulLFC

I'm loving the Nexus 4 and Android 4.2 (upgrade from 4.0.4 on the GS2) - the only minor complaint I have with it is the alarm clock, seems like a downgrade from ICS.

On my old phone I could set a number of snoozes before it wouldn't let me snooze the alarm any more, say "10 minutes 3 times" - now I only seem to be able to set "10 minutes" with no control over the number of times.

Also when locked my phone used to show the next alarm time on the lockscreen, in 4.2 it doesn't seem to do that.

Were those features something Samsung implemented in their version of ICS (doubt it)? Or did the app just get a downgrade?

It's almost as if you can't actually control the color saturation on your device! The Screen Mode option in my Note II's Display settings, it does nothing!

That's not even half the problem. I seriously doubt you can correct the god awful gamma without some proper hardware tools because I haven't figured it out on my Galaxy S3. Greyscale performance has always been wonky on Samsung's OLED phones and initial gamma curve gamma is so bad that some phones end up with black crushing. Going on XDA to fix it is not really a solution because the place is 99% white noise. This is a problem I've seen on all Samsung phones (let's be honest, Samsung are the only people who make half decent phones using OLED). Its much less of a problem on the Note II so maybe they're finally learning?

Screens should come out of the box as good as they can be. Everyone else can do this, why can't Samsung? Apparently even HTC did a pretty good job with gamma on the One S OLED screen so its not impossible to do a decent job precalibrating the screen. Wide gamut is kind of shitty but you're absolutely right that you can kind of calibrate it out easily by reducing the saturation. As Tino says, though, reds and greens still look stupid but that's to be expected.

what a bunch of dicks

Indeed. That's why I think Ericsson need to seriously reconsider their direction in the mobile devices space. They are taking over the whole of ST-E later this year and closing down the Grenoble development centre, after that there will be no hiding behind "French government interference". At SE they hid behind Sony and said Sony were the reason for the failures, at ST-E they have blamed the French government.

Well now we're going to see which party in SE was at fault, since the E half has left the company has become the number three player WW, and at ST-E we're seeing the ST half leave, my money is on the E half pissing it all away and selling their IP up for very little money in 2014. I know Sony have their eye on Ericsson's modem IP and supposedly Apple do as well, I would't be surprised if they bought it together like the Nortel IP.

Question for those on Verizon 4G:

Have you noticed that if you download a large file or otherwise use a bunch of bandwidth (e.g. tethering a laptop for media use) you get kicked down to 3G? It happens to me all the time. I don't know if it's an Android problem, a Verizon problem, or a Verizon "feature." Any way around it?

That's not even half the problem. I seriously doubt you can correct the god awful gamma without some proper hardware tools because I haven't figured it out on my Galaxy S3. Greyscale performance has always been wonky on Samsung's OLED phones and initial gamma curve gamma is so bad that some phones end up with black crushing. Going on XDA to fix it is not really a solution because the place is 99% white noise. This is a problem I've seen on all Samsung phones (let's be honest, Samsung are the only people who make half decent phones using OLED). Its much less of a problem on the Note II so maybe they're finally learning?

Screens should come out of the box as good as they can be. Everyone else can do this, why can't Samsung? Apparently even HTC did a pretty good job with gamma on the One S OLED screen so its not impossible to do a decent job precalibrating the screen. Wide gamut is kind of shitty but you're absolutely right that you can kind of calibrate it out easily by reducing the saturation. As Tino says, though, reds and greens still look stupid but that's to be expected.

There's a site called Displaymate that analyzes screens. The AMOLEDs weren't the overall best according to their shoot outs.

Vanillalite

On a side note I've noticed an influx of junior members to our thread! Welcome all! Please stay and enjoy the fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom