• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
That extra X isn't cheap, you know.

------

On a more serious note, one of the Cyanogenmod guys needs some financial help for a medical problem.

Donated directly, but there's a couple of different things going on.

A member has had a pretty serious problem fall into his lap. +Ryan Scott (aka ChiefzReloaded), a device maintainer, has a rare infection known as Necrotizing Fasciitis. This infection is caused by bacteria that eats skin, fat, and other tissue; it is literally a flesh-eating disease. Ryan is going through the treatments that he needs to keep him alive, but unfortunately, that treatment quickly becomes very expensive to deal with, and it is no exception for Ryan. This disease has placed an incredible strain on him and his family, including his young children. The CyanogenMod team would love to be able to hand out a fistful of cash and help out as much as possible.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scott-family-fund

https://plus.google.com/u/0/117962666888533781522/posts/ib5wz8jk1Jy

kehs

Banned
They're Asian release phones. They never make it to the US.

Guessing they don't want to get into bed with US carriers.

vivftp

So I have confirmed, there is a panel lottery for early Xperia Z shipments. For ZL there isn't. I don't have the name of the suppliers, I'm guessing Sharp and JDI, but the Sharp panel is of poorer quality and is present in the early Z shipments. Later ones will use JDI, it was a supply issue. I'm amazed that Sony didn't get a few review samples built with JDI panels and send those out because I'm told that the screens on those are stunners.

I also have another non-Sony confirmation that SD600 is going to be present in Z/ZL from Q2 but clocked down as to minimise the differences and not upset early buyers. Still waiting for the Sony source to get back to me on that one.

Great to hear, thanks. So would this mean the ZL that should launch in Canada will have S600, or is there a chance there will be a mixture of both processors?

NEC-Medias-W.jpg

http://www.androidauthority.com/dual-screen-nec-medias-w-smartphone-tablet-mwc-2013-161526/

kehs

Banned
Am I crazy and just never noticed it before or do I now have a separate Google Settings app installed?

Never seen it, screenshot?

e: Typical android police blowing a fuse again over Google not totally integrating their services into android.

AP if you're reading: it's never going to happen, get over it.

Never seen it, screenshot?

e: Typical android police blowing a fuse again over Google not totally integrating their services into android.

AP if you're reading: it's never going to happen, get over it.

c'mon son

Google, we need to talk. Why did you make this an icon in everyone's app drawer? "Google Settings"? Really? We already have an icon for settings, it's called "Settings." There's also already a place for Google specific settings, it's in Settings -> Google. Here, I've made a helpful diagram:

how is that not ridiculous?

kehs

Banned
c'mon son

how is that not ridiculous?

I didn't say the duplication isn't ridiculous, I'm just saying, they're never going to lump all their branded stuff into take-me-for-free android.

Android gets left over scraps from their services once they think they've established them as google properties.

Le-mo

I have a Nexus 4 and my email won't display images. It would tell me to view it via a web browser. Is there a way to fix this?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So does anyone have a link to the Ubuntu OS image? Asked four pages ago and no one replied.

Depends on your phone. Like always you need to head to your XDA forum for your specific device. Then you should see a link to the Ubuntu OS for your device if it's been ported over.

Here is the official page however...

Ubuntu Touch

PS: You waited 4 days for a link to the download and didn't just Google it? LOL

It was a massive backfire and was really funny.

It certainly looks like Samsung have taken inspiration from Apple's passbook but, with nfc, might make it actually worthwhile.

Yeah, introducing something like passbook without NFC is really stupid. But I guess you need hold back something for your next device.

Samsung are embarrassing. It's not just that they are utterly unoriginal when it comes to software UI design, it's not just that they clearly haven't learnt anything, it's also that they seem strangely proud of it. Like a knock off brand gone mainstream.

On a more serious note, it'll be interesting to see how the various American carriers respond to this and block the wallet app much like Google wallet, because they are utter cunts. I also hope that Google get their collective fingers out of their asses and sort out Google wallet in Europe where they'll find the carriers aren't as all powerful and dickish. Otherwise they are going to be 1up'd by one of their own vendors. Google should rightly be worried about Samsung dominance but their own tediously slow pace in bringing features to more than just the US should be just as much a worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom