• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doopliss

Is this the place to get help in your Android problems?

I updated my GS2 with the Android 4.1.2 some time ago but it started eating away my battery so fast that I had to do a factory reset today to get rid of the problem. I had my Google syncing and back-up things running and I did a full back up with Kies. I thought I was ready and everything was set.

After resetting the phone and getting all things and apps up and running again I noticed that my calendar was empty. Apparently all my calendar markings were on my "Own calendar" or whatever it is and none of it was syncing with the Google Calendar. Also Kies apparently didn't either back it up or won't restore it properly because I'm missing all my calendar markings even after restoring it specifically a few times with Kies.

So halp please! I'd like to get my calendar markings back without having to it all manually again (hoping to remember all)...
You could try to find the folder where Kies stores the backup on your PC, the calendar might be saved as an XML file or something else you could read. But I think the chances are that your calendar is gone. Just make sure your calendar and contacts are synced to your Google account so it doesn't happen again in the future, and don't rely on Kies for anything.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Except better.

I don't get it, unless you mean functionally. But visually, it literally looks like stock. I don't see any visual difference.

jokkir

I don't get it, unless you mean functionally. But visually, it literally looks like stock. I don't see any visual difference.

I think in 10.1, when Google moved the day and month on to one row and removing the year, CM fixed it by putting the day and month on separate rows.

My memory might be hazy since I haven't used stock in a while.

Cipherr

The stock experience is increasingly shit while OEM skinning gets better and better. I don't know why people even want the stock experience anymore. I left a Gnex for my Note II on Verizon and I couldn't be happier with the switch I made.

The fuck outta here with that. Hyperbole to the highest degree. You may dislike a lockscreen clock font, or you may not make use of lockscreen widgets, but thats a long journey from making the stock experience "shit". And to then imply that its 'increasingly' shit, as if to say that it has been getting worse since the likes of Gingerbread is unequivocally false and you know it.

I love some of the software some of the OEM's have added. I'm very vocal about it. But you are being ridiculous here. For every neat feature like Smart Stay, there's an equally shitty experience like S-Voice and Security issues with lockscreens being bypassed. And don't even get me started on the rest, for Christs sake, your phone is on Verizon of all carriers. So your 'Skin' is automatically screwed and unable to run general software like GWallet and the like because of it.

OEM skins have their benefits, but so does vanilla Android. Its ok to be happy about your new phone, but don't get ridiculous, it would not be very hard at all to bring you back down to earth swiftly with the benefits of real Vanilla Android versus skinned OEM versions.

[Posted from my REAL Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.2, you've probably never heard of it.]

Just used the HTC One. It's an impressive device for sure. Sense is still a piece of shit. Don't believe the lies about it being better. Still resource hungry and adds little to the overall Android experience other than some WP8 styling.

Tested the camera as well. It performs poorly in normal outdoor conditions, but better than the ZL in poor light and indoors. In all scenarios other than poor lighting, the ZL was better, and in poor light it was about the same with a 13MP -> 4MP resample on Photoshop.

Nicktendo86

That's why I don't use CM anymore. I have to do change myself again, might as well do it on a rooted official rom with 3rd party apps.

The only thing I get from CM that I don't get from the official rom is more space in the notification screen.
I just.... I'm speechless. My list of cm features I posted earlier alone make me love cm, it also looks exactly like stock but better (the time and date in the notification draw and making then time disappear when you have a lock screen clock widget are two examples)

reKon

Banned
tino has to be trolling... it looks exactly like fucking stock if you don't change anything. Also, the Cid mascot isn't even used in the boot animation anymore..

Nicktendo86

tino has to be trolling... it looks exactly like fucking stock if you don't change anything. Also, the Cid mascot isn't even used in the boot animation anymore..
I know, the new animation is really nice. I've so changed it got the nexus animation though...

kehs

Banned

cid is gone? I can contemplate using their roms again.

(is the n4 stable?)

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone point me in the direction of 10.1 M2 download and a guide on how to do this? Thanks.

buhdeh

The fuck outta here with that. Hyperbole to the highest degree. You may dislike a lockscreen clock font, or you may not make use of lockscreen widgets, but thats a long journey from making the stock experience "shit". And to then imply that its 'increasingly' shit, as if to say that it has been getting worse since the likes of Gingerbread is unequivocally false and you know it.

I love some of the software some of the OEM's have added. I'm very vocal about it. But you are being ridiculous here. For every neat feature like Smart Stay, there's an equally shitty experience like S-Voice and Security issues with lockscreens being bypassed. And don't even get me started on the rest, for Christs sake, your phone is on Verizon of all carriers. So your 'Skin' is automatically screwed and unable to run general software like GWallet and the like because of it.

OEM skins have their benefits, but so does vanilla Android. Its ok to be happy about your new phone, but don't get ridiculous, it would not be very hard at all to bring you back down to earth swiftly with the benefits of real Vanilla Android versus skinned OEM versions.

[Posted from my REAL Galaxy Nexus running 4.2.2, you've probably never heard of it.]

Some people just love dat teal gradient. If TouchWiz were as polished as stock in terms of visual aesthetic and user experience, no one would complain. I personally didn't find a single feature Samsung added to be useful. Hell, most of them are half assed or WORSEN the experience. For example, S-Voice causes your home button to lag if enabled. So bad. Even some of their motion features are useless because they were only ever designed to work with Samsung's stock apps. The skin itself is poorly developed.. the copy & paste crash bug on the S3 still exists!!!

I honestly don't think Samsung will ever have the capacity or interest to develop something visually appealing. And as a former S3 user, I can confidently say I'm much happier giving up LTE just to have better software.

SimleuqiR

But nod your head and you can change pages!

No.gif

tino

Banned

I don't like the look of stock either. Just so you know I am consistent.

I liked CM up to when ICS was released, after that I think it has evolved slower than rest of the customer ROMs and I don't care for most of its new features. (There features are good but not the best from the customization world so you end up not using most of its features.)

For example, not enough power toggles options for the notification screen and hard to mod them.

I don't like the black theme either. I don't think you can make everything black and call it a style. Its not. I mean it saves power for amoled screens but its not a style. This is google's fault mostly. What make CM worse is that all the addition introduce inconsistent visual cue. At lease google try to make new icons consistent for new versions of android.

Pctx

Banned
I don't like the look of stock either. Just so you know I am consistent.

I liked CM up to when ICS was released, after that I think it has evolved slower than rest of the customer ROMs and I don't care for most of its new features. (There features are good but not the best from the customization world so you end up not using most of its features.)

For example, not enough power toggles options for the notification screen and hard to mod them.

I don't like the black theme either. I don't think you can make everything black and call it a style. Its not. I mean it saves power for amoled screens but its not a style. This is google's fault mostly. What make CM worse is that all the addition introduce inconsistent visual cue. At lease google try to make new icons consistent for new versions of android.

So enough hate towards Tino.... what the hell are you running on your phone?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So enough hate towards Tino.... what the hell are you running on your phone?

I'm wondering that as well. Unless you are running a customized version of the stock ROM for your device I'm scratching my head here. AOKP, Paranoid, and CM all basically share a base and use the same visual ques so it couldn't be any of them.

I really am wondering here.

tino

Banned
I'm wondering that as well. Unless you are running a customized version of the stock ROM for your device I'm scratching my head here. AOKP, Paranoid, and CM all basically share a base and use the same visual ques so it couldn't be any of them.

I really am wondering here.

I only have one tablet running CM. When I have time I have run through its interface and explain to you why I don't like it. (Mostly are aesthetic, I just don't like the black theme.)

Pctx

Banned
I only have one tablet running CM. When I have time I have run through its interface and explain to you why I don't like it. (Mostly are aesthetic, I just don't like the black theme.)

Time to theme it then or go AOKP for that.

Vanillalite

That still doesn't tell us what ROM you are running instead! :p

You guys are hilarious. You want to peer pressure me into thinking CM is good looking?

No, it's larger than that. We're trying to stop you falling off a large cliff with a whole lot of insanity at the bottom. Right now it's like watching a car crash. half fascinating, half horrifying.

mturco

Wait, so isn't it more that you just don't like how Android looks? You say you don't like the "black theme", but that's just ICS/JB, right? I'm confused why you keep mentioning CM specifically.

Is there a reason why notification toggles doesn't work with Spotify anymore? I know I got it to work once, but I think it stopped working after updating to 4.2.

tino

Banned
Wait, so isn't it more that you just don't like how Android looks? You say you don't like the "black theme", but that's just ICS/JB, right? I'm confused why you keep mentioning CM specifically.

CM is the rom you can get on almost every device. I have never bothered with a AOSP rom so I can't comment on which part of CM is stock which part is CM. I have however flashed CM on almost every android device I have so I can comment on it.

Vanillalite

Is there a reason why notification toggles doesn't work with Spotify anymore? I know I got it to work once, but I think it stopped working after updating to 4.2.

What do you mean by toggles? I still get a notification when the song changes on 4.2.2.

mturco

CM is the rom you can get on almost every device. I have never bothered with a AOSP rom so I can't comment on which part of CM is stock which part is CM. I have however flashed CM on almost every android device I have so I can comment on it.

Ohh ok I see. CM is an AOSP rom btw.

But yeah, they don't mess with the appearance at all. Essentially, you don't like Holo, which is definitely a minority opinion. Even most of the iPhone owners I know think Holo is great, or at least miles better than GB.

Pctx

Banned
No, it's larger than that. We're trying to stop you falling off a large cliff with a whole lot of insanity at the bottom. Right now it's like watching a car crash. half fascinating, half horrifying.
I laughed really good after this post. Oh lord. Anyways....

Loving or hating stock Android is one thing that I can't wrap my brain stems around. Most phone manufactures would be doing the end users a favor by sticking with stock but alas they don't.

tino

Banned
GO Launcher.

...oh lawd

The decision to use Go Launcher was based on ease of use of the theme creation kit and how portable was the theme, not based on the feature of the launcher. Most launchers have 80% functionality overlapped.

Ahahahahaha...really? Really? Are you actually being serious here? All I see in the Galaxy Nexus thread are complaints about how 4.2.x fucked things up. All the files got moved around for a multiple users feature that the phone doesn't even have (it's for the Nexus 10), many bugs were introduced, the lock screen clock got uglier, and nothing even remotely interesting was added. A sideloading malware scanner which misses 80% of malware, and half-assed notification toggles which are worse than what TouchWiz has had for years? And you're going to try and bullshit me and claim stock is still better? I still HAVE my "fake" Verizon Gnex and there is a leaked 4.2.2 ROM for it and I could even install it if I give a fuck. Which I don't. Even if I still had my "fake" Gnex activated on Verizon's 100% REAL LTE network I would actually prefer to stay on 4.1.1 and not upgrade to 4.2.2. The person who needs to be swiftly brought down to earth is you, because stock Android 4.2.x is actually pretty shitty and that's why people recommend CyanogenMod to rescue it from shit status but maintain the stock look and feel with many useful features which are entirely missing from stock.

Fatalah

Never used this gif before, but things are getting heated in here.

XujHL.gif

Earnestly awaiting more Android stuff to talk about.

PaulLFC

Will Google Music correct sync differences between it and iTunes, or do I need to sort it out manually?

If a CD has two discs and shows as two separate albums in iTunes I usually change the info to combine them into one album - but Google Music has uploaded them as two separate albums as it was running before I had chance to change the info.

Milchjon

The HTC One is really nice in person. Shame about those scratched edges from day one, though.

Also, looking at the Xperia Z's screen, I still miss AMOLED. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have explosive colours and deep blacks, even if it means Pentile and lower PPI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom