• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
20130204133159.png

Charging paused. Voltage too high.

Urgh, this is driving me crazy

Edit: the image works but I don't think it's displaying. Posting from phone.

W1SSY

I saw how Carbon was finally released. I was excited a couple months ago but now that Falcon is out I don't even want to try Carbon.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My Nexus 10 is here! Man, the aspect ratio really does feel like crap compared to an iPad. The buttons being at the bottom of the screen, like a phone, also suck.

Going to install Paranoid on this thing.

It's great to be done with iOS.

gcubed

My Nexus 10 is here! Man, the aspect ratio really does feel like crap compared to an iPad. The buttons being at the bottom of the screen, like a phone, also suck.

Going to install Paranoid on this thing.

It's great to be done with iOS.

16:10 actually works well for 7" or so tablets... makes 10" awkward to hold

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
HTC's death spiral continues. I give them one more year before they are gobbled up by a competitor.
Now focusing on low-cost handsets and emerging markets like China.

HTC plans to shift its focus to emerging markets and selling low-end phones in China in light of lower-than-expected first quarter earnings, Reuters reports. In a call to investors on Monday, HTC chief financial officer Chang Chia-Lin said the company would offer a cheaper smartphone in China — in the price range of 1,000 to 2,000 yuans — and would continue to tackle emerging markets like Myanmar, where HTC recently launched a phone with local fonts.

Just one month ago, HTC CEO and co-founder Peter Chou told The Wall Street Journal that this year would be a turning point for the company, and that "the worst for HTC has probably passed." However, judging by HTC's disappointing predictions for its Q1 revenue, the company has yet to pull out of its ongoing slump. HTC expects its first quarter revenue to fall between $1.69 and $2.03 billion (NT$50 to NT$60 billion), compared to $2.03 billion last quarter and $2.22 billion one year ago.

Cipherr

HTC's death spiral continues. I give them one more year before they are gobbled up by a competitor.

Noone to blame but themselves. I was pretty much buying that they may have figured things out in early 2012 when they announced they were unifying behind the One series as a single device.

But then they broke that vow before it even came to market by splitting it into the One X, the EVO-LTE, and the One S, the One V and the the One X+ a few months later and then a Butterfly out of nowhere, followed by abandoning the name 'One' altogether in 2013 by going with this new M7 name; So much for building a brand! And of course theres the seemingly random insistance on not moving up in battery capacity like every other OEM, and don't get me started on the problems with rooting and the device update support which everyone else seems to be improving except for HTC. Oh, and where is the advertising? Ohhh thats right.... when you don't establish a premium cohesive brand, you aren't able to effectively advertise because all your devices have wildly different designs and names! GG!

I will give them that Sense 4 was lighter, and a step in the right direction, and that the OneX is a gorgeous phone that is well designed. Also the LCD2/LCD3 screen tech is the best in the industry right now as well. But they have consistently missed every other metric for like 2 years. Time for them to step aside for Sony who has been doing nothing but improving those last 2 years.

Wow, they are pinning their turnaround on markets like Burma and Laos. That's not a good strategy.

The problem for them is that in China the local mainland manufacturers are doing fine and Samsung and Sony are making inroads, but they seem to be in reverse. In Vietnam they have fallen behind Sony and Samsung and in Thailand they are in third place as well. In India they are well behind Samsung and Sony, HTC have a bad reputation in India so I don't see them making any kind of impact there. They just closed their Latin American regional sales office last year so they aren't even bothering with the massive growth markets like Brazil, Colombia, Bolivia and Chile while Samsung hoover up market share and Sony release dedicated devices like the ZQ for Brazil to take advantage of the newly build LTE network that the middle classes want to use.

Honestly this company is done. I think they will end up selling to someone like Toshiba who have been looking to expand their handset division outside of Japan, or to a complete unknown Chinese mainland brand who will get a state backed loan to buy HTC and repatriate it to the mainland.

Ohhh thats right.... when you don't establish a premium cohesive brand, you aren't able to effectively advertise because all your devices have wildly different designs and names! GG!

Even though the Galaxy and Xperia brands are a bit of a mess with the naming, they are both brands in their own right now, when someone says Xperia they are talking about a Sony smartphone and when someone says Galaxy the same is true for Samsung. A company name should never be used as the main branding tool, using HTC was a poor decision from the start, it doesn't roll of the tongue like Galaxy or Xperia, and it makes the phones hard to market.

The "One" idea was poor as well, Desire was the best brand HTC had. They should have kept that as their Galaxy and released the Sensation as the Desire S, the One X as the Desire S2 and built their premium line around the Desire like Samsung build their premium line around the original Galaxy.

tino

Banned
The one series are good ideas, they should keep doing it.

One X, X2, X3 ... unbranded HTC flagship
One S, S2, S3 ... same innards as the X but with a smaller screen.
One V .... unbranded HTC cheap phone.

Other carrier specific phones should have different names and different shapes.

Futureman

pretty much everytime I open Google+ on a computer, it pops up the stupid "Find Your Friends" thing. Is there some way to disable this? Pretty annoying that it shows up so often.

Oh, wow, HTC focusing on emerging markets sellng phone with razor thin margins. That's one of the dumbest things they could have done. And their problem isn't the naming, it's the fact that their phones suck.

buhdeh

Poor HTC. I really liked the One X. If only they fixed the battery life, blew up Sense, and moved the power button from the top to the side, I probably would've bought one.

Sense will always be the worst thing. And they always get blasted for it every year, and every year they promise to slim it down. They need to take a bigger step with that already.

Making big steps takes time. Sony sucked in 2010, improved in 2011 and started making serious phones and software in 2012. I bought a Sony in 2010. but I didn't know any other Xperia owners back then. Fast forward 3 years, I own a new Xperia, my sister switched from HTC to Xperia and a friend of mine whom I showed my phone went to a store and bought a brand new Xperia S, mainly thanks to the great value and awesome Android skin. Stuff like Walkman makes a huge difference. Samsung and Sony are the prime choice for most people right now, HTC is losing marketshare as fast as Nokia a year ago. They need a rapid strategy shift and their choice to focus on cheap phones is the worst choice they could have made. The Chinese phone makers will obliterate them.

Wow you got a Xperia X10 or something? you are a hardcore Sony fan.

Yeah, an X10 Mini Pro. :( I wish I had a time machine, that was one of the worst phone choices I ever made. The sofware was awful and the build quality unrivaled in terms of being terribile.

TheTowel

Also to be noted, HTC recently moved marketing and advertising in-house when they got their new marketing chief this year. Umm.. we'll see how that goes.

I didn't know it was paid on Windows Phone. Wow.

It was $1.99 with a trial mode, which is actually pretty fair, because apparently it was a good client (never used it).

The app fetches for $1.99 and it is certainly one of the nicest Twitter apps on our platform. What's even better is the developers ended up submitting version 1.1 of the app, bringing even more functionality to the mix including the uber cool "inline images in your timeline".

But then the developer abandoned it 7 months later, because he wasn't happy with the user numbers. Not sure what he expected, after coming from WebOS and (re)launching exclusively on Windows Phone.

Carbon was meant for only one platform. Given the team that works on the product is a one man army(except for the WP7 version) it'd be tough to support multiple apps, specially if it wasn't financially rewarding to keep on working on them.

year late iirc

It was supposed to come out in September.

20130204133159.png

Charging paused. Voltage too high.

Urgh, this is driving me crazy

Edit: the image works but I don't think it's displaying. Posting from phone.

Okay, now it works. I've been getting this for about a week now, but it's slowly getting more extreme. Oddly enough, it went away for a few hours yesterday afternoon only to return later that night. I've tried other batteries and I get the same issue. On top of this, my screen has been "flashing". It's like one of those old CRT monitors that have flashing lines when you scroll or something.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
the tech media slams every skin. why should HTC listen when the tech media says the same thing about TouchWiz?
sense by far gets blasted the most though, more than touchwiz. I think people are warming up to touchwiz in the media, or at least are less mindful of it compared to a year ago, whereas everyone hates Sense like always.

Sense is factually more bloated than touchwiz. It's simply worse. They deserve the blasting it gets. Any time I see the multitasking screen I just let out a big SIGHHHH. Such stupid stuff going on in that skin.

Just look at these 2 as an example:

Verge one X review: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919202/htc-one-x-review

Verge Galaxy S3 review: http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/25/3042640/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review

Sense gets blasted, more of a liability than an asset they say. Whereas for Touchwiz they simply state that it's still there and yeah it's no stock and you gotta get used to it, but it also mentions that it the tweaks to android are mostly good. It's like this in a lot of places. Sense is just not well received like...at all. Never was outside of people complimenting general aesthetics.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
sense by far gets blasted the most though, more than touchwiz. I think people are warming up to touchwiz in the media, or at least are less mindful of it compared to a year ago, whereas everyone hates Sense like always.

Sense is factually more bloated than touchwiz. It's simply worse. They deserve the blasting it gets. Any time I see the multitasking screen I just let out a big SIGHHHH. Such stupid stuff going on in that skin.

Just look at these 2 as an example:

Verge one X review: http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/2/2919202/htc-one-x-review

Verge Galaxy S3 review: http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/25/3042640/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review

Sense gets blasted, more of a liability than an asset they say. Whereas for Touchwiz they simply state that it's still there and yeah it's no stock and you gotta get used to it, but it also mentions that it the tweaks to android are mostly good. It's like this in a lot of places. Sense is just not well received like...at all. Never was outside of people complimenting general aesthetics.

Yeah, Samsung actually listened to a lot of the criticism of TouchWiz and toned it down a bit for the Note 2 and GS3. HTC seem to be impervious to all criticism of Sense. They think it's awesome, and I think this attitude comes from Peter Chou, he made HTC a big success with these tactics and now seems to think he can do no wrong.

We'll see what they bring for the next phone, but I would be surprised if they released a light, nimble overlay like Sony or even tone it down like Samsung. The direction they are taking seems like an impossible one.

What's worse is that the reason HTC are locking down their devices is that people are highly motivated to get rid of Sense, and in doing so they get rid of HTC's ecosystem apps which are attached to their stores.

HTC as a company are done. If you have any stock, sell it.

The thing that really bugs me about Sense compared to other skins, and lots of the media seems to agree these days. It's that with TouchWiz, most of the biggest changes to android actually add functionality, like multi-window and all that. Whereas with Sense, 99% of the differences are for absolutely no fucking reason other than to make things worse.

But yeah I actually used to like HTC quite a bit, but now I'm at a point where I can't imagine ever wanting to buy one of their products, despite having an appealing thing or 2.

To me personaly, even more baffling decision than pursuing Sense is the fact that HTC does not release tablets. I really have no idea why did they made such a decision considering just how important tablet market is. And not to mention how much it adds to the value of your eco system.

tino

Banned
To me personaly, even more baffling decision than pursuing Sense is the fact that HTC does not release tablets. I really have no idea why did they made such a decision considering just how important tablet market is. And not to mention how much it adds to the value of your eco system.

I guess they spend alot less R&D dollar than...the rest of the Asian OEM.

Pctx

Banned

They released two IIRC. There really isn't any big money in the tablet market yet which is why they are choosing to abstain from it.

They released two IIRC. There really isn't any big money in the tablet market yet which is why they are choosing to abstain from it.

I know about that 7" Flyer or whatever it's called. And even making no money on them it's a great way to familiarize more people with your brand and it's USPs and to get them to buy your phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom