• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
…how does that happen when it's thicker than most tablets (10.7mm) and has a far lower spec'd processor.

Its not designed by HP, they just ordered an ODM tablet and slapped the logo on it. Its the same tablet as the Lenovo A1 and Galaxy Tab 7.0 2.

Nicktendo86

So I just had a thought about those galaxy s4 rumours, if that one about going for snapdragon rather than exynos is true, would that mean CyanogenMod would be easier to port? I heard it was difficult before as Samsung don't release the drivers for the processor or something?

So I just had a thought about those galaxy s4 rumours, if that one about going for snapdragon rather than exynos is true, would that mean CyanogenMod would be easier to port? I heard it was difficult before as Samsung don't release the drivers for the processor or something?
it would also mean less bugs since Exynos always seems to get fucked.

buhdeh

Damn I missed the AMOLED vs. LCD war but yes, fuck AMOLED. S4 using a good IPS screen is only a good thing. I love seeing display models of the ATIV S that already have phone and message icons burned into the screen.

In what way does this picture look good!? It looks like a cluttered mess.

I assumed he was being sarcastic. Because it's absolutely hideous.

Hahahaha.

Samsung gonna samsung.

FQf7+

LOL

I didn't doubt after Tegra 3's issues that Nvidia would try and bring it. I just doubted they would get it out in a timely manner and before the competition catches up.

People who have underestimated Nvidia in the past have not fared well in the industry. 3Dfx, ever heard of them? ATI? AMD? Yeah. My Nvidia stock is doing pretty well these days too, I'm thinking of picking some more up.

People who have underestimated Nvidia in the past have not fared well in the industry. 3Dfx, ever heard of them? ATI? AMD? Yeah. My Nvidia stock is doing pretty well these days too, I'm thinking of picking some more up.

Yeah, it's their typical strategy. Flood the market with cheap and crappy products and then , maybe, slowly start building better products.

Yeah, it's their typical strategy. Flood the market with cheap and crappy products and then , maybe, slowly start building better products.

It works incredibly well for the Koreans. That's literally how Samsung and LG started out, and now look at them. It's too bad Japan has no idea how this strategy works and their consumer electronics industry is nearly extinct now.

markot

Banned
It works incredibly well for the Koreans. That's literally how Samsung and LG started out, and now look at them. It's too bad Japan has no idea how this strategy works and their consumer electronics industry is nearly extinct now.

Um. It might have more to do with the fact that Koreans can make cheaper stuff and sell it cheaper cause their currency was and is more favourable to exportage.

Japans currency is going down because the government is intervening, but otherwise like the Yanks, the Yen was seen as a 'safe' investment during hard times, thats why when the US economy hit the brick wall, the dollar and yen went up in value.

Also the Japanese mobile market is weird, they still sell flip phones!

Um. It might have more to do with the fact that Koreans can make cheaper stuff and sell it cheaper cause their currency was and is more favourable to exportage.

Japans currency is going down because the government is intervening, but otherwise like the Yanks, the Yen was seen as a 'safe' investment during hard times, thats why when the US economy hit the brick wall, the dollar and yen went up in value.

Also the Japanese mobile market is weird, they still sell flip phones!

You keep making excuses. Either corporations and countries adapt to a changing world economy, or they die a slow and painful death. Japan's extremely conservative business culture, their general cultural inertia, their various societal issues such as catastrophically low birth rate, none of that has anything to do with their problems amirite? It's all the Koreans' fault, and damn that Yen exchange rate!

markot

Banned
What excuses?

I also think they havent made that many great mobile phones and concentrated almost entirely on the Japanese market while Nokia and co were left to the rest of the world.

But its a fact, the Yen has been hurting Japanese manufacturers for ages, and its a competitive advantage for the Koreans, they can make stuff cheaper...

Hell, how do you think Japan rose to power in those industries? It made stuff cheaper with a weaker currency and could flood markets to out do US and European companies.

And guess what?

Soon Chinese companies will do the same to Korean ones.

Just look at cars, Koreans made them cheaper and gained a foothold and now are making strides in the industry. Chinese ones are doing that too now. People used to joke about Korean cars like they do about Chinese ones.

Price matters more then most things, and a high currency value hurts exports. Why do you think China has been keeping their currency so low for so long? It aint cause its bad for their companies and economy. They depend on exports, so they keep their currency artifically low and refuse to float it.

tino

Banned
The Japanese are non factor in the consumer business market nowadays because the whole market is moving toward intelligent gadgets thats essentially a computer inside.

Japanese companies, traditionally, doesn't "do" computer and doesn't "get" computer. The Japanese CE companies traditional also don't work with open standards, which is a vital part of the computer business. These are IMO the main reason the Japanese companies are not doing well in the CE market anymore.

That, and the yen.

Actually the yen is just the surface of the problem. Both Chinese and S. Korean governments are active participant of the "State Capitalism". That's the main reason of the raise of the S. Korean and Chinese companies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
From Vlad at the Verge on Tegra 4....

The inescapable downside to the entire demo, however, was that we were gathering these scores on a modular, disjointed device that looks far from retail-ready shape. Yes, Nvidia has announced its own Shield portable console and Vizio has a Tegra 4-powered tablet in the works, but neither of those CES debutantes was made available for benchmarking. It looks like this first A15 chip still has a fair distance to go before making its in-store debut.

ShowDog

Does anyone know of a free app that removes redeye from photos? I've tried a bunch and cannot seem to find that option in any of them. Some of them even claimed to have this feature and did not. I'm pretty damn surprised this is even an issue, am I missing something?

Vanillalite

Apple is going to beat the scores Nvidia showed today, even before the Tegra 4 hits the market.

Tis the problem Nvidia faces. If they could get their shit out in a timely manner they'd be golden. Instead the production problems and long cycle mean they can never capitalize.

That being said I'd be interested to see how Qualcomm is able to respond especially GPU wise. They've sort of sucked on that front lately.

Vanillalite

I'm telling you while most of us don't want this I swear a a nice high end 4-4.2 inch 720p screen modern Android phone would do extremely well.

It needs to be higher end though, and not cut some of the corners things like the One S and the Galaxy S Mini did.

We had the HTC One announcement thread, that had less activity than the BlackBerry Z10 thread.
Really? I don't think I ever saw it and I can't find it by searching. I was just expecting a lot more hype around the HTC One since it will be a direct competitor to Samsung's Galaxy S4.

I don't see a thread for Sony's Xperia ZL either which is supposed to be up there with them too.

I'm currently an iPhone 4S owner who skipped out on the iPhone 5 and will be making the switch to Android with one of the aforementioned phones. So I'm trying to get as much info and opinions as I can since I'm new to this side of the smartphone game.

I'm telling you while most of us don't want this I swear a a nice high end 4-4.2 inch 720p screen modern Android phone would do extremely well.

It needs to be higher end though, and not cut some of the corners things like the One S and the Galaxy S Mini did.
samsung is going to release the s4 mini. We'll see if they gimp it as much as they did the s3 mini, or make it legit.

so the sony mwc conference is being liveblogged on the verge right now.

just a heads up i guess. these european hours kinda freaked me out. was expecting a start tomorrow. i feel like i'm looking into the future.

really unexcited for this conference though. hopefully there are some surprises or good leaks of the gs4. now that i think about it, March 14 is actually closer than it feels.

....just looked at a calendar. a little over 2 weeks away, crazy.

Le-mo

I have a question. Would Sprint service my Virgin Mobile phone considering Sprint owns them? There's no Virgin Mobile store near here.

LG on the path to #winning

yLP1q2k.png

LED around the home button? Flip cover turns phone on/off? cutout in flip cover so you can see the notification LED around the home button? yep.

yea yea, and wireless charging for those who like that kinda thing...

RNtL7ZY.jpg

that 2nd row of stuff in the notification pulldown isn't normal shortcuts or quick settings, it's for apps that support QSlide, LG's answer to Samsung's multi-window feature.

2NDDkHO.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-lg-optimus-pro-flip-cover-and-wireless-charging-puck

http://phandroid.com/2013/02/25/lg-optimus-g-pro-hands-on-video/

Kiraly

That Optimus G Pro is kinda cool

Shame that the Optimus G is only just now releasing in Europe, about six months too late. Thanks, LG.

yeah but you have to fit a battery into that 4" phone that can power it all day under normal use.

Lite up home button is a neat idea, does LG have the same buttons arrangement as Samsung?

nope. back and home are swapped.

Anyone see Sony's lolsome press conference this morning! They can get Kaz to announce an expensive and feature light tablet, but for the most important product launch they will have in many years (PS4) Kaz was a notable absence.

Seriously though, the midrange phones are not going to announced for a few more weeks because Sony don't want to have the same long wait like Xperia Z/ZL.

tino

Banned
yeah but you have to fit a battery into that 4" phone that can power it all day under normal use.

nope. back and home are swapped.

You meant Back and Menu are swapped? I don't have problem with that as long as there is Menu.

Missing the S pen is a touch one.

I watched all 3 G Pro hands-on video none of them press Back once, fucking iPhone users.

gcubed

Swap the screen on a RAZR M and you have your phone.

Anyone see Sony's lolsome press conference this morning! They can get Kaz to announce an expensive and feature light tablet, but for the most important product launch they will have in many years (PS4) Kaz was a notable absence.

Seriously though, the midrange phones are not going to announced for a few more weeks because Sony don't want to have the same long wait like Xperia Z/ZL.

Kaz will be at E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom