• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Android Police with another impressive article

Getting To Know Android 4.2.2 - Many Extremely Tiny Changes, And An Android@Home Sighting! andp.lc/VlYgCl

The Vibrate menu used to have "Always," "Only when silent," and "Never" as options, but now you're only given "on" and "off" from the checkbox.

You can also no longer use the volume keys from the lock screen to change the ringtone volume. They only work when music is playing.

WHY

daoster

Anybody else's Google Now stop working after they upgraded to 4.2.2? Got the OTA Update on my Nexus 7, and Google Now just stopped working...hasn't refreshed in 15 hours!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anybody else's Google Now stop working after they upgraded to 4.2.2? Got the OTA Update on my Nexus 7, and Google Now just stopped working...hasn't refreshed in 15 hours!

Did the OTA come in by itself or did you force it to download by clearing Framework Services?
Doing the latter has a habit of breaking stuff with your google account.

Damn this thread got booted to the second page. Just to resurrect it, side by side HTC One.

kSUsQzJ.jpg

Damn this thread got booted to the second page. Just to resurrect it, side by side HTC One.

http://i.imgur.com/kSUsQzJ.jpg[/ IMG][/QUOTE]

HTC are the only thing happening in the Android world right now, they don't have a dedicated thread like the GS3, Note 2 or the Z/ZL and the Android thread gets pushed onto the second page of the graveyard. Tells you pretty much everything you need to know about HTC's popularity...

catmincer

HTC are the only thing happening in the Android world right now, they don't have a dedicated thread like the GS3, Note 2 or the Z/ZL and the Android thread gets pushed onto the second page of the graveyard. Tells you pretty much everything you need to know about HTC's popularity...

Well credit where credit is due the ONE X was out damn fast after it was announced last year. Sony who a month after announcing the Z/ZL have launched it in what? One country?

Edit

I don't get the HTC hate in here, there are much worse companies such as LG with their non-existent updates. Sony are slightly better, you only get updates 8 months late. (YAY!) If the HTC ONE has a microSD card and a decent battery which is what the One X lacked the S3 had, how is it a bad phone? Plus, least they updated their 2012 flagship reasonably quickly.

lol that is pretty funny isn't it. And I'm basically the only person posting anything about it.

It's ok, HTC. I GOT YOU. I just want someone to open up the multitasking. I need to know if I should immediately ignore the One, or probably ignore it. I was actually debating making the official thread for the event myself but I'm honestly too lazy to update the OP and stuff as it goes along. Rather just post stuff here.

Well credit where credit is due the ONE X was out damn fast after it was announced last year. Sony who a month after announcing the Z/ZL have launched it in what? One country?

Edit

I don't get the HTC hate in here, there are much worse companies such as LG with their non-existent updates. Sony are slightly better, you only get updates 8 months late. (YAY!) If the HTC ONE has a microSD card and a decent battery which is what the One X lacked the S3 had, how is it a bad phone? Plus, least they updated their 2012 flagship reasonably quickly.

Why so defensive? I just said it shows how popular they are, which is not very. I don't care one way or the other about the One X or how great it was.

Edit

We had this discussion a bunch of pages back when I said aside from all the jokes HTC was pretty well received with the One X. It's just a combination of HTCs attitude lately, Sense sucking balls, and more importantly the competition getting better.

HTC has a lot to prove with this phone, not so sure many people believe they have what it takes.

catmincer

Sense does suck. But so do other companies skins. it gets tiresome reading omfg HTC suckzorz all the time in here. I don't even have an HTC phone but it just feels like the criticism is excessive.

Just my opinion.

markot

Banned
Um, I think the others have improved alot and do add some functionality, such as touchwiz.

Sense is just extra awful.

Also, I have a problem with my note 10.1 >.<

When I write using the spen, my hand can touch the bottom right corner and the notifications bar pops up....

So now I can see the benefits of googles approach to tablets in 4.2!

Sense does suck. But so do other companies skins. it gets tiresome reading omfg HTC suckzorz all the time in here. I don't even have an HTC phone but it just feels like the criticism is excessive.

Just my opinion.

That can't be the primary reason it does not sell as well to the masses anyway right?

Just my opinion.
what other skins really? Look at it like this. BAD skins last year or so:

Touchwiz
Sense
Motoblur
Timescape UI or whatever Sony calls it
LGs bullshit

But now we have:

Touchwiz improved greatly functionality wise
Motoblur barely exists anymore
Sony's updated skin is barely there and their apps are great
LG scaled theirs back and it's not THAT bad any more

But there's still Sense. The needlessly heaviest and overly done skin of them all. It's obviously more of a meme to hate on HTC in this thread at this point but it's not all unwarranted. They're just not too hot lately.

Who knows though. Feb 19th is their time to shine. We'll see if they run with it.

I don't mind the speakers. I think they're pretty sexy. I like the black one, reminds me of the iphone 5 black which I think is mad hot, and HTC uses high quality materials so I know the actual hardware will be really nice. My only question marks are software and if their new camera thing delivers.

We had this discussion a bunch of pages back when I said aside from all the jokes HTC was pretty well received with the One X. It's just a combination of HTCs attitude lately, Sense sucking balls, and more importantly the competition getting better.

HTC has a lot to prove with this phone, not so sure many people believe they have what it takes.

Sense is just one part of it. That 4.7" 1080p screen is stupid, they are going to pay a lot more for it from Sharp/JDI than they will for the standard 5" one which will make either the phone more expensive or their margins much thinner. Not only that but the phone is bigger than the ZL which has a 5" screen!

Then they go and shut down developers and ROM makers which just irritates people who are now going to badmouth HTC to their non-geek friends. Word of mouth is worth a lot in this industry, and there is no way a self-respecting geek will recommend a HTC device or support HTC with that kind of stance. If anyone asked me what phone they should get, I would say Z/ZL or wait for the GS4 to see what it has. HTC wouldn't even enter the equation because of their anti-dev stance.

Next let's talk about updates. I have a Sensation with MSM8260, HTC released a One S (not the Krait variant, the later Scorpion based one when Krait supply ran out) with the same chip and basically identical specs otherwise. They say porting Sense 4.0 and Android 4.1 is not possible for the Sensation, but somehow it is for that One S it is not only possible, but they get it out pretty quickly.

Don't get me wrong, Sony and Samsung are no angels when it comes to updates, Sony are too slow and Samsung drop support too quickly for non-flagships. However, 4.1 is coming to the GS2 and Xperia S (Xperia S is a 2011 device released in 2012 because of the takeover turmoil) with the latter running on MSM8260, identical to my Sensation which is not going to get an official port of 4.1, remember we're not talking about some piece of shit phone, the Sensation was HTC's flagship device of 2011. That policy will never change IMO, but Sony have taken steps to improve update delivery times (Lund has taken on a lot of developers) and Samsung have tried to expand their update programme to more devices (see the 4.1 update scheme). HTC have not made any effort to improve in that regard.

Also, Sense is a massive pile of steaming shit. It is absolutely awful. When I put CM10 on my Sensation I started to love Android, before that I thought Android was not what everyone else said it was cracked up to be. Part of the reason I want to get a Sony is that they are the number one non-Google contributor to AOSP, they get their kernel sources out on time (or in the case of the Z, before release), they are very friendly to the dev community and they commit to updates regardless of the timing.

So there it is, that is why HTC are falling to pieces. They are a company who have failed to keep up with the latest developments in the Android market. Better hardware, which the One X undoubtedly was, needs to be backed up with strong software and support. The reason Sony have overtaken HTC is because they cracked the last two points and this year HTC will fall further behind as Sony will have all three in the bag.

I agree with all of that. The screen thing is HUGELY suspicious because they already have the screens made for the DNA don't they? Why not just use the same screens....it seems like they were really committed to this speaker/camera idea which maybe fucks up the internals in such a way where they couldn't do a 5 inch screen? I can't get that. I think the only saving grace is that they don't have on screen buttons so the 4.7 inches won't be that far off from the sony phones for instance. Though I actually prefer the on screen buttons.

The only thing that would make HTC a viable option over the Galaxy line or the sony phones would be a big change in attitude and software on Feb 19. I bet that doesn't happen. It's sad because they have so much potential. They have great hardware but man are they arrogant when it comes to software.

Cipherr

I'm already writing them off. They turned sense into a fake ass Windows phone tile setup. Its very clear that they don't fucking understand that trying to force their idea of 'cool software design' upon people isn't working.

So fuck it, lettem die. I cannot even imagine the thought process behind copying Metro to put on an Android phone. And don't get me started on moving the home button... Jesus fucking Christ. All we can hope for now, is that once the company goes under, none of the competent OEM's hire any of the HTC refugees.

Let them all find work in a different industry.

I'm pretty sure that's just a full screen widget. Or at least I hope to the phone gods it is lol. It's a terrible widget anyway. There's just no focus here. They spend so much time thinking up stupid shit that it's annoying.

kehs

Banned
Can I send my phone to one of you guys to load up a new rom?

I really don't have the desire to do it myself. I've been getting package invalid messages for like....14 apps.

It also just rebooted while trying to upload a picture to dropbox.

Reminder: Sense on the HTC One X was so broken that it couldn't multitask like other Android ICS phones. The One X was so aggressive in closing apps that the experience as bad as an iPhone 4 (a phone with literally no RAM) running Multifl0w (a badly programmed WebOS style switcher on Cydia).

No other skin that I know of breaks core functionality like this. I dunno if Sense is better now but I'm not going to pick a brand that had a skin so bad that it can't even multitask properly. In terms of hardware, HTC is nothing special since they lack any distinctive design elements like Sony is currently trying to push or lack the silicon like Samsung.

I mean, what separates the HTC Butterfly from other 5" 1080P phones? The Sony Xperia Z is using "premium" build materials and is waterproof; the Sony Xperia ZL is the smallest 5" phone on the market and is packing things like IR blasters; the Chinese are pumping out similarly sized phones that cost far less. Why would I ever pick the HTC option?

DXPett1

The thing about HTC is there was a time when HTC were the ones that took Android out from the dark ages, put it under its arm and ran with it. The first Desire was great, solid build, good looking and the Sense UI added much needed functionality that Android never had.

Unfortunately for HTC the rest of the playing field caught up very quickly and HTC responded with more of the same and Sense became less about added features (partly because more and more of Sense features became baked into stock Android) and more about how much RAM it sucked from the hardware.

Sony is essentially HTC in reverse

catmincer

Grrr can't quite cause on 2g and have images off. Anyway, it was quite interesting to read the stuff above. It makes more sense to me now and I can seewhy the criticism is there.

On a not related topic. Are there any th qwerty sliderswwith decent specs at all? Desire Z is ancient so is the Xperia pro.

Reminder: Sense on the HTC One X was so broken that it couldn't multitask like other Android ICS phones. The One X was so aggressive in closing apps that the experience as bad as an iPhone 4 (a phone with literally no RAM) running Multifl0w (a badly programmed WebOS style switcher on Cydia).

No other skin that I know of breaks core functionality like this. I dunno if Sense is better now but I'm not going to pick a brand that had a skin so bad that it can't even multitask properly. In terms of hardware, HTC is nothing special since they lack any distinctive design elements like Sony is currently trying to push or lack the silicon like Samsung.

I mean, what separates the HTC Butterfly from other 5" 1080P phones? The Sony Xperia Z is using "premium" build materials and is waterproof; the Sony Xperia ZL is the smallest 5" phone on the market and is packing things like IR blasters; the Chinese are pumping out similarly sized phones that cost far less. Why would I ever pick the HTC option?
that's why I keep mentioning the multitasking on Sense. It pretty much sums up everything they have going on. It's just...bad. If it's the same in 5.0 then they are officially never moving in the right direction.

The thing in Android is that after Ice Cream Sandwich it seems like google and other manufacturers all stepped up their design game while HTC just didn't.

lol. At least they're going with 2300mah in the Htc One. That with a 4.7 inch screen might give it some length. Especially since the DNA had a 2000 ish didn't it? And people reported a day of use in most outlets.

The thing about HTC is there was a time when HTC were the ones that took Android out from the dark ages, put it under its arm and ran with it. The first Desire was great, solid build, good looking and the Sense UI added much needed functionality that Android never had.

Unfortunately for HTC the rest of the playing field caught up very quickly and HTC responded with more of the same and Sense became less about added features (partly because more and more of Sense features became baked into stock Android) and more about how much RAM it sucked from the hardware.

Sony is essentially HTC in reverse

I've never thought of it like this, but it's a good point.

In 2009 Sony (Ericsson) announce the X10i, deliver it in mid 2010 with 1.6 and an incredibly resource hungry UI that added no features to the core function of Android and said the already out of date 2.1 update would come in 2011, 9 months after launch and that any updates beyond that would not be considered. SE threaten lawsuits against people hacking the X10i and keep it locked down so no unofficial ROMs can be ported.

Fast forward to 2013, the Xperia Z gets announced at the beginning of Jan and it is out to retail in seven weeks (still too long IMO), they have sent development devices to third party developers like FXP and CM, the phone itself is pretty awesome and the skin is very light and their added features are very welcome, in addition they have become the second largest contributor to AOSP after Google themselves. They even released 2.3 for the X10i as a gesture of goodwill despite having to wholesale rewrite big parts of the code to make it work on the QSD8250.

HTC, otoh, released the Nexus One in 2010 and the Desire. The Desire had great support, received updates in a timely manner and Sense added a lot of stuff that the Nexus One couldn't do. They were open to developers and friendly to custom ROM makers and actually are part of the reason XDA continues to exist a post WinMo 6.5 world. All in all, they ushered in the era of open Android devices where Moto/Sony were shutting people down and keeping their devices locked down.

Fast forward to 2012/13, they are unfriendly to developers, Sense is no longer useful but a burden on the hardware, they went through a bout of locking bootloaders and it honestly looks like they are going to do it again with this latest salvo fired at custom ROM makers. Not only that, their hardware choices are still puzzling and their button configuration makes absolutely no sense at all.

What a turnaround...

So who here has completely written off HTC's new phone as a possibility for them?

If not, what do they have to specifically do or show on Feb 19th that would make you consider it?

tino

Banned
No one mentioned HTCs love for 1000mah batteries

I think the biggest problem is still the button arrangements. I can not train my thumb to get used to it.

After that you have non removable battery and maybe lack of SD card. If there is only one issue I can deal with it, but with all 3 why do I bother.

I don't mind the look of the phone.

So who here has completely written off HTC's new phone as a possibility for them?

If not, what do they have to specifically do or show on Feb 19th that would make you consider it?

If those renders/photos of the HTC One are true, then its already DOA. The only way they can convince me otherwise is if they're packing some obscenely huge battery because let's face it, why would I pick this over the Sony Xperia ZL (which is probably the same size) or Samsung Galaxy S4?

We already know the software will suck in some capacity so its all about hardware. The problem is, the only thing HTC can differentiate itself from other top tier smartphone manufacturers is by packing a huge battery. High end smartphone hardware is mostly homogeneous these days since they're all packing similar processors, screens, smartphone sensors, etc.

So at the end of the day, design is what matters and those renders show that HTC won't beat any of the top players. The fact they're still using all capacitive buttons shows this.

Well we already know it is packing a 2300mah battery so it's a touch smaller than the ones in the Z/ZL at 2330 and 2370 respectively (I think?).

But yeah that's the problem I see here and it's what I've said. The software is what kills it imo. Even if they match the hardware why get it over the others? That's why I think a drastic improvement in software would be the only possible way to turn people around on them.

The galaxy S4 will win on specs out of all devices, they will win on battery (not counting motorola's flagship due later this summer), and touchwiz has features people seem to like (though it's still kind of meh looking). It seems like the logical non-samsung choice would be one of the sony devices due to good software and solid hardware. AT BEST if Sense 5.0 is greatly improved (reduced) then they'll MAYBE be a viable SECOND choice for most people, lol. S4 being first.

Anything is possible though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I hope KLP utilizes on screen buttons in such a way that you hardware button lovers change your minds. KLP to immediately obsolete hardware button phones!

hom3land

The only thing that would make HTC a viable option over the Galaxy line or the sony phones would be a big change in attitude and software on Feb 19. I bet that doesn't happen. It's sad because they have so much potential. They have great hardware but man are they arrogant when it comes to software.

My thinking also. My Evo 3d just died, and after 2 htc sense phones, I thought I swore off HTC. My contract isn't up till June, but can pay an extra $50 for early upgrade. I'll see what HTC has to say on Monday (hoping they'll say.. "if you don't want sense, and want a stock android experience, just reset the phone and choose non sense install" ....a boy can dream!). If they blow me away, I'll get it.. If not, I'll take that $50 buy a used nexus, and wait for something better.

I hope KLP utilizes on screen buttons in such a way that you hardware button lovers change your minds. KLP to immediately obsolete hardware button phones!
yes, i would love for on-screen buttons to be utilized in such a way that they take up no space. something reminiscent of that PIE mod except actually good...

My thinking also. My Evo 3d just died, and after 2 htc sense phones, I thought I swore off HTC. My contract isn't up till June, but can pay an extra $50 for early upgrade. I'll see what HTC has to say on Monday (hoping they'll say.. "if you don't want sense, and want a stock android experience, just reset the phone and choose non sense install" ....a boy can dream!). If they blow me away, I'll get it.. If not, I'll take that $50 buy a used nexus, and wait for something better.

used Galaxy Nexus? prepare to be shocked by the current selling prices and then start to consider a new Nexus 4 from Google.

tino

Banned

I rather google open up the hooks for the virtual button area so third party can do interesting thing to it. Implementing webOS like gesture for example.

Duartes can't even figure out notification toggle switch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I rather google open up the hooks for the virtual button area so third party can do interesting thing to it. Implementing webOS like gesture for example.

Duartes can't even figure out notification toggle switch.

I can't believe those toggles were done so poorly. I agree with opening it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom