• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Best kind of ergonomic layout should have buttons that give you different feedback, so you can press it without looking. Take a look at a Nikon SLR if you want to know what I mean.

Thats why I prefer Samsung style of hard/capacity buttons combination.

edit: if Samsung can work out a hardware mechanism to uplock the phone fast that would be perfect. For example a very fast fingerprint reader on the home button itself.

gcubed

Too bad the market had spoken long ago in favor of hardware buttons. Software buttons are the niche. Deal with it.

one, it was a terrible mock up and that is the only point.

two, if the GS4 had software buttons the market would instantly have spoken in favor of software buttons. The market doesn't care what type of buttons it has... the inclusion or switch of buttons isn't going to swing any favors.

Also, Google Now is again usable for my commute! As I don't have to change everything to one mode of transportation on the phone

ShowDog

No no, the search and menu need to disappear from android froever. Then you can just have the main 3 things. TBH I wish back wasn't there either but that would require extreme reworkings of every app.

Why the hell the battle against back and menu? The perfect setup as far as I can tell is Back, Home, Menu. Multitasking can be accessed with a split second hold of menu confirmed by vibration.

Implementing Back into the UI sucks ass. Way too many opportunities for inconsistency or compromised UI design as a result. Same goes for Menu. Those are two of the most dated aspects of iOS.

Why the hell the battle against back and menu? The perfect setup as far as I can tell is Back, Home, Menu. Multitasking can be accessed with a split second hold of menu confirmed by vibration.

Implementing Back into the UI sucks ass. Way too many opportunities for inconsistency or compromised UI design as a result. Same goes for Menu. Those are two of the most dated aspects of iOS.
Back works more like shuffle currently. I hate it. Apps have too much control over "back" and it's always a gamble where I end up exactly.

buhdeh

Are you joking? You think Google's method of using back and menu is in any way consistent?

tino

Banned
Back works more like shuffle currently. I hate it. Apps have too much control over "back" and it's always a gamble where I end up exactly.

Its easily fixable. For example you can change color or the back button base on content (back within same app, same color, back to prev app, another color, back to home, just dim the button and disable it)

Taking out back button is throwing the water out with the baby, Mr.Baby killer.

ShowDog

I love the back button but to call iOS' handling of back as inconsistent compared to Google's is asinine.

The problem with back in iOS is that it can only take you back within whatever app you are in. Many times, going back to what you were doing (say opening an internet link from Mail sending you to Safari) requires a double tap of the home button to get back to Mail. If you aren't technically savvy like my Mother, it involves going back to the springboard and finding the Mail app again and reopening it.

On Android, it would just involve a press of the back button.

There are plenty of situations on Android that ruin this, but at the same time there are a decent amount of apps on iOS that don't strictly follow Apple design guidelines and place the back button in the top left corner of the screen (an annoyingly hard to reach place btw)

ShowDog

Are you joking? You think Google's method of using back and menu is in any way consistent?

And when it comes to Menu, honestly, anything is better than digging through the System Settings app on iOS to see if there are additional settings that were not presented in the in app settings.

Its easily fixable. For example you can change color or the back button base on content (back within same app, same color, back to prev app, another color, back to home, just dim the button and disable it)

This is a good idea, and the best argument to move away from capacitive/physical buttons I have heard yet.

kehs

Banned
And when it comes to Menu, honestly, anything is better than digging through the System Settings app on iOS to see if there are additional settings that were not presented in the in app settings.

This is a good idea, and the best argument to move away from capacitive/physical buttons I have heard yet.

Prepare for Samsungs to have three back buttons.

Thank god you guys don't work for google. Can't imagine the thilly phones.
TheHomer.jpg

So HTC released more teasers on their sites/twitter, basically it looks like it's confirming that it will use a metal casing. Which is great. Glad someone is continuing a trend of high quality materials. If I was someone who voted with my wallet, I'd support :p But it takes more than that. Good start though.

HTC has always used high quality materials. Nothing new from them here, tbh
that's why I said continuing the trend! And metal is actually higher than the plastic they used in the one x, which was definitely a good feeling plastic (samsung should have noted that).

Should be interesting to see how the final One looks (get it?).

What the hell are people babbling about? None of what you're saying is about the Phone X.
reality of the mega super duper game changing x phone:

screen isn't near the top
motorola camera software + quality still terrible
weird ass kevlar shit going on but is kind of cool sort of maybe not?
ever so slightly modified version of motorola's skin
google still doesn't know how to sell phones on their site properly
carriers don't care

but battery life is great!!

What the hell are people babbling about? None of what you're saying is about the Phone X.

the problem is... it's Motorola... the only thing they've shown they get is battery life and signal strength. and Samsung has that covered now. Sony too from those Xperia Z stats. they're owned by Google now and maybe someday they'll show it...

the problem is... it's Motorola... the only thing they've shown they get is battery life and signal strength. and Samsung has that covered now. Sony too from those Xperia Z stats. they're owned by Google now and maybe someday they'll show it...
yeah but google is working on it too!!! They've been knocking out of the park with the nexus line lately!!!!

!!!

Cipherr

After the GNow update, launched Now is soooo much faster again. Its back to the speed it was at in 4.1 on my Galaxy Nexus.

Since the last update, launching Google now had a noticeable pause before the cards populated. Not anymore though.

Angst

After the GNow update, launched Now is soooo much faster again. Its back to the speed it was at in 4.1 on my Galaxy Nexus.

Since the last update, launching Google now had a noticeable pause before the cards populated. Not anymore though.

Yep, it's much faster for me too. And they changed the default background to the doodle of the day.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Jesus the old one was ugly alright, even down to the fonts.

Now if Viber can do a redesign thats just not a port of the iPhone app, things will be looking up.

ektoll

Hi everyone! I just bought an used (but in perfect condition and with a nice leather case) Galaxy Note 1 for 250€.

I plan on rooting it tonight and install a custom rom (maybe inspired by Paranoid Android, I don't know yet...). I'm quite familiar with rooting/flashing but what I'm a newbie with are the Samsung apps designed for the S-pen that are present on Touchwiz...
So, fellow Note users, tell me, should I conserve them, are they really good, or can I ditch them I could use my S-pen with another/better apps from the Play Store?

Thanks in advance! ;)

(I would have bought one of those sexy flagships, like the ZL/S4 in a few weeks or even the note2 but... it was a little too expensive for me :/ )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom