• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhdeh

Friend has an S3 with the crashing clipboard problem. I felt sad having to tell him that he either has to root his phone and manually delete a bunch of crap or factory reset to (TEMPORARILY) fix the problem.

GG TouchWiz. Can't believe they didn't even bother fixing it with the JB update.

MiKeD

Banned
What are some of the most recommended devices with a physical keyboards among the GAF community? I still got an Xperia X10 Mini Pro, which I still love and it works great, but I might be looking for an upgrade. I'd rather want it to be available in Europe too, if possible.

But currently Google sell its phone off contract. If the phone is subsidized then you'll be in a contract....therefore loosing the unlimited data.
I meant it would be subsidized by Google, as in they'll sell it at a loss. No contract though.

I dunno, it's just a rumor at this point so you could be right. We're all waiting for Pctx to get new info and pass it on.

You still have to sign a new contract or renew your Verizon contact. So basically Amazon/Wirefry act as indirect dealer for Verizon.
What gives you that impression? I just looked up a RAZR M on Amazon with no contract required. Really not sure why you guys are fighting me on this, but I am curious as to where this misinformation began.

tino

Banned
What gives you that impression? I just looked up a RAZR M on Amazon with no contract required. Really not sure why you guys are fighting me on this, but I am curious as to where this misinformation began.

You said deep discount. Where is the deep discount. Its 540 on Amazon, 550 on Verizon's own site.

tino

Banned
No you said steep discount. Don't back paddle.

Plus whats the point of google paying extra to encourage people` use Verizon? Google probably can't even update the firmware without Verizon approval.

What are some of the most recommended devices with a physical keyboards among the GAF community? I still got an Xperia X10 Mini Pro, which I still love and it works great, but I might be looking for an upgrade. I'd rather want it to be available in Europe too, if possible.

good luck with that. the only half decent (spec wise) KB phone released lately is the Motorola Photon Q, and its CDMA. the lack of high end QWERTY sliders is a big part of why i got a Note 2.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Doesn't currently exist other than maybe the Photon Q as mentioned.

At this point you just have to wait and hope that Motorola throws out maybe another hardware keyboard phone successor to the Droid lineup this year.

catmincer

If it doesn't have to be an Android phone Nokia E7 is an excellent choice but Symbian, Another option is HTC 7 pro but Windows Phone 7.

The best one specs wise is probably Motorola Milestone 3, even then it's not really very high end.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Omg the point is Google can sell a Verizon phone off contract and they can do so at a loss, and it would be to their advantage to do so.

Your wishful thinking doesn't equate to advantageous for anyone but you. You're asking Google to sell and subsidize a one use phone.

Google seems to like playing ball with Verizon though. The only official US version of Galaxy Nexus was the Verizon variant (until the mostly ignored Sprint Gnex came along 6 months later), and the Chromebook Pixel is going to ship in a variant with a Verizon LTE modem built in. I don't know what Google and Verizon exactly have going with each other but it's definitely a vaguely friendly business relationship. It might be something that goes back to the days of the original Motorola Droid, which Verizon pushed hard to compete with AT&T and iPhone but which also really put Android on the radar for the first time. Google owes Verizon big time for really launching Android in the US with the Droid, and Verizon owes Google big time for making Android in the first place and giving Verizon something to fight back with against the unholy marriage of AT&T and Apple's iPhone exclusivity. Both Google and Verizon have benefited from this on-again, off-again relationship. Now that there are universal GSM and CDMA basebands and modems like the one in my Galaxy Note II, it makes sense for the next Nexus to be compatible with all the major US carriers. Hell, if the next Nexus uses Nvidia Tegra 4, it could have a software modem and the owner could re-image the modem on the fly to make it work with the LTE on the carrier of their choice.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Let's not forget that fake Net Neutrality bill they colluded on together. It specifically excluded wireless.

tino

Banned
I think VZN has more consistent policy toward Android than Google toward carriers. I have no idea what will Google do with Nexus 5.

I don't even know what google want to do with Moto.

Samsung 4.2 looking good...

14VGtKwl.jpg
Er8N3usl.png
kJ4wpREl.png

Google seems to like playing ball with Verizon though. The only official US version of Galaxy Nexus was the Verizon variant (until the mostly ignored Sprint Gnex came along 6 months later), and the Chromebook Pixel is going to ship in a variant with a Verizon LTE modem built in. I don't know what Google and Verizon exactly have going with each other but it's definitely a vaguely friendly business relationship. It might be something that goes back to the days of the original Motorola Droid, which Verizon pushed hard to compete with AT&T and iPhone but which also really put Android on the radar for the first time. Google owes Verizon big time for really launching Android in the US with the Droid, and Verizon owes Google big time for making Android in the first place and giving Verizon something to fight back with against the unholy marriage of AT&T and Apple's iPhone exclusivity. Both Google and Verizon have benefited from this on-again, off-again relationship. Now that there are universal GSM and CDMA basebands and modems like the one in my Galaxy Note II, it makes sense for the next Nexus to be compatible with all the major US carriers. Hell, if the next Nexus uses Nvidia Tegra 4, it could have a software modem and the owner could re-image the modem on the fly to make it work with the LTE on the carrier of their choice.

Let's not forget that fake Net Neutrality bill they colluded on together. It specifically excluded wireless.

Never forget the Schmidternet.

6OM3GhT.gif

Cipherr

Why would they ditch AMOLED screens?

LCD2 and LCD3 >>> AMOLED at this point. I love the black levels, but the color accuracy and sharpness is just incredibly hard to beat.

I would be quite happy if Samsung dropped OLED for the S4 until they can get standard arrangement RGB on the 1080p scale with good color accuracy. But they probably won't.

tino

Banned
Google really need to move away from the horizontal "row" based notification screen, maybe to "card" based one.

It's still ok on a phone but totally crap on a tablet.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google really need to move away from the horizontal "row" based notification screen, maybe to "card" based one.

That's just because despite advancements both Android and especially iOS still have a long way to go tablet wise.

Cipherr

I guess I must have missed it reported, but I didn't know that if Google Now's voice search is activated and it detects music, its interface changes without you having to ask it to identify a song:

This is pretty nice. Think Ill drop the widget at this point since the GBar is present on all my home screens. Very nice touch. I do still like the widget though because of the history feature. I'll ID like 4 or 5 songs and just use the history to remember them later.

This is pretty nice. Think Ill drop the widget at this point since the GBar is present on all my home screens. Very nice touch. I do still like the widget though because of the history feature. I'll ID like 4 or 5 songs and just use the history to remember them later.
i've found their ID system to be garbage. misses a lot of stuff that SoundHound and Shazam don't.

kehs

Banned

Google is basically building their own notification system inside of Google Search/Now.

Allows them to throw slim pickings to AOSP while still doing their own flashy up to date design through their own services.

tino

Banned
Google is basically building their own notification system inside of Google Search/Now.

Allows them to throw slim pickings to AOSP while still doing their own flashy up to date design through their own services.

All I want is to delete email from my notif screen.

W1SSY

The developer of Falcon Pro said on Twitter earlier today that the app has hit the token limit. That means that he hit the 100k limit set by twitter. Out of the 100k, 40k have purchased the app from the play store. He has contacted Twitter about getting more tokens and was apparently told unless he is a meets set guidelines that it is not possible to get more tokens. If you tried Falcon Pro and no longer use it they are asking you to revoke access on twitter so others can activate the token.

It seems like the biggest problem is people still being able to purchase the app and then not being able to activate a token and therefore having a useless app. I don't know a lot about what options you have for this situation but he has said he can either pull the app from the store or set the price so high that people will not purchase it. To me it would make sense to allow a developer to keep people from buying but allow people that own the app to update it. The developer set up a petition to try and get more tokens and I attached the link but I really do not see anything coming from it.

Link to an article on it.

Link to petition.

https://twitter.com/falcon_android

Hey so what gives?

I thought the new Google Play Music supported gapless. Why is it that I still hear a pause between songs?

Is there a setting I'm missing? Or is this only enabled for Jellybean (I'm on Ice Cream Sandwich)?

How hard is it for Google to offer gapless music playback?

Holy shit am I reading this right. I don't know if it was posted but here it is:

Yes you just read the title of this message right. Our insider just gave us the first official “unconfirmed” specifications of the next generation Galaxy S, the Galaxy S IV. The Galaxy S IV will no longer use the Samsung EXYNOS processor and according to the latest rumours this processor has overheating issues. Today we can confirm Samsung will use the Snapdragon 600 and it is clocked at 1.9 Ghz which is 0.2 Ghz higher than the HTC One. The Galaxy S IV will have 2 GB of RAM and will come in three variants 16, 32 or 64 GB. As the rumours earlier reported Samsung is going to use a Full HD display. The Galaxy S IV uses a 4,99″ Full-HD SoLux Display we have no information if this is based on LCD3 like the HTC One. But a couple of months ago we posted the first hint regarding Samsung’s LCD factory is ready to produce Full HD panels from early 2013. And we also know Samsung’s AMOLED factory does have many problems with the production of full HD AMOLED screens.

We also know more about the build and dimensions of the device. According to our insider the dimensions of the device are 140.1 x 71.8 x 7.7mm and the weight is 138 gram, the new Galaxy S IV will use a home button and will have touch buttons. If you look at the photo below you will see that it will be square formed again, so they dropped the Galaxy SIII design line. He also said the sides are made from aluminium but the back is still plastic which automatic hints to a removable battery which is good to know.

Yesterday we already found out that the Galaxy S IV will have a 13 megapixel camera. Some leaked photos created by the Galaxy S IV showed up to confirm that.

If our insider is right again this is a bad sign for all the EXYNOS and AMOLED freaks out there. Below a list of the confirmed specifications through us right under the specification list you will see the boot screen photo.

- 4,99″ Full-HD SoLux Display
- Snapdragon 600 1.9 Ghz
- 2 GB RAM
- 16, 32 or 64 GB
- 13 Megapixel
- 140.1 x 71.8 x 7.7mm
- 138 gram
- Home button with touch buttons
- Plastic back with aluminium sides
- Removable battery
- Black / White

Is that display the same as the HTC One display? Because if so....mega orgasm. Those dimensions are on the big side though. Interesting that they are going back to more of an S2 design.

Holy shit am I reading this right. I don't know if it was posted but here it is:

Is that display the same as the HTC One display? Because if so....mega orgasm. Those dimensions are on the big side though. Interesting that they are going back to more of an S2 design.

140.1 x 71.8 x 7.7mm

vs

Sony Xperia ZL: 131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm (5" 1920 x 1080 screen)

LG Nexus 4: 133.9 x 68.7 x 9.1 mm (4.7" 1280 x 768 screen)

Samsung Galaxy S3: 136.6 x 70.6 x 8.6 mm (4.8" 1280 x 720 screen)

Sony Xperia Z: 139 x 71 x 7.9 mm (5" 1920 x 1080 screen)

Huawei Ascend D2: 140 x 71 x 9.4 mm (5" 1920 x 1080 screen)

HTC Droid DNA: 140.9 x 70.6 x 9.7 mm (5" 1920 x 1080 screen)

ZTE Grand S: 142 x 69 x 6.9 mm (5" 1920 x 1080 screen)

Lenovo K900 142 x 69 x 6.9 mm (5.5" 1920 x 1080 screen)

going for 'thin' i guess

Overall it's negligible since it's only slightly bigger than the S3 IRL, or at least the droid DNA is. But it's definitely big. If it has a big battery though I'll let it slide. Does make you realize how damn impressive the ZL is though tech wise.

I'm just glad there's a possibility they will have the best in class screen on their device. I don't mind amoled but lets face it the latest HTC phones have mindblowing screens. I hope it's the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom