• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new white UI gives me hope that they improved the messaging app as well for the the new touchwiz. But yeah that shit is still veering off from stock.

I realize we are all tech enthusiasts if we are spending our free time on a videogame message board talking about cell phones, but come on....
what come on? It's worse. I'm not saying you can't be satisfied with it, but there are some people who still act like it isn't noticably much worse than other phones. Like any recent phone really.

mturco

what come on? It's worse. I'm not saying you can't be satisfied with it, but there are some people who still act like it isn't noticably much worse than other phones. Like any recent phone really.

Yeah I don't see how you could deny that it's worse. It does feel sluggish at times, especially compared to even last gen flapship phones (One X, GS3). I'm still using my GNexus because I was holding out for the Nexus 4 until they never came out with a Verizon version (let alone one with LTE). Plus, I can't stand how huge all high end phones are now. I'd like something physically smaller than the GNexus. If they can increase the screen size and still make it smaller, great.

Yeah I don't see how you could deny that it's worse. I'm still using my GNexus because I was holding out for the Nexus 4 until they never came out with a Verizon version (let alone one with LTE). Plus, I can't stand how huge all high end phones are now. I'd like something physically smaller than the GNexus. If they can increase the screen size and still make it smaller, great.
when you do decide to upgrade, a massive one it willllll be. You should look into getting a xperia ZL somehow. If that's even possible for you. 5 inch phone that is pretty small dimensions wise.

mturco

when you do decide to upgrade, a massive one it willllll be.

Haha yep. Can't wait. I just hope the next Nexus is of a decent size and comes to Verizon somehow. I would leave Verizon to get it otherwise, but it would have to not be huge. Size is basically the most important thing for me because I know it's going to be several times better than what I've got in every way.

Edit: ZL probably isn't coming to Verizon. I should just switch. I do like the form factor, though.

tino

Banned
Yeah I don't see how you could deny that it's worse. It does feel sluggish at times, especially compared to even last gen flapship phones (One X, GS3). I'm still using my GNexus because I was holding out for the Nexus 4 until they never came out with a Verizon version (let alone one with LTE). Plus, I can't stand how huge all high end phones are now. I'd like something physically smaller than the GNexus. If they can increase the screen size and still make it smaller, great.

My friend has been using LG dumb phone for all these years, he is going to upgrade straight to Galaxy S4 haha.

gcubed

besides battery life, i have 0 complaints about using my galaxy nexus every single day.

So, i do have a complaint about the Play Store in relation to humble bundles. Google needs to offer code's for downloads like Steam. The worst part of the humble bundle is that you don't get automatic upgrades from the store since you side load the games. Its the main thing that puts me off of most of them (unless they are amazing)

Haha yep. Can't wait. I just hope the next Nexus is of a decent size and comes to Verizon somehow. I would leave Verizon to get it otherwise, but it would have to not be huge. Size is basically the most important thing for me because I know it's going to be several times better than what I've got in every way.

Edit: ZL probably isn't coming to Verizon. I should just switch. I do like the form factor, though.
yeah the dimensions are smaller than just about every modern android phone. It's pretty nuts how the front is almost all screen. But yeah the US is weird. You have to buy it off contract there I think? Not sure.

My friend has been using LG dumb phone for all these years, he is going to upgrade straight to Galaxy S4 haha.
he might die from shock

mturco

Yeah that'll be insane for him haha.

besides battery life, i have 0 complaints about using my galaxy nexus every single day.
Battery life is pretty awful but don't use any smartphone from 2012/2013 if you want to continue not having a problem with how fast the GNexus is. It's most noticeable when you switch between apps or hit back repeatedly. The framerate drops immediately and you sometimes miss the whole animation.

yeah the dimensions are smaller than just about every modern android phone. It's pretty nuts how the front is almost all screen. But yeah the US is weird. You have to buy it off contract there I think? Not sure.
Yep, I'd have to buy it off contract and then activate it on AT&T/TMobile or a prepaid carrier.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

Yeah, it's gonna be sold unlocked here. 3 colors!

DrFunk

Screen-Shot-2013-03-05-at-7.09.21-PM-253x500.png

Because you were on sale, T-Mobile

http://www.slashgear.com/t-mobile-responding-to-att-with-newspaper-ad-campaign-06272795/

Oh wait was it mentioned that the white background on the new touchwiz might mean they aren't using amoled on the new S4 and might use LCD like the previous rumours suggested. Could be possible. Just hoping it's like the HtC One LCD. That is the fucking heatttt.

I could easily be reaching on that speculation though.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Head to XDA and root your phone, install a custom recovery, and load up the newest supported version of CyanogenMod. Join the CM crew!

What kind of features can I get with CyanogenMod?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Depends on just what version you can install on your device. You'll get access to things such as stock ROM look, AOSP Browser, DSP Manager, File Manager, Root Access etc... on both the ICS and JB ROMs. If you can get a JB ROM though you'll get the extra JB features like Google Now and the new lock screen setup.

Cyanogen is what all the cool kids use! :p

ScOULaris

Gingerbread = Windows XP
ICS = Windows Vista
Jellybean 4.1 = Windows 7
Jellybean 4.2 = Windows 8

The similarities are almost scary.

Yup. I agree wholeheartedly.

Gingerbread/XP - Stable, solid, integrates important features that would become standard.
ICS/Vista - A new, modern look with some performance sacrifices as a result.
4.1/Windows 7 - Same modern look with refinements and significant performance enhancements
4.2/Windows 8 - The same, deep down, but with some superfluous elements pasted on top (Win8 start menu and lockscreen widgets)

Vanillalite

Except ICS performed better than Gingerbread and the whole Metro UI is a much bigger interface change than just adding some lock screen widgets.

ScOULaris

Except ICS performed better than Gingerbread and the whole Metro UI is a much bigger interface change than just adding some lock screen widgets.

The lockscreen widgets/start menu comparison is apt, IMO. The introduction of lockscreen widgets made the lockscreen take longer to load and it became slightly less responsive as a result. The same can be said about the Windows 8 start menu in that it takes longer than the old, simpler menu did to get to what you need.

And both can't be disabled without using "unofficial" methods.

so i installed DAT M2 BUILD on my old Epic 4G and it's amazing how snappy it is for an almost 3 year old handset.

Oh wait was it mentioned that the white background on the new touchwiz might mean they aren't using amoled on the new S4 and might use LCD like the previous rumours suggested. Could be possible. Just hoping it's like the HtC One LCD. That is the fucking heatttt.

I could easily be reaching on that speculation though.

i was gonna mention that.

kinggroin

Banned
The lockscreen widgets/start menu comparison is apt, IMO. The introduction of lockscreen widgets made the lockscreen take longer to load and it became slightly less responsive as a result. The same can be said about the Windows 8 start menu in that it takes longer than the old, simpler menu did to get to what you need.

And both can't be disabled without using "unofficial" methods.

That's all well and good but Gingerbread is a fuckton slower than ICS. Vista comparisons aside.

mturco

Biggest feature is just always running the latest version of stock Android. Otherwise it just gives you a ton of customization options for the launcher, status bar, lock screen, etc.

Yup. I agree wholeheartedly.

Gingerbread/XP - Stable, solid, integrates important features that would become standard.
ICS/Vista - A new, modern look with some performance sacrifices as a result.
4.1/Windows 7 - Same modern look with refinements and significant performance enhancements
4.2/Windows 8 - The same, deep down, but with some superfluous elements pasted on top (Win8 start menu and lockscreen widgets)
Yeah, pretty much. 4.2/Windows 8 comparison might be a bit harsh, though. 4.2 just has a couple weird UI changes. Windows 8 is a messy combination of two platforms.

Vanillalite

so i installed DAT M2 BUILD on my old Epic 4G and it's amazing how snappy it is for an almost 3 year old handset.

i was gonna mention that.

I'm surprised on how many older phone models have the M2 build available to install. I figured CM10 would be the last stop for a lot of these old models. Kudos to the community to getting so many devices with CM 10.1 builds available.

Threi

notag
Windows 8 isn't metro though. You don't really have to use it if you don't want to. The only real area where you have to is the start menu, which is where my comparison comes from. I compare it to the 4.2 clock, in that its a change nobody really asked for, has the potential to be better than the old iteration (see: dashclock), but is strangely implemented.

The ICS/Vista comparison is from the fact that both were a complete rework under the hood, and as such both had a bit of a shaky start due to app/driver compatibility, and marked a point where a lot of devices got left behind. ("will my device get ICS?!?!")

gcubed

Windows 8 isn't metro though. You don't really have to use it if you don't want to. The only real area where you have to is the start menu, which is where my comparison comes from. I compare it to the 4.2 clock, in that its a change nobody really asked for, has the potential to be better than the old iteration (see: dashclock), but is strangely implemented.

i'm hoping dash clock gets rolled into the standard lock screen clock in KLP.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Rooted my S2 and I'm making a backup now. If I use CyanogenMod can I use this backup at all?

daoster

While Battery Life is the only complaint I have too, with my Galaxy Nexus, it is the BIGGEST pain in the ass for me and is a major problem for me =\.

jokkir

Through CWM. I just hit 'Create a new Backup' from the menu.

Oh, CWM just creates an entire backup of your phone. The OS, data of apps, everything. If you just want the apps to be backed up and restored when you install a new OS, use Titanium backup. You can also backup your SMS through this.

Just remember not to backup/restore system apps and only backup/restore user apps as they might cause instability when restoring the data

While Battery Life is the only complaint I have too, with my Galaxy Nexus, it is the BIGGEST pain in the ass for me and is a major problem for me =\.

Did you see if any wild apps are causing it? Get BetterBatteryStats and see if anything is waking up your phone and draining the battery

Pctx

Banned
Gonna switch back to CM at M3, AOKP on my Gnex just isn't what it used to be.

Unfortunately, AOKP has sucked Unicorn dick since they got into multiple spats with people who were unofficial people porting the AOKP source to different handsets. CM is really the only serious ROM to use if you're going custom.

Vanillalite

Unfortunately, AOKP has sucked Unicorn dick since they got into multiple spats with people who were unofficial people porting the AOKP source to different handsets. CM is really the only serious ROM to use if you're going custom.

As I said before Paranoid still has it's uses.

Hey I've posted nothing but positive things about the One since it was announced. Still not my kind of device. But it's not as bad as it could have been.

DrFunk

The One is a lovely device, I was surprised honestly. And those who get one better be happy, because that's all HTC is pushing out this year, lol

Vanillalite

So I'm finally trying out Air Droid. This shit is the business!!!

Two thumbs up whomever posted about this a page or so ago.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
So I'm finally trying out Air Droid. This shit is the business!!!

Two thumbs up whomever posted about this a page or so ago.

If you are not running it already, I suggest trying out the Airdroid V2 Beta.

You can get it directly from them, it will replace your current Airdroid installation.

http://airdroid.com/invite/airdroid_v2.apk

Some details on what is changed in this version, http://liliputing.com/2013/01/airdr...-device-now-with-camera-location-support.html

Vanillalite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom