• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

DXPett1

That messenger icon is terrible because it means there's still more than one messaging client. It just looks like they are housing them in one spot. It's an improvement but it's not what I want.

Blue → Google Voice/Google Talk
Green → Stock Messenger
Red → Google+ Messenger
Yellow → Google+ Hangouts

Android Police is amazing.

Or...it just a messaging icon featuring the Google colours?

kehs

Banned
Oh yeah, apologies to anyone that bought a co star or a google tv on my earlier comments.

That thing is pissing me off to to end lately.

The launcher is stuck in a perpetual force close loop. Shitty market is still shitty. Still haven't gotten a simple app update for the tv app that was released months ago. Chrome sucks (even more than chrome on JB).

At least the shitty controller has a netflix button that allows me to go directly into the app to watch house of cards. (That is, when I CAN actually connect because the wifi reception is absolute shit).

I'm pretty close to tossing it, but it keeps me warm with it's billion degree radiant heat from having to run shitty homeycomb.

gcubed

may have asked before but I don't think I got a response.

has anyone deleted their Google Music library and re-uploaded since they implemented the scan-and-match system? About 30% of my library has fucked up artist/album/song tags. They are perfect in iTunes (which I used to use exclusively from like 2003-2011). Wondering if deleting and reuploading will sort things out? Does Goog actually scan the waveform of the file, or does it scan and match based off the song's ID3 tags? (I assume the former as it would be easy to trick it otherwise??)

they scan the waveform i believe. That being said, they were supposed to start scanning already uploaded files recently and converting them over to "matched" files.

Oh yeah, apologies to anyone that bought a co star or a google tv on my earlier comments.

That thing is pissing me off to to end lately.

The launcher is stuck in a perpetual force close loop. Shitty market is still shitty. Still haven't gotten a simple app update for the tv app that was released months ago. Chrome sucks (even more than chrome on JB).

At least the shitty controller has a netflix button that allows me to go directly into the app to watch house of cards. (That is, when I CAN actually connect because the wifi reception is absolute shit).

I'm pretty close to tossing it, but it keeps me warm with it's billion degree radiant heat from having to run shitty homeycomb.

you never listen to me

High Tech Computer Corporation
they can go to hell. HTC is SO 2012.

i dunno man, S3 and Note 2 both feel solid to me
it's not BAD, but it's bad in comparison. I hold an iphone or even the xperia T which is plastic, and a bunch of others and then the difference becomes instantly noticeable. It's not just me of course as every outlet seems to mention it but it's just one of those things...Samsung is the premium android handset maker, why not step it up. Them margins I guess.

Is there any word on touchwiz 6.0? I never really follow samsung news that much but do they normally release a new version with every big device or is it random? Are they usually very different?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Which is the better place to buy a phone from?

Costco has a bunch a free stuff like a battery charger that comes with it but Best Buy has that $50 gift card dealy.

If there's a better option I'm all ears.

gcubed

they can go to hell. HTC is SO 2012.

it's not BAD, but it's bad in comparison. I hold an iphone or even the xperia T which is plastic, and a bunch of others and then the difference becomes instantly noticeable. It's not just me of course as every outlet seems to mention it but it's just one of those things...Samsung is the premium android handset maker, why not step it up. Them margins I guess.

anecdotal, but 2 out of every 3 iphones i see have some shattered piece to them, front or back. If thats what I have to deal with for a quality "feel", screw that

anecdotal, but 2 out of every 3 iphones i see have some shattered piece to them, front or back. If thats what I have to deal with for a quality "feel", screw that
definitely anecdotal. I see people rocking their 4s and 4S's naked daily at in my classes and they're all pristine. Mine looked worse in a case lol. The iphone 5 for instance is solid, wont break or crack and feels great in the hand. Sony phones feel great in the hand despite using plastic. Same goes for Nokia phones.

Higher quality does exist, just because samsung ignores it doesn't mean it's not easily doable :(

Mew2

Neo Member
Hey I don't mean to hijack in any way but...

What's the best Tablet out right now? I'm looking at the Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch and wanted to know if anything else was good

I prefer android based but Metro kinda looks nice

Samsung Galaxy Discover™ (Net10 and Straight Talk)

nkD5itn.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

What's the best Tablet out right now? I'm looking at the Galaxy Tab 2 7 inch and wanted to know if anything else was good

Nexus 7 all day everyday over any other 7 inch Android tablet.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I don't think there's anything wrong with the plastic on the SIII or Note 2. I have an SII and i feel the SIII looks and feels much better.
Compared to the Nexus 4, Sony's current range of phones and iPhones, the Samsung plastic body look and feels cheap.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_002.jpg

The LG Mobile poster doesn't actually mention smartphones, but we doubt it's about tablets. Around this time last year LG announced its L-series smartphones - it was at the MWC 2012. With MWC 2013 fast approaching, it's almost a given that the new announcement will take place there. The L series, which LG announced last year, included the L3, L5 and L7 smartphones, but later on LG added a few more models, so the L series now comprises of no less than six models.
Back at CES earlier this year an LG spokesperson hinted of a new range of "tier one premium handsets" for 2013, which we would see at MWC 2013. We certainly hope today's teaser is about those. This sounds way more intriguing than another slew of mid-range handsets.

tino

Banned
Compared to the Nexus 4, Sony's current range of phones and iPhones, they Samsung plastic body look and feels cheap.

As long as its lighter I dont care about the material.

So far I haven't had to cross shop a Samsung phone with a non samsung phone base on the fit and finish. The non removable battery has automatically disqualify most of them.

kehs

Banned
So I think my bitch fest forced Vizio's hand, there's a new update out for the costar.

Shame I have to factory reset this stupid puck first.

reKon

Banned
So after spending a few days on Xenon HD 4 for the Galaxy Nexus I can say that it shits all over AOKP Milestone 1 (which was a 4.1.1 build). I don't know if 4.2 on AOKP was a big improvement, but Xenon HD is featured packed, and much more smooth than AOKP was for that build I used, especially when it came to the notification bar messaging. Battery life seems like it might be just a bit worse, but to honest I'm not certain because I haven't had this for to long

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Xperia SP er..spotted:

Xperia-SP-and-Xperia-V_2.jpg

The Sony Xperia SP (C530X), codenamed HuaShan has appeared in a new bunch of pictures, showing off its wares alongside the Xperia V (LT25i). It is interesting to note that the Xperia SP has a slightly larger build than the 4.3-inch Xperia V. This suggests a larger display for the Xperia SP, perhaps 4.55-inches like the Xperia ion?

Other information leaked by a tipster to Android-Hilfe.de suggests that it will come with a removable back plastic cover to access the memory card slot. However, the tipster also suggests that the battery is not removable. The model in the pictures is C5303, which is the LTE version of the Xperia SP. The Xperia SP (C5302, C5303, C5306) will use a Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro MSM8960T chipset with a 1.7GHz dual-core processor, Adreno 320 graphics and sport a 720p display.

Xperia SP (left) versus the Xperia V (right)

iavi

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/02/04/stock-android-isnt-perfect-jelly-bean-4-2-edition/

Now when someone points all this stuff out it's obvious that Android needs bigger and faster upgrades to 'get there'. Far from perfect but at least in my case, the huge (good) changes from GB to ICS clouded my judgement a bit.

Excellent piece. Almost every issue he's listed there, I've had/have an issue with. Just those being addressed in 4.3 would make it a fantastic update, sans new features. A good bug fix release.

Did Google ChromeOS always use the same icon from Android (Gingerbread) for the apps draw?

chrome_os_messaging_icon_512.jpg

Also...UNIVERSAL MESSAGING IS COMING
to ChromeOS

I love that icon.

Threi

notag

Nexus 7, hands down.

Futureman

man. Charging my GNex ALL THE TIME wouldn't be quite as annoying if the damn USB plug would stay in the bottom of the phone. Why is this connection so damn flimsy? Manufacturers need to come up with some new standard or something.

*releases phone with Stock Android*

*on a version number lower than their TouchWiz phones*

A+ troll by Samsung

man. Charging my GNex ALL THE TIME wouldn't be quite as annoying if the damn USB plug would stay in the bottom of the phone. Why is this connection so damn flimsy? Manufacturers need to come up with some new standard or something.

maybe the slot on your phone is just loose? or the plug is worn?

Doopliss

Got my GS2 back from repair today (it had hard-bricked). I wasn't aware that they'd done a full factory reset so upon booting it up I got the nasty surprise of being greeted by ICS all touched-up with Samsung's Wiz. It almost makes me wish it was still broken. I need to get CM10.1 on this thing ASAP... and stare at the sun for an hour or something to cleanse the hideousness from my retinas. At least this experience has served as a reminder, a few months before I get a new phone, of just how awful Smaung are. Not even going to correct that typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom