• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
wtfbbq has said something similar.

If GS4 also use Qualcomm 600, then its a repeat of 2012. Samsung has the edge of removable battery and SD slot.

Lots of rumors flying around:

• the C6606 is a Z w/ NAM LTE
  • the Z is coming to Tmo (which is plausible)
  • SD-600 upgrades

crazy times

I haven't heard the first one, and I think ZL is on T-Mob, Z on AT&T, the SD-600 upgrade is likely going to be done under the radar as SD-600 is pin compatible with APQ8064 and is a direct replacement. It won't be advertised, and when they change the whitepapers, it will just be changing APQ8064+MDM9615 to APQ8064T, every single other feature will be listed as exactly the same. Honestly it's not even that big of an upgrade, probably 10-15% on the benchmarks because they will run it at 1.5GHz rather than 1.9GHz to minimise the difference.

If GS4 also use Qualcomm 600, then its a repeat of 2012. Samsung has the edge of removable battery and SD slot.

Z and ZL have an SD slot, it would leave HTC as the odd man out.

So, err, Korean press are saying Samsung are set to use SD-600 for the GS4 WW because Exynos is too hot at 28nm, they need to wait until 20nm (2014/15) to make it work for phones.

I have also heard that Xperia Z and ZL may move to SD-600 from Q2 because APQ8064 shipments are is being discontinued in March. It basically puts all three major Android phones on the same hardware platform (SD-600, 1080p, 2GB).
lol htc is fucked if true, at least the others have more meaningful differentiators like bigger battery/sd slots/etc...

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Samsung has the edge because of their metric fuck ton of advertising. That will be what seals the deal.

malyce

So I'm guessing the GN3 will be packing the S800? Kinda of a boring year for SoCs. Everything is gonna get Qualcomm'd. Was really looking forward to the Exynos Octa, especially since it was gonna be coupled with a 544mp3. I dont have high hopes for the T4. Hopefully Apple brings something fun to the table.

Vanillalite

So I'm guessing the GN3 will be packing the S800? Kinda of a boring year for SoCs. Everything is gonna get Qualcomm'd. Was really looking forward to the Exynos Octa, especially since it was gonna be coupled with a 544mp3. Hopefully Apple brings something fun to the table.

Apple always brings WINRAR to the table. I expect no less this time around especially on the GPU side. Also we still have Tegra well eventually since Nvidia fails at timely releases.

PS: As someone who has been branded an Ubuntu fanboy despite not evening using Ubuntu these days I gotta admit that long form tablet video had a lot of cool ideas that I wish Android had.

Not that hyped about the phone version. Just at a glance Android seems way better for phones than Ubuntu's mobile remix (disregarding the native code deal), but Ubuntu mobile might actually look like the best current Tablet interface I've seen.

lol htc is fucked if true, at least the others have more meaningful differentiators like bigger battery/sd slots/etc...

Yup, absolutely fucked.

I also just got soft confirmation that ZL may ship in NA with SD-600 rather than APQ8064 and that the European ZL delay was partly based on getting enough SD-600 supply. The Z released early (it's out now in Europe) because Sony weren't willing to wait for SD-600 and the production difficulties I had previously heard about were actually to do with SD-600 procurement issues. TSMC are said to be at full capacity. Apparently Nexus 4 also suffers from this problem which is why it has so many stock problems, APQ8064 supply is very limited right now, Sony may or may not have stock issues given that demand is very, very high for the Z. I have heard that in Europe the Z has sold out it's first shipment on pre-orders alone and they/NTT sold just under 200k in Japan during the first week on sale.

If my source is right and Sony are moving to SD-600 by end Q2 for their current devices then I don't know what HTC can do, their 4MP camera gambit looks like it has failed and as always Samsung are going to bring the big advertising heat. AT&T look to have picked up the Z and T-Mob/Sprint are in talks over the ZL which will give Sony their widest US release ever, and they are said to be readying a huge marketing budget for the "Z-Series" phones in the US if they can get the carrier deals hammered out. Given that carriers will launch on their own schedule a SD-600 launch could be on the cards.

I will repeat that it is only soft confirmation, I am waiting for my friend to write back with further details and full confirmation.

Yup, absolutely fucked.

I also just got soft confirmation that ZL may ship in NA with SD-600 rather than APQ8064 and that the European ZL delay was partly based on getting enough SD-600 supply. The Z released early (it's out now in Europe) because Sony weren't willing to wait for SD-600 and the production difficulties I had previously heard about were actually to do with SD-600 procurement issues. TSMC are said to be at full capacity. Apparently Nexus 4 also suffers from this problem which is why it has so many stock problems, APQ8064 supply is very limited right now, Sony may or may not have stock issues given that demand is very, very high for the Z. I have heard that in Europe the Z has sold out it's first shipment on pre-orders alone and they/NTT sold just under 200k in Japan during the first week on sale.

If my source is right and Sony are moving to SD-600 by end Q2 for their current devices then I don't know what HTC can do, their 4MP camera gambit looks like it has failed and as always Samsung are going to bring the big advertising heat. AT&T look to have picked up the Z and T-Mob/Sprint are in talks over the ZL which will give Sony their widest US release ever, and they are said to be readying a huge marketing budget for the "Z-Series" phones in the US if they can get the carrier deals hammered out. Given that carriers will launch on their own schedule a SD-600 launch could be on the cards.

I will repeat that it is only soft confirmation, I am waiting for my friend to write back with further details and full confirmation.
if that ends up happening that would be great for sony. People can stop whining about that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Still nothing at my N4 in Germany, but honestly I couldn't care much less :) I think I'll manage without long toggle presses for another while.

edit: and there it is :)

malyce

Apple always brings WINRAR to the table. I expect no less this time around especially on the GPU side. Also we still have Tegra well eventually since Nvidia fails at timely releases.

PS: As someone who has been branded an Ubuntu fanboy despite not evening using Ubuntu these days I gotta admit that long form tablet video had a lot of cool ideas that I wish Android had.

Not that hyped about the phone version. Just at a glance Android seems way better for phones than Ubuntu's mobile remix (disregarding the native code deal), but Ubuntu mobile might actually look like the best current Tablet interface I've seen.

This. Ubuntu's phone offerings leaves me with an "eh..." feeling, but the tablet video was really cool. There were some really cool concepts in that video that android could benefit from in the tablet space. The blown up phone interface is tired.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I just realized you can switch tabs on Chrome with swiping in from the bezel. Is there a nice video that explains and shows all these little things you completely overlook and don't know about if you're not up to date on current Android features?

Marco1

I am thinking of making the jump from ios to android with the nexus 4 but why is ios so exclusive to so many devs?
Is there one reason why they don't port games to android also? I have heard of piracy but doesn't the google play store combat this?
Thanks.

I just realized you can switch tabs on Chrome with swiping in from the bezel. Is there a nice video that explains and shows all these little things you completely overlook and don't know about if you're not up to date on current Android features?
how did you overlook that? It's one of the main features. They show it to you when you first open chrome!

LG officially announces 2 smartphones, the F7 and the F5 or some shit I donno. Check it out:

2h4Rrdf.jpg

The F5 is a low end phone, 1gb of ram, dual core, other budget shit.

The F7 looks middle end? Maybe mid-high?:

- Operating System: Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2
- Processor: 1.5 GHz Dual-Core
- Display: 4.7-inch True HD IPS (312 ppi)
- Size: 131.7 x 68.2 x 9.6mm
- Memory: 8 GB / 2 GB RAM /microSD (up to 32GB)
- Camera: 8.0 MP AF / 1.3 MP
- Battery: 2,540mAh

AKA looks MEH but that's a good battery. The higher we go the better.

The LG Optimus Note series.

A lot of people are making really big phones now but none of them seem to understand what makes the Galaxy Note series special. Hint: it's the S-Pen stylus LG!

Considering 4.2.x has been a mess on the N4 which adds almost nothing besides a few things like notification shade toggles that the OEM Android skins have literally had for years, I doubt anybody cares outside of the stock Android diehards.

Pctx

Banned
Considering 4.2.x has been a mess on the N4 which adds almost nothing besides a few things like notification shade toggles that the OEM Android skins have literally had for years, I doubt anybody cares outside of the stock Android diehards.
Besides the Bluetooth snafu the difference is fairly noticeable and experience is much improved.

vivftp

Yup, absolutely fucked.

This news makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :)

Heh, I wonder what this will mean for the ZL I eventually plan to purchase. Will the ones that launch in April have S4 Pro, or SD-600? If S4 Pro, I'd likely want to wait because the SD-600 models wouldn't be too far off. Then if I want for SD-600 models, then the next flagship or phablet won't be too far off... then if I want for that, I'm sure some other shiney object will catch my attention and that won't be too far off... :(

*sigh*

So hard to find that "right moment" to buy with Sony this year.

The LG Optimus Note series.

A lot of people are making really big phones now but none of them seem to understand what makes the Galaxy Note series special. Hint: it's the S-Pen stylus LG!

seriously. these other guys keep making big phones, but no capacitive stylus.

doing.

it.

WRONG!

Besides the Bluetooth snafu the difference is fairly noticeable and experience is much improved.

as i sit here on my Note 2 high horse, all i can do is laugh and think about how bad it would be to downgrade to stock Google. if i had a Nexus, it would be on CM for sure.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Logitech Revue update!

We got the real google play market to replace that shitty version that showed up when we got 3.1.

Still digging through stuff.

Amazon Instant Video app just links you to the amazon website XD

I think most people still like Franco. I used to use Leankernel during my Gnex days but I don't think it makes that much of a difference.

as i sit here on my Note 2 high horse, all i can do is laugh and think about how bad it would be to downgrade to stock Google. if i had a Nexus, it would be on CM for sure.

Seriously. Stock Android is empty-shelves bare. After my year with the Gnex, I honestly don't believe that people were actually meant to use bone-stock Android as a daily driver. It has like no features at all. If you actually wanted stock Android to be useful you had to add a dozen apps just to replicate the basic function included in an OEM skin like TouchWiz. And even there you still won't have Multi-Window. CM helps a lot, the CM team has really added a lot of nice functionality while preserving the stock Android motif.

Oh, and I think Google and Facebook still aren't friends right now so you still can't get Facebook integration in stock Android. This used to drive me nuts on my Gnex. Fortunately Samsung doesn't give a fuck about whatever it is that Google and Facebook are fighting about and so TouchWiz features proper Facebook integration.

anybody excited about MWC?

htc one already announced and samsung won't be showing the s4. is there anything else to be excited about? maybe some sony phones or carrier announcements possibly?

asus and some new tablets possibly? are there even tablets at MWC?

just wondering what we have to look forward to next week.

htc one already announced and samsung won't be showing the s4. is there anything else to be excited about? maybe some sony phones or carrier announcements possibly?

LG and Kyocera will be there right?

Kiraly

Only excited to see the Xperia SP and maybe phones with the new Atom SoC, which should be goddamn fast

Vanillalite

So I'm kind of worried about the S600 chipset. Maybe that's just me being crazy though or maybe I'm just applying the wrong paradigm to this.

gcubed

n fact, Intel may be getting a little ahead of itself. The silicon that probably has the best chance to challenge ARM is the upcoming "Merrifield" system-on-a-chip, which will be based on an entirely new microarchitecture and be the first phone chip to tap Intel's 22-nanometer 3D chip technology.

the quote at the end basically got it. Their stop gap rehashes are keeping their name in the news until merrifield

Only excited to see the Xperia SP and maybe phones with the new Atom SoC, which should be goddamn fast

Sony haven't sent out any press invitations for MWC, so they probably aren't showing anything new. The best we will get is Xperia Tablet Z on the show floor without a release date or price.

Vanillalite

Wish we could skip MWC and just go straight to the Samsung Event. Then we could just skip in time to Google I/O. Those are really the two events everyone cares about!!

Gwanatu T

Same. I can't even stand running AOSP anything on my Note 2 because it is missing so many S-Pen features. I bought the phone mainly for that thing, the size is just a secondary positive for me.

Clock for clock, x86 > ARM is not new news. The problem Intel has had was making x86 use less power so it could be in a mobile device. Curiously, the solution presented itself in a different way when ARM went down the road of making their architecture use more power to give it more IPC. ARM can't play on Intel's turf and win, which makes me wonder what they are doing. Either way, Intel still needs to prove they can get manufacturers on board with design wins before they can become a player in the mobile space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom