• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

ektoll

Links? What site would you send someone with a Galaxy S3 that will help him/her root their device, remove crap apps, then keep them covered for future updates?

The more popular the device, easier the tutorials will be...
There is a lot of websites/blogs where you'll find step-by-step instructions to modify your Samsung S3. I just googled it and found this, in french.

If you want to go further, XDA will have your answers, but you'll have to read a little bit... I'm really grateful to them! ;)

kehs

Banned
Highly Secure phone from Motorola Solutions (not Mobility)

Not surprisingly, encryption plays a big part of the AME 2000's security appeal. "We utilize two layers of encryption instead of the one in a [standard] VPN. They operate in two different processors, the phone itself and in our hardware-encrypted chip," Schluckbier explained. Simple software app encryption, he said, is simply not enough protection for U.S. federal government use.

That hardware-encrypted chip is an unusual security feature that Motorola calls the CRYPTR micro. It looks like a microSD card, and it has the same form factor, but it's actually a hardware security module that provides tamper protection for tokens, keys, and certificates. It meets FIPS 140-2 Level 3 and National Security Administration Suite B encryption standards, and can perform high-assurance cryptographic operations.

Crazy stuff.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_...e-android-phone-in-the-world-maybe/?ttag=gpwl

kinggroin

Banned
Hi guys I got a new smartphone for Tmobile from my mom for Christmas and want to put icecream sand which on it. Can someone tell me step by step how I'm new to this.

Hi guys I got a new smartphone for Tmobile from my mom for Christmas and want to put icecream sand which on it. Can someone tell me step by step how I'm new to this.

chase down the ice cream truck. you may need two dollars nowadays, prices have risen... when it stops, ask for the product and pay the person. open and discard any paper or plastic packaging and then place the product on top of your handset.

buhdeh

I don't understand what's so hard about XDA. Read the stickies and do searches. It took me all of 5 minutes to find the Nexus toolkit and root my Nexus 7 by READING the in-app instructions. Even the S3 has its own toolkit and if the DOS interface is too ugly for you, flashing a pre-rooted image with Odin is literally a 3 click process.

That said, there's barely any reason for your average user to root their phone in the first place. If you need to remove crap apps, use the disable button in the apps menu. And anyone who isn't even willing to take the time to read/search shouldn't be touching ROMs at all. I guarantee they'll come back to the dev thread 5 minutes later asking why facebook keeps crashing or the camera app doesn't work.

What's the best android device to get these days? My last one was a galaxy s2 on at&t and right now im using an iphone 4s but looking to make the switch back.

Galaxy Nexus still make sense? The cheaper the better since I can't get it with a contract (just renewed in August)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
xda is a prime example of something that has the potential to be great but is completely mismanaged. If I could get in touch with all those devs to jump ship, I'd make the process so much easier for everyone involved.

Seriously, the different subforums for each and every phone makes no sense. Just stick Accessories into General and get rid of Apps. And now there are two development forums. Make a clear and consistent installation guide and boom, things are much easier. Too much inconsistency makes it so hard to navigate and find the information that's already all there. It's just scattered all over.

Moving on, fuck that Galaxy S IV thread. 75% of the posts are about the iPhone and not in the perfectly fine "I own an iPhone and want to switch."

I don't even like official threads for specific electronics. Rather just talk about it here. Not saying there shouldn't be one but I'll still be only discussing them here. Just easier.

The fuck lol, unless this is old:

According to The New York Times, The Samsung Galaxy S4 will introduce new eye-tracking technology to allow users to navigate their devices hands-free. The information comes from an unnamed Samsung employee less than two weeks away from the phone’s official unveiling in New York City.

The new functionality would follow on the heels of other advancements such as Smart Stay introduced with the Samsung Galaxy S3, a feature that could detect when a user was actively viewing the screen and thus prevent the display from timing out. Eye-scrolling would monitor a users eyes as they peruse webpages, instantly advancing to the next paragraph as the end of the previous is reached.

The exact technology being uses to accomplish such “smart” scrolling was not disclosed, but like Smart Stay, the front-facing camera is no doubt involved. The function could be core to the Galaxy S4 experience and make for a great demo for Samsung to show off come March 14th.
-verge

kehs

Banned
The fuck lol, unless this is old:

-verge

That's not talking about the "keep screen alive" feature from the GS3.

They're talking eye navigation which is totally fucking awesome, and something people were saying wasn't viable just two years ago when they were showcasing w8 tablets.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
you'd think Samsung would wait until Google debuts a new OS update before releasing a new flagship phone. S3 and S4 will be running the same OS and probably the same skin.

I'm assuming they'll be running a new version of Touchwiz regardless. They're veering pretty far away from stock android as it is, aside from the basic foundation.

you'd think Samsung would wait until Google debuts a new OS update before releasing a new flagship phone. S3 and S4 will be running the same OS and probably the same skin.

i'm pretty sure that just like the Galaxy Note II (2012 BEST GALAXY) launched with Jellybean, their 2013 BEST GALAXY FLAGSHIP GALAXY NOTE III will launch with KLP

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Looks like Twitter is continuing to be a dick and is killing off various versions of Tweetdeck including the Android version.
Over the past few years, we’ve seen a steady trend towards people using TweetDeck on their computers and Twitter on their mobile devices. This trend coincides with an increased investment in Twitter for iPhone and Twitter for Android –– adding photo filters and other editing capabilities, revamping user profiles and enhancing search. That said, we know this applies to most of our users –– not all of them. And for those of you who are inconvenienced by this shift, our sincere apologies.

Additionally, TweetDeck AIR, TweetDeck for Android and TweetDeck for iPhone rely on v1.0 of Twitter’s API, which we are retiring starting this month. Leading up to that retirement, Twitter’s platform team will be performing occasional tests that will affect applications that rely on API v1.0. Over the next two months users of TweetDeck AIR, TweetDeck for Android and TweetDeck for iPhone may experience some outages with those apps before they are removed from their respective app stores in early May.
Web apps suck, native apps are far better and it looks like any 3rd party twitter app that relies on API 1.0 to work will be dead too.

Looks like Twitter is continuing to be a dick and is killing off various versions of Tweetdeck including the Android version.

Web apps suck, native apps are far better and it looks like any 3rd party twitter app that relies on API 1.0 to work will be dead too.

Saw this few hours ago on my feed and laughed.

"@fake_api: Tomorrow's the big day. Make sure you're ready for the API 1.1 switch by deleting all of your third-party apps. Please. Please delete them."

kehs

Banned
does anything beat stable cyanogen if you're using a non-nexus device? the answer is no.

Which is why anybody who hasn't donated to help out one of the CM guys, needs to do so now:

On the internet he is known as @ChiefzReloaded an inspired programmer who builds custom operating system images for Android devices for devoted geeks like myself to play with. He works on Cyanogenmod as a device maintainer who are the biggest names in the game when it comes to Android ROM developers. Ryan Scott who was your average everyday guy with a family during the day and a devoted geek by night is now fighting day after day to stay alive with Necrotizing Fasciitis also known as "The Flesh Eating" Disease. A picture of a portion of his abdomen is posted here. Plagued by a constant infection and non stop hospital trips he is unable to keep up the crippiling finances from the hospital. So much so that it has taken away from his family who also fight to have everday essentials that we all take granted. Food, shelter, warmth and safety.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scott-family-fund

https://plus.google.com/117962666888533781522/posts/ib5wz8jk1Jy

buhdeh

i have yet to use a cyanogen that i classify as stable

This. I had CM10 M2 on my S3 before I sold it and it was buggier than the nightlies that came before and after it.

Love what the team is doing but I'm personally glad I never have to flash another ROM again.

Nothing beats stock for sheeezy. Still waiting for manufacturers to find a way to let you boot into stock android or something as an option for more savvy users. Too bad they don't care :(

EV leaks just dropped the bomb:

S6NZ8CG.jpg

Uw5rwyL.jpg

TTOOLL

Xperia S with CM 10, what can you tell me about it? Recommended buy or not? I know it's a 2012 device, but the price is kind of good now.

evleaks has been spot on lately (re: almost always?) so it should be interesting. The shape corroborates rumours that they're going back to the more S2 look.

Geez, is it bad that I want a smaller phone? I sometimes where pants to work (and slim jeans) where that would bulge like a second dick in my pocket...

The proportions don't seem off, it's just how the picture is set up. If you sat the S3 on top it would probably be just as the rumours say, slightly taller than the S3 maybe ever so slightly wider.

But if there really is no home button then yeah they might be a tad off considering you'd have less bezel for screen down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom