• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Nexus 4 was just announced at the end of Oct 2012. They planned an Android event in NYC to announce it but had to cancel the event due to sandy. It's probably too soon for another Nexus announcement this spring. There were rumors a few weeks back when it seemed like the N4 was never coming back into stock. Things have quited down now that the N4 is back in stock. Nexus phones have largely been end of year releases.

Motorolla's "X" phone is rumored to be announced at Google I/O.

Right. Well guess I'll just get a nexus4 then. What I'm wanting is a somewhat affordable unlocked smartphone with no handset maker/carrier shenanigans. And so for android a nexus phone seems like it. I did consider the Lumia 620 which is at a similar pricepoint, but its entry level nature might limit its lifespan somewhat. Plus os upgrades are not clear compared to nexus and ios phones.

Anony

does anyone know if google giftcards work across regions?
in canada, i dont want to store my credit card stuff on google account
was wondering if us giftcards work if i can get someone to buy me one

Samsung should at least put the dualcore A15 from the N10 in the Galaxy Note 8. I don't mind Samsung pulling an iPad and accerlerate the tablet release schedule. The multiview interface need a faster chip.

--------------------------

On the subject of the forecoming HTC M7 camera. If it indeed use the Sigma X3 technology, let me explain to you the characteristic of this sensor.

In good lighting condition, it gives higher resolution, wider latitute in a more film-like rendering of the scene. However, in low light, it's at least 1 or 1.5 generation behind the traditional bayer style snesor (green-blue-green-red). When Sigma debut its DP1 camera, the high ISO it could go up to was only 800. It may be noicier but the noice like more like film grain which look better on the eyes.

Also color is alittle bit off, particularly in the varieties of green colors. OTOH, Sigma's lens coating has always been a little bit of in the green and blue department. Sigma bing the owner and the only user of the X3 sensor, you couldn't tell if color accuracy problem was casued by the sensor or the lens coating. My opinion is its by the sensor. If HTC is going to use the stacked X3 sensor with somebody else's lens, maybe it can avoid the color reproduction problem.

In general I am in favor of this move. Becuase everybody else will be using the same Sony's 13mp module so HTC can use this unique sensor tro make its photos standout. Not as standout as the Nokia 808 but maybe it can make it as "competitive" as Nokia N8's camera.
sounds interesting.

Cipherr

The subtle font change on the website for music.google.com is welcome. Much easier to read now.

OK according to this article HTC has slashed the R&D budget by 60% and forced all engineers to work 12+ hr workday without any OT paid. And recently more than 1000 of them wrote angry an open letter to Peter Chou.

OK back off for a second here. HTC has more than 1000 engineers (not counting the one that didn't signed the letter), work 12 hr a day everyday...

Can anyone explain to me why the fuck does HTC need so many engineers? What the fuck have they done besides sense 5.0 6.0?

OK I will give you the Butterfly. But what else? They don't even have a tablet.

Don't tell me replacing the 720p screen in One X with a 1080p screen require thousands of engineers.

edit: its actually 5 thousand engineers according to the comment.

What in the hell are they all working on?

I dunno what they could be working on honestly.... I mean are the LCD3 screens made in house? If those employees aren't behind that incredible screen tech, then I have no fucking idea what they could be doing.

Sense sure as shit doesn't show signs of having that large a team working on it. HTC is such a clusterfuck.

tino

Banned
The subtle font change on the website for music.google.com is welcome. Much easier to read now.

I dunno what they could be working on honestly.... I mean are the LCD3 screens made in house? If those employees aren't behind that incredible screen tech, then I have no fucking idea what they could be doing.

Sense sure as shit doesn't show signs of having that large a team working on it. HTC is such a clusterfuck.

It was made by Sony, now Japan Display. Low end HTC phones use LCD from a Taiwan supplier. HTC don't make any component.

I will be purchasing the 7 refresh day 1.

i wonder what i'll do (i can never tell)

i thought for sure once I got my Nexus 10, I would sell or at least stop using my Nexus 7. I do barely use it, but it's like my little dev tablet. I keep my Nexus 10 stock rooted, and i beat the Nexus 7 to hell and back (so to speak), so whenever there's a new ROM i need to try out I throw it on the Nexus 7 first, plus I like playing touch games on the 7 because it's easier to hold.

I think i'm leaning in the "not buy" direction on the new 7, but I guess we will see. I'm in a situation now where i finally have control of my finances, so these purchases are more likely to happen. we will see though as the wife is starting to get that biological clock ticking crazyness. once i have a baby i can kiss disposable income goodbye lol.

kehs

Banned
The Google OT never materialized did it andrex?

Figured here's the closest thread:

Eric Schmidt, former CEO and now Chairman of Google, plans to sell up to 3.2 million shares of his class A common stock in the company, according to an SEC filing published Friday. The amount is equal to approximately 42.1 percent of his overall stake in Google. Schmidt will sell off the shares over the coming year in a “pre-arranged trading plan,” created for a “long-term strategy of individual asset diversification and liquidity.”

http://allthingsd.com/20130208/goog...sell-up-to-42-percent-of-stake/?mod=atd_gplus

Sell your Google stocks, it's all over...

This guy is soooo going into public office.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'd like a 1080p Nexus 7.7 refresh.

It's probably too much to hope for a 4:3 aspect ratio Nexus 8 with high-res display.

I'll jump in a second to a 4:3 aspect 10" tablet. I don't care that I just got my Nexus 10 two days ago. 16:10 is such shit.

DNA screens are from Sharp and Japan Dispay Inc. JDI is a Sony, Hitachi, and Toshiba venture.

VanWinkle

After having the iPad mini for a few days, I just can't help but feel 4:3 is so much better for tablets. I think the widescreen ratio is a mistake, but at least the problem isn't quite as bad on the smaller tablets. 7" is a little too small though; I think 7.7" is a great size and would like to see the next nexus be that size. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 is beautiful and looks to be a perfect size. Speaking of which, ts a shame Samsung doesn't put those quality materials and craftsmanship into more of their products. It stands nearly toe to toe with the iPad mini on design and build materials and yet it was way too expensive and released in far too limited an amount. Makes no sense.

Doopliss

As a 4:3 tablet owner I would much prefer a wider aspect ratio screen - I mostly use it for watching YouTube and DVD rips, so a lot of the screen spends most of its time as a letterbox.

I will say, I think Google made a pretty stupid change in 4.2 in adding an extra black bar to the tablet interface, further narrowing the usable display area.

VanWinkle

As a 4:3 tablet owner I would much prefer a wider aspect ratio screen - I mostly use it for watching YouTube and DVD rips, so a lot of the screen spends most of its time as a letterbox.

I will say, I think Google made a pretty stupid change in 4.2 in adding an extra black bar to the tablet interface, further narrowing the usable display area.

If the majority of what you do is videos, then I agree that widescreen is preferable, but that's about the only instance. Web browsing and apps seem to be better on 4:3 thanks to the more usable screen real estate. On a 10" Android tablet, it just does not feel right using in portrait, whereas 4:3 is comfortable in either position.

DXPett1

Sweet, my Nexus 4 has the EXIF data bug and now my photos are being scrambled all over the place. Fucking amateur hour by Google some times.

Anyone experienced this? How did you go about correcting the EXIF data?

My mom is about to pick up a new android device. She is looking at Droid DNA and the SIII

What's the best device out there right now?

Thanks gaf

My mom is about to pick up a new android device. She is looking at Droid DNA and the SIII

Thanks gaf
If she can't wait some weeks since multiple flagships are coming out within the month (depending on where you live), both DNA and S3 are fine. I mean it is a mom. Unless she's ultra savvy or something.

It's a shame the only Android tablet manufacturer of note that goes after 4:3 screens is Archos. I owned a G9 80 for several months but found the general performance woefully lacking on it, not to mention pretty shoddy build quality. I'm willing to give them a second chance with their new Titanium range given the change in build materials, IPS screen and 1gb of memory, but it's still not a Nexus.

catmincer

Thanks gaf

I'd say DNA. Realistically, I cannot imagine any new phones to be vastly improved hardware wise that'll be coming out in the next 2-3 months. Plus, awesome screen res.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Oppp 5 smartphone review. This guy makes really awesome video reviews. I'm going to subscribe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqiFOvF8v0

If that's what you do, then I can understand. But I use my tablet mostly for web browsing. My iPad was better suited. Too bad I couldn't out put Android on it.

I'll jump in a second to a 4:3 aspect 10" tablet. I don't care that I just got my Nexus 10 two days ago. 16:10 is such shit.

so what are your thoughts on the tablet? i'm interested to know why the ratio has been so troublesome for you. also, how have your experiences been aside from that?

EDIT: i see that you do a lot of browsing. i like to use it in portrait, especially on forums. gives me a lot of screen space.

Bboy AJ

so what are your thoughts on the tablet? i'm interested to know why the ratio has been so troublesome for you. also, how have your experiences been aside from that?

EDIT: i see that you do a lot of browsing. i like to use it in portrait, especially on forums. gives me a lot of screen space.

Comparing it to my iPad 3, the battery life is worse and the aspect ratio is terrible. That said, I'm still glad I made the switch because I love Android. It's so much better to have proper notifications and background apps again.

Regarding battery life, this thing lasts a day or two. The iPad was a champ, lasting a week or so before I had to charge it. Now, in the N10's defense, I've never ran it stock. I rooted, ROM'd, and franco kernel'd it in the first minute of use. My worse battery life may be attributable to that. Or maybe I don't have my apps working so well. I just noticed Falcon Pro's streaming mode is streaming 100% of the time, all the time, instead of just when the app is in the foreground. Bad decision on their fault. Who expects an app to work like that? Anyway, I just turned that option off so hopefully the battery lasts better.

I never, ever use my tablets in portrait. The iPad felt alright when using it in portrait but I prefer landscape. It was used 99% of the time in landscape. And it was mostly GAF. So I think our use case differs.

Using the Nexus 10 in portrait is not possible. I'd like to know who actually uses it like that. I can see the Nexus 7 being fine in portrait as it's small enough but the 10, no chance.

On the plus side, Press is really awesome looking on a tablet. Too bad they still haven't figured out how to swipe to the next article instead of the dumb buttons.

kinggroin

Banned
Oppp 5 smartphone review. This guy makes really awesome video reviews. I'm going to subscribe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkqiFOvF8v0

If that's what you do, then I can understand. But I use my tablet mostly for web browsing. My iPad was better suited. Too bad I couldn't out put Android on it.

I prefer Flossy Carter reviews...heh.

If the majority of what you do is videos, then I agree that widescreen is preferable, but that's about the only instance. Web browsing and apps seem to be better on 4:3 thanks to the more usable screen real estate. On a 10" Android tablet, it just does not feel right using in portrait, whereas 4:3 is comfortable in either position.

I'd argue on the games. Can go either way depending on what you're playing, but comics (not books) also benefit from the wider display.

Still, comfort, screen real estate, app usage and web browsing are so much better at 4:3.

kehs

Banned
So fucking stupid:

Screenshot_2013-02-10-10-24-04.png

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm not sure when exactly it happened, but I'm psyched that Google added college basketball cards to Google Now.

I posted about this the other day, and actually sent a tip into Android Police. It seems they added stuff in like a week or two ago. I stumbled upon during mid add as you could get it to come up conditionally.

It seems perfectly smooth now, and I assume it means we'll also get college football cards in the fall as well. Not sure if college baseball will make the cut or not.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a side note I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and while it sort of seems like a little to much or confusing because of the inbetweeness yet I think I'd really love a Nexus tablet in a size between the 7 and the 10.

Granted I think that just makes it a tad confusing. You have the small Nexus 7 and the large Nexus 10. Then to introduce a Nexus 8 or 9 might confuse some people. I think I'd prefer the slightly size bump over the Nexus 7 form factor without becoming crazy big for a tablet like the Nexus 10. They could even price it in between at $300. I can see why Google wouldn't do it though, and it would be a tough sell IMO as you'd say why not just get the Nexus 7 for $100 or else if you are willing to pay more just go all the way and get the 10.

Still something akin to the larger Kindle Fire HD which would put it more into an iPad mini size might be the perfect Android size for me. Nexus 10 just seems to big for 90% of my usage outside of watching say youtube videos or else Netflixing either solo or with a friend/ my gf.

Does anyone know anyway I can really minimize my battery usage?
I have a Sony Xperia iON that I use moderately throughout the day and it doesn't last from 9AM to 5PM.

I already turned the brightness all the way down and I keep the phone on airplane mode when I'm not using it. I also make sure most of the apps are closed but still terrible battery life.

Phone is around 5 months old.

tino

Banned
If there was an android tablet with the exact same dimensions as the ipad mini it would automatically be the best android tablet in existence.

Agreed.

Nope. It's pretty nice.

You guys are all bullshit. That android tablet with the 10" iPad tablet is out. As a matter of fact there are 2 versions. How come you guys are not buying them?

If there is a 8" 3X4 Android tablet out, I bet you people won't spend your own money to buy it. Talk is cheap.

You guys are all bullshit. That android tablet with the 10" iPad tablet is out. As a matter of fact there are 2 versions. How come you guys are not buying them?

If there is a 8" 3X4 Android tablet out, I bet you people won't spend your own money to buy it. Talk is cheap.
I have no idea what you just said lol. Nexus 7 got released --> I bought it because I thought it was great. Then the ipad mini got release and I sold my nexus 7 for one because I think IT is great. If I find an android tablet that matches it and I find it compelling enough, I will buy it. Premium feeling high quality android tablet the same size as the mini with stock android on it kind of makes me drool. And that's ignoring my consistent hesitation because of the lack of tablet apps, which I do use plenty of on my ipad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom