• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Would the Nexus 4 be worth getting with no cell service, just wifi? I have never used an android device, and would like to get used to the OS before I make the switch (when I am not forced to be bound by contract)

If you want to test the android waters I'd say getting a Nexus 7 for what, half the price of a Nexus 4 would be a better option. There is no problem using the Nexus 4 without a sim card though, of course unless you want to call and text.

Citing "industry insiders," Korean newpaper DDaily is today claiming to have a few interesting bits of info about the upcoming Samsung flagship, for which it says Samsung is starting to ramp up component production.

First up, DDaily reports that the S4 won't stray too far form the design of the Galaxy S3. The "human-centric," "organic" look and feel will return in the new handset, along with the (somewhat controversial) three button-setup. Samsung experimented with a buttonless arrangement, it's alleged, but in the end decided to stick with the familiar home, back and menu layout.

http://www.androidcentral.com/korea...ge-march-s3-style-buttons-and-design-language

sorry MATERIALS, MATERIALS, MATERIALS gaf .. oh, and FUMD.

Saw HTC One adverts on the billboards next to the pitch duing the Celtic/Juve game last night. Still don't like that name, sounds like an inferior version of the One X to me.

Anyways, I manually installed 4.2.2 on my GNExus today. Seems nice, think I will stay stock now. There are loads of little features and things on CM10.1 that I love but stock 4.2.2 already seems to run a little smoother for me.

pix? nm. found 'em...

gcubed

Would the Nexus 4 be worth getting with no cell service, just wifi? I have never used an android device, and would like to get used to the OS before I make the switch (when I am not forced to be bound by contract)

You don't need a contract for cell service, go prepaid. You can also use GrooveIP w/ a Google voice account for Wi-Fi calling

lol the overyhyping of the x phone is killing me.

According to sources of theirs, who claim to have spoken with Telstra CTO Hugh Bradlow on the matter, the X Phone will be a “game changer.” It’s supposed to be a “real breakthrough” that will put pressure on Samsung and Apple, something no one in the smartphone industry has done in a couple of years.

What sounds most intriguing, is the mention of Google having worked on this device for a “long time,” so that they could pack in software features and capabilities that are not available on Samsung Galaxy phones or the iPhone. This new software “pulls together Google services like no other manufacturer has done in the past.”

But like I said. I hope I'm wrong about it and it truly is the bees neez.

lol the overyhyping of the x phone is killing me.

But like I said. I hope I'm wrong about it and it truly is the bees neez.
The thing is, even if it has some magical features, Google sucks at letting people know about them. Apple is running ads on a second microphone for noise cancelation. Nexus One had that years ago. Apple made a big deal of multitasking, even when they were late to the party. You can bet when the iPhone gets NFC, they'll make sure people use it, like they did with Siri. The average Android user probably doesn't utilize Voice Actions at all. Google just sucks at getting the masses to use their most powerful features, while Apple excels at this, both by design and marketing.

Samsung is getting much better, which is why Galaxy is a hipper word than Android. Shame about Touchwiz though.

kehs

Banned
The thing is, even if it has some magical features, Google sucks at letting people know about them. Apple is running ads on a second microphone for noise cancelation. Nexus One had that years ago. Apple made a big deal of multitasking, even when they were late to the party. You can bet when the iPhone gets NFC, they'll make sure people use it, like they did with Siri. The average Android user probably doesn't utilize Voice Actions at all. Google just sucks at getting the masses to use their most powerful features, while Apple excels at this, both by design and marketing.

Samsung is getting much better, which is why Galaxy is a hipper word than Android. Shame about Touchwiz though.

Moto has had pretty good effective ads lately for the Razr M. (Maps/GS battery life/HD UPGRADE).

I think projecting the inefficiencies of the Nexus Team to the new Moto team in charge is doing them an injustice.

OT said the team doing a presentation seemed genuinely hype for it.

I haven't seen any motorola ads for a smartphone in 2 years. Yet I see galaxy commercials every other commercial and iphone the same.

I think projecting the inefficiencies of the Nexus Team to the new Moto team in charge is doing them an injustice.
they should get their iOS team on their nexus team.

SimleuqiR

Google is getting better at advertising their products. Sure, they are behind the likes of Apple. But some of the Apple ads are just fucking annoying.

This was shown during the Grammy's:

http://youtu.be/SpaLZOjqMew

Much more functional than the Siri commercials, and actually realistic to what the product can do for you.

After Samsung, Google is the one brand that has used advertising very effectively to create a distinct (and much needed) emotional connection with an audience that might otherwise be suspicious.
This ad manages to marry the warm with the useful, the local with the worldly. It doesn't bother showing a voice capability to directly jab at Siri, because it has something potentially more interesting to offer.

Threi

notag
Samsung experimented with a buttonless arrangement, it's alleged, but in the end decided to stick with the familiar home, back and menu layout.
Thank you Samsung for having some goddamn sense.

Function over form all day.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I meant keep the capacitive buttons, just take away the menu button and add a multitasking button.

still
IaQ2K.png

team no onscreen alll day

tino

Banned
So I ordered a N4 for a friend.

According to UPS, they "delivered left at: front door" and left. I don't even know if the assholes from UPS did deliver it. The box is very small there was no reason why they didn't put it in the mailbox.

Anyway I didn't get the phone and I had to call google a few times to have the order cancelled.

They sent me an email and I have to reply "I consent" so they would disable the IMEI#.

The first guy I talked to on google hotline was pretty unprofessional but the second rep handled the problem for me.

Doopliss

I meant keep the capacitive buttons, just take away the menu button and add a multitasking button.
But we need priority access given to these functions not important enough to get their own space on the screen! Just imagine the nuisance of having to move your thumb up a bit instead of down a bit whenever you occasionally have to use one.

No no, the search and menu need to disappear from android froever. Then you can just have the main 3 things. TBH I wish back wasn't there either but that would require extreme reworkings of every app.

tfur

not sure if posted already...

More legal circus acts incoming from Oracle.

Oracle Files Appeal Brief in Oracle v. Google
http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20130213000119924

Ann Droid wants to publish a bestseller. So she sits down with an advance copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix—the fifth book—and proceeds to transcribe. She verbatim copies all the chapter titles—from Chapter 1 (“Dudley Demented”) to Chapter 38 (“The Second War Begins”). She copies verbatim the topic sentences of each paragraph, starting from the first (highly descriptive) one and continuing, in order, to the last, simple one (“Harry nodded.”). She then paraphrases the rest of each paragraph. She rushes the competing version to press before the original under the title: Ann Droid’s Harry Potter 5.0. The knockoff flies off the shelves. J.K. Rowling sues for copyright infringement. Ann’s defenses: “But I wrote most of the words from scratch. Besides, this was fair use, because I copied only the portions necessary to tap into the Harry Potter fan base.”
Obviously, the defenses would fail.

Defendant Google Inc. has copied a blockbuster literary work just as surely, and as improperly, as Ann Droid—and has offered the same defenses.

buhdeh

The menu button is retarded. Can't believe anyone still wants that crap as a separate key. Even worse when apps like Facebook design themselves to use BOTH the menu button and an overflow/menu within the app.

tino

Banned
The menu button is retarded. Can't believe anyone still wants that crap as a separate key. Even worse when apps like Facebook design themselves to use BOTH the menu button and an overflow/menu within the app.

Its easier to reach in the bottom than on the top. Google shouldn't copy Apple 's retarded UI of putting buttons on the top row.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Its easier to reach in the bottom than on the top. Google shouldn't copy Apple 's retarded UI of putting buttons on the top row.

I think you're missing buhdeh's point. Making the Menu button not as a separate key is because you never know when to push it. Having it on screen lets you know the app has more functions available.

tino

Banned
I think you're missing buhdeh's point. Making the Menu button not as a separate key is because you never know when to push it. Having it on screen lets you know the app has more functions available.

Well 99.9% of the apps give me a response when I press the menj button. Only super simple apps doesn't do anything when I press menu. In my case, I only press the menu button. If you prefer pressing the menu virtual button on the top of the screen, its your option.

buhdeh

Well 99.9% of the apps give me a response when I press the menj button. Only super simple apps doesn't do anything when I press menu. In my case, I only press the menu button. If you prefer pressing the menu virtual button on the top of the screen, its your option.

See, I'm okay with dedicated menu buttons opening the existing on-screen overflow menu. It's when they do the hidden menu button thing thatpisses me off. I'm talking about apps that use the LEGACY menu button and are completely invisible to menu button phones or add the stupid ass 3 dots to Nexus phones.

Faceless Master has that shit on lockdown. Maybe he can add a second row of buttons for continued user unusability

i would say "i know i'm a niche user" but the phones with the software buttons are not the ones that are selling.

i mean, i like buttons, i'm one of those sliding qwerty guys. if they had a GS4 variant with one, i would be turning tricks on the corner to get it at full price.

Alright, so I'm going to be switching to Sprint.

Galaxy S3 or Note 2? I can get either for 100 bucks via Amazon Wireless.

GS3 has SVDO support.

Note 2 better at everything else.

See, I'm okay with dedicated menu buttons opening the existing on-screen overflow menu. It's when they do the hidden menu button thing thatpisses me off. I'm talking about apps that use the LEGACY menu button and are completely invisible to menu button phones or add the stupid ass 3 dots to Nexus phones.

yeah, it would be great if every app used the overflow function and not the old school menu button, but having the option for the HW menu button opening the overflow is a nice thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom