• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
So Nvdia says no Tegra 4 till July and no Shield till September.

What this means for the next Nexus 7 makes me wonder. It also makes me wonder what devices might actually use this. Coming out that late means no chance in any of the big phone refreshes coming.

It also means Apple will spank that ass again chip set wise soon after launch.
F Nvidia!

Linus was right... They suck. The only chipset worth a damn is the new qualcomm's but its sad that no one else.... Cough....cough Intel... Cough.. can't get things to market fast enough.

Malo

Banned
The HTC One in black.

C42Ff8O.jpg

Doesn't look the iphone 5 at all.

ektoll

Definitely try out the official ROM first. If it works how you eant it to work, you don't really need a custom one.

Thanks for your advise but I couldn't resist... Flashed CM9 with safe kernel then Paranoid Android! It's so cool right now!

Oh god do I love android for all the tweaks/options you can do. :)

Angst

Thanks for your advise but I couldn't resist... Flashed CM9 with safe kernel then Paranoid Android! It's so cool right now!

Oh god do I love android for all the tweaks/options you can do. :)

If you went with a custom ROM, why did you pick the old CM9 over CM10 or even better CM10.1?

I do agree with lagspike though, if you can get what you want from the official ROM there's no reason to go down the custom ROM route.

ektoll

If you went with a custom ROM, why did you pick the old CM9 over CM10 or even better CM10.1?

I do agree with lagspike though, if you can get what you want from the official ROM there's no reason to go down the custom ROM route.

It was only a first step, to be sure that I had a safe kernel. The goal was Paranoid Android (nice little boot animation by the way).

I find it fun to try custom roms (and jailbreak/cydia on iOS), it's my tiny geek side and, I'll be honest, I found Touchwiz a little bit ugly :/

Quasar

Well I ordered my first android device, nexus 4, and the waiting pains me so. Then shortly thereafter I pre-ordered an Ouya. Purely based on seeing the excellent demo of the new android Plex client. Its totally going to be my home theatre front end thing. Will be able to dump my jailbroken ATV2 when this comes.

panda21

is there a lockscreen widget that will display your emails (not gmail)? it seems odd that google didn't include that in the OS but does have gmail. sometimes having to pull down the notification bar to see your emails is too much effort

well, Sense started on Windows Mobile

Yup I find it illuminating that Sense was HTC's way of making Android more like Windows Mobile 6.5 and they have never really got away from that way of thinking. Android since ICS has the best UI of all mobile OSes (other than MeeGo on the N9) and since 4.1 is super smooth like iOS. Sense just ruins all of this stuff.

jokkir

My battery has been really wonky lately. Is there any way to calibrate it so that it properly detects what percentage it's at? An example of it being weird is that the battery dies but when I plug it in for a minute and I turn it on, the battery is back up to 70% instantly

My battery has been really wonky lately. Is there any way to calibrate it so that it properly detects what percentage it's at? An example of it being weird is that the battery dies but when I plug it in for a minute and I turn it on, the battery is back up to 70% instantly

You need a new battery.

Yup I find it illuminating that Sense was HTC's way of making Android more like Windows Mobile 6.5 and they have never really got away from that way of thinking. Android since ICS has the best UI of all mobile OSes (other than MeeGo on the N9) and since 4.1 is super smooth like iOS. Sense just ruins all of this stuff.

but they can't quit Sense now... not after they sent out TROs to stop clones of their 'iconic' clock widget!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Android Police with another impressive article

Getting To Know Android 4.2.2 - Many Extremely Tiny Changes, And An Android@Home Sighting! andp.lc/VlYgCl

That isn't "Sense" in the pics, it's a widget on Sense that I don't know who the hell would want to use. Anyway the black looks nice. Paying off Apple did good!

The thing I don't like about Sense is they change some things for no reason and it makes me wonder if HTC is so arrogant that they think their version truly looks better and will attract more people, or carriers are really bullying them that much. Why else do something that requires more work and bogs down the experience when you don't have to. Baffling stuff.

Yeah that will still be beast if it's A15 based but it was funny reading people's 8 core fantasies on other sites.

But perhaps that means the note 3 will have it for you note fanboys. Also the one piece of info I'm curious about isn't on that chart, the dimensions!

Quad A15 with a dynamic clock at 1.0-1.9GHz is the latest information I have on it, though it comes from a non-Samsung source. Also, the US version is said to use MSM8974 at 1.9GHz because Samsung's own LTE modem does not have certification for use in the US.

Also, I was speaking to someone close to HTC today, they gave the distinct impression that the HTC One is their final throw of the Android dice. If they can't make a success of the One they might just pack up and move to WP8 entirely where they are seeing good early success.

I pointed out to the person that their announcement for the One is going to go very badly as they have chosen an awful date. They will get one evening and one afternoon of clear press time before the PS4 bandwagon starts to get rolling, and in the time after that the One is going to get completely steamrolled by PS4 hype. Even though they aren't strictly competitors, they are going to compete for the same airtime and column inches. The One is one of many flagship phones released this year, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Nokia and Blackberry all have one. PS4 is one of two home consoles releasing this year, it is by its very nature a much more important release and it will dominate tech news and mainstream tech news in the following days and pretty much drown out everything else that happens. It's too late to delay the announcement now, but it's just another one of those stupid mistakes this company keeps making.

Talon

Quad A15 with a dynamic clock at 1.0-1.9GHz is the latest information I have on it, though it comes from a non-Samsung source. Also, the US version is said to use MSM8974 at 1.9GHz because Samsung's own LTE modem does not have certification for use in the US.

Also, I was speaking to someone close to HTC today, they gave the distinct impression that the HTC One is their final throw of the Android dice. If they can't make a success of the One they might just pack up and move to WP8 entirely where they are seeing good early success.

I pointed out to the person that their announcement for the One is going to go very badly as they have chosen an awful date. They will get one evening and one afternoon of clear press time before the PS4 bandwagon starts to get rolling, and in the time after that the One is going to get completely steamrolled by PS4 hype. Even though they aren't strictly competitors, they are going to compete for the same airtime and column inches. The One is one of many flagship phones released this year, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Nokia and Blackberry all have one. PS4 is one of two home consoles releasing this year, it is by its very nature a much more important release and it will dominate tech news and mainstream tech news in the following days and pretty much drown out everything else that happens. It's too late to delay the announcement now, but it's just another one of those stupid mistakes this company keeps making.
The date was set before the PS4 teaser was sent out. They didn't make that choice.

Clearly they wanted to stand away from the MWC noise.

If it really is their final attempt at android then they better not half ass it. The conference will be interesting. Of course Feb 19 only means one thing to me nowadays, and that's 1 more day till PS4 lol.

The date was set before the PS4 teaser was sent out. They didn't make that choice.

Clearly they wanted to stand away from the MWC noise.

Yes I know, but on seeing that date HTC should have surmised that their announcement was going to get buried under PS4 hype and changed the date to shift it to a week earlier.

If it really is their final attempt at android then they better not half ass it. The conference will be interesting. Of course Feb 19 only means one thing to me nowadays, and that's 1 more day till PS4 lol.

So this person said, I think they are going to give it a good shot, but with APQ8064, 2GB RAM and 1080p they aren't going to do anything significantly better than the Xperia Z or GS4, plus the marketing budget is not even close to what Samsung are going to push for GS4 or even Sony with Xperia Z. Seriously in the freesheet this morning there were 8 pages in a row with Xperia Z pre-order adverts (from Sony and then a bunch of networks and stores) and the TV adverts start in Europe next week.

Nobody can make money off windows phone. Come on zmog be real.

I agree with you, but they say they have had early success with it, I think it is because they only have mid-high end WP8 devices while for Android their low end devices are the only ones that do decent numbers. Their WP8 ASP is higher than their Android ASP, and their WP sales aren't that far behind (more due to a collapse in their Android sales than an uptick in WP). My guess is that Peter Chou has seen the $1bn MS-Nokia deal and prefers that to competing with Samsung for high end and Chinese manufacturers eroding their margins in the low end.

Yes I know, but on seeing that date HTC should have surmised that their announcement was going to get buried under PS4 hype and changed the date to shift it to a week earlier.

So this person said, I think they are going to give it a good shot, but with APQ8064, 2GB RAM and 1080p they aren't going to do anything significantly better than the Xperia Z or GS4, plus the marketing budget is not even close to what Samsung are going to push for GS4 or even Sony with Xperia Z. Seriously in the freesheet this morning there were 8 pages in a row with Xperia Z pre-order adverts (from Sony and then a bunch of networks and stores) and the TV adverts start in Europe next week.

I agree with you, but they say they have had early success with it, I think it is because they only have mid-high end WP8 devices while for Android their low end devices are the only ones that do decent numbers. Their WP8 ASP is higher than their Android ASP, and their WP sales aren't that far behind (more due to a collapse in their Android sales than an uptick in WP). My guess is that Peter Chou has seen the $1bn MS-Nokia deal and prefers that to competing with Samsung for high end and Chinese manufacturers eroding their margins in the low end.
One thing they do have over Sony is their NA launch though. If it's true that ATT, Tmobile and Sprint will get it for March 22nd, that's a good start. They definitely have no chance in other parts of the world but Sony seems to be taking the long way to release their phones in NA.

But I agree that as soon as March 15th rolls around and the Galaxy S4 hype kicks into full gear that will pretty much stop the rest in their tracks. Samsung drowns the rest in advertising and with rumours that they've gone ALL IN on the S4 and are producing 100 million of them, lord help the competition. They will need it. You don't produce volume like that unless you plan to move them.

But I agree that as soon as March 15th rolls around and the Galaxy S4 hype kicks into full gear that will pretty much stop the rest in their tracks. Samsung drowns the rest in advertising and with rumours that they've gone ALL IN on the S4 and are producing 100 million of them, lord help the competition. They will need it. You don't produce volume like that unless you plan to move them.

This reminds me that I need to buy more Samsung stock.

One thing they do have over Sony is their NA launch though. If it's true that ATT, Tmobile and Sprint will get it for March 22nd, that's a good start. They definitely have no chance in other parts of the world but Sony seems to be taking the long way to release their phones in NA.

On NA, agreed. ZL on T-Mob and possibly Sprint LTE is not really enough, they needed to get one of AT&T or VZW on board, but I think their hard no-changes policy wasn't agreeable for the big two. HTC have done it in the US the hard way and I think Sony will have an easier time because they are going to bring the advertising bucks over the next couple of years, brand regeneration in the US or something like that.

GS4 plus iPhone 5S/6 and possibly and iPhone mini. NA is going to be a wasteland this year for the second tier players.

HTC's option is down sizing. Thats the only sensible option. They got 5000 engineers. Mark my words.

Yeah, Sony Mobile did the same thing, from 6000 WW employees in the SE days to something like 3000 at the takeover and now around 2000 plus 500 in regional marketing and distribution that will go once Sony completes integration into the wider company.

I don't know what those 5000 engineers do tbh, Google has a smaller team working on Android and Apple have around a tenth of that working on core iOS features. Honestly it sounds like a Taiwanese government job creation scheme.

The HTC One is going to need some pull. Not sure what though. Who knows if their three stacked 4.3 sensor ultrapixel thing will actually be a noticable differentiator, who knows if their speaker stuff is anything anyone will care about.

This is what it would take for me to consider a phone like the One: Truly superior camera, not slightly better, but superior. A truly stripped down Sense. If I see that same sense multitasking thing I will gag and then move on, and that's just one thing. Friendlier dev support.

Anything less than that and there is truly no point in getting the device over the Xperia Z/ZL and S4.

markot

Banned
I wish notifications were synced over all devices >.<

I have 3 android devices, when I remove a notification on an email on one, it should remove for all of them!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Huh? That exact article says...

The Galaxy S IV is rumoured to feature an Exynos 5 Octa (8-Core) CPU, Mali-T678 (8-Core) GPU, 4.99&#8243; SuperAMOLED Full HD Resolution Display, 2GB of RAM, 13 Megapixel Rear facing Camera capable of shooting 1080p Full HD Videos at 30FPS, 2 Megapixel front facing camera capable of shooting 720p HD Videos and run Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean out of the box.

PS: I come to you Android-GAF and say read my THREAD, Be a Match, and join the National Bone Marrow Registry today!

Huh? That exact article says...

PS: I come to you Android-GAF and say read my THREAD, Be a Match, and join the National Bone Marrow Registry today!
that's the old news, the newer news is the top half of the article and the pic of the chart.

Not sure what the 5440 is. The Octa thing is 5410 isn't it? According to some random pic I saw. So if this is 5440 is it even stronger? Or does samsung just have a weird naming scheme. If it's stronger it makes no sense. Samsung you confusing.

edit: the more I dig into it, I think the 5440 may still be Octa, but samsung just changed the model number from 5410 to 5440. Nothing else would make sense. But the source sammobile links to say it is NOT Octa. And if it is something stronger then that is just weird, you'd need SOME battery to run it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom