• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't follow. I'm saying that the $99 one will be junk if it uses TN. That'd be a Coby 7 and not Nexus 7.

Like people on GAF care. If they really cared about screen quality then why does everyone own phones with shitty pentile matrix screens.

Yeah I said it bitches!!!!

PS: $99 would be a great Xmas gift I could give to kids who don't care about screen quality anyways!!

gcubed

I don't follow. I'm saying that the $99 one will be junk if it uses TN. That'd be a Coby 7 and not Nexus 7.

no i agree. I mean, if they are going to make a full revision to only TN panels, i'll buy the current one now. Reading the article it makes it seem like they are going to offer a 99 and a 199 both offering a TN panel. Either i am misreading, or they can't possibly be right. Google wouldn't fully abandon a nice screen

Zeppu

So guys, a friend of mine is interested in getting a Note II. What sort of apps would be compatible with the s-pen. Just whatever Samsung bundles? Would photoshop, for example be compatible?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
samsung-oct-24.jpeg

^^^ merry christmas to me ^^^

So guys, a friend of mine is interested in getting a Note II. What sort of apps would be compatible with the s-pen. Just whatever Samsung bundles? Would photoshop, for example be compatible?

it is, most of the big drawing apps are S Pen compatible. there's all sorts of stuff with S Pen compatibility.

Gwanatu T

Note 2. Or if too expensive an s3.

Good plan. I'm jumping on the Note II when it hits T-Mobile.

thinking about getting the note II with this extra upgrade I have...

will it use the same micro sd card slot as the GS3? Cuz i'll want to get a 64GB microsd

I would assume they'll be using the same parts just about.

although if it comes out too late in the year i might as well wait for CES and MWC. Not to mention skipping the carriers and going with one of this fall's Nexii

The Note II is essentially a larger, more powerful GS3 with more features. It's going to be awesome.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Had my hopes up that it was that flexible pen display thing Samsung showed off in concept earlier this year.

Gwanatu T

The S-Pen is just an input device, so it works on everything. It's Wacom technology, and it's supposed to be more accurate on the Note II than it was on the first Note. I love my Note and honestly couldn't ever get anything smaller, the 5.5" screen will be sick, and that pen is mega awesome too. The rubber tip on it is supposed to help accuracy as well, giving a more paper like feel to the screen, which is good because it's honestly kind of hard to write any sort of dictation on the Note due to the glass-against-plastic slipperiness.

Zeppu

^^^ merry christmas to me ^^^

it is, most of the big drawing apps are S Pen compatible. there's all sorts of stuff with S Pen compatibility.

The S-Pen is just an input device, so it works on everything. It's Wacom technology, and it's supposed to be more accurate on the Note II than it was on the first Note. I love my Note and honestly couldn't ever get anything smaller, the 5.5" screen will be sick, and that pen is mega awesome too. The rubber tip on it is supposed to help accuracy as well, giving a more paper like feel to the screen, which is good because it's honestly kind of hard to write any sort of dictation on the Note due to the glass-against-plastic slipperiness.

Thanks. I know it's just an input device, I was referring to the different pressure levels, rather than just being able to use it as a pointing device.

Angst

Google has released a new app, "Field trip":

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/27/3418082/google-field-trip-location-based-guidebook

TheVerge said:
Google has just launched Field Trip, a new app that the company says is "your guide to the cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you." It sounds like it works as a virtual tour guide — with the app running in the background, a "card" will pop up with information any time you're near a site of interest. In a lot of ways, this sounds like an extension of Google Now, with the app providing background information to you seamlessly based on your location.

Field Trip video

"US only" :(

Zhutchka

Xperia V listed for end of November release in Scandinavia. It's the first smartphone I've ever truly wanted. 4G, Jelly Bean, waterproof, good display and camera (on paper at least), video out... and it's absolutely gorgeous. First smartphone ever that's sexy on the inside as well as the outside.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
gsmarena_001.jpg

The newcomer boasts a notable bump in specs over the original HTC One X. The plus version will pack a speedier quad-core CPU, clocked at 1.7GHz and 64GB of built-in memory. Additional 25GB of Dropbox storage will also be available. The device will boot Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Furthermore, according to the brochure, the HTC One X+ will be priced at £479.99 on a pay as you go plan when it hits O2's shelves.

64GB!

tino

Banned
This One X+ is similar to the mid-cycle refresh from last year, the Sensation XE, its an oversea only model.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Everyone get Alarm. It's great.

Cut the Rope Experiments and doubleTwist Alarm Clock are mine!

already have Paper Camera and Sketchbook Mobile as past Amazon FREE Apps of the Day.

yeah but you have to have the amazon app store installed to use them...

just buy them again for a quarter. then you can have all your apps from one place.

something about that bothers me, so i have found myself rebuying apps if they are cheap enough.

think of it like this, you've wasted (more than) 50 cents on worse things.

yeah but you have to have the amazon app store installed to use them...

just buy them again for a quarter. then you can have all your apps from one place.

something about that bothers me, so i have found myself rebuying apps if they are cheap enough.

think of it like this, you've wasted (more than) 50 cents on worse things.

they aren't the only apps i use from the Amazon Appstore though, i've missed maybe 5 apps total from their every day giveaway and also gotten some others free on there with amazon credit.

gcubed

they aren't the only apps i use from the Amazon Appstore though, i've missed maybe 5 apps total from their every day giveaway and also gotten some others free on there with amazon credit.

i was about to say that 50 cents is a small price to pay to be able to uninstall the amazon appstore

tino

Banned
i was about to say that 50 cents is a small price to pay to be able to uninstall the amazon appstore

Well he is like the only guy in this thread who still has amazon appstore. We might as well keep an Amazon representative here.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
If I were google and I needed a software upgrade for the nexii, I would finally roll the messaging apps together into a cohesive suite. Make it a competitor to iMessage or BBM and roll it out with the new phones.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Can anyone tell me if the Swiftkey app that is on sale right now (99cents/69p) will work fine on a Nexus 7 or should I go ahead and pay the extra for the tablet version? What exactly is the difference between the two?

tino

Banned
If I were google and I needed a software upgrade for the nexii, I would finally roll the messaging apps together into a cohesive suite. Make it a competitor to iMessage or BBM and roll it out with the new phones.

Fuck unified messages. All I want is the ability to delete email from the notification screen.

buhdeh

Can anyone tell me if the Swiftkey app that is on sale right now (99cents/69p) will work fine on a Nexus 7 or should I go ahead and pay the extra for the tablet version? What exactly is the difference between the two?

It works fine for the Nexus 7 but I got the tablet version anyways. If you still have a ton of credits, I think the tablet version is slightly (VERY slightly) better.

Tablet version's keys are slightly more spaced out in portrait view. Landscape view is primarily where the benefits are though. You get the option to split the keyboard so you can actually type while holding it in landscape view. It also lets you view a part of the content above the text box while you're typing whereas the phone version fills the entire screen top half with the text you're typing only (i.e. so you can't see any part of a conversation in a messaging app).

It's definitely a bit more comfortable but I don't think I'd pay with my own money to have the phone and tablet version. Pretty sure the tablet version has a trial so you can try it out too.

It works fine for the Nexus 7 but I got the tablet version anyways. If you still have a ton of credits, I think the tablet version is slightly (VERY slightly) better.

Tablet version's keys are slightly more spaced out in portrait view. Landscape view is primarily where the benefits are though. You get the option to split the keyboard so you can actually type while holding it in landscape view. It also lets you view a part of the content above the text box while you're typing whereas the phone version fills the entire screen top half with the text you're typing only (i.e. so you can't see any part of a conversation in a messaging app).

It's definitely a bit more comfortable but I don't think I'd pay with my own money to have the phone and tablet version. Pretty sure the tablet version has a trial so you can try it out too.

hahahahhaha sounds like the tablet version is the way to go!

Talon

I think I'm getting a Verizon Tuna as my work phone.

As long as I defend myself from the Blackberry masses.

Wooooooo! The Xperia U, Sola and Go have begun to receive ICS as of today! All of Sony's 2011 and 2012 lineup (except the Play) are now running ICS, they are the only Android OEM that can say it. Onwards to Jelly Bean! I have been informed that the Jelly Bean roll out will be much faster than ICS and that a few devices are already running it flawlessly but Sony have been waiting until they finished the ICS roll out before starting Jelly Bean. They didn't want to push JB out to newer devices while making previous owners wait for ICS being stuck on GB.

All of Sony's 2012 range will be running JB before the end of November and hopefully the whole 2011 range by the end of January. From today, no Sony Mobile device will be released running an older version of Android and the Xperia V should get a day zero update for JB when it releases in November.

Finally, the original Tablet S was updated today, it received the new remote app, the new media apps, guest mode and a bunch of software fixes and optimisations. Jelly Bean is around a month or two away apparently for both the Xperia Tablet S and the vanilla Tablet S so they didn't bother with 4.0.4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom