• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhdeh

Might be a placebo effect but 4.2.2 has made my Nexus 4 battery life amazing. Easily at 70% by end of the work day whereas before I'd be close to 50% on 4.2.1 and around 35% on my old S3 with LTE on.

gcubed

Might be a placebo effect but 4.2.2 has made my Nexus 4 battery life amazing. Easily at 70% by end of the work day whereas before I'd be close to 50% on 4.2.1 and around 35% on my old S3 with LTE on.

they changed the battery life times on the nexus tablets when they released 4.2.2, adding 2 hours. So its definitely possible

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

Running CM and recently flashed the latest nightly with 4.2.2 and Franco. Battery is a beast.

gcubed

can i bitch about Google Now real quick?

Why in gods name can't Google report back the actual package status on google now. "Shipped" is an embarrassment of a status. WHERE IS IT? WHEN IS IT GOING TO ARRIVE? HAS IT BEEN DELIVERED?

"shipped"

it arrived last week

"shipped"

kehs

Banned

Why in gods name can't Google report back the actual package status on google now. "Shipped" is an embarrassment of a status. WHERE IS IT? WHEN IS IT GOING TO ARRIVE? HAS IT BEEN DELIVERED?

"shipped"

it arrived last week

"shipped"

Google Then

On that note, everyone feel free to mock me, I just realized how clever the Google Now name is, and only because I was thinking to myself "I'll check my tablet to see what temperature it is right now......OH!".

Pctx

Banned

"shipped"

it arrived last week

"shipped"

I'm guessing API calls. Right now it just shows the actual "what was purchased" but you have to click through to get the status right?

Two things: Either its a feature or will be added later or two it is a way to increase ad clicks.

tino

Banned

"shipped"

it arrived last week

"shipped"

Told you guys to use shiprack.

gcubed

I'm guessing API calls. Right now it just shows the actual "what was purchased" but you have to click through to get the status right?

Two things: Either its a feature or will be added later or two it is a way to increase ad clicks.

yeah, you can get what was ordered, and a link to track it. I don't think it does anything besides provide the link, it has no hooks to fedex or UPS. I would think they could do this easily and actually provide real status, right now its only that the seller has sent you an email saying its shipped.

Told you guys to use shiprack.

yes, but there is no reason why this can't be part of Google Now... unless shiprack and others are using screen scrapes for status and there are no APIs. Then, maybe.

besiktas1

Help please :(
My gmail app is fucked on my nexus 4.
Wasn't updating automatically. Reset cache etc. Now its stuck on waiting for sync all day. Need my emails. Any help would be great.

P.s. why doesn't my phone have the latest android pushed to it yet. Isn't the whole point of having a nexus getting the last firmware first.

Pctx

Banned
4.2.2 on my Skyrocket is amazing. AMAZING I SAY!!!!

I'm impressed. I bought this phone in Dec. '11 just to grandfather my unlimited data plan to LTE and over the course of the past year+ I am really impressed with the community support for it. If the Phone X weren't coming out, I doubt I'd ditch the Skyrocket anytime soon. Love it!

4.2.2 on my Skyrocket is amazing. AMAZING I SAY!!!!

I'm impressed. I bought this phone in Dec. '11 just to grandfather my unlimited data plan to LTE and over the course of the past year+ I am really impressed with the community support for it. If the Phone X weren't coming out, I doubt I'd ditch the Skyrocket anytime soon. Love it!
X news now! It's a slow day. Hook it up.

Also I was looking at droid-life's first thoughts on the HTC One. All you need to know:

This phone looks and feels amazing.
and
HTC Sense 5.0 and BlinkFeed are terrible.

praises the camera features and tv stuff as well. But man how does HTC still not see that nobody likes sense.

Who knows though, maybe it'll get awesome reviews and be the new hotness and we'll all jump on the bandwagon.

Pctx

Banned
X news now! It's a slow day. Hook it up.

Also I was looking at droid-life's first thoughts on the HTC One. All you need to know:

and

praises the camera features and tv stuff as well. But man how does HTC still not see that nobody likes sense.

Who knows though, maybe it'll get awesome reviews and be the new hotness and we'll all jump on the bandwagon.

Unfortunately I don't have anything new or exciting to say at this time. Should have something mid-March tho. :)

yes, but there is no reason why this can't be part of Google Now... unless shiprack and others are using screen scrapes for status and there are no APIs. Then, maybe.

all of those shipping companies have to have package tracking apis... places like Newegg and Amazon often have package details and stops that aren't even shown when you use the package tracker on the delivery company website.

Pctx

Banned
Any tips of getting franco kernel for 4.2.2 on stock rom on gnex to work properly?

Phone is lagging, battery life has become worse than stock :(
Ask Bobby... He's got it with the Franco kernel. I've always run CM stock Kern as to not piss off the gods.

BTW, lock screen widgets = fucking awesome.

My phone makes no sense, I want to throw it out a window. "Charging paused. Voltage too high". Can someone help?

2013_02_14_15_05_24.png

Nicktendo86

I really don't understand what HTC are doing with the One, they make sense a bit more minimalist (for example, the new weather widget) which I think looks nice but then they fuck it up by forcing this blinkfeed thing on you. If you wanted something like that surely you would have got a windows phone? I know it's not as simple as this but going to a 4mp camera will hurt them, the average customer will OBVIOUSLY think it is inferior to 13mp camera phones. Don't get me started on the whole missing recent apps button, this phone looks like a massive fuck up to me.

tino

Banned
Its just Bayer subpixel arrangement. It's not even more exotic subpixel arrangement (for example, like the Fuji Super CCD that can actually offer higher dynamic range).

If HTC include a more expensive A->D converter, they may be able to make a case.

tino

Banned
Can anyone clarify this?

"Ubuntu for Tablets" can run Android apps and it has working "multi view" interface?

Is this right, for a non Samsung tablet, I have to go to Ubuntu to get multi window?

If this work on an Asus Transformer I may get it over the Atom W8 tablet.

Cipherr

Ultrapixel doesn't look like that big of a deal either.

Honestly, 13MP downsamples are not going to be worse than those.

I saw a 1080p video from the camera in low light and it looked pretty damn good. Except for the fact that it apparently can only cap 28FPS at 1080p which is stupid. But the videos image quality in low light was fantastic.

Those photos you posted however look absolutely average. There's still very clear over graininess like all smartphone cameras. If thats their killer feature, then they deserve the ass whipping coming to them.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Nokia shade tossed at HTC's gigapixel camera tech: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Noki...ed-with-the-HTC-One-UltraPixel-camera_id40004

Nokia's former camera sensei Damian Dinning took to Twitter commenting on the HTC One handset unveiled yesterday and the UltraPixel camera concept: "Did I miss something today?? Thought HTC were introducing a breakthrough camera?? Read the whole press release but no, couldn't find it."

As for the optical image stabilization inside the HTC One, which is similar to the one in the Lumia 920, but has compensation for up to two thousand movements per second, Damian says: "that maybe their 'spec' but it only works to 1/7.5 vs Nokia's 1/3 sec."

The conversation in his Twitter feed also hovers around the fact that it is just a normal size sensor optimized for larger pixels yet with 4 MP output, and the results from a juggernaut like the 808 PureView would be much better, since in its automatic 5 MP mode the effective pixel size is 3.85 microns against the HTC One's 2 microns.

It is hard to judge whether this is a case of sour grapes before we make a camera comparison of the HTC One with the Lumia 920 and other flagship handsets, though, yet it is certainly commendable that Nokia's PureView phenomenon forced everyone to think long and hard about the cameras they put in their smartphones, and at least HTC was brave enough to buck the megapixel war trend and try to refocus its camera efforts where it counts.

gcubed

Can anyone clarify this?

"Ubuntu for Tablets" can run Android apps and it has working "multi view" interface?

Is this right, for a non Samsung tablet, I have to go to Ubuntu to get multi window?

If this work on an Asus Transformer I may get it over the Atom W8 tablet.

honestly, it looks pretty good on a 10" tablet if they can deliver on what they are saying

Pctx

Banned
Just watched the hands on the One from AndroidCentral; What a boring phone. I honestly don't know why anyone would get excited about a bloated out piece of crap. I'm sure once the Verizon folk get it it will only have 1GB of RAM available since VZ Store and other apps will obviously be "ready to go" as the end user gets the best possible experience on the Verizon network. :(

Seriously.... HTC.... you're dead to me.

The word "generic" is meaningless. Phones are going to be rectangular because they make the most sense that way.

The Xperia S is rectangular, but it's easily distinguishable from other phones.

Just watched the hands on the One from AndroidCentral; What a boring phone. I honestly don't know why anyone would get excited about a bloated out piece of crap. I'm sure once the Verizon folk get it it will only have 1GB of RAM available since VZ Store and other apps will obviously be "ready to go" as the end user gets the best possible experience on the Verizon network. :(

Seriously.... HTC.... you're dead to me.

Aren't you here to pimp the non-existing hype phone?

Pctx

Banned
The Xperia S is rectangular, but it's easily distinguishable from other phones.

Aren't you here to pimp the non-existing hype phone?

I don't have to pimp anything about it. It will seduce you and make you give up your manhood before you can say X Phone.

tino

Banned
Well too bad HTC doesn't have a community leader in this forum. Otherwise we will have a livelier thread.

Peter Chou, I will work cheap for free phone.

I don't have to pimp anything about it. It will seduce you and make you give up your manhood before you can say X Phone.
I'm dissatisfied enough with Android and my Galaxy Nexus, I don't think I'll downgrade further.
Well too bad HTC doesn't have a community leader in this forum. Otherwise we will have a livelier thread.

Peter Chou, I will work cheap for free phone.

"I wonder why HTC changed it lik-"
"Because we wanted to, now shut up and buy the damn phone."

Dragon

Banned
This may have been covered, but is Touchdown really the best Exchange email client for Android? It seems like the UI is stuck in Windows 3.1 land.

Pctx

Banned
This may have been covered, but is Touchdown really the best Exchange email client for Android? It seems like the UI is stuck in Windows 3.1 land.

While you're not wrong, it solves the bug in the e-mail client that is prior to 4.2.x which means that if you have wacky exchange features or different SSL certs for different CNAME alias for your work exchange (like we have) corp e-mail will not work. Until yesterday, I had to use TouchDown. Now on 4.2, they fixed it. *shrugs*

Dragon

Banned
While you're not wrong, it solves the bug in the e-mail client that is prior to 4.2.x which means that if you have wacky exchange features or different SSL certs for different CNAME alias for your work exchange (like we have) corp e-mail will not work. Until yesterday, I had to use TouchDown. Now on 4.2, they fixed it. *shrugs*

Yeah I think I'm gonna go back to just the Email app. Even if it's clunky.

So, err, Korean press are saying Samsung are set to use SD-600 for the GS4 WW because Exynos is too hot at 28nm, they need to wait until 20nm (2014/15) to make it work for phones.

I have also heard that Xperia Z and ZL may move to SD-600 from Q2 because APQ8064 shipments are is being discontinued in March. It basically puts all three major Android phones on the same hardware platform (SD-600, 1080p, 2GB).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
So, err, Korean press are saying Samsung are set to use SD-600 for the GS4 WW because Exynos is too hot at 28nm, they need to wait until 20nm (2014/15) to make it work for phones.

I have also heard that Xperia Z and ZL may move to SD-600 from Q2 because APQ8064 shipments are is being discontinued in March. It basically puts all three major Android phones on the same hardware platform (SD-600, 1080p, 2GB).

Lots of rumors flying around:

• the C6606 is a Z w/ NAM LTE
  • the Z is coming to Tmo (which is plausible)
  • SD-600 upgrades

crazy times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom