• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

You're weird, get out.

alligator-tears.gif

kehs

Banned
The HTC One is really nice in person. Shame about those scratched edges from day one, though.

Also, looking at the Xperia Z's screen, I still miss AMOLED. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have explosive colours and deep blacks, even if it means Pentile and lower PPI.

Brofist.

Samoled colors and blacks still reign over PPI.

Milchjon

Real Correct Color >>>>>>>>>>> Fake Color

Correct Color = SLCD

Fake Color = SAMOLED

∴

SLCD >>>>>>>>>> SAMOLED

better color=better color. I don't care if it's "real", most visual representations of the world are in some way altered.

I'm always disappointed by all those fancy screens when looking at new phones.

Thanks for teaching me a weird new sign

jokkir

F*** more accurate color. I'm not doing anything artistic on my phone and I just want more vibrant colors (albeit more saturated). YEAAHHH!

The PPI is appealing though.

mturco

The only good thing about AMOLED is the black levels. Other than that, a well calibrated LCD looks way better. See the iPhone 5 / HTC One X display. If they could get dark blacks on an LCD it'd be all over.

tino

Banned
Will Google Music correct sync differences between it and iTunes, or do I need to sort it out manually?

If a CD has two discs and shows as two separate albums in iTunes I usually change the info to combine them into one album - but Google Music has uploaded them as two separate albums as it was running before I had chance to change the info.

You can fix it easily on music.google.com

kehs

Banned
I will say, I do enjoy the fact I can actually use my screen outside now.

That's probably just three years of screen difference rather than samoled vs lcd.

zedge

The HTC One is really nice in person. Shame about those scratched edges from day one, though.

Also, looking at the Xperia Z's screen, I still miss AMOLED. I may be in the minority, but I'd rather have explosive colours and deep blacks, even if it means Pentile and lower PPI.
Lol...premium materials... please. No scratches on my plastic phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Speaking of all the bitching (and cray cray AMOLED people) we have new rumors...

Droid-Life

According to the newest leaks from inside sources at Samsung, the Galaxy S4 may by shying away from their traditional AMOLED displays. Instead, sources state that Samsung is to incorporate a Green PHOLED display in their next flagship device. PHOLED stands for phosphorescent organic light-emitting diode, which works on the basis that organic materials give off their own light when an electric current is applied. As for “Green PHOLED,” it is reported that these new displays can save power consumption up to 25%, using a type of yellow-green color combination.

To top it off, wouldn’t it be nice not to have to touch that gorgeous display? Apparently, Samsung is also going to introduce some type of floating touch software, which will work to turn your finger into an S-Pen of sorts. Much like an S-Pen, say you were in your device’s gallery and instead of tapping on a folder of pictures and videos to open and view them, you could simple hover your finger above the folder and be shown previews for each file inside. The applications for such a feature go way beyond that, but you get the idea.

This phone is going to be unveiled next week in NYC on Thursday. Finally.

There are many prototypes of the Galaxy S IV, so it’s really difficult to get the exact specifications of the device. For example, prototype A uses Exynos Octa with Full HD GreenPHOLED / AMOLED display and prototype B uses SuperLCD3 with Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 etc…

that's pretty interesting.

but a 25% more efficient amoled display sounds nice.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Getting pretty sick and tired of having to factory reset the phone so that pictures and videos show up in Gallery. Great fucking job Google.

Or

I have 22 photos transferred. 11 of them show up and 11 don't. What the fuck.

What a fucking clown show Google.

buhdeh

Getting pretty sick and tired of having to factory reset the phone so that pictures and videos show up in Gallery. Great fucking job Google.

Or

Every picture that I take or download shows up in my gallery app. I don't understand what the problem is. Are you putting them into some hidden folder?

jokkir

Or

Just wipe cache or data from the Gallery and wait for a bit until it builds up the database again.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Every picture that I take or download shows up in my gallery app. I don't understand what the problem is. Are you putting them into some hidden folder?

I create a folder within Pictures using ES File Explorer, I connect my Nexus 4 using AirDroid and I transfer the files over. Either half the pictures don't show up or none of them do.

Movies are another mess. If I try to organize them within a folder like Movies and within Movies I make a folder named Home Videos then Gallery fucks up again. God forbid I make a folder in Movies or Pictures then move a file into that folder as it disappears.

This is the second time in 2 days. I've tried to clear cache/data, enable/disable, install/uninstall all apps. Only thing that works is a factory reset. This is on 4.2.2.

Just wipe cache or data from the Gallery and wait for a bit until it builds up the database again.

I've waited over night.

kehs

Banned
I create a folder within Pictures using ES File Explorer, I connect my Nexus 4 using AirDroid and I transfer the files over. Either half the pictures don't show up or none of them do.

Movies are another mess. If I try to organize them within a folder like Movies and within Movies I make a folder named Home Videos then Gallery fucks up again. God forbid I make a folder in Movies or Pictures then move a file into that folder as it disappears.

This is the second time in 2 days. I've tried to clear cache/data, enable/disable, install/uninstall all apps. Only thing that works is a factory reset. This is on 4.2.2.

I've waited over night.

Try not creating subfolders inside of Movies/Pictures, those are kinda sorta semi special folders because of MTP. Create your others folders on the same level as them, those shouldn't have a problem with subfolders.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Try not creating subfolders inside of Movies/Pictures, those are kinda sorta semi special folders because of MTP. Create your others folders on the same level as them, those shouldn't have a problem with subfolders.

So instead of making them within Movies and Pictures I should just put them in the "Root". I'll give it a try.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
oh seriously folks, come the fuck on.

Samsung is doing what they think many people what they want, hyperreal color saturated displays by default. but wait, there's more! they also offer a selection of color modes, yes, it is a thing. and it's good.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6452_7-10014320-2.html

http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-57540240-85/screens-test-part-2-galaxy-note-2-vs-apple-iphone-5/

so when you talk about how blown out the colors are, remember, it's all about calibration.

Even calibrated the iPhone 5 has the better looking screen, and beyond that I think the DNA screen is even better than iPhone 5 screen.

Even calibrated the iPhone 5 has the better looking screen, and beyond that I think the DNA screen is even better than iPhone 5 screen.
yep. I mean amoled isn't ugly but it's not the dream screen some people make it out as. The SLCD3 is fucking beautiful. People act like it sucks in comparison to amoled and that just isn't true.

And by people I mean people in comments sections and forums, because most reviewers agree that the HTC phones usually look the most impressive.

buhdeh

Strange. I use Pictures\Wallpaper and put like 20 images in there and they all show up. I created the folder using AirDroid though. You don't have a .nomedia file in there, do you?

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
The folders yea, like MyMovies/MyPictures or whatever. Mediaserver on android is kinda balls.

No luck.

I'm going to Factory Reset again and make the Folders within Root before I transfer anything.

Strange. I use PicturesWallpaper and put like 20 images in there and they all show up. I created the folder using AirDroid though. You don't have a .nomedia file in there, do you?

Nope. I don't.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Never even heard of that issue.

Jesus christ HTC:

According to sources inside Taiwan’s manufacturing industry HTC is having difficulty sourcing enough components to keep up with production of their HTC One flagship. The result could spell worldwide delays for the handset pegged to launch next week.

Also read on XDA that O2 customers pre-orders got delayed from march 15th to 29th in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom