• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

buhdeh

The page jumping in Chrome is passing me off. Is there no way to turn it off? I'm talking about the jump that happens when you tap the very right edge of the screen in Chrome. Fucking makes hitting the last post button a pain.

tino

Banned
Just listen to Verge Mobile podcast, they called Nexus 4 the "James Gandolfini of smartphones". :lol: :lol:

Threi

notag
The page jumping in Chrome is passing me off. Is there no way to turn it off? I'm talking about the jump that happens when you tap the very right edge of the screen in Chrome. Fucking makes hitting the last post button a pain.
I noticed this too, quite annoying.

gcubed

yup, started with the beta a while ago, also sometimes it takes a few touches to get the mobile gaf menu to pop up

Why is it taking so long for Google to make chrome better. Shouldn't it be one of their priorities. Changing the version number to something closer doesn't make it as good as it should be google :p

Pctx

Banned
Why is it taking so long for Google to make chrome better. Shouldn't it be one of their priorities. Changing the version number to something closer doesn't make it as good as it should be google :p

The Chrome team is headed up by Corpy so its made to suck.

tino

Banned
So I just tried Chrome again (Galaxy Note, official 4.0 firmware).

I really don't like the refresh frame rate during fast scrolling. Much worse than ICS browser. I am talking about simple stuff like neogaf mobile. And since you don't have way to do fast jump to top/bottom, you have to see that choppy ass scrolling all day.

gcubed

this release is a million times better then the previous release. So its getting better

So I just tried Chrome again (Galaxy Note, official 4.0 firmware).

I really don't like the refresh frame rate during fast scrolling. Much worse than ICS browser. I am talking about simple stuff like neogaf mobile. And since you don't have way to do fast jump to top/bottom, you have to see that choppy ass scrolling all day.

yeah see, maybe my eyes don't see it, but if i take a full thread and scroll as fast as I can on Chrome it flies through without choppiness (to me). This is on a sub par galaxy nexus. Unless you are saying you want the scrolling to be "more cinematic"

Mostly it's because it's good fodder for Copernicus. By the time release 26 rolls around (which should introduce yet further performance improvements) it should be quite a bit better again. They are definitely working on it, and working hard but it's taking longer than everyone would like. On the Nexus 4 I can live with it. On less powerful devices it's not nearly good enough yet.

tino

Banned
this release is a million times better then the previous release. So its getting better

yeah see, maybe my eyes don't see it, but if i take a full thread and scroll as fast as I can on Chrome it flies through without choppiness (to me). This is on a sub par galaxy nexus. Unless you are saying you want the scrolling to be "more cinematic"

Are you on 4.1? If you are, you don't have ICS Browser to compare with any way. If I have a 60fps camera I would make a video and show you.

Hey guys, I could really use some help.

Last night I had to restart my Droid Charge, and it went into some kind of reboot loop where it couldn't get past the red video of gears turning that comes on after the Samsung logo and before you get to the start screen. It was stuck on that screen all night. I tried taking out the battery, wiping the cache, and finally did a factory reset, but nothing helps.

I rooted it about two years ago, and I've had the Gummy Charge rom installed this whole time.

Have any of you had a similar problem with any kind of Android, and were you able to fix it?

Chrome is a complicated program, the team is small, they have to support Linux, Windows, Chrome OS, iOS and Mac in addition to Android.

Kiraly

4.jpg

Next to a S3, jesus fuck that phone is big.

(5.5" 1080p Intel Atom "Clover Trail+")

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Whoa, I had no idea that was an S3.

kinggroin

Banned
Holy shit is Chrome an unmitigated disaster of a web browser.

No cursor in text boxes when replying in GAF
Super stuttery scrolling that only gets worse with image and gif heavy pages
Different font in text boxes??
Glitchy page rendering or none at all sometimes.

I have never uninstalled an app so fast. Should have kept the Beta status.

This is annoying on mobile GAF, right? That's where it stands out for me because of the nature of navigation.

I think they can disable the scroll bar on the site via CSS, as per http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3296644/how-to-hide-scrollbar

kehs

Banned
Is this low memory storage thing where every chugs along an n7 thing or a jellybean thing?

I was getting so frustrated yesterday cause my tablet was unusable until I checked the storage.

ScOULaris

So I just got a Galaxy S3 and flashed CM10.1 M1 on it, and I've noticed that embedded YouTube videos using the API don't play correctly. When trying to view embedded videos in Reddit News and Reddit Sync, the same thing happens in both apps. When in portrait mode, the video starts loading normally in the middle of the screen. Once the playback starts, the actual video becomes invisible, and the area behind where the video should be becomes brightened in color. Audio can be heard, and the video is visible only if you turn the phone horizontal and cause the video to go into fullscreen mode.

I tested it on my Nexus S running on CM10, and the videos work normally. So I was thinking that maybe this has something to do with Android 4.2.1 and above, maybe? Or could it just be this particular build of Cyanogenmod?

I tried to take a screenshot of how it looks when this happens, but strangely enough the screenshot shows the video playing normally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a pretty annoying problem, as I use apps that make use of the YouTube API quite often.

I switched from iOS (iPhone 4S & iPad Mini) to Android (Nexus 4 & Nexus 7) a few weeks ago and have not looked back. Android is nice, and it runs well on those devices. I like the size of the Nexus 4. The Nexus 7 is really good for reading (I use Pocket for web articles). Google Music is awesome. Really, it is great. I also really like Google Now. I have meetings throughout the day, and it just gives me a quick place to see that and the weather.

I do not feel like I am missing out on much, since I do not use many applications and play many mobile games.

I will say that getting up and developing on Android is not as easy as iOS or any of the major OSes, which is frustrating. :/

kehs

Banned
Time for some Google bitching.

All of this space in Google Voice page and the box to type the message in is ridiculously tiny. It's not even resizeable.

Then Google has the audacity to question the length of my text with a "Really?" for the word count?

Really Google, Really?

really.jpg

3phemeral

All of this space in Google Voice page and the box to type the message in is ridiculously tiny. It's not even resizeable.

Then Google has the audacity to question the length of my text with a "Really?" for the word count?

Really Google, Really?

really.jpg

Well, you do have that conveniently sized scroll bar for your text-adjusting needs.

giga

Really Google, Really?

really.jpg
"Don't be evil."

AnkitT

OK, so another convert to android. I bought a RAZR maxx HD and am wondering how to remove the Verizon bloat ware from it. Are there any ROMs or whatever I can try out? Is there a guide for noobs out there?

OK, so another convert to android. I bought a RAZR maxx HD and am wondering how to remove the Verizon bloat ware from it. Are there any ROMs or whatever I can try out? Is there a guide for noobs out there?
yeah just visit XDA forums. Good luck trying to navigate that hellhole lol.

3phemeral

Or you can try rootzwiki, which seems to be nicer, but it's like a watered down XDA. Also, I've also started to see more assholes pop up there doing the same thing to newbies that got XDA it's horrible newbie reputation.

Anyway, I found some XDA threads that should help you out, but you'll still have to do the reading for your device-specific needs:

[UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER ONLY] Upgrade ics RazrHD to JB via RSD-Lite
[Recovery] Safestrap Recovery V3.0 [11/07/2012 V3.05.x] [All Versions]
[Recovery] CWM Recovery v6.0.2.8 for XT925 (**UPDATED**2013-02-19)

Main thing is that :

• You want to unlock your bootloader.
  • Root your device and install a recovery script like CWM (clockworkmod), which allows you to wipe your device and install ROMS. You have various options to use for recovery, but some recoveries work better with different phones. Seems the go-to recovery for your phone is cwm, but there are others like TWRP (which I use and have had better experience with, but that's due to a problem with compatibility with the tf101 and cwm)
  • Find a ROM (will probably take most of your time trying to figure out which one you think you might like) and matching GAPPS (which is a collection of Google's bare-necessity apps that you'll need to link your phone to your gmail account).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dear Android-GAF,

Sorry if I've been a douche lately and thanks for putting up with me. I sincerely thank you for all of the fun, laughs, and good times you bring! Thanks a ton!

Sincerely,
Brettison

TTOOLL

guys,

If I buy a Galaxy Note II and install CM 10.1 will I lose any handy feature that comes with Touchwiz?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom