• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

popeutlal

How's $427 for a new Samsung S3 (Verizon version)? I want to buy the phone off contract, I'm guessing S4 will probably be upwards up to $600, that's out of my price range.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I think I figured it out because of you guys! Thank you so much. So turns out that there was a nomedia file on the root for some reason.

Thank you so much guys!!!

Edit- you guys are amazing!

catmincer

I'm thinking of grabbing an Acer Iconia B1-A71 tablet.

Specs are

-Android Jelly Bean operating system
- Mediatek dual-core 1.2GHz processor (MTK 8317T)
-7-inch diagonal WSVGA capacitive multitouch screen with 1,024 x 600 resolution display
-8GB(1) of internal storage
-Wireless connectivity:
-Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
-Bluetooth® wireless technology 4.0
-GPS
-3.5mm headset/headphone/microphone jack
-internal speaker
-microSD™ expansion slot with up to 32GB support
-front-facing 0.3-megapixel webcam
-Rechargeable 2,710 mAh battery
-micro-USB (charging and PC connect) with USB 2.0
-Dimensions: 197.4 mm x 128.5 mm x 11.3 mm
-Weight: 320 g

It's a good $120 cheaper than a Nexus 7 here in New Zealand. I'd be using it for browsing and light gaming. Worth it?

Even calibrated the iPhone 5 has the better looking screen, and beyond that I think the DNA screen is even better than iPhone 5 screen.

did you click the links?

How's $427 for a new Samsung S3 (Verizon version)? I want to buy the phone off contract, I'm guessing S4 will probably be upwards up to $600, that's out of my price range.

$427? is it real? can you test it in person?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think I figured it out because of you guys! Thank you so much. So turns out that there was a nomedia file on the root for some reason.

Now apologize to Google.

buhdeh

Hahaha, told ya! (though I was off on the directory location)

Direct Quote from the 2nd link...
So in terms of the characteristics I measured, is the iPhone 5 better than the adjusted Note 2? Yes

there's a comma after "Yes"

, but only slightly. The Note 2's overwhelming contrast advantage, especially in dimmer lighting, is trumped in my book by the iPhone's overwhelming light output advantage, making the iPhone 5 the more versatile screen (the ability to effectively combat ambient light is more important in a phone than in a TV, for example). Color is much closer than before, but the iPhone still gets a slight edge.
context.

tino

Banned
I really don't care about the color accuracy of the screen. I don't use my phone to edit photo. Actually I do. But the cropping function of CS6 is so powerful I rather deal with the trouble of carrying a netbook for photo editing.

I will pay extra for a large 1080p screen because I want to win dick waving contest with my coworkers. But I rather have a 5-6 inch 16:10 screen. Too bad no phone is doing it anymore.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Anybody have trouble finding ATMs in Google Maps? Anytime I search it brings me to a warehouse management company in Birmingham.

I have a question: I know people complain a lot about restoring from Titanium Backup. I personally have not had problems with it, but I only use it for apps and not system data. Should I be using Carbon instead?

still though you have to admit there are a lot of people who are all amoled or bust as if it's somehow better than other screens? When it's not really in a lot of ways.

SLCD3 or AMOLED, either way it will look amazing but there are a lot who will bitch if it's SLCD3. And I won't be one of them. Both hot as fuck is the bottom line.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Figured out what the cause of the issue was.

The CinemaNow app causes the .nomedia file to be created every time a notification pops telling you that a movie is ready to watch.

I really don't care about the color accuracy of the screen. I don't use my phone to edit photo. Actually I do. But the cropping function of CS6 is so powerful I rather deal with the trouble of carrying a netbook for photo editing.

I will pay extra for a large 1080p screen because I want to win dick waving contest with my coworkers. But I rather have a 5-6 inch 16:10 screen. Too bad no phone is doing it anymore.
even if you did care, the difference is slight!

I have a question: I know people complain a lot about restoring from Titanium Backup. I personally have not had problems with it, but I only use it for apps and not system data. Should I be using Carbon instead?
restoring system data is the cause of like 99% of people's issues. i've been using it, and restored data across different roms and even different devices, and had one problem so far... and it was when i restored data for Google+ and automatic uploads would fail to wotk but clearing data and signing in normally made it work fine.

still though you have to admit there are a lot of people who are all amoled or bust as if it's somehow better than other screens? When it's not really in a lot of ways.

SLCD3 or AMOLED, either way it will look amazing but there are a lot who will bitch if it's SLCD3. And I won't be one of them. Both hot as fuck is the bottom line.
just like there are people who bitch about it being AMOLED and saying all AMOLED screens are blown out like Jeanna Fine.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
What the hell? What a weird thing to do.

Yup. I went through all my apps one by one. When using CinemaNow and you select a movie to download for offline use a notification pops up saying your movie is ready to watch. I got the notification and went to the root and saw the .nomedia file there. Deleted then tried again and the file appeared again.

Edit- Actually any download related notification triggers the .nomedia file creation.

Edit 2- It doesn't seem to do it when turning off Notifications under Settings, Apps.

Edit 3- NVM. Turning off notifications does fuck all. What a terrible app.

That was a fun headache. Fucking clownshoes over at CinemaNow.

buhdeh

Yeah the way .nomedia works and how media files are handled in general is one of the things that makes it hard to recommend Android to normal people.

When I used Volksempfanger as my podcast app, my podcasts would keep showing up in Google Music. I literally had to delete and re-create the .nomedia file with Solid Explorer every time I downloaded a new podcast to get them out of there. Fortunately, this doesn't happen with Pocket Casts.

But for a problem like yours, I could see it being near impossible to figure out what's causing it and why factory resets aren't even helping (I don't think they wipe your root directory)

tino

Banned
Yup. I went through all my apps one by one. When using CinemaNow and you select a movie to download for offline use a notification pops up saying your movie is ready to watch. I got the notification and went to the root and saw the .nomedia file there. Deleted then tried again and the file appeared again.

Edit- Actually any download related notification triggers the .nomedia file creation.

Edit 2- It doesn't seem to do it when turning off Notifications under Settings, Apps.

Are you telling me CinemaNow download the movie file to SD root? Seem like a bug to me. Better yet nuke the app.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
Are you telling me CinemaNow download the movie file to SD root? Seem like a bug to me. Better yet nuke the app.

No CinemaNow downloads the movie into it's own folder but creates the .nomedia file outside of it here:

KzKFFCC.png

Cipherr

I nearly cried laughing reading this post. Wow.

tino

Banned
I knew they had to be gaffers.

The only nasty review I left was Triple Town. It overheat the phone so much the phone reboot 4 times in an afternoon. I had to underclock to play the game. And they have the balls to charge 4 dollars for the full game. If the price was 2 dollar I wouldn't throw a fit.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
I always try to leave reviews for the smaller devs and only leave really negative ones for fuck ups like CinemaNow.

Cipherr

Damn, who was it here that first said they had heard Googlerola was planning on debuting a phone with some form of touch input on the backside of the phone?

6a0168e68320b0970c017c376d441f970b.jpg

Patent. Brings a little clarity to all the "Your device shouldn't just break when you drop it" stuff that they were saying a short time back. If there's going to be back of the phone controls, that means less or no cases, but instead: Bumpers.

HKp_xHnAX4JOxppxll2ovpnBj0Dr0tAMvzYO-gOkTZQJRn6I8h2DlyoEQ6Tw6h6tGw=w705

I know that patents don't ever really give a clear idea of how the final implementation turns out to work, but man, I'm really curious about when we will see this and how it will work and what it will do. Assuming it ever makes it into a device.

Doopliss

Damn, who was it here that first said they had heard Googlerola was planning on debuting a phone with some form of touch input on the backside of the phone?

http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/6a0168e68320b0970c017c376d441f970b.jpg

Patent. Brings a little clarity to all the "Your device shouldn't just break when you drop it" stuff that they were saying a short time back. If there's going to be back of the phone controls, that means less or no cases, but instead: Bumpers.

https://lh5.ggpht.com/HKp_xHnAX4JOxppxll2ovpnBj0Dr0tAMvzYO-gOkTZQJRn6I8h2DlyoEQ6Tw6h6tGw=w705

I know that patents don't ever really give a clear idea of how the final implementation turns out to work, but man, I'm really curious about when we will see this and how it will work and what it will do. Assuming it ever makes it into a device.
Looks almost as pointless as Samsung's S-Scroll-by-tilting-your-head™.

I'm okay with the S4 being LCD, because I'm waiting for the Note III anyways. That phone better have the 1080p Super AMOLED RGB goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom