• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Why did you never buy a 900 brot?

-----

android-versions-chart.png

Gingerbread will never die.

This is partly why the Opera team stated in their blog post they were making the new Opera available for 2.3 and up. They said there was still such a sizable chunk on Gingerbread that they wanted to make that the base.

Hey at least it's better than all the Froyo based stuff.

PS: My main gripe about the new Opera is the tap to zoom could be much better. It just doesn't zoom in like I'd really like it to.

kehs

Banned
This is partly why the Opera team stated in their blog post they were making the new Opera available for 2.3 and up. They said there was still such a sizable chunk on Gingerbread that they wanted to make that the base.

Hey at least it's better than all the Froyo based stuff.

PS: My main gripe about the new Opera is the tap to zoom could be much better. It just doesn't zoom in like I'd really like it to.

I'm not sure what magic the Opera team is doing but this app is one of the fastest loading smoothest running apps on my tablet right now. Maybe it has to do with them targeting gingerbread era hardware so it runs super smooth on today's stuff.

Haven't been bothered with zooming too much, then again most of the sites I visit are home dont really require it.

Vanillalite

What's funny is it's directly based on Chromium, and yet it shits all over Google's Mobile version of Chrome. I mean they've said point black the current Beta is based on the mobile version that Google just pushed to stable in Chrome 25. Yet one sucks and the other well doesn't.

PS: Wish Opera had a desktop beta to try out as well. I want to see how them switching desktop wise will be.

kehs

Banned
Yup, its crazy how much better it is and its still only beta.

If the desktop version is just as good I'm switching back, I need my mouse gestures. I'm sorely missing them.

------

What's the easiest way to add track skipping to a rooted device without a different ROM?

Vanillalite

Yup, its crazy how much better it is and its still only beta.

If the desktop version is just as good I'm switching back, I need my mouse gestures. I'm sorely missing them.

------

What's the easiest way to add track skipping to a rooted device without a different ROM?

What do you mean by track skipping and what ROM are you on?

kehs

Banned
Err...I meant track skipping through volume controls. I'm still on stock ROM and will be when my n4 come in tomm. Don't feel like messing around with ROMs, but need the track skipping so I don't die while driving.

Vanillalite

Err...I meant track skipping through volume controls. I'm still on stock ROM and will be when my n4 come in tomm. Don't feel like messing around with ROMs, but need the track skipping so I don't die while driving.

Pretty sure PowerAMP has this built in. You tap to change volume up and down. You hold to change tracks.

tino

Banned

You can get GMD gesture control and assign global 4 finger swipe to skip track.

Vanillalite

people keep saying ICS was the first version of Android where it was awesome.

i present this chart as evidence that most people feel Gingerbread was good enough.

Eh a big part of that was Gingerbread was just a small step and it took so long for ICS. So that means you have all of the Froyo based phones on Gingerbread as well as a ton of Gingerbread based phones. It's only natural that it would still be a large slice of the pie. Your basically talking most phones sold pre 2012 are all Gingerbread based since most companies stopped at that point for older devices.

kehs

Banned
Bitches are crazy, gingerbread introduced c2dm, VoIP support, NFC, chrome to phone, and dark notification bar.

Shit was cray cray for its time and its still unmatched.

Threi

notag
Gingerbread = Windows XP
ICS = Windows Vista
Jellybean 4.1 = Windows 7
Jellybean 4.2 = Windows 8

The similarities are almost scary.

Talon

Gingerbread = Windows XP
ICS = Windows Vista
Jellybean 4.1 = Windows 7
Jellybean 4.2 = Windows 8

The similarities are almost scary.
Kick. Punch.
It's all in your mind.

But seriously, this doesn't make any sense. Windows 7 to Windows 8 was a complete rethinking of the UI. 4.2 is an incremental upgrade with a strange clock decision.

W1SSY

So last week I was trying to flash the newest CM on my HTC One X and after booting the first time the phone shut off. I rebooted and it did the same thing but after that it would not turn on. Tried everything I could find to fix it and after hours of trying to find a solution I threw in the towel and ordered the Nexus 4.

I got the Nexus 4 yesterday and like it more than the One X. I think part of the reason is stock Android. As much fun as I have had flashing roms on not only my One X and Captivate before it, just having the piece of mind knowing Google is going to update the roms and I don't have to worry about putting some third party rom on it is great.

I still plan on tinkering with the One X but I think it is a lost cause. It won't turn on, I can't get into recovery, and it doesn't indicate that it is charging when plugged in.

Threi

notag
Kick. Punch.
It's all in your mind.

But seriously, this doesn't make any sense. Windows 7 to Windows 8 was a complete rethinking of the UI. 4.2 is an incremental upgrade with a strange clock decision.

That's exactly the conclusion i've come to regarding Windows 8 though; its a minor incremental upgrade over windows 7 with some strange extra stuff that nobody understands or asked for.

Yea but the GN only had like a two upgrades path....

It's still more "future proof" than the Lumia and I was never a big fan of the Lumia to begin with. It's a big, bulky version of the smaller, less capable 800. Both are kinda bad. My LG crapped out on me in July (I think), getting another Windows Phone at that time would've absolutely stupid, iOS didn't interest me at all, so Android was the only option left. When that was clear, I had to pick between the Xperia S and the Galaxy Nexus. Beautiful design vs typical Samsung boredom trash. Shitty software vs more smooth and slightly less shitty software. lolwhat vs updates. I still remember how zomgwtfbbq tried to convince me and pick up the Sony product.

I opted for the Galaxy Nexus and regret it ever since.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
^
UPDATE: We have just found out that these images are actually from the Android 4.2.1 leaked firmware for Galaxy S III and we were given the wrong information by the tipper. Though, The Galaxy S IV will indeed have these features as confirmed by our insider.

Pretty cool stuff though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Who moves their head when reading on a phone?

I keep saying this but I don't know how people manage to use a galaxy nexus today. It's just SOOOOO much noticeably worse than any recent smartphone, lol.
I don't know what this means. The main things I look for are: no lag, access to all apps, great internet speed, clean visual style.

The Galaxy Nexus excels in these for me. If I wasn't a tech hog, and looking forward to the X phone or the next LTE Nexus, I'd use it for another year or two.

Nicktendo86

I don't know what this means. The main things I look for are: no lag, access to all apps, great internet speed, clean visual style.

The Galaxy Nexus excels in these for me. If I wasn't a tech hog, and looking forward to the X phone or the next LTE Nexus, I'd use it for another year or two.

The screen is terrible, especially compared to a Nexus 4 as you can compare the same OS, wallpaper etc.

The screen is terrible, especially compared to a Nexus 4 as you can compare the same OS, wallpaper etc.
I don't know what the screen is terrible means. I'm not trying to be coy or anything. It looks great to me. Playing games looks great. Watching HD YouTube looks great. I dunno.

I guess I should mention I'm not an audiophile or videophile or anything. I went a whole generation with just the Wii. I listen to mp3s that are probably considered low bitrate.

Nicktendo86

I don't know what the screen is terrible means. I'm not trying to be coy or anything. It looks great to me. Playing games looks great. Watching HD YouTube looks great. I dunno.

I guess I should mention I'm not an audiophile or videophile or anything. I went a whole generation with just the Wii. I listen to mp3s that are probably considered low bitrate.

You are probably right, I am very picky about things. The AMOLED screen gets burnt in very easily and has a grainy look to it. The colours are also oversaturated and unnatural. I have rooted and changed my gamma settings to make it look more natural but is still not perfect.

Futureman

I keep saying this but I don't know how people manage to use a galaxy nexus today. It's just SOOOOO much noticeably worse than any recent smartphone, lol.

I realize we are all tech enthusiasts if we are spending our free time on a videogame message board talking about cell phones, but come on....

TheTowel

I almost like the screen on the galaxy nexus. Reminds me of playing my dreamcast.

Edit: sticking with the hideous icons I see.

kinggroin

Banned
There are better phones than the GN today.

Not a single one that has compelled me to drop the out-of-contract price for one however. So until my contract is up, KLP is released, and the new Nexus unveiled; the screen is sharp enough, the speed is fast enough, the OS is smooth enough, and the design sexy enough to keep me satisfied.

Nexus Galaxy is
second
best galaxy.

mturco

Real S4 screenshots leaked:

If you look at the "4G" logo at the top, you can tell that this is from the ATT version

Wow that is unbelievably hideous. Look at all those useless status bar icons. You can only fit 5 notifications on there before you run out of space. Terrible. Samsung is ruining Android.

Angst

Wow that is unbelievably hideous. Look at all those useless status bar icons. You can only fit 5 notifications on there before you run out of space. Terrible. Samsung is ruining Android.

Most of the icons can probably be turned off. I hope...

buhdeh

Menus look slightly better than S3 but still quite hideous overall. The icons in the status bar were always a big WTF.

gcubed

poor google. I'd be nervous too if that's what people think of as the face of android

Its useful if I want to browse gaf at work and want my management think I am working on excel.

or he may think you have some kind of nervous tick and are a bit unstable, and will leave you alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom