• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Total dbag!

You a douche? Never crossed my mind, now that pyro character....

IDK sometimes I just get that feeling that I've been a bad poster/person sometimes. I think it's my anxiety/depression getting the best of me and even seeping over into my online posting stuff. Sorry Android-GAF!

guys,

If I buy a Galaxy Note II and install CM 10.1 will I lose any handy feature that comes with Touchwiz?

thanks!

If you buy a Note II you're buying it for the S-Pen stuff and the extra added touch wiz features. Granted some stuff will still work with custom ROMs, but really your getting this phone because of what it offers with the out of the box features.

If those don't excite you then your best off just getting a different phone IMO.

kehs

Banned
IDK sometimes I just get that feeling that I've been a bad poster/person sometimes. I think it's my anxiety/depression getting the best of me and even seeping over into my online posting stuff. Sorry Android-GAF!

You can feel bad when you're the top poster in the thread.

Well the rumours leading up to that benchmark seemed solid that the S4 in NA will have a higher clocked s600 rather than the exynos. Then came this benchmark. What's more reliable? Guess it doesn't even matter since we'll find out in under 2 weeks.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Exchange Services randomly started killing my battery. Great.

All my pictures in Gallery are no longer visible lol. They were and are in the same folder but vanished in Gallery. Reset, force stopped, cleared defaults/data to no avail.

LOL

No external storage now. Hahaha.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
xda is horrible to new posters but I understand. A lot of people there are just drive by posters, getting help and never contributing. It's a total PITA to have the same questions asked over and over. They need to fix it with a wiki for each Device or ROM install. That would solve many concerns. And then there are the people who come in making feature requests. It's just a pain.

You're a waste of my ADN invite, that's what!

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Had to factory reset my phone so that pictures would update in the gallery. Jesus Christ.

POP3 email no longer works now. What the fuck is going on.

Nicktendo86

xda is horrible to new posters but I understand. A lot of people there are just drive by posters, getting help and never contributing. It's a total PITA to have the same questions asked over and over. They need to fix it with a wiki for each Device or ROM install. That would solve many concerns. And then there are the people who come in making feature requests. It's just a pain.

You're a waste of my ADN invite, that's what!

XDA gets undeserved hate IMHO, my brother needed help rooting his HTC One V and puting CM on it, they helped him no problem and one poster even gave him a nice step by step guide. I've never felt the need to post there to ask a question, a search will usually answer my query. So long as you're not an arsehole XDA is fine.

XDA gets undeserved hate IMHO, my brother needed help rooting his HTC One V and puting CM on it, they helped him no problem and one poster even gave him a nice step by step guide. I've never felt the need to post there to ask a question, a search will usually answer my query. So long as you're not an arsehole XDA is fine.

I had the same experience. Most of the stuff you can get there has a detailed walkthrough and you won't have any issues if you follow the instructions. You can't say it's a hostile enviorement if people get a bit angry when someone asks questions already answered in the OP. You can get banned for that on NeoGAF. And community or not, it's the best place to get your Android customized and improved.

gcubed

Galaxy S4 specs leaked

Exynos Octa 5410 CPU clocked at 1.8GHz
PowerVR SGX 544MP GPU
2GB of RAM
4.99″ Full HD (1920×1080) display
13 Megapixel Camera

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/03/03...s-leak-confirm-exynos-octa-powervr-sgx-544mp/

Also going to be 1 variant now. No more different models for cdma and gsm.

we've gotten to the point were a spec sheet is uninspiring, because nothing there is exciting in the least. What does it look like, whats the battery size, whats the screen...

Pctx

Banned
Had to factory reset my phone so that pictures would update in the gallery. Jesus Christ.

POP3 email no longer works now. What the fuck is going on.

You own a Nexus 4 don't you?

BTW, Anyone been having issues with Google Services eating their battery? Apparently this is only a god-tier bug for those of us who are on 4.2.2 but the Wi-Fi location updating is keeping devices from going into deep sleep and chewing the battery like a monkey eats ice cream for breakfast.

I'm not saying I'm going to go back to Apple but the thread I bookmarked on my phone and reading all of the bitching makes me wonder if Google even cares about fixing the OS issues let along new features.

the problem is that some people just don't want to read or search, they want to just ask and the answers presented to them immediately. some devices have had great wikis in the past and the people who should have been using the, just weren't.

Pctx

Banned
the problem is that some people just don't want to read or search, they want to just ask and the answers presented to them immediately. some devices have had great wikis in the past and the people who should have been using the, just weren't.

XDA's problem is that it should be closed registration and invite only at this point.

tino

Banned
I have been using xda for years. Its still very intimidating to me. Not for unfriendlyness, but for the fact that they put the normal stuff normal android hackers should use and "there be dragons" experimental stuff together in the same forums.

^_^ @ Morton GS4 thread

XDA's problem is that it should be closed registration and invite only at this point.

closed registration but open to read!

must submit out a usable guide to gain entry...

I have been using xda for years. Its still very intimidating to me. Not for unfriendlyness, but for the fact that they put the normal stuff normal android hackers should use and "there be dragons" experimental stuff together in the same forums.

you want things split even more? it's already crazy the way it is now with general, qa, mods, original development and themes all split into subforums per device!

things used to be spread a lot less in the WinMo days...

Blackhead

Redarse

XDA's problem is that it's a mess.
XDA's problem is that CM just dumps rom download links on their website without an explanation of how to install the damn things.
XDA's problem is that there are (too) many Android handsets and versions and each one of them has a different rooting and unlocking method.
XDA's problem is that it is the Android equivalent to MacRumours except nobody goes to the Macrumours forums to learn how to jailbreak their iDevices.

yogloo

Xda is a terrible forum. People are mostly rude and information is scattered between a stupidly huge amount of subforum. Phone A Q&A, Phone A apps, Phone A tips and tricks, Phone A general talk, Phone A accesories, Phone A original android development, Phone A non original android development.
Whenever questions are posted in the wrong forum everyone would gang up on the user and be as conceited and obnoxious as humanly possible.

Xda is a terrible forum. People are mostly rude and information is scattered between a stupidly huge amount of subforum. Phone A Q&A, Phone A apps, Phone A tips and tricks, Phone A general talk, Phone A accesories, Phone A original android development, Phone A non original android development.
Whenever questions are posted in the wrong forum everyone would gang up on the user and be as conceited and obnoxious as humanly possible.
pretty sure every other subforum mentions in a sticky that Q&A is for questions. if someone still posts a question in "the wrong forum", one can only assume that they don't read too well or they don't care.

malyce

Xda is fine. It's the new posters that wanna be spoon fed/hand held through every tutorial, not read the stickies and act like you're getting paid to fix their problems that has all the regular members on edge. The fact that most people only join to get quick fixes to their solutions and leave soon thereafter doesn't help much either.

Pctx

Banned
XDA's problem is that it's a mess.
XDA's problem is that CM just dumps rom download links on their website without an explanation of how to install the damn things.
XDA's problem is that there are (too) many Android handsets and versions and each one of them has a different rooting and unlocking method.
XDA's problem is that it is the Android equivalent to MacRumours except nobody goes to the Macrumours forums to learn how to jailbreak their iDevices.

There is a big divide between iOS device users and Android users. Android users are users of Linux. Linux users are told at their birth into the open-source world to RTFMAUFM! iOS device users are expected Jailbreaks to be handed to them on a silver platter.... no reading, just repeatable steps to JB a device. If iOS is like Mac OS, then Android is like Arch. There will never be a "one size fits all" because the hardware is different. I respect the way XDA handles the n00bs because you get the people wanting or having the silver plate mentality and then they spew acid if they brick their phone.

Ironically, XDA has in its name that it is a "developer" forum, not an end user forum. I run beta Android software on my phone. Why? Because I know what I'm doing and I love running bleeding edge. Is it for everyone? No. Hell, look at the JB's for the iOS devices, the hackers cannot keep up with the updates from Apple (usually...) and thus you're "islanded" until the next JB. Normal people don't get that. Within this thread, I think there is a safe haven of helping people as much as we can given the experience (either general or broad) with Android and specific devices us Android folk have used. However, it is nowhere near the level of detail you'll get from XDA or Rootzwiki.

All of that to say, XDA will always be what XDA is.

Blackhead

Redarse
Xda is fine. It's the new posters that wanna be spoon fed/hand held through every tutorial, not read the stickies and act like you're getting paid to fix their problems that has all the regular members on edge. The fact that most people only join to get quick fixes to their solutions and leave soon thereafter doesn't help much either.

As they fucking should be. This shit isn't easy and communities should be bending over backwards making it as simple as possible for new people to join and learn. Even if they are coming for one basic problem and then running away, I don't understand the snobbish attitude that insists only ROM developers are worthy of asking questions and receiving answers.

People ask questions because they don't understand and are scared of messing up. Your tutorial/root/hack/website should be so simple that they don't even have to ask questions. If people are asking questions then that likely means that you already fucked up.

I can provide single links for newbies with iOS or webOS devices and be sure that if they go to the websites they'll easily find instructions that will handle what they want to do. I can't say the same for any Android devices, even Nexus devices are problematic.

Also the stickies are mess. Usually just links to other threads, often rarely updated with new info, sometimes using jargon without a FAQ. *ugh*

There is a big divide between iOS device users and Android users. Android users are users of Linux. Linux users are told at their birth into the open-source world to RTFMAUFM! iOS device users are expected Jailbreaks to be handed to them on a silver platter.... no reading, just repeatable steps to JB a device. If iOS is like Mac OS, then Android is like Arch. There will never be a "one size fits all" because the hardware is different. I respect the way XDA handles the n00bs because you get the people wanting or having the silver plate mentality and then they spew acid if they brick their phone.
That's not true, I disagree that there is a big divide between Android users/developers and iOS users/developers, especially the types of users/developers who want to jailbreak/root their devices. The only discernible difference at best is that iOS users/developers seem to care about design but Android users/developers seem to be catching up

Ironically, XDA has in its name that it is a "developer" forum, not an end user forum. I run beta Android software on my phone. Why? Because I know what I'm doing and I love running bleeding edge. Is it for everyone? No. Hell, look at the JB's for the iOS devices, the hackers cannot keep up with the updates from Apple (usually...) and thus you're "islanded" until the next JB. Normal people don't get that. Within this thread, I think there is a safe haven of helping people as much as we can given the experience (either general or broad) with Android and specific devices us Android folk have used. However, it is nowhere near the level of detail you'll get from XDA or Rootzwiki.

All of that to say, XDA will always be what XDA is.
True but that's the problem

Hell, look at the JB's for the iOS devices, the hackers cannot keep up with the updates from Apple (usually...) and thus you're "islanded" until the next JB. Normal people don't get that.
Occasionally the jailbreaks come pretty quickly (usually on a '.x' update) but it's no different from trying to get roots and unlocks from a Android phone with a belligerent manufacturer. Nexus phones with their unlocked bootloaders and AOSP releases are the only ones you can truly say have hackers keeping up with the updates.

malyce

As they fucking should be. This shit isn't easy and communities should be bending over backwards making it as simple as possible for new people to join and learn. Even if they are coming for one basic problem and then running away, I don't understand the snobbish attitude that insists only ROM developers are worthy of asking questions and receiving answers.

People ask questions because they don't understand and are scared of messing up. Your tutorial/root/hack/website should be so simple that they don't even have to ask questions. If people are asking questions then that likely means that you already fucked up.

I can provide single links for newbies with iOS or webOS devices and be sure that if they go to the websites they'll easily find instructions that will handle what they want to do. I can't say the same for any Android devices, even Nexus devices are problematic.

Also the stickies are mess. Usually just links to other threads, often rarely updated with new info, sometimes using jargon without a FAQ. *ugh*

Are you serious? This is what most of these guys do as a fucking hobby. They don't get paid to do this. Android isn't iOS where one size fits all. If you're worried about bricking your phone, or you want a one click solution you should probably stick to stock or get an iPhone.

Greyface exactly why I said good luck navigating that hellhole regarding XDA lol. Confusing forums confusing stickies and instructions that aint that great.

Also that GS4 teaser video...lawwd. Also apparent confirmation that it's plastic, hopefully not of the cheap glossy kind.

Pretty much this. Idiots head straight into development threads just to ask the most pedestrian of questions ("how do I install colonel? Do I need jailhack to do it?") which could be solved by a simple Google search, reading one of the many stickied threads within the device sub - forums or simply searching the thread. Total facepalm when users with a sense of entitlement complain the free, beta app/rom/kernel they install has an issue they want fixed immediately.

I wonder if they should charge a token amount to register, just a few £/$ to deter the thousands who sign up to ask one question, or lock the development forums (I don't care what goes on in General/Q&A etc)

Talon

I really don't think this is true.

There are just as many Android users that want or are only capable of implementing one click jailbreaks. It's not like the iOS dev community isn't a big group of fat nerds.

BTW, Anyone been having issues with Google Services eating their battery? Apparently this is only a god-tier bug for those of us who are on 4.2.2 but the Wi-Fi location updating is keeping devices from going into deep sleep and chewing the battery like a monkey eats ice cream for breakfast.

I'm not saying I'm going to go back to Apple but the thread I bookmarked on my phone and reading all of the bitching makes me wonder if Google even cares about fixing the OS issues let along new features.

Yeah I have that issue every so often LocationManagerService keeps the phone awake and eats the battery up.

Edit: Happened this morning in fact, 2hr11min of phone awake before I noticed. I'm tempted to disable Google Now for a while to check if that's to blame.

Pctx

Banned
I really don't think this is true.

There are just as many Android users that want or are only capable of implementing one click jailbreaks. It's not like the iOS dev community isn't a big group of fat nerds.

That's what ODIN is for so thus buy a Samsung device. The problem is people don't take the time to read. Honestly, truthful moment for me... before I started doing shit to my Skyrocket, I read, re-read, watched YouTube videos on how to unlock the phone, install a custom recovery, how to install a custom ROM, re-read XDA, checked MD5SUMS, etc. etc. It's not like a person can simply go "Oh, I want a custom ROM on my phone today" and expect it to work like stock with no issues or errors. My experience with JB's on iOS up until 4.x on iOS was painful. At least with Android you can "make" things happen if you know where to look and look for a rabbit trail of someone else who has done it.

On the flip side, how many people then in either development side give back to the community? The XDA guys (including myself) can be dicks sometimes but we're willing to help or give back when needed.

Pctx

Banned
Yeah I have that issue every so often LocationManagerService keeps the phone awake and eats the battery up.

Yup. Just read about that last night. Unfreakingbelievable that Google would not address it. Only things that apparently "fix it" are a factory reset (HA!) and/or disabling a lot of the location updates which is what I've done and battery seems to be lasting longer now.

Blackhead

Redarse
Are you serious? This is what most of these guys do as a fucking hobby. They don't get paid to do this. Android isn't iOS where one size fits all. If you're worried about bricking your phone, or you want a one click solution you should probably stick to stock or get an iPhone.

First off, yes, some do get paid to do this. Some websites have ads, some take donations, some offer paid apps, some use the XDA experience on their resume to bigger and better things.

But that's not the point. The developers on the iOS side and the webOS side aren't being paid to do it either — it's a fucking hobby for them too. But it's not just about putting out a ROM and a single line 'tutorial' on how to install it for them, they care about doing all parts of the process extremely well. So the iOS hackers will focus on polishing Cydia and making it easy to use. The webOS hackers will writing extra pages on the webOS Internals wiki. Android hackers should similarly be interested in that instead of only caring about which latest ROM improves on some random benchmark.

kehs

Banned
XDA has a terrible setup. It was terrible, but understandable in the winmo days because things weren't compatible across devices. But now? Having an "apps" section for every god damn device on android? pfft. ROMs all over the place depending on who is doing them? Ridiculous. Oh and new members can't post in development, but they are free to shit up the other sections with new threads? gobcomeon

Don't forget all the twats whose only purpose on that forum is to tell people to use the search.

Cipherr

True but that's the problem

Not its not. That's the nature of the site. Its a developer based site. Its not a '1 click to root' website set up for some iPhone.

You are calling it the problem, but thats not it. The problem is that you want it to be something that it is not. XDA is a known quantity. And the information you likely want, IS there. Whether people can sate their Attention Deficit long enough to actually read a word or three to get it is another story.

If you can't there's always other websites further from the source where people will be much more likely to spoon feed you steps. Plenty of Android sites write articles and step by steps on how to root your "Insert popular phone here".

Yup. Just read about that last night. Unfreakingbelievable that Google would not address it. Only things that apparently "fix it" are a factory reset (HA!) and/or disabling a lot of the location updates which is what I've done and battery seems to be lasting longer now.

I uninstalled Facebook, then disabled all of Google+ services, still no joy. I don't want to disable everything to try and sort it since it kinda negates the point of having a smartphone. :-

Pctx

Banned
XDA has a terrible setup. It was terrible, but understandable in the winmo days because things weren't compatible across devices. But now? Having an "apps" section for every god damn device on android? pfft. ROMs all over the place depending on who is doing them? Ridiculous. Oh and new members can't post in development, but they are free to shit up the other sections with new threads? gobcomeon

Don't forget all the twats whose only purpose on that forum is to tell people to use the search.

Oh come now, you do it.... admit it, just to get your post count up. ;)

nobody wants to spend their spare time helping some petulant fuckbag that has already demonstrated the inability to read and follow simple instructions.

Pctx

Banned
I uninstalled Facebook, then disabled all of Google+ services, still no joy. I don't want to disable everything to try and sort it since it kinda negates the point of having a smartphone. :-

True. My most used service has been Google Now which I haven't nerfed, but I do agree.

i tip my hat to them.

i especially like the ones that reply like that and also link search results to prove that search works just fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
Not its not. That's the nature of the site. Its a developer based site. Its not a '1 click to root' website set up for some iPhone.

You are calling it the problem, but thats not it. The problem is that you want it to be something that it is not. XDA is a known quantity. And the information you likely want, IS there. Whether people can sate their Attention Deficit long enough to actually read a word or three to get it is another story.
No. I'm saying that XDA is extremely bad at what it is and yet it's the first suggestion for newbies.

If you can't there's always other websites further from the source where people will be much more likely to spoon feed you steps. Plenty of Android sites write articles and step by steps on how to root your "Insert popular phone here".

Links? What site would you send someone with a Galaxy S3 that will help him/her root their device, remove crap apps, then keep them covered for future updates?

nobody wants to spend their spare time helping some petulant fuckbag that has already demonstrated the inability to read and follow simple instructions.
If a petulant fuckbag can't follow your 'simple' directions without giving everybody a bad day then they aren't 'simple' enough.

Links? What site would you send someone with a Galaxy S3 that will help him/her root their device, remove crap apps, then keep them covered for future updates?
i'd tell them to trade in their device and get an Apple Five.

If a petulant fuckbag can't follow your 'simple' directions without giving everybody a bad day then they aren't 'simple' enough.
i dunno how it can be any simpler than "Questions go in Q&A" but somehow people fail that every day.

Happening on my nexus 10 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom