• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

What can I do to find out which app is using the wifi like crazy causing my Nexus 10 to die in two days without ever turning the screen on? All the use is under "Android OS" and I've tried to turn off everything I can think of that was sucking power (Currents for example) but still was not able to nail it down.

Hey AndroidGAF,

Considering moving away from the whole Microsoft ecosystem and coming to the Android finally. Would it be possible to move my sim from the Lumia 920 to a Nexus 4 even though the 920 is LTE?

Talon

Hey AndroidGAF,

Considering moving away from the whole Microsoft ecosystem and coming to the Android finally. Would it be possible to move my sim from the Lumia 920 to a Nexus 4 even though the 920 is LTE?
You will need to call AT&T when you get your phone. The LTE plan and the 3G plan are actually different plans entirely, so they need to shift you over.

kehs

Banned
There's nothing like getting an interim honeycomb based update in 2013 and launching amazon to see a gingerbread-esque interface.

Android™

Chrome for Android may soon have a Dev channel for avant-garde web viewers

Desktop Chrome users have access to stable, beta and developer versions for some time, but Google has only opened up Android to the first two so far. It might willing to go one step further, if François Beaufort's discovery is any indication. The developer has spotted a Dev channel build of the mobile browser lurking in a tracker alongside the beta and stable code. While the release isn't accessible, it's clearly a step ahead of the latest public software. We've reached out to Google to learn whether or not this is a sign of downloadable Dev versions to come, or just a peek behind the curtain; we'll let you know if there's a chance to experiment even further with Chrome than what's possible today.

You can already get Nightly, Aurura, Stable, Beta versions of Firefox on Android, so Chrome should release all of theirs.

tino

Banned
Hmm, what do you dislike about Lumias? Is it the OS?

If you unlock your 920 and sell it, you should have enough money to get a N4 without losting much money.

If you wait for a ATT Galaxy S4, you probably have to wait till June, May best case. HTC M7 should come out 2 months before that. Althought you can get an unlocked Galaxy S3 for 500-ish, which is still better than N4 IMO.

Sony ZL should be out very soon, maybe less than a month. But I doubt you can get it under 600.

and happy with HSPA+. Might be best to wait till MWC in 2 weeks before you dive in.
not like AT&T or T-Mobile are rolling in DAT LTE plus T-Mo's HSPA+ is pretty fast.

or battery life llolol
average battery life is bad now?

Damn, so might as well just keep my Lumia lol.
fuck no, get the Nexus 4. you can get a better device, but that would mean either a contract or paying twice the price. don't let a few shortcomings scare you.

not like AT&T or T-Mobile are rolling in DAT LTE plus T-Mo's HSPA+ is pretty fast.

fuck no, get the Nexus 4. you can get a better device, but that would mean either a contract or paying twice the price. don't let a few shortcomings scare you.
how many lololols do I have to put!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I agree with Faceless. Just because you won't necessarily get the absolute best phone doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade. $350 will get you a nice, new device that's top of the line. Maybe the Galaxy S4 will come out tomorrow but I can guarantee it won't be $300 off contract. It might even be $300 with a contract.

Don't let "best" stop you from achieving "better," especially when "better" will cost you far, far less. It's a way better choice than sticking with the Lumia, IMO.

Well I'm gonna be using it with my existing ATT contract. Maybe I should just go for the Note II or S3.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I mean, are you just desperate to switch to Android right now?

This is the bigger thing. Unless you are desparate now just isn't the time to buy an Android phone sans Nexus 4 or maybe the GNote II. At this point you should wait for the 2013 flagships from Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG etc...

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
LG Note--erm, Optimus Pro spotted:

dq9bTzv.jpg
PHtcVzx.jpg

While LG's current flagship, the Optimus G, has been selling in the US for a while, and hitting Europe and China, we've been hearing about an upcoming upgrade, the Optimus G Pro, for a while now, and even saw the handset confirmed in promo materials with renders.

Over in Japan the G Pro version for NTT DoCoMo actually got announced recently with a 5" Full HD display, and 3,000 mAh battery, but there was speculation for another one in the pipeline, with a larger, 5.5" display.

Now we can actually present you how the 5.5" handset, expected to be announced at the MWC expo later this month, might look like in reality, along with the full, and decidedly mouthwatering specs sheet.

LG's battle horse for H1 will have to stand against such stalwarts like the Sony Xperia Z, HTC M7 and the upcoming Galaxy S IV, and from the looks of it, its chances are pretty favorable.

How does a 5.5" 1080x1920 Full HD IPS-LCD screen sound to you? Not bad for a start, but LG also throws in a 1.7 GHz quad-core Snapdragon with LTE radio, 2 GB of RAM, 13 MP rear camera and 2 MP front one capable of 1080 video, just like on its 5-inch variant.

We saved the best for last - the 5.5" Optimus G Pro will apparently sport a giant 3,140 mAh battery, 32 GB of internal memory and a microSD slot for cards up to 64 GB, indicating it might not even be a unibody design.

Hurray for listening to customers, but lets wait for the official announcement, since there are some other interesting tidbits in the specs sheet, like the slim port, combining "HDMI and RGB" output.

Our source also sent over a picture of allegedly the LG Optimus G Pro version for the Korean carrier LG U+, where you can see the thin side bezel, and the slim physical home key underneath the display.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/5.5-...D-screen-3140-mAh-battery-and-microSD_id39554

This is the bigger thing. Unless you are desparate now just isn't the time to buy an Android phone sans Nexus 4 or maybe the GNote II. At this point you should wait for the 2013 flagships from Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG etc...

Sounds good. What's a good guess of how much will those be off contract? 700?

gcubed

wait until Google I/O for the MOTO BEAST X MODE SUPRA

Vanillalite

So I stand by the fact that I deem Life is Magic as the best game I've ever played on an Android device.

PS: I also hearby state that all mobile games should have at least the option for server side saving.

kehs

Banned
So I stand by the fact that I deem Life is Magic as the best game I've ever played on an Android device.

PS: I also hearby state that all mobile games should have at least the option for server side saving.

What kind of game is that? I bought super hexagon on ios a few weeks ago and I loved it (first digital I've ever bought), but I saw that there were N7 issues for android (lol android).

I need something to keep me busy during down time.

Vanillalite

What kind of game is that? I bought super hexagon on ios a few weeks ago and I loved it (first digital I've ever bought), but I saw that there were N7 issues for android (lol android).

I need something to keep me busy during down time.

Interesting that you ask Coper since I liked the game so much I made a thread about it over in gaming!

Life is Magic!

Oh the m4 mystery was solved by the way. That's just some random phone for china apparently. So no shoopdawhoop by HTC. The M7 leak is legit.

so i was looking at the brief history of an app/game that seems to be all the rage on Instagram nowadays... i mean, seriously, i only found out about it because of Instagram...

What's The Word?

anyway, it was released sometime last year on iOS, and i dunno when it happened exactly, but it shot up in popularity on iOS at the end of the year and then ... some other companies launched similar games on Android

and now that the developers of the iOS app have finally made an Android version, there are already three more popular similar games on Android, and one of those has even been ported to iOS recently!

anyway, what is my point? it looks like some devs will lose money if they aren't prepared to support popular platforms. some other dev out there who wants the money left on the table can make something similar on Android when they see a popular app on iOS and cut the check!

of course this is really conditional and won't work on everything, especially if the app is based on community, like Instagram, or branding like major games, but some devs out there need to watch out, they may lose the first mover advantage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom