• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Messaging + Google Voice' (Mostly) Combines Android's Stock Texting App With GV Integration

Google Voice is a great service burdened by a lack of support, integration, and easy way to sign up (unless you're on Sprint, of course). Those who do decide to jump the hurdles and either get a brand new number—or port their existing one to Google—will find themselves in an uncomfortable paradise. On the one hand, you can text from your desktop, tablet, or phone completely for free which is awesome. On the other hand, you have to use the Google Voice app, which is not that great. 'Messaging + Google Voice', however aims to alleviate that problem a bit.
someone trying to get that quick cash-in before Google does it...

No more "buttons" though please. Capacitive buttons are much better.
seriously, i would love it if my GN2 had the US GN1 layout

kehs

Banned
For the record, I get MMS pictures to my email when people send them to me.

I doubt all of these people are on sprint also, would be one hell of a coincidence.

tino

Banned
Hope they keep the button.

Disclaimer I am not planning to buy the s4, but I hope they keep the physical button and the capacity buttons.

Hope they keep the button.

Disclaimer I am not planning to buy the s4, but I hope they keep the physical button and the capacity buttons.

I feel if you want to quickly switch between apps the button actually slows down the process a bit. It also feels like a step back compared to capacitive buttons and on scree buttons.

tino

Banned
I feel if you want to quickly switch between apps the button actually slows down the process a bit. It also feels like a step back compared to capacitive buttons and on scree buttons.

I use 4 finger blush left and right to switch to previous and next app, iOS style.

Home button isn't bad but s-voice causes that annoying delay on samsung devices when you press the home button. Makes the phone seem like it's slow when really all you gotta do is disable the ability to open s-voice using the home button and then the speed is normal.

Should be disabled by default, find another way for shitty s-voice to be accessible :p

I just read the GSMarena article about the M7 leak. It says they are using a 13MP stacked sensor for the camera. I had previously heard that they had secured supply of Exmor RS from Sony, but then they started going on about this ultrapixel stuff and how it would compete with the 808 so figured it must have been a mistake or for a different phone, but if they are just using the same 13MP sensor in the Z/ZL and GS4 then the camera hype will turn to shit once the tests show their photos are basically the same as other leading competitors.

tino

Banned
I just read the GSMarena article about the M7 leak. It says they are using a 13MP stacked sensor for the camera. I had previously heard that they had secured supply of Exmor RS from Sony, but then they started going on about this ultrapixel stuff and how it would compete with the 808 so figured it must have been a mistake or for a different phone, but if they are just using the same 13MP sensor in the Z/ZL and GS4 then the camera hype will turn to shit once the tests show their photos are basically the same as other leading competitors.

X3 doesn't performance better than traditional sensor in low light. It would need to be a bigger sensor to achieve better IQ.

X3 doesn't performance better than traditional sensor in low light. It would need to be a bigger sensor to achieve better IQ.

I have not heard of a Foveon phone camera sensor, I don't think that technology would translate well to such a small sensor size, it already struggles in low light with an APS-C sized sensor in the SD1. I wouldn't want to see how terrible pictures would look on a 1/2.3" sensor.

that's an interesting point. It could basically kill that whole arrangement if it comes out and doesn't produce much better results. What if the S4 and the Z/ZL shoot better pics than it lol, that would just be sad.

They must have tested both I assume?

that's an interesting point. It could basically kill that whole arrangement if it comes out and doesn't produce much better results. What if the S4 and the Z/ZL shoot better pics than it lol, that would just be sad.

They must have tested both I assume?

Well if it's the same sensor then they would have to have a significantly better JPEG engine than Sony and Samsung to produce a noticeable improvement. If they went with Foveon, at 13MP the photos would be barely usable at ISO50 on such a small sensor, not even HTC would go with that, the other option with Foveon is to limit the sensor to around 3MP, not something the marketing department would allow when Sony and Samsung are both going to be pushing 13MP. In low light Foveon is basically unusable, the most advanced Foveon with Sigma's advanced JPEG engine craps out at ISO1600, and above that it is terrible.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd1/17

Compare that to the NEX-5N at ISO3200 and look at the difference. Now turn a 1.7x crop factor into a 5.4x crop factor and you can see why Foveon type sensors are just not going to be possible using current technology, and there is no way HTC have sourced some special organic dye based sensor or something like that. Their budget wouldn't allow for that and it would add hundreds of dollars to the build cost.

No, with 13MP they are using Exmor RS and trying to build it up as some unique phone camera revolution, forgetting that Sony already have Exmor RS based phones on the market and the GS4 will also use it.

The only thing I can think of is that they have developed special glass optics with a large aperture of 1.6 or lower which allows for superior performance, however, that would be pretty fragile and need a cover, not something the marketing department would allow.

catmincer

I've found my partner's One X takes much better photos than my Xperia S. The S camera really struggles with direct brightness like a candle flame, even with the exposure level down.

nexusae0_13-1-640x400.png

Users are reporting bluetooth streaming improvements.

Well if it's the same sensor then they would have to have a significantly better JPEG engine than Sony and Samsung to produce a noticeable improvement. If they went with Foveon, at 13MP the photos would be barely usable at ISO50 on such a small sensor, not even HTC would go with that, the other option with Foveon is to limit the sensor to around 3MP, not something the marketing department would allow when Sony and Samsung are both going to be pushing 13MP. In low light Foveon is basically unusable, the most advanced Foveon with Sigma's advanced JPEG engine craps out at ISO1600, and above that it is terrible.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sigmasd1/17

Compare that to the NEX-5N at ISO3200 and look at the difference. Now turn a 1.7x crop factor into a 5.4x crop factor and you can see why Foveon type sensors are just not going to be possible using current technology, and there is no way HTC have sourced some special organic dye based sensor or something like that. Their budget wouldn't allow for that and it would add hundreds of dollars to the build cost.

No, with 13MP they are using Exmor RS and trying to build it up as some unique phone camera revolution, forgetting that Sony already have Exmor RS based phones on the market and the GS4 will also use it.

The only thing I can think of is that they have developed special glass optics with a large aperture of 1.6 or lower which allows for superior performance, however, that would be pretty fragile and need a cover, not something the marketing department would allow.
interesting. Curious to see how it turns out.

I'm on 4.1, how's it with 4.2?

All I can say is that you should stay on 4.1. I wish I did.

4.2 performs somewhat worse than 4.1 (scrolling and opening the app drawer) and it's a visual downgrade. The clock app is a total mess and some changes really anger me. While the inclusion of a stop watch and timer is nice, I can't understand some design decisions.

Then again, I'm really picky about this stuff, but looking at the GN thread, I don't think anyone is happy with 4.2.

All I can say is that you should stay on 4.1. I wish I did.

4.2 performs somewhat worse than 4.1 (scrolling and opening the app drawer) and it's a visual downgrade. The clock app is a total mess and some changes really anger me. While the inclusion of a stop watch and timer is nice, I can't understand some design decisions.

Then again, I'm really picky about this stuff, but looking at the GN thread, I don't think anyone is happy with 4.2.

I didn't get the prompt yet so glad I didn't go with it but did 4.1 have any problems when it came out? 4.2 sounds really nasty in the GN thread.

jokkir

Eh, I'm on 4.2 (or CM10.1) on my Nexus S and the "visual downgrade" isn't too bad since some apps fix it. I prefer the look of the home screen now, actually.

My lock screen:

It looks better than the 4.0/4.1 lock screen, in my opinion. Though, the stock clock is pretty ugly especially with the bolded hours.

That doesn't mean it has a few problems though. I don't get why Google removed the year from the date in the notification drawer, moved the settings button to the quick settings pane (it's badly implemented) and a few other ones I forgot.

I can't really say anything about performance wise though since the CM10.1 build I'm on is still pretty early. It seems the same so far but laggy when I'm turning on and off the screen (which I blame on the early CM10.1 build)

But with that said, I might downgrade back to 4.1/CM10 until that screen off lag is gone.

So have Google managed to make 4.2 as good as 4.1 yet? Or is it still worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung launch the GS4 with 4.1, 4.2 has no major advancements or additions, it only makes stuff worse.

tino

Banned
So have Google managed to make 4.2 as good as 4.1 yet? Or is it still worse.

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung launch the GS4 with 4.1, 4.2 has no major advancements or additions, it only makes stuff worse.

Or just copy google and rename 4.1.3 beta as 4.2 to sell more phones.

I have to go contract free. I have the most valuable plan in America -- five lines on Verizon, each with 4G and each with unlimited data -- and I intend to keep it that way.

I really hope that estimated $300-$350 Play Store price comes through.

Pctx

Banned
that x phone better f'ing deliver, can't wait to go contract free. Ever since Moto got sold I have no more contacts to find things out.

Oh it will. It's funny as I go in and out of remembering that its coming and find myself hating my Samsung phone more and more each passing day.

lol x phone. If it really is slated for actual release in june then it shouldn't be too long before meaningful leaks drop. I still think it's one of those things that will be mostly hype. It'll look good on paper but won't be anything special in use. Only exciting thing really is battery life.

Angst

Eh, I'm on 4.2 (or CM10.1) on my Nexus S and the "visual downgrade" isn't too bad since some apps fix it. I prefer the look of the home screen now, actually.

My lock screen:

It looks better than the 4.0/4.1 lock screen, in my opinion. Though, the stock clock is pretty ugly especially with the bolded hours.

That doesn't mean it has a few problems though. I don't get why Google removed the year from the date in the notification drawer, moved the settings button to the quick settings pane (it's badly implemented) and a few other ones I forgot.

I can't really say anything about performance wise though since the CM10.1 build I'm on is still pretty early. It seems the same so far but laggy when I'm turning on and off the screen (which I blame on the early CM10.1 build)

But with that said, I might downgrade back to 4.1/CM10 until that screen off lag is gone.
And today google's Roman Nurik released a new clock for the lock screen https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nurik.roman.dashclock

You can adjust how it looks and add gmail unread, missed calls etc.

Someone will likely complain about the font choice, wouldn't be the android thread without it.

lol x phone. If it really is slated for actual release in june then it shouldn't be too long before meaningful leaks drop. I still think it's one of those things that will be mostly hype. It'll look good on paper but won't be anything special in use. Only exciting thing really is battery life.

It will still have weird design decisions like kevlar or a PenTile screen. Plus it's out in June, that's after the GS4, HTC One and Xperia Z/ZL. Not sure what Moto were thinking with that release schedule, it's too late to compete with the H1 flagships and it will not be good enough to compete with the H2 flagships from Samsung and Sony.

I still stick with what I said that the phone is still basically Motorola's next phone that google helped design in some way. It'll still have all the motorola quirks. Not sure why they're releasing so late. Everyone's MO lately is to release before the S4 whether it be Sony or HTC but Motorola has the opposite strategy :|

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
And today google's Roman Nurik released a new clock for the lock screen https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nurik.roman.dashclock

You can adjust how it looks and add gmail unread, missed calls etc.

Someone will likely complain about the font choice, wouldn't be the android thread without it.

Such a nice app. I'm excited to see what sort of extensions get built onto it. I hope a Twitter extension with List support is built in. I'd use it to view breaking news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom