• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
I got a galaxy note 10.1.

it's pretty sweeet, my only complaint is the screen resolution and lack of apps that use the s pen.

markot

Banned
No expandable memory, I wanted to try out using the s pen at uni, and I got a good deall!

Also it's never in stock too...

Also multi tasking and stock browser.

tino

Banned
Hi everyone! I just bought an used (but in perfect condition and with a nice leather case) Galaxy Note 1 for 250€.

I plan on rooting it tonight and install a custom rom (maybe inspired by Paranoid Android, I don't know yet...). I'm quite familiar with rooting/flashing but what I'm a newbie with are the Samsung apps designed for the S-pen that are present on Touchwiz...
So, fellow Note users, tell me, should I conserve them, are they really good, or can I ditch them I could use my S-pen with another/better apps from the Play Store?

Thanks in advance! ;)

(I would have bought one of those sexy flagships, like the ZL/S4 in a few weeks or even the note2 but... it was a little too expensive for me :/ )

Flashing Note 1 is actually not easy. There are safe kernel and unsafe kernel. Spend your time to read up on xda.

Should you use a rom that include the S-pen features, of course you should. Otherwise why get a Note. I use rooted UK official rom. Keep in mind the 4.1 update is coming out soon. Maybe you can try out the leaked official rom.

ektoll

Flashing Note 1 is actually not easy. There are safe kernel and unsafe kernel. Spend your time to read up on xda.

Should you use a rom that include the S-pen features, of course you should. Otherwise why get a Note. I use rooted UK official rom. Keep in mind the 4.1 update is coming out soon. Maybe you can try out the leaked official rom.

Hey, thanks for your answer! I know about the kernel danger (shall I call it kernel panic? ;) ), but I'll make sure to read again infos about that point.

I choose a Note 1 for the big screen mainly, as I want a big calendar to better check my day-to-day tasks. Also, I want to be able to use Evernote and write quick notes (with a swiftkey keyboard?).

Humm... I think I'll take a look to the leaked 4.1 rom...

More HTC One news:

Nearly a week and a half ago, we broke the news that HTC would start selling the HTC M7 in Europe on March 8th. That date was later confirmed by another source, along with a price tag of of €649.99 (roughly $880). Today, a trusted source has revealed to us that the U.S launch of the HTC One (M7) is set for March 22nd.

Our source has confirmed that the HTC M7 will launch as the HTC One on AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint with 32GB of internal storage, starting at $199.99 with a two year contract. Those looking in need of more storage can opt for the 64GB model which will sell for $299.99. Our source has also confirmed that the HTC One will have metal casing with front-facing stereo speakers. The device will be available in both black and silver/white. Previous images of the HTC One with a black soft-touch casing were real, but our source claims they were pre-production units which were used during various phases of testing. The final metal design can be previewed in the teaser videos HTC posted with the countdown clock that’s ticking down on htc.com.

What the fuck is going on with Verizon? This is becoming a pattern in america I've noticed.

edit: ah yeah they're getting the Droid DNA+ which is supposedly the same thing just with a different design.

Pctx

Banned
More HTC One news:

What the fuck is going on with Verizon? This is becoming a pattern in america I've noticed.

edit: ah yeah they're getting the Droid DNA+ which is supposedly the same thing just with a different design.

Verizon doesn't beta test.... news at 11.

Where else are they gonna keep their bloated second copy of sense to reflash after every reboot?
lollll. I do wonder how much they've slimmed it down. Yes it looks like a simpler version of Sense in the few places we see in the screenshot leaks but I wonder how much they've reduced RAM usage, which if I remember is pretty damn high isn't it? I wonder if it still chugs in some places because of sense.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Nvdia says no Tegra 4 till July and no Shield till September.

What this means for the next Nexus 7 makes me wonder. It also makes me wonder what devices might actually use this. Coming out that late means no chance in any of the big phone refreshes coming.

It also means Apple will spank that ass again chip set wise soon after launch.

gcubed

What this means for the next Nexus 7 makes me wonder. It also makes me wonder what devices might actually use this. Coming out that late means no chance in any of the big phone refreshes coming.

Nvidia also said they are more more focused on tablets and phones will come eventually. I don't expect to see a Tegra phone again for a while.

There's no Tegra announcement or release without a delay.

biggest mistake i made. I got lured in by the LTE goodness.
The phone is useless without a network to operate on. Choosing the network is the best way to do it. In just a few months, Verizon will have the entire US covered by LTE. The entire country. 100% of their network footprint. All of Samsung's devices are the same on Verizon because they aren't an insignificant niche player like HTC.

Verizon

kehs

Banned
Nvidia also said they are more more focused on tablets and phones will come eventually. I don't expect to see a Tegra phone again for a while.

Isn't that mainly because the tegras don't have incorporated radios? With the t4 that't not supposed to be a problem, with their software radio built in.

Fatalah

When phone locked, swipe left, press plus, add widget.
That's how I did it on my Nexus 4

Thanks Besiktas, but for some reason, my lockscreen doesn't swipe life or right.

I'm on JB 4.1.2 on the original Droid Incredible, which isn't officially supported by CM10. I'm guessing my ROM developer removed the swiping feature in an effort to decrease the filesize of the ROM.

Update: Maybe lockscreen panels are only available on JellyBean 4.2?

Vanillalite

Yeah, but if we are getting a Nexus 7 refresh at Google I/O then it won't be Tegra either and that is the main current Tegra tablet.

What else big Tablet wise would use it knowing full well Samsung is always going to use their own?

I just don't see that big device for the Tegra 4 outside of Nvidia's own shield.

Plus remember that Tegra chart was showing how Tegra 4 was slightly better than LAST YEARS iPad chip. Well by time they get this shit out Apple will be prepping another iPad chip.

Also why focus on that Camera technology in the Tegra if they are focusing on tablets not phones.

tino

Banned
Yeah, but if we are getting a Nexus 7 refresh at Google I/O then it won't be Tegra either and that is the main current Tegra tablet.

What else big Tablet wise would use it knowing full well Samsung is always going to use their own?

I just don't see that big device for the Tegra 4 outside of Nvidia's own shield.

Plus remember that Tegra chart was showing how Tegra 4 was slightly better than LAST YEARS iPad chip. Well by time they get this shit out Apple will be prepping another iPad chip.

Also why focus on that Camera technology in the Tegra if they are focusing on tablets not phones.

Most important is next generation of Transformer IMO.

I don't understand why nV is releasing the Shield. 1Why is it not a OUYA type setup box? 2. I thought this was just a protocal platform to pitch to google? 3 This isn't even a real product name. Shield just sound like a code name.

Vanillalite

acfa81aa4d1b4ec9a6bff78ffec765b0.jpg

gcubed

The phone is useless without a network to operate on. Choosing the network is the best way to do it. In just a few months, Verizon will have the entire US covered by LTE. The entire country. 100% of their network footprint. All of Samsung's devices are the same on Verizon because they aren't an insignificant niche player like HTC.

Verizon

I live near people, I work near people and I'm moving near people. They are all the same now anyway. Pre LTE using a GSM phone in a crowded area was impossible, now there's no advantage to Verizon.

Vanillalite

Fail.... (not that I didn't see this coming...)

Basically Minus sucks now. It's gone down the path well every photo uploading service has. Today's app update basically sealed the deal for most people on the suckatude.

It sucks, but what cha gonna do? Wish abload.de was in en. LOL

PS: Yes yes I know auto translation, but still.

LJ11

Feel dumb posting this but I'm new to android and already did a few searches but came up empty.

Can you play an mp3 in chrome browser and have it play in the background? Being able to download the link is enough, but I'm just curious on wether or not this is possible.

What about YouTube? Seems like you ant without an app.

The free App, developed by Tokyo-based Namco Bandai Games Inc., provides the toy’s classic game play in a contemporary format through its new Tamagotchi L.i.f.e. (Love Is Fun Everywhere) lifestyle brand. Beginning today, the App can be downloaded for Android devices throughout the U.S. and Canada and, very soon, will be available on the iOS platform for the iPhone and iPad.
just sayin'

tino

Banned
Feel dumb posting this but I'm new to android and already did a few searches but came up empty.

Can you play an mp3 in chrome browser and have it play in the background? Being able to download the link is enough, but I'm just curious on wether or not this is possible.

There are plenty of video app that can play it, why do you have to play it in Chrome?

kehs

Banned

I believe if that music being played through the browser is using the proper html 5 audio api/code, it will continue to play in the background.

No for youtube.

no, you're not dumb. you can't have Chrome or Youtube play in the background.

you can download it and play it in any music player app.

or use an app like overskeen if you want a floating browser.

or you can use the inbuilt streaming abilities of some media players and share the URL to them from Chrome or any browser.

or you can use one of the several floating browser apps like Overskreen.

or you can use one of the many popup/floating video apps like Floating Youtube Video Player.

or you can use one of those background media player management apps like PVSTAR.

I believe if that music being played through the browser is using the proper html 5 audio api/code, it will continue to play in the background.

No for youtube.

ok, i just went and checked this to make sure...

the Chrome BETA will indeed play mp3s in the background, while the standard Chrome version won't.

standard Chrome stops playing as soon as you switch apps or tabs.

kehs

Banned
ok, i just went and checked this to make sure...

the Chrome BETA will indeed play mp3s in the background, while the standard Chrome version won't.

standard Chrome stops playing as soon as you switch apps or tabs.

I could swear I remember having soundlcloud play in the background with regular chrome. I don't use beta at all so, it's either that or it was while I was using the ipad mini.

I could swear I remember having soundlcloud play in the background with regular chrome. I don't use beta at all so, it's either that or it was while I was using the ipad mini.

well, i dunno about the "using the proper html 5 audio api/code" part.

i went to ocremix.org and played some music in Chrome then switched apps and tabs. same music, same source. Beta kept playing, Standard stopped.

edit: Youtube videos don't play in the background in the Chrome beta ... or standard

edit 2: Soundcloud specifically. tried Chrome, it stopped. Chrome beta kept playing.

tried all of these on the same SoundCloud URL

Chrome: plays music, but stops playing in BG.

Chrome Beta: plays music in BG.

Boat Browser: plays music in BG.

Dolphin: plays music in BG.

Firefox: plays music in BG.

Firefox beta: plays music in BG.

Internet*: plays music in BG. (*stock Samsung TouchWiz browser)

Opera: plays music in BG.

xScope Pro: plays music in BG. (haha i actually do own this! Amazon free app of the day on on August 23, 2011!)

then i decided to try a raw mp3... it was embedded on this blog.

Boat Browser: pops an option to cancel, download or open. download lets you save it. open will launch an intents dialog with Opera (which will offer to save the file), Google Music (streams in a popup window, but doesn't play in BG) and the Samsung Sound Player app (streams fullscreen, but also doesn't play in BG) as options.

Dolphin: brings up the intents dialog with Opera/Google Music/Samsung Sound Player choices.

Firefox: plays music in BG (pretty big play controls too).

Firefox beta: plays music in BG (pretty big play controls too).

Internet*: pops up an intents dialog with a choice between 'Android System' and 'Internet*'. choosing Internet sends it to the download manager to save. choosing 'Android System' brings up the intents dialog with Opera/Google Music/Samsung Sound Player choices.

Opera: brings up the intents dialog with Opera/Google Music/Samsung Sound Player choices.

xScope Pro: offers to download or play/view. download will let you save it. play/view brings up the intents dialog with Opera/Google Music/Samsung Sound Player choices.

then i decided since i've gone this far... YouTube! none of them played Youtube in the bg and many of them simply launched the Youtube app when i played a video.

tino

Banned
^^ ICS Browser+ plays it in the bg.

For the raw mp3 file it brings up a media app selection menu.

So basically any browser is better than Chrome.

kehs

Banned
Fuck me, I can't update my n7 cause I installed that beats audio shit and didnt do a back up.

Can some tell me which files to replace and where to get them.

LJ11

Thanks for the replies. I honestly love being able to just download a linked mp3, so it's no big deal.

Probably need an android for dummies handbook, not that things are complicated but there are a lot of options available. Really enjoying it so far.

Thanks for the replies. I honestly love being able to just download a linked mp3, so it's no big deal.

Probably need an android for dummies handbook, not that things are complicated but there are a lot of options available. Really enjoying it so far.

no problem! and indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom