• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for a new high-powered 10" tablet. Should I go Jailbroken iPad or Android? #decisions

I never had my own iPad to jailbreak. But then again I'd just use it for ebooks, websurfing, and a few apps. I already have a Galaxy S3

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't get excited about hardware announcements if they're just updates. Software is where it's at.

Looking for a new high-powered 10" tablet. Should I go Jailbroken iPad or Android? #decisions

I never had my own iPad to jailbreak. But then again I'd just use it for ebooks, websurfing, and a few apps. I already have a Galaxy S3

I just swapped out my iPad 3 for a Nexus 10. I prefer Android. I don't use apps so it was an easy decision.

Nexus 10 like Bboy AJ

The new HTC phone announced tomorrow should be using the snapdragon 600 as well.

i would be shocked if it wasn't. no doubt LG rushed out their spec sheet in a press release because of the HTC announcement.

S600 seems to be the chip that will be in everything starting now. Sure they will inevitably get exynose'd in a couple weeks but should still be great.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Question for you guys.

Do you think it's necessary to get a phone with 2 gigs of RAM? Are Android developers even leveraging that much memory yet?

Even with all that ram, I still get annoying web browser page refreshes when multitasking.

Question for you guys.

Do you think it's necessary to get a phone with 2 gigs of RAM? Are Android developers even leveraging that much memory yet?

Better to get one with 2GB than one without. If you are buying a current gen phone then it will have 2GB anyway, it is the minimum amount for the top end this year. Phones like the Note 3 and the Sony Phablet will probably come with 4GB.

2 Months earlier than S3 announcement last year? Somebody think of the HTC and Motorola employees!

and if they announce it in march... when will it release?!?!?

man, poor Sony :(

a few months ago, this release window looked like a great idea, but now its like an early death march.

and if they announce it in march... when will it release?!?!?

man, poor Sony :(

a few months ago, this release window looked like a great idea, but now its like an early death march.
current reliable rumours are april for europe and may for NA, but who knows on that front. Rather it be the other way around. As for the release window, it's still the best idea. You can't launch afterwards, you simply lose. At least if you manage to launch before you can get some attention and early converts.

HTC hiding the One even though we've all seen it for days:

y8yHs2I.png

Also this picture is a bit weird considering how much stuff is hidden:

Screen-Shot-2013-02-18-at-4.18.45-PM.png

Droid-Life speculates:

Update: Well, this is scary. Ubuntu now has a countdown on their site that is tick tocking right up to HTC’s press event. Not only is it a countdown, but they say that it’s, “tablet time.” Could that be a freakin’ HTC Ubuntu tablet under that cloth? Lord help us.

Oh man if all of this is for some Ubuntu tablet then HTC are in much bigger trouble than we thought. If the HTC One doesn't ship before the GS4 then they might as well give up now with Android and go all in with WP8.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Not really an android thing, but I wish Google took Gtalk seriously. The desktop app is so bad, and the pop up browser version is ass too.

Futureman

what's ETA for HTC, Sony and Samsung on AT&T?

HTC/Sony March, Samsung probably April/May??

any other notable Androids coming to AT&T within the next 4 months? My friend wants to upgrade NOW.

any other notable Androids coming to AT&T within the next 4 months? My friend wants to upgrade NOW.
samsung COULD be april in NA but the safe bet is may/early june. Probably may. If he wants to upgrade now let him do it, just make sure he knows he might feel bad about it 1-2 months from now, lol.

nothing wrong with upgrading now if he wants last years model. the Note 2, One X+ and GS3 are pretty solid. however, your friend should wait until the Samsung announcement.

Futureman

actually he'll wait... just that he has an upgrade ready to go. He definitely wants something latest/greatest.

just looked at the Sony thread.... may/june? haha really? Definitely could have convinced him to get that, but if the GSIV comes out first no way he's waiting.

actually he'll wait... just that he has an upgrade ready to go. He definitely wants something latest/greatest.

just looked at the Sony thread.... may/june? haha really? Definitely could have convinced him to get that, but if the GSIV comes out first no way he's waiting.
pfft. I've been sitting on an upgrade since November. Starting your wait now is nothing.

i sat on my upgrade until the weekend after payday... so like ... 7 days!
giving into your basic instincts. For shame!

I actually held out because I hate having my upgrade so late in the year when the phones I want most are usually out in the spring. I'm spoiled that I can upgrade every year and now I want my cycle to end around the time all the android flagships come out so every year I can just get a new flagship lol.

It will be worth the wait.

giving into your basic instincts. For shame!

I actually held out because I hate having my upgrade so late in the year when the phones I want most are usually out in the spring. I'm spoiled that I can upgrade every year and now I want my cycle to end around the time all the android flagships come out so every year I can just get a new flagship lol.

It will be worth the wait.

i always planned on getting a Note 2.

this also means that in 22 months i should be able to get a Note 4 at or near launch.

I actually used a note 2 for like 30 mins yesterday and I'd still never ever get it because the size is still ridiculous to me, but it's a really functional phone. I don't think it's as stupid as I used to.

tino

Banned
pfft. I've been sitting on an upgrade since November. Starting your wait now is nothing.

Every month you sit on a qualify upgrade without actually doing the upgrade, you basically pay your carrier extra $20 every month for subsidized fee that you will never get back.

Every month you sit on a qualify upgrade without actually doing the upgrade, you basically pay your carrier extra $20 every month for subsidized fee that you will never get back.
I justify it by the fact that I get yearly upgrades instead of every 2-3 years lol and that my plan is a bargain, but I know I'm doing them a favour by waiting. It hurts me. But in the long run...it will hurt them.

I justify it by the fact that I get yearly upgrades instead of every 2-3 years lol and that my plan is a bargain, but I know I'm doing them a favour by waiting. It hurts me. But in the long run...it will hurt them.

Since you get annual upgrades, you would have had to realign your upgrade timeline for April/May anyway since all phones release around then and not in November, by then the next gen hype train is up and running and I tend to feel irritated if I get a phone in November and then in Jan/Feb new ones are announced that make mine seem lame.

Doing it now for the current crop makes sense as they are going to represent a much larger jump than GS2 -> GS3 or Xperia Arc -> Xperia S.

Since you get annual upgrades, you would have had to realign your upgrade timeline for April/May anyway since all phones release around then and not in November, by then the next gen hype train is up and running and I tend to feel irritated if I get a phone in November and then in Jan/Feb new ones are announced that make mine seem lame.

Doing it now for the current crop makes sense as they are going to represent a much larger jump than GS2 -> GS3 or Xperia Arc -> Xperia S.
yeah that's the thing, upgrading in November is brutal. It's past the halfway point of old models coming out and newer models about to come out, but the wait is still long.

Nothing else made sense.

You know what's something I really dislike about touchwiz. The messaging app. It's so basic looking/ugly. They need to white holo that shit and make it slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom