• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

Motorola just needs a much better screen, better camera, better looking hardware design in general, and they'd be dropping killer shit. Their software is good enough since it's light, and their batteries are awesome.

Meanwhile everyone else (samsung, htc) are dropping killer hardware and just need better software.

the only phone they released so far that had any kind of google input was the Razr M and I. I don't really have any problem with either of those designs (granted, they may be exactly the same).

I agree that it will hinge on the screen quality and camera quality.

Design isn't terrible, and I'm sure their next one will probably look nice. But camera and screen are big ifs. Does google have enough power to swing any of the good screens that everyone else is getting? And motorola's camera software has SERIOUS processing issues that google has shown they don't know how to fix much on the nexus line. We'll see if they figured that out.

I don't get why they can't get better screens. It's pretty noticeable if you put it next to an amoled or HTC screen how average they are in comparison.

gcubed

Design isn't terrible, and I'm sure their next one will probably look nice. But camera and screen are big ifs. Does google have enough power to swing any of the good screens that everyone else is getting? And motorola's camera software has SERIOUS processing issues that google has shown they don't know how to fix much on the nexus line. We'll see if they figured that out.

I don't get why they can't get better screens. It's pretty noticeable if you put it next to an amoled or HTC screen how average they are in comparison.

average is a step up from a gen or two ago for them.

gcubed

That is true. Time to take it to the next level though, if they're really serious about things.

oh i agree. Although i dont see many options for sourcing 1080p screens at the moment, so i think by sheer availability they will be fine on the screen. The camera, i have no idea, i've heard googlers promise camera focus before, so i don't listen to them, but the camera quality isn't a primary factor for me

Isn't motorola the only company unable to get better screens though? Seems like all the rest are managing it. It just makes no sense to me. Even the random chinese companies I'm always shitting on are getting better quality screens.

And google is all promises so we'll see if what Vic said about taking cameras seriously is true.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
looks absolutely awesome, purchased.

Thumbs Up!
thumbsup.png

Meanwhile everyone else (samsung, htc) are dropping killer hardware and just need better software.

Here's the secret that everyone knows about but no one cares to admit. Samsung has the best software. It's not pretty sometimes but it is unmatched in function. This is one big reason why Samsung is winning.

Here's the secret that everyone knows about but no one cares to admit. Samsung has the best software. It's not pretty sometimes but it is unmatched in function. This is one big reason why Samsung is winning.
touchwiz is definitely ugly as fuck but samsung is the only skin maker that does shit that I think google should straight up copy in some form for android, lol. Touchwiz is only a few small aesthetic changes away from going from ugly to pretty nice. Don't know if they realize it though. The silly menus, and some icons are bad, and some apps are just basic as fuck.

Interested to see what they come up with for the new touchwiz, since they said the main focus of the S4 will be user experience features or something.

Angst

Still doesn't work. ;_;

What are you trying to accomplish?

From your first post it kinda sounds like you're trying to install a custom rom. If that's the case the instructions sounds like instructions written three years ago... There are (usually) easier way to do it than going the SDK route.

Blackhead

Redarse

Ugh no! Having the most features doesn't mean your software is the best. If it were we would still be trucking around WinMobile (yay, true IRC multitasking) and Symbian handsets.

The only Galaxy handset I can bear to own is the Note series and that's solely because of the Spen. Even then Snote, and other Samsung Touchwiz apps, are just so frustrating to use that I can't enjoy what the hardware has to offer. I could never use a Touchwiz SII or SIII — or a SIV if Samsung continues down the same path

Cipherr

So it appears that selling hardware via the Playstore is now confirmed to be a permanent thing going forward.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/26/4031206/google-selling-phones-in-the-play-store-is-here-to-stay

At a roundtable session in Barcelona today, Jamie Rosenberg, VP of Google Play, noted that the model of selling devices directly to consumers through the Play store is "here to stay."

That has never been a sure thing: Google famously launched direct sales of its original Nexus device, HTC's Nexus One, before reversing direction and deciding to sell the phone exclusively through other channels. The move effectively ended the Nexus One's retail run in the US, since no major carriers had picked it up for a big sales push. "It's remained a niche channel for early adopters, but it's clear that many customers like a hands-on experience before buying a phone, and they also want a wide range of service plans to chose from," Android boss Andy Rubin said at the time.

It was on shaky ground in the past apparently because of how they started, and then stopping selling hardware with the Nexus 1. But it appears they are making it a permanent part of their business going forward.

So I have confirmed, there is a panel lottery for early Xperia Z shipments. For ZL there isn't. I don't have the name of the suppliers, I'm guessing Sharp and JDI, but the Sharp panel is of poorer quality and is present in the early Z shipments. Later ones will use JDI, it was a supply issue. I'm amazed that Sony didn't get a few review samples built with JDI panels and send those out because I'm told that the screens on those are stunners.

I also have another non-Sony confirmation that SD600 is going to be present in Z/ZL from Q2 but clocked down as to minimise the differences and not upset early buyers. Still waiting for the Sony source to get back to me on that one.

Vanillalite

Just a random thought, but I was wondering about your Android people's desktop/laptop time.

What OS do you use when you aren't using Android (or iOS) on your phone/tablet? How often do you use that OS verses just using Android on your tablet or phone?

diaspora

Thats weird. You tried uninstalling the previous drivers, restart and re installing HTC Sync?

Yep. Still not a recognizable device in fastboot.

What are you trying to accomplish?

From your first post it kinda sounds like you're trying to install a custom rom. If that's the case the instructions sounds like instructions written three years ago... There are (usually) easier way to do it than going the SDK route.

Trying to install a custom Rom, unlock the bootloader first, unless it's not necessary for the One S.

tino

Banned

Its not just software, its both software and hardware. I thought of this yesterday. Samsung has been pulling away from the Android competitors more and more in the last 2 years.

Lets take a look at the hardware. The S-pen is great. Both the LG and HTC pens were terrible, thats why they dropped them. The camera, everyone use the same Sony camera. Samsung has removable battery and lighter chassis. This is not easy to do.

Now look at software. Samsung has bad notification toggle since 2.2? Multiview since...Note 2? These are serious system enhancements. I won't give them credit for gimmick stuff like tile to scoll and whatever. Oh Samsung offered screenshot before google did. So basically Samsung version of the Android is 1-2 versions ahead of google. You can't get multiview from 3rd party either.

Also stay awake and flip to mute are both great ideas. you can get it from 3rd party I believe but they are still great ideas. Pop up video is a great idea too. Now most video players have it because everybody realized it was a great idea.

Now look at the terrible ideas HTC has tried in the last 2 years: 3D camera; Beats audio earphones that only comes with 1 phone; no SD slot; a purple dongle that plug into your phone and flashes when you get a message; facebook buttons....what? I can't believe I write down all these! HTC is a fucking non stop terrible ideas factory!

Vanillalite

Win8 x64. I'm combing through Google to find some linux instructions to see if I can just do this on my Elementary OS x64 machine.

I can tell you how to do it on Elementary as it is easy!

Go to your xda forums and download the zip file posted with the two needed files adb and fastboot. There is a zip which has the Win Mac and Linux versions.

Extract the two Linux files then move them to /usr/bin. You need to be root so sudo mv adb /usr/bin and the same for fastboot.

Linux has the drivers preinstalled so you are now good to go. Just cd to your /usr/bin folder and flash whatever you need.

Fatalah

Its not just software, its both software and hardware. I thought of this yesterday. Samsung has been pulling away from the Android competitors more and more in the last 2 years.

Lets take a look at the hardware. The S-pen is great. Both the LG and HTC pens were terrible, thats why they dropped them. The camera, everyone use the same Sony camera. Samsung has removable battery and lighter chassis. This is not easy to do.

Now look at software. Samsung has bad notification toggle since 2.2? Multiview since...Note 2? These are serious system enhancements. I won't give them credit for gimmick stuff like tile to scoll and whatever. Oh Samsung offered screenshot before google did. So basically Samsung version of the Android is 1-2 versions ahead of google. You can't get multiview from 3rd party either.

Also stay awake and flip to mute are both great ideas. you can get it from 3rd party I believe but they are still great ideas. Pop up video is a great idea too. Now most video players have it because everybody realized it was a great idea.

Now look at the terrible ideas HTC has tried in the last 2 years: 3D camera; Beats audio earphones that only comes with 1 phone; no SD slot; a purple dongle that plug into your phone and flashes when you get a message; facebook buttons....what? I can't believe I write down all these! HTC is a fucking non stop terrible ideas factory!

This great post should be made into a full fledged article!

Zeppu

To be fair you gotta give credit to HTC when Android was just starting. Back in pre-Eclair days Sense was more usable and prettier than stock Android. Especially so for the keyboard, which was pretty terrible before GB.

Cipherr

You forgot the big "LOL" HTC idea, the smaller phone for your bigger phone:

htc_mini.jpg

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck when you look at all those stupid ideas lined up in a row like this....
QUQO0oM.png

Man oh man. Most of them just don't have a clue. Sony is fine I suppose, but even they did the whole Dual Screen Clamshell Tablet dumbassery a few years back. LG is pulling it together, but thats been basically by just copying the shit Samsung gets right, like floating windows etc.

diaspora

I can tell you how to do it on Elementary as it is easy!

Go to your xda forums and download the zip file posted with the two needed files adb and fastboot. There is a zip which has the Win Mac and Linux versions.

Extract the two Linux files then move them to /usr/bin. You need to be root so sudo mv adb /usr/bin and the same for fastboot.

Linux has the drivers preinstalled so you are now good to go. Just cd to your /usr/bin folder and flash whatever you need.

It's still fucking with me. =x

Code:
fastboot: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Yet... it's there. I have both adb and fastboot in /usr/bin...

gcubed

Haha Android police is welcomed to use it for free.

most definitely and the first thing i thought of when reading it was Zeppu's post below. Give credit where its due, early android was heavily influenced by what HTC was doing with the platform. HTC just stagnated though, and now you have their situation.

I fully expect KLP to offer quite a few Samsung "features" built into the OS now. I fully expect Sbeam to be the new android beam. I expect windowed multitasking, at least on a tablet with KLP. They've done it with HTC and they do it currently with Samsung. To be fair, Google has to serve a wider audience then Samsung, and Samsung has definitely had growing pains when introducing new features. Multiview was a large pile of shit on first release, and thats on top of the line hardware. Google doesn't have that luxury.

To be fair you gotta give credit to HTC when Android was just starting. Back in pre-Eclair days Sense was more usable and prettier than stock Android. Especially so for the keyboard, which was pretty terrible before GB.

RayStorm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck when you look at all those stupid ideas lined up in a row like this....

Man oh man. Most of them just don't have a clue. Sony is fine I suppose, but even they did the whole Dual Screen Clamshell Tablet dumbassery a few years back. LG is pulling it together, but thats been basically by just copying the shit Samsung gets right, like floating windows etc.

So what you are saying is that any kind of hardware differentiation/innovation is bad? At least they tried something aside from the usual. Even if it doesn't work out, IMHO that should be commended, not ridiculed.

Vanillalite

It's still fucking with me. =x

Code:
fastboot: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Yet... it's there. I have both adb and fastboot in /usr/bin...

You running as root? Like to flash a boot.IMG aka kernel I boot into the boot loader and go

Code:
cd /usr/bin
sudo fastboot flash boot boot.img

diaspora

You running as root? Like to flash a boot.IMG aka kernel I boot into the boot loader and go

Code:
cd /usr/bin
sudo fastboot flash boot boot.img

Code:
root@diaspora:~# cd /usr/bin
root@diaspora:/usr/bin# sudo fastboot flash boot boot.img

Quick question:

On my S3, typing has come to a slow crawl at times. To the point where I stop typing to let it catch up, Ill close all open apps and still the same problem. Any solution?

Vanillalite

Code:
root@diaspora:~# cd /usr/bin
root@diaspora:/usr/bin# sudo fastboot flash boot boot.img

Try this...

Code:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Then see if it will let you install that. Then rerun fastboot. It's a problem with 32bit libs not being present on a 64bit system. You should be good to go after that! :D

ZTE Says The Grand Memo Has A Snapdragon 800, Then A 600, Probably Has An S4 Pro, Lies About Amount Of RAM, Too

Then, Qualcomm chimed in and said 'no way, the Grand Memo is running a Snapdragon 600.' Which is still a really fast chip (it's in the HTC One, as well). But then we decided to do a little sleuthing, and as far as we can tell, that's not even true: all benchmarks we've run so far point to an APQ8064 processor - the Snapdragon S4 Pro found in the Nexus 4, Optimus G, and numerous other devices from late last year. The Snapdragon 600 is an APQ8064T.

What's worse, ZTE's official press release stated that on top of the claimed 800 processor (which ZTE has now itself amended to 600), the Grand Memo had 2GB of RAM. And... it doesn't. It has 1GB - as shown on ZTE's specification sheet for the device on the show floor, but not in its official press release.

ARmHa3y.jpg

<3 Android Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom