• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

mturco

The main thing HTC has going for it is that they (and maybe Sony) are the only ones even trying as far as aesthetics go. Samsung, LG, Motorola, and everyone else keep putting out uninspired, boring designs. Samsung's even going the wrong way in my opinion. The S2 was more attractive than the S3.

vivftp

Hmm, anyone have any comments on the rumour going about that the upcoming Sony 6.44" phablet will have a 2560x1600 display? If true then holy hell I'm gonna get that!

Anyone around these parts able to confirm or deny this rumour?

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I actually just saw this!

Is the v2 beta that much better than the initial software?

It does have new features and some fixes over the previous version.

I have been running it for a while and I have not had any issues.

A nice feature of V2 is that the device authentication method is faster due to the change in the login process.

jey_16

Banned
I'm thinking about getting HTC One for some reason, Xperia Z doesn't excite me and I'm expecting more plastic from Samsung for the S4 which I don't want.

The only other option would be this Google/Motorola X phone but no idea when this is coming out and I'm skeptical on it getting LTE support here in Australia.

GAF, what should I do? Current phone is a S2 running CM10 and the battery is dying rapidly

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Yeah I went ahead and installed v2. Seemed more stable than v1 though I only spent like 5 mins with the 1st version.

On another note it is the next day and I'm still using Opera as my main browser.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm thinking about getting HTC One for some reason, Xperia Z doesn't excite me and I'm expecting more plastic from Samsung for the S4 which I don't want.

The only other option would be this Google/Motorola X phone but no idea when this is coming out and I'm skeptical on it getting LTE support here in Australia.

GAF, what should I do? Current phone is a S2 running CM10 and the battery is dying rapidly

The HTC One is hardly going to be a bad phone spec wise. You might want to see if you can wait for the GS4 to launch even if you don't want that device. The GS4 launch should put pressure on other phones and you might see some price drops or sales.

Also there is always the option of just ordering a Nexus 4.

mturco

that's the reason they aren't getting it. They want to maintain their Droid line. So instead of the One they're going to get some black and red Droid DNA+.
Oh gotcha. Seems like they do that year after year. I remember when they turned down the Nexus One because it was too similar to the HTC Droid Incredible. I don't see why they don't just get the HTC One and call it the Droid One or something.

Any hope of Verizon getting another Nexus? Or am I going to have to choose between LTE and stock experience?

The stock experience is increasingly shit while OEM skinning gets better and better. I don't know why people even want the stock experience anymore. I left a Gnex for my Note II on Verizon and I couldn't be happier with the switch I made.

Do you really need LTE?

Once you've had LTE, it's difficult to imagine what your life was like before when you didn't have it. It is that amazing.

jey_16

Banned
The stock experience is increasingly shit while OEM skinning gets better and better. I don't know why people even want the stock experience anymore. I left a Gnex for my Note II on Verizon and I couldn't be happier with the switch I made.

Once you've had LTE, it's difficult to imagine what your life was like before when you didn't have it. It is that amazing.

i was skeptical about LTE until i actually used it, now my next phone has to have it which kind of rules out the Nexus 4. Google would have to include it for the X phone though right?

Nicktendo86

What kind of features can I get with CyanogenMod?

I know others have answered this but here is my penny's worth:

CM is stock android with a few mods and extras. The features I personally love and use are;

Built in notification led controls, can customise colours and pulse speed

Mark texts as read or quick reply from the notification draw

Ability to set quiet hours

Can add shortcuts to the lock screen, by default you just have a little unlock icon, You can add another 4, any apps you want

Launcher customisation, for example can change app labels, grid size etc

Shake and flip options for the alarm, for example I can shake my phone to tell it to snooze

Added functionality to the calculator and a calculator widget

Status bar mods, can change the battery icon for example from a useless blue block to a beautiful circle with battery percentage

Nav bar mods, can change the nav buttons to what you want

Phone stats, it tells me in the phone app how often I have called people but also the percentage they have called me or I have called them

You can use the volume buttons to move the curser as you type, very handy

You can use the volume buttons to wake the phone rather than the power button

The time disappears in the status bar if you have a clock widget on your lock screen to avoid time duplication, I love this

CM generally runs smoother, faster and with a better battery life. There are loads more but these are just the features I use and love.

Edit: forgot to add, unlike most roms CM has OTA updates, no need to manually go into recovery to flash an update.

reKon

Banned
I know others have answered this but here is my penny's worth:

CM is stock android with a few mods and extras. The features I personally love and use are;

Built in notification led controls, can customise colours and pulse speed

Mark texts as read or quick reply from the notification draw

Ability to set quiet hours

Can add shortcuts to the lock screen, by default you just have a little unlock icon, You can add another 4, any apps you want

Launcher customisation, for example can change app labels, grid size etc

Shake and flip options for the alarm, for example I can shake my phone to tell it to snooze

Added functionality to the calculator and a calculator widget

Status bar mods, can change the battery icon for example from a useless blue block to a beautiful circle with battery percentage

Nav bar mods, can change the nav buttons to what you want

Phone stats, it tells me in the phone app how often I have called people but also the percentage they have called me or I have called them

You can use the volume buttons to move the curser as you type, very handy

You can use the volume buttons to wake the phone rather than the power button

The time disappears in the status bar if you have a clock widget on your lock screen to avoid time duplication, I love this

CM generally runs smoother, faster and with a better battery life. There are loads more but these are just the features I use and love.

Edit: forgot to add, unlike most roms CM has OTA updates, no need to manually go into recovery to flash an update.

For me switching tracks with the volume rocker when the screens off is a must. I wish they would just bake that into key lime pie.

tino

Banned
....what? x2

You can change themes, change the launcher and change the colors.

That's why I don't use CM anymore. I have to do change myself again, might as well do it on a rooted official rom with 3rd party apps.

The only thing I get from CM that I don't get from the official rom is more space in the notification screen.

despire

Is this the place to get help in your Android problems?

I updated my GS2 with the Android 4.1.2 some time ago but it started eating away my battery so fast that I had to do a factory reset today to get rid of the problem. I had my Google syncing and back-up things running and I did a full back up with Kies. I thought I was ready and everything was set.

After resetting the phone and getting all things and apps up and running again I noticed that my calendar was empty. Apparently all my calendar markings were on my "Own calendar" or whatever it is and none of it was syncing with the Google Calendar. Also Kies apparently didn't either back it up or won't restore it properly because I'm missing all my calendar markings even after restoring it specifically a few times with Kies.

So halp please! I'd like to get my calendar markings back without having to it all manually again (hoping to remember all)...

kinggroin

Banned
Do you really need LTE?

I used 19GB of data last month, mostly to download steam games and once to stream a 1080p HD film we rented on VUDU. Yeah, I need it.

Also, Unknown Solider, I can't fucking stand touch wiz. I hate having a home button, and the solution to that usually means aosp, which from my time with an s3 and note II, is never as behaving as it is on the GN.

The stock Google, clean canvas-y feeling of aosp just works for me. I usually don't add more apps than what comes with.

What do you dislike about it?
I still don't like Sense but they did fix a couple things. Also HTC phones don't usually have as good dev support as something like the galaxy line. I'm really really not a fan of having to double tap any capacitive buttons, they're also very slow with updates, I also dislike the tiny LED notification thing they have going on.

A lot of these complaints are kind of small though, most importantly though is battery. I'm sure it won't be bad, not evne close, but for my next phone I'm looking for a lot. 2500mah or bust. That's why I'm considering the S4 since it's rumoured to have 2600mah minimum. But yeah like I said, the One turned out better than I thought it would regarding Sense. Aside from Blinkfeed not being removable which is weird as hell, they've improved sense in a lot of ways it seems.

gcubed

What!? Link to story about this?

http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/0...oes-with-stock-google-apps-instead-changelog/

gone is motocast integration, motoactv, moto branded email, moto music, moto gallery

Motorola has decided to remove the Social Location app, MotoActv, MotoPrint, Alarm and Timer (replaced by stock Google Clock), and Verizon Video on Demand. They also killed off the My Gallery and My Music apps in favor of the stock Android Gallery app and Google Music. MotoCast is no longer integrated into anything on the device, including the Files app. It’s now a stand alone app (it has been enhanced to be much more powerful). They also killed all of sorts of widgets that you likely weren’t using anyway, as they were tied to many of these now-deceased apps.

mturco

Any hope of Verizon getting another Nexus? Or am I going to have to choose between LTE and stock experience?
No kidding. Google needs to get serious about it and make a deal with them. Selling the N4 off contract for cheap was/is cool, but there are a ton of Verizon/Sprint customers they are missing out on.

Name one regression stock Android has ever made other than arguably the 4.2 lockscreen. Stock Android has gotten better every single version. OEMs customize things for the sake of differentiation for the most part. Samsung does at some useful features, but I think most of them are rather gimmicky. The main reason they won't sell stock Android is that they don't want to compete with just hardware.

I have. Many times. CM is such an ugly rom.
... it's just Android. Other than the boot animation, it's pretty much identical to stock Android...

gcubed

You don't need Verizon for that. You can get an ATT or, later this year, Tmobile unlocked phone and run it on LTE. No need to stay with a shit CDMA carrier for LTE

thats one way to rationalize your ugly skin

Pctx

Banned
http://www.droid-life.com/2013/03/0...oes-with-stock-google-apps-instead-changelog/

gone is motocast integration, motoactv, moto branded email, moto music, moto gallery

ron-paul.gif

reKon

Banned
That's why I don't use CM anymore. I have to do change myself again, might as well do it on a rooted official rom with 3rd party apps.

The only thing I get from CM that I don't get from the official rom is more space in the notification screen.

You also don't have to change a thing and it still looks beautiful. All that added functionality, smoothness, and stability is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom