• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Questions to the android peeps, I am planning to get a 7 inch tablet for the missus. What is the best 7 incher right now and what will be coming on the horizon? She will be needing gps on the go, so nexus 7 is out. No kindle or nook for us too since we are not from the US. What are my choices? Should we wait? It is not an urgent purchase.

But it has gps? Or do you mean it needs 3g/4g?

EDIT: Oh she needs cellular?

Just get a galaxy note 2, close enough

tino

Banned
Questions to the android peeps, I am planning to get a 7 inch tablet for the missus. What is the best 7 incher right now and what will be coming on the horizon? She will be needing gps on the go, so nexus 7 is out. No kindle or nook for us too since we are not from the US. What are my choices? Should we wait? It is not an urgent purchase.

There is only 1 option, Huawei MediaPad.

Android and Me are reporting that we should hear an announcement this month in regards to a new Nexus(es). But I think most people were expecting that. Though, he does note that we might hear something at the AllThingsD conference at the end of the month. Hopefully we'll get some solid leaks soon; by this time last year, we had a leak of what the Galaxy Nexus was going to look like, and what it's specs were.

Pctx

Banned
Android and Me are reporting that we should hear an announcement this month in regards to a new Nexus(es). But I think most people were expecting that. Though, he does note that we might hear something at the AllThingsD conference at the end of the month. Hopefully we'll get some solid leaks soon; by this time last year, we had a leak of what the Galaxy Nexus was going to look like, and what it's specs were.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell is the point of every damn manufacture having a "Nexus" phone. It dilutes the brand and causes more chaos than harmony. I'm all for new hardware but good lord, would someone at Google hire me to run this shit and make it worth while for us Gaffers?

yogloo

Thanks for the recommendations guys. We were actually considering the galaxy note until she saw galaxy tab's for factor. Is there any new galaxy version tab 7 coming out anytime soon?

Awww shit that Nexus Rumor is a great way to kick off October. Can't wait. Honestly, if there is only one Nexus, I think it just might be the LG phone. Maybe that's why they went so balls out on the specs for the optimus G. Maybe google asked them to?

buhdeh

I just hope it's well designed. I'd love to get rid of my S3 for a proper Nexus phone. LG would be a nice change but I'm skeptical of their build quality.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I don't know. To me, there's nothing less inspiring in the mobile space than an LG black rectangle.

rc213

Why doesn't Chrome have Quick Controls yet? I want to switch over but that and the fact that a few websites I visit have videos that won't play most of the time.

buhdeh

Yeah the Galaxy Nexus looks and feels great. The S3 on the other hand looks like shit and feels even worse.

LG has been frying to step it up in the hardware department for years now. Software was always there Achilles Heel. But it also seems like they are improving on that front as well, and if this phone also has a nexus variant then we are all in for some good stuff.

Looking forward to android 4.2.

If LG wants to step up their hardware game who am I to say no. And sorry but the galaxy nexus is nothing but a generic shell of a device (though I have some appreciation for simplicity). It doesn't have a singe thing that stands out about it. And cheap plastic is cheap plastic. A Samsung signature I'm not a fan of on any of their phones. At least use higher quality stuff.

Looking forward to android 4.2.

I've been using JB for the better part of a month and I honestly can't think of what Google can add to Android now. It feels feature complete and the UI isn't horrible anymore like GB and earlier versions. ICS was a huge update and JB gave it a really nice finish.

I've never considered getting an LG phone as pretty much everybody I know that has had one, has moaned about problems with the screen. My wife also had the LG Chocolate, the screen went on that after a few months. This was before the smart phone days though.

I don't even know how popular LG smartphones are here in the UK, but yeah that looks nice. It's very close to the Galaxy S2 which I still think is far better looking than the S3.

I've been using JB for the better part of a month and I honestly can't think of what Google can add to Android now. It feels feature complete and the UI isn't horrible anymore like GB and earlier versions. ICS was a huge update and JB gave it a really nice finish.

Android still requires vast amounts of work. Lots to improve. For a start as we've all been prattling on about, there needs to be a unified messaging service, and the text message notification in jelly bean should have a reply or call function built in. There is still no pinch to zoom in Gmail. Android still isn't smooth enough yet, just go to the play store and scroll through lists of apps or try to quickly scroll the G+ app. Wi-Fi direct needs to come back to allow transfer of super large files via Beam or to allow streaming directly to a TV or other device. There needs to be better cloud management options particularly with photographs and the ability to sync with picasa two ways. There needs to be a vastly improved Google Drive/Docs app built into Android which offers smooth and powerful document editing and creation. There needs to be a true social gaming hub which ties into Google Plus with all your game data backed up in the cloud and synced to other devices. Ditto normal apps. Multiple user profiles. Shake to correct or a similar way of quickly undoing typing errors. Gapless playback in the stock music player. Inconsistencies in how the back button works. More notification lock screen options. Some kind of web/security app that allows users to track their individual android device, remote wipe etc etc. Again a unified web app which allows you to manage and move content from your PC to your phone, but without having to plug your phone in. Improvements in speed to Google Now and allowing it to work with native and 3rd party apps with tasker like functionality but driven by voice. Advanced gesture support. There are probably a shit ton more, but that's just from the top of my head. Oh and Gmail to finally sort the low res contact pictures....

Swag

Can anyone explain the advantages of AOSP Android?

I've been using stock Samsung JB on the S3 for a week, and I just can't imagine what I'd gain from switching, apart from maybe better RAM performance.

Gwanatu T

+1 on this I guess. I think they are questionable as phones, but as tablets, go for it.

Definitely a preference thing. Once I got my Note 1 I could never go back to a smaller phone. The form factor is perfect and honestly having to shift it to do certain tasks really isn't a big deal at all.

I'm trying to figure out what the hell is the point of every damn manufacture having a "Nexus" phone. It dilutes the brand and causes more chaos than harmony. I'm all for new hardware but good lord, would someone at Google hire me to run this shit and make it worth while for us Gaffers?

It makes sense given the Android market as it is now. You get choice when you choose Android, and having more than one Nexus in a given year by different manufacturers guarantees that you'll get hardware choice without running the risk of the manufacturer never updating your awesome device. Some people prefer Moto's build quality, others prefer Samsung's stylings, etc.

Can anyone explain the advantages of AOSP Android?

I've been using stock Samsung JB on the S3 for a week, and I just can't imagine what I'd gain from switching, apart from maybe better RAM performance.

Touchwiz is ugly for one, so you'll be getting rid of that. Outside of that there are quite a few things on Touchwiz that you won't find in AOSP, like the gestures and some other special features that Samsung has done a great job with. I personally just prefer the look and feel of AOSP and don't want it messed with other than features added. RAM performance is a huge difference on the S3 though, for some reason Samsung kept the built-in task manager super conservative, and it kills processes even though there's well over a gig of free RAM left. After reviewing the S3 I just couldn't get over how only 800mb of RAM were being used yet I'd have to reload the browser every time I multitasked away.

Swag

Touchwiz is ugly for one, so you'll be getting rid of that. Outside of that there are quite a few things on Touchwiz that you won't find in AOSP, like the gestures and some other special features that Samsung has done a great job with. I personally just prefer the look and feel of AOSP and don't want it messed with other than features added. RAM performance is a huge difference on the S3 though, for some reason Samsung kept the built-in task manager super conservative, and it kills processes even though there's well over a gig of free RAM left. After reviewing the S3 I just couldn't get over how only 800mb of RAM were being used yet I'd have to reload the browser every time I multitasked away.
RAM Performance is really the only thing I'd need, the 833 mb in the International version is abysmal and makes trying to multi-task on the device such a hassle. Music player closing when browsing on Chrome, constant Tab refreshes.

I can live with the look of Touchwiz, it's a minor inconvenience. I'm really apprehensive to try other ROMs because reading the threads on XDA, they're usually filled with posts of things not working, Camera, NFC, Wireless, Memory leaks, although the memory leaks seems seems to have been fixed in quite a few Roms.

MarkusRJR

What's the best upcoming Sony phone? My contract expires next summer and I'm thinking about going with one of their phones next.

Do we have any idea which carriers are getting the new Nexus phones?

I'm on Verizon and it's getting harder and harder to hold off getting an S3 as everyone around me gets one.

Darkkn

2 GB RAM really needs to become a standard for new Android phones. I'm getting sick of stuff being constantly pushed out of memory on my GS3. Launcher getting pushed from the memory after browsing Flipboard is unforgivable imo. I don't know if it's just bad implementation of TouchWiz or does it happen on stock as well...

kinggroin

Banned
2 GB RAM really needs to become a standard for new Android phones. I'm getting sick of stuff being constantly pushed out of memory on my GS3. Launcher getting pushed from the memory after browsing Flipboard is unforgivable imo. I don't know if it's just bad implementation of TouchWiz or does it happen on stock as well...

I'm betting just poor memory management if app management stats are anything to go by.

yogloo

What's the best upcoming Sony phone? My contract expires next summer and I'm thinking about going with one of their phones next.

Experia T is the current flagship I think. If you can wait for a bit then experia V is coming out in December. I am waiting for the experia V.

We discussed this rumour already!
I've never considered getting an LG phone as pretty much everybody I know that has had one, has moaned about problems with the screen. My wife also had the LG Chocolate, the screen went on that after a few months. This was before the smart phone days though.

I don't even know how popular LG smartphones are here in the UK, but yeah that looks nice. It's very close to the Galaxy S2 which I still think is far better looking than the S3.
well if it makes you feel better, LG is capable of making great screens because they do indeed supply apple, them and Sharp I believe.

panda21

hope theres a sony nexus. i don't really care about specs so much as having something that isnt just yet another SGS2 style black rectangle.

anyone tried the new SGS2 AOKP? does the latest aokp have anything worth having over CM10?

elsk

Banned
I hope they release a Galaxy Nexus 2, I like the current design but Idk if I should buy the current version or wait :/

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Where can I find scrolling wallpapers for the SIII? I can't find any good android wallpaper websites.

Download the Wallbase app

This is what I did. I downloaded Wallbase. Then in the settings I searched for the highest resolution pics. Then the picture will format to your device, but you'll lose some of the sides. Up and down are intact though. So you just have to find a pic that's either just ambient or the focal point is in the middle so it doesn't get cut off.

So far it's worked perfect for me. This is my current lock screen with wallpaper I found through the Wallbase App..

screenshot_2012-09-25fdu5v.png

still standing by my prediction that LG will become more popular than HTC...

the more I think about it, the more i notice that they are really similar to Samsung...

I mean they make everything from refrigerators and washers and dryers, to TV's and smartphones and back...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom