• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who rarely uses widgets. I think I only use the clock/weather one for the weather and quick access to alarms and whatnot. Not really sure why but I haven't found any that have been something I wanted to use often. And I prefer cleaner homescreens.

gcubed

Am I the only one who rarely uses widgets. I think I only use the clock/weather one for the weather and quick access to alarms and whatnot. Not really sure why but I haven't found any that have been something I wanted to use often. And I prefer cleaner homescreens.

I use Calendar, G+, Music and DashClock.

kehs

Banned

I only use a calendar widget on my phone. I have a tv shows widget on my tablet, but I dont even use it, but I'm too lazy to take it out and fill the space.

Yeah when I had the nex7 I filled the screen with a bunch of random widgets I thought I'd use since I don't mind doing it on a tablet. I ended up never using any of them lol.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Pretty much this. The only widget I currently use is the cLock in CM for the weather + alarm. Granted I think I might use more widgets on larger device than my phone. I'm pretty much a one Page user as well. Everything else I just go to the app drawer.

Pretty much this. The only widget I currently use is the cLock in CM for the weather + alarm. Granted I think I might use more widgets on larger device than my phone. I'm pretty much a one Page user as well. Everything else I just go to the app drawer.
I'm like that too. 2 pages max.

buhdeh

i got quite a few but i don't use any live updating ones.

airdroid
pure calendar agenda
4x1 4 day weather forecast (beautiful widgets)
power toggles
tasks

It looks like he got the pictures from Expansys and took the posts on Twitter down.
just saw this post now. I bet someone tipped off evleaks with that and they didn't realize where it was from which explains the quick delete.

Team physical buttons takes a big sigh for relief.

i got quite a few but i don't use any live updating ones.

airdroid
pure calendar agenda
4x1 4 day weather forecast (beautiful widgets)
power toggles
tasks
airdroid is good, I got to get on that.

Futureman

1. Change my password on my Google Account on my computer

2. Android phone pops up warning sign that I need to sign in to my Google account (because I changed the password)

3. Touch the notification, I put my password in and it says I need to sign in on the web

4. Takes me to the web sign in. I sign in. It asks for my 2-Step verification code.

5. I use the app switcher to open Google Authenticator, remember the 6 digit pin and.......

it's at this point that you are screwed. I can't get "back" to the 2-step verification code input screen. When I hit the Android "back" button from Authenticator, it takes me back to step #2 above.

I guess I need to wait until I get home so I can use one of my one-time use codes??

thespot84

2. Android phone pops up warning sign that I need to sign in to my Google account (because I changed the password)

3. Touch the notification, I put my password in and it says I need to sign in on the web

4. Takes me to the web sign in. I sign in. It asks for my 2-Step verification code.

5. I use the app switcher to open Google Authenticator, remember the 6 digit pin and.......

it's at this point that you are screwed. I can't get "back" to the 2-step verification code input screen. When I hit the Android "back" button from Authenticator, it takes me back to step #2 above.

I guess I need to wait until I get home so I can use one of my one-time use codes??

use the app switcher to get back to web sign in from authenticator. It's worked for me.

Also, if you tap and hold the 6 digit code, it'll give you the option to copy it.

kehs

Banned

Yeah, it's probably better if you set up your devices to use unique passwords.

I had to some some gymnastics to get the authenticator timing down so the passcode didn't expire.

Futureman

use the app switcher to get back to web sign in from authenticator. It's worked for me.

Also, if you tap and hold the 6 digit code, it'll give you the option to copy it.

the "web sign in" isn't actually an app, so it doesn't appear in the app switcher for me.

Futureman

Cop, what you mean unique password for your devices? I was only changing my Google Account password and then I just have one Android phone.

anyways I was able to do it. Opened Authenticator, copied the code RIGHT as a new one was refreshed, quickly pull down notification bar to bring up the sign in, quickly hit the 3 dots to go to web sign in, user/pass... then paste Authenticator code.

I JUST made it... so if my user and pass were longer it probably wouldn't have worked.

gcubed

Cop, what you mean unique password for your devices? I was only changing my Google Account password and then I just have one Android phone.

anyways I was able to do it. Opened Authenticator, copied the code RIGHT as a new one was refreshed, quickly pull down notification bar to bring up the sign in, quickly hit the 3 dots to go to web sign in, user/pass... then paste Authenticator code.

I JUST made it... so if my user and pass were longer it probably wouldn't have worked.

i'm assuming he means using an application specific password in your account settings instead of using your PIN

Talon

You can have Google set custom passwords for specific applications through the 2-step authentication web portal.

kehs

Banned

Yeah, same thing I had to do.

The same way you create specific passwords for applications, I do that for my devices, so I don't have to deal with 2 step in case I change the main password. Plus I can kill the password individually.

Fatalah

It's a FAKE!

Yesterday’s Galaxy S4 render was just a placeholder image.

We can all breathe a sigh of relief: the leaked Samsung Galaxy S4 render from yesterday has been exposed as a fake, albeit an unintentional one. The image was designed as a placeholder by the Expansys team to use on GS4 landing page. After finding its way to the usually reliable @evleaks Twitter handle, the image was posted online as a purported first look at the upcoming Samsung flagship’s final design.

Nicktendo86

So I meet up with my brother today and managed to play with his nexus 4, compare with my galaxy nexus. The n4 is such an improvement in every way, and the screen is glorious. How anyone can be a fan of amoled when we have LCD screens that look like that/the iPhone 5/ HTC one v I do not know. Cannot wait to get this phone.

1 page old BRAH.

So I meet up with my brother today and managed to play with his nexus 4, compare with my galaxy nexus. The n4 is such an improvement in every way, and the screen is glorious. How anyone can be a fan of amoled when we have LCD screens that look like that/the iPhone 5/ HTC one v I do not know. Cannot wait to get this phone.
I keep saying this but I don't know how people manage to use a galaxy nexus today. It's just SOOOOO much noticeably worse than any recent smartphone, lol.

Shambles

Sorry if this has been answered before. Is it possible to sync my podcasts between my phone and windows machine so that I can start listening to them on one device, pause, and later finish them on windows at the same point?

kehs

Banned
God damnit, I bought it like three weeks ago for three bucks.

=/

e: Oh wait it's six bucks to unlock it, no biggie.

(everyone should totally get super hexagon, game is awesome and lends it self to just playing minutes at a time)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My new thing is questioning people questioning others. There are too many "Well, why do you need or want that!" from people who cannot fathom why Baskin Robins has 31 flavors. It's ridiculous.

I'm so happy whenever Apple is the pioneer on new tech. At least then I can enjoy the new stuff and not hear nonsense about how it would otherwise be useless.

gcubed

Sorry if this has been answered before. Is it possible to sync my podcasts between my phone and windows machine so that I can start listening to them on one device, pause, and later finish them on windows at the same point?

there is no built in podcast listener on Android that syncs. You would have to use a program that is accessible both on your phone and your computer. Stitcher can be accessed on either, but i'm not 100% sure if they sync between each other

thespot84

God damnit, I bought it like three weeks ago for three bucks.

=/

e: Oh wait it's six bucks to unlock it, no biggie.

(everyone should totally get super hexagon, game is awesome and lends it self to just playing minutes at a time)

second for super hexagon. frustratingly awesome

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't been paying attention to Android for a long time. I have a Galaxy SII that is running Andoird version 4.0.4. I thought that Jelly Bean was to be released for the SII but nothing comes up when I check for updates through the phone or Kies.

Advice?

buhdeh

why in god's name is the facebook app still so bad?
- network errors galore
- slow and LAGGY ass animations even on a Nexus 4
- ugly frankenstein iOS design
- LEGACY MENU BUTTON (come on)
- pull to refresh that doesn't even update likes or comments

while i'm at it, how can a simple IM app like facebook messenger be equally as bad?
- the sliding contact list is ridiculously choppy and laggy
- pull to refresh in an IM app is the dumbest thing I've ever seen
- so, so many graphical glitches and bugs

fsdklajfhejtwetq

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I haven't been paying attention to Android for a long time. I have a Galaxy SII that is running Andoird version 4.0.4. I thought that Jelly Bean was to be released for the SII but nothing comes up when I check for updates through the phone or Kies.

Advice?

Head to XDA and root your phone, install a custom recovery, and load up the newest supported version of CyanogenMod. Join the CM crew!

kehs

Banned
I knew I wasn't crazy. Those threads lately are interesting.

I gotta say just a few minutes into using opera....and its already blowing chrome away.

Get your game together Google. I don't really care about account related stuff on my tablet because I have everything else accessible on apps.

I just noticed there's no easily accessible back button. Odd.

Very cool, when you do a long scroll you get a button pop up that will take you to top or bottom.

tino

Banned
Question, I have a Galaxy Note running 4.0.x, what do I need to get a wireless mouse working with the phone browser? Do I just buy a bt mouse?

AnkitT

After a couple of days with android, I'm quite satisfied with it. Apps which follow holo guidelines are real pretty, and I'm not really seeing the need to root and install a ROM yet. Is there a twitter client with an in-app browser?

Akito

After a couple of days with android, I'm quite satisfied with it. Apps which follow holo guidelines are real pretty, and I'm not really seeing the need to root and install a ROM yet. Is there a twitter client with an in-app browser?
I'm using Tweetcaster, it's great.

kehs

Banned
Why did you never buy a 900 brot?

-----

android-versions-chart.png

Gingerbread will never die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom