• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who here has completely written off HTC's new phone as a possibility for them?

If not, what do they have to specifically do or show on Feb 19th that would make you consider it?

Peter Chou would have to get on stage and call Sense a two year mistake and tell the crowd that HTC are going to release an almost pure AOSP OS on the Desire One. Announce that they are going to back off custom ROM developers for good and be supportive of the big ones like CM (though with AOSP CM wouldn't need to bother).

Since none of that is going to happen, I have written them off.

panda21

No one mentioned HTCs love for 1000mah batteries

speaking of HTC batteries, what is the best app to figure out where my battery is going, and then which app is best to shut shit down and stop it using battery?

does JuiceDefender do all of that?

tino

Banned
HTC just need to do a very simple thing to get me back on board. Offer 2 sd card slots on the phone, mwahahahahahaha.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
On a decent HTC note even though HTC has no baring on this...

The One XL CM crew finally pushed the experimental builds to nightly builds on get.cm. Plus they fixed a couple of big bugs like LTE not sticking and this upstream CM GPS bug.

It was also the 1st time I got to try out the new TWRP 2.4.1 as I was previously on TWRP 2.3.3 with a new wipe and flash. Nothing LOOKED different at 1st glance, and the patch notes didn't really add anything for me personally. That being said in use I felt like it was way faster in flashing and just in general more responsive.

So yes an overall win for me this weekend Android wise. Now I just get to ride the CM 10.1 nightlies until Google I/O! :D

Vanillalite

I know we had that separate thread on the stores already, but I'll throw my two cents in this thread.

I wonder how the stores will work as Pyro made the joke stock wise. I mean you can't have all of these stores, and then not have stock to actually sell half the shit in there. Considering what we've seen with the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 it makes me wonder if Google will somehow seek to shore up the supply chain. Though I don't know how they do that since all of their stuff is through partnerships.

I know we had that separate thread on the stores already, but I'll throw my two cents in this thread.

I wonder how the stores will work as Pyro made the joke stock wise. I mean you can't have all of these stores, and then not have stock to actually sell half the shit in there. Considering what we've seen with the Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 it makes me wonder if Google will somehow seek to shore up the supply chain. Though I don't know how they do that since all of their stuff is through partnerships.

If the stores focus on things like Chromebooks then there's shouldn't be any supply issues.

tino

Banned
If the stores are actually open in big cities (unlike the random MS stores) and google actually push TMo with their Nexus phones, its a significant change in the US mobile business.

Vanillalite

If the stores are actually open in big cities (unlike the random MS stores) and google actually push TMo with their Nexus phones, its a significant change in the US mobile business.

For now it would, but these stores won't be open till next fall. There is no way the next Nexus won't be LTE compatible especially with all of the advances in LTE compatible chipsets. So then everyone is back in play again carrier wise.

For now it would, but these stores won't be open till next fall. There is no way the next Nexus won't be LTE compatible especially with all of the advances in LTE compatible chipsets. So then everyone is back in play again carrier wise.

What advances would those be?

Are there more spaces for different bands of LTE? I thought the issue was that there were not enough space to have them all...

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Anyone use or know of an Android app that can launch an app upon boot-up of your phone?

I've bought an iMito MX2 media stick and want to be able to get it to boot straight into XBMC upon power on.

Vanillalite

Are there more spaces for different bands of LTE? I thought the issue was that there were not enough space to have them all...

Software modems. Me and like one other GAFer tried to preach how big this announcement was at CES, but most people thought it wasn't worthy of any talk despite being maybe the biggest announcement at CES. All Tegra 4s are going to be software modem based, and eventually everyone else will follow. You better believe Samsung wants this as it would basically mean they'd only have to manufacture one version of the Galaxy S (Insert Number Here) for the whole world. Then just load the software depending upon where the batch is going in the world. They already go with one single flagship phone + one flagship phablet. This would pair their lot down even further.

I admit I could be off on the time frame as it might take another year or so though. :p

More importantly, software modems means that you can just switch your LTE device to whatever the local bands are and keep using it. Right now LTE will only work in the device's home region because of the multitude of different LTE bands around the world.

Gundotra: 'Committed to making Nexus phones insanely great cameras'

vic-nexus-camera.png

plus, T-Mobile will actually be rolling out LTE. and they can do it fast because they already have the backhaul in place from their HSPA+ rollout.

whitehawk

Banned
Is there a fix to get bluetooth controllers (dualshock, wiimote) to connect to 4.2 devices? I want to use my wiimote on my Nexus 4.

Futureman

Is it Nexus rumour season already? Delicious.

maybe we'll see a new Nexus at I/O. It's always been one new Nexus at the end of the year, but the Nexus 4 is very similar to the GNex... it was basically a spec bump, remove 4G, same look, very similar new version of Android.

New Nexus at I/O? The Moto phone to debut w/ 5.0?

gcubed

you can get a modem that covers all US LTE bands. That still precludes Verizon until the offer VoLTE as you still need a CDMA radio for voice. so it definitely doesn't bring "all" carriers back in play.

you can get a modem that covers all US LTE bands. That still precludes Verizon until the offer VoLTE as you still need a CDMA radio for voice. so it definitely doesn't bring "all" carriers back in play.

well that's great, but i'm definitely not worried about Verizon since i'm on AT&T (but contemplating a switch to T-Mo, but not before LTE is switched on)

Any chance the new HTC One will use the same SoC?

Depends on the volume. LG can use SD-600 because the Optimus-G Pro is not going to be a volume product, if HTC are planning to ship large numbers then they would be wise to stick to APQ8064 which is shipping in volume rather than SD-600 which hasn't ramped up. Changing to SD-600 later when Qualcomm stop shipping APQ8064 can be done without making any outward changes, they are pretty much the same anyway.

Vanillalite

Yes it does. There is no reason the software modem can't do CDMA. It's a software modem. Obviously I'd have to wait and see if they can do both in software at the same time, but you can't rule Verizon out yet.

gcubed

Yes it does. There is no reason the software modem can't do CDMA. It's a software modem. Obviously I'd have to wait and see if they can do both in software at the same time, but you can't rule Verizon out yet.

what it can do, and what it's allowed to do are two different things. Verizon will not let a CDMA device that it doesn't have approval over on its network

hom3land

Good article, and as others said, they list my feelings towards htc exactly. Doesn't help that my last htc phone the evo 3d, was dropped rather quickly from sprint. I've said prior, I'm up for a new phone since my evo 3d has died on me, and if HTC comes out and says the right things about sense (truly minimilistic, conforms to android standards), community support (allow same control over the phone as if it was a nexus) they'll have my money. Short of that, I'm buying a used phone and waiting till other phones are released. Too bad there's no nexus 4 on cdma networks.

Vanillalite

So the Weather Channel app just got totally redone. It is bossly now. This is what the app should have been from day 1!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom