• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

Maybe Verizon/Motorola can stop with the bizarre hyper sci-fi commercials for the Droid DNA or the RAZR MAXX and at least show the device being used.

gcubed

Maybe Verizon/Motorola can stop with the bizarre hyper sci-fi commercials for the Droid DNA or the RAZR MAXX and at least show the device being used.

not if its labeled a droid. ITS SO COOL

a few years ago that was 'Droid' but hey Verizon was advertising... if only those other dudes spent some money to advertise their phones like Samsung does.

"those other dudes" don't make as much in a year as Samsung spends on advertising in a quarter.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

You mean you don't want a DROID DNA implanted into your chest? pffft

Talon

You mean you don't want a DROID DNA implanted into your chest? pffft
UPGRADING MYSELF WITH LTE

I've worked in advertising (do internal branding now), and you can just see clear as day that the client has driven all the decision-making for the campaign. The RAZR M was actually an effective ad, and it was completely different than the rest of the DROID ads.

They seem to be doing a cool thing with the camera as well. So they'll have that going for them as well. Still don't think I'd get it either. Just don't see the point when there isht thineebetterr.

Does the cool camera thing remove sense?
nope :(

which is why they still suck. Sense actually has a lot of potential. Their camera software is good, their homescreen is nice. They just always take things too far with they're overly fancy menus and stupid as hell multitasking screen and pointless transitions and whatever else.

Pctx

Banned
No no... it's not the "HTC One" it's pronounced: "HTC Ohana" which means beginning of a flower in Japanese. I see what you're trying to do HTC.... you sick bastards. You ain't deflowering me.

it's the principle of the thing!

but yeah if I used an HTC phone I'd probably use the apex launcher. But I'd always rather just use stock.

I can't believe they're still marketing Sense as a "Feature". They would have better success flashing them with Cyanogen, at least it doesn't cause an eye bleed.

I can't believe they're still marketing Sense as a "Feature". They would have better success flashing them with Cyanogen, at least it doesn't cause an eye bleed.
lol that would be cool actually, if a manufacturer used cyanogen as their main OS. Let the internet deal with updates.

Sense is the only skin out of the big ones I'd use a launcher on. Touchwiz bugs me but I'd probably just use it. Sony's skin actually looks pretty good. Motorola's is barely there.

Hieberrr

I'm so tempted to flash AOKP on my Nexus 4, but it just seems so unstable at the moment. CM 10.1 is also having a bunch of problems with GPS and whatnot.

catmincer

Well damn. Thats actually good news that they are sticking with the 'One' moniker. Assuming they don't allow it to be fractured by the carriers this time; this may actually be the one sole thing that they do right with this phone.

Still not buying it though.

microSD slot and i'd consider it

tino

Banned

OK according to this article HTC has slashed the R&D budget by 60% and forced all engineers to work 12+ hr workday without any OT paid. And recently more than 1000 of them wrote angry an open letter to Peter Chou.

OK back off for a second here. HTC has more than 1000 engineers (not counting the one that didn't signed the letter), work 12 hr a day everyday...

Can anyone explain to me why the fuck does HTC need so many engineers? What the fuck have they done besides sense 5.0 6.0?

OK I will give you the Butterfly. But what else? They don't even have a tablet.

Don't tell me replacing the 720p screen in One X with a 1080p screen require thousands of engineers.

edit: its actually 5 thousand engineers according to the comment.

Quasar

This is the bigger thing. Unless you are desparate now just isn't the time to buy an Android phone sans Nexus 4 or maybe the GNote II. At this point you should wait for the 2013 flagships from Samsung, Sony, HTC, LG etc...

When is the next nexus phone likely? May at GoogleIO?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Probably not till fall. They'll just push KLP to the Nexus 4 and I'd assume the Gnexus. That being said we all fully expect this Moto X phone whatever it turns out to be to be the star phone there. Which is sort of like a Nexus device but not (man the Google/Moto relationship is just soooo weird).

Google I/O should more be the tablet refresh. Well at least the Nexus 7 as it's getting long in the tooth hardware wise. The Nexus 10 might not get a revision as quickly.

Your going to see new flagships from Samsung, HTC, LG, Moto, Sony etc... all in Q2. Considering we are already well on our way in Q1 might as well wait.

Nexus 4 was just announced at the end of Oct 2012. They planned an Android event in NYC to announce it but had to cancel the event due to sandy. It's probably too soon for another Nexus announcement this spring. There were rumors a few weeks back when it seemed like the N4 was never coming back into stock. Things have quited down now that the N4 is back in stock. Nexus phones have largely been end of year releases.

Motorolla's "X" phone is rumored to be announced at Google I/O.

Talon

OK according to this article HTC has slashed the R&D budget by 60% and forced all engineers to work 12+ hr workday without any OT paid. And recently more than 1000 of them wrote angry an open letter to Peter Chou.

OK back off for a second here. HTC has more than 1000 engineers (not counting the one that didn't signed the letter), work 12 hr a day everyday...

Can anyone explain to me why the fuck does HTC need so many engineers? What the fuck have they done besides sense 5.0 6.0?

OK I will give you the Butterfly. But what else? They don't even have a tablet.

Don't tell me replacing the 720p screen in One X with a 1080p screen require thousands of engineers.

edit: its actually 5 thousand engineers according to the comment.
What in the hell are they all working on?

What are you using now pyro?
I got an iphone 4S and my old nexus S lolool (2 phones cuz nexus is on a plan I refuse to get rid of). Dying to replace my iphone already but FUCK everything takes ten years to come out. Sony taking 10 years to ship the ZL, Galaxy S4 still months away. Going to be one of those. Growing impatient. Been sitting on an upgrade for a few months now...

I got an iphone 4S and my old nexus S lolool (2 phones cuz nexus is on a plan I refuse to get rid of). Dying to replace my iphone already but FUCK everything takes ten years to come out. Sony taking 10 years to ship the ZL, Galaxy S4 still months away. Going to be one of those. Growing impatient. Been sitting on an upgrade for a few months now...

this is my problem...

my advice to anyone waiting for a phone to release, get it on day 1 before you hear any rumors of better phones coming out. waiting sucks and for the most part is stupid.

that being said, if i would have waited one month i'd be happy with an S3 and a 64gb micro sd right now. (now that being said, i'd be on samoled pentile eww)

the one saving grace of this piece of shit one xl is the slcd2. clear as day since day 1.

16 gb where only just under 10 is usable is unforgivable. games are huge nowadays.

i keep peeking at HTC (or even at that moto x phone) but God as my witness i'll have my S4 day one. it's gonna cost $600 though since i'm buying it off contract ouch

actually also thinking about switching to T-Mo in So Cal but only if they get their LTE shit together AND they still offer a truly unlimited plan

Pctx

Banned
this is my problem...

my advice to anyone waiting for a phone to release, get it on day 1 before you hear any rumors of better phones coming out. waiting sucks and for the most part is stupid.

that being said, if i would have waited one month i'd be happy with an S3 and a 64gb micro sd right now. (now that being said, i'd be on samoled pentile eww)

the one saving grace of this piece of shit one xl is the slcd2. clear as day since day 1.

16 gb where only just under 10 is usable is unforgivable. games are huge nowadays.

i keep peeking at HTC (or even at that moto x phone) but God as my witness i'll have my S4 day one. it's gonna cost $600 though since i'm buying it off contract ouch

actually also thinking about switching to T-Mo in So Cal but only if they get their LTE shit together AND they still offer a truly unlimited plan

Phone X

this is the problem. By the time the ZL comes out, which by the way is the original phone I've wanted and is currently #1 on my radar. But yeah by the time it comes out, Samsung will have had their S4 conference. But I guess it could help me because if the S4 doesn't seem appealing to me then it would make my decision easier. But if the S4 has something surprising that really makes me willing to put up with the stuff I dislike about samsung, then my decision becomes harder and the waiting game continues.

Then there's the stupid x phone anomaly which could be BS hype or a legit contending device. But that's no biggie. If it's truly going to be sold on the play store at a competitive price, I'll just sell my current phone and buy it, assuming it's that damn good. Which I'm extremely doubtful of outside of battery life.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
No chance the Nexus 10 gets a refresh at IO. The 7, sure, but the 10 came out when the N4 did.

tino

Banned
True, but we already have heard rumors about a Samsung refresh.

Samsung should at least put the dualcore A15 from the N10 in the Galaxy Note 8. I don't mind Samsung pulling an iPad and accerlerate the tablet release schedule. The multiview interface need a faster chip.

--------------------------

On the subject of the forecoming HTC M7 camera. If it indeed use the Sigma X3 technology, let me explain to you the characteristic of this sensor.

In good lighting condition, it gives higher resolution, wider latitute in a more film-like rendering of the scene. However, in low light, it's at least 1 or 1.5 generation behind the traditional bayer style snesor (green-blue-green-red). When Sigma debut its DP1 camera, the high ISO it could go up to was only 800. It may be noicier but the noice like more like film grain which look better on the eyes.

Also color is alittle bit off, particularly in the varieties of green colors. OTOH, Sigma's lens coating has always been a little bit of in the green and blue department. Sigma bing the owner and the only user of the X3 sensor, you couldn't tell if color accuracy problem was casued by the sensor or the lens coating. My opinion is its by the sensor. If HTC is going to use the stacked X3 sensor with somebody else's lens, maybe it can avoid the color reproduction problem.

In general I am in favor of this move. Becuase everybody else will be using the same Sony's 13mp module so HTC can use this unique sensor tro make its photos standout. Not as standout as the Nokia 808 but maybe it can make it as "competitive" as Nokia N8's camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom