• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
What's the go to browser of choice here? I'm currently using the new Opera beta and it's fairly impressive.

AOSP > Opera Beta > Dolphin (with Jetpack) > Chrome Beta

If your using the old Opera, Chrome Stable, or FF might as well switch to one of the top. Right now I'm still trying out the Opera Beta with the AOSP browser as my default back up. Before then I was basically AOSP except when an update for another browser hit just to see if they had raised their game.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
4.2.1 is out for the TF300 but Asus hasn't put it up on their site for people that unlocked -_-

apparently it has a new launcher

fml

mturco

I'm just glad they seem to be actively working on Chrome now. Before the beta they'd go months without putting out any updates.

Blackhead

Redarse
Someone mentioned Habit Browser a while back and it's not bad at all (lots of good features, decent UI but poor aesthetics). But yeah the best is ICS Browser+ on Android 4.0.x and AOSP Browser on 4.1.x. It's a shame that Google introduced annoying bugs for AOSP on 4.2.x and didn't even include it on the Nexus 4, 7 and 10. Chrome is beyond shit.

Pctx

Banned
Damn, who was it here that first said they had heard Googlerola was planning on debuting a phone with some form of touch input on the backside of the phone?

6a0168e68320b0970c017c376d441f970b.jpg

Patent. Brings a little clarity to all the "Your device shouldn't just break when you drop it" stuff that they were saying a short time back. If there's going to be back of the phone controls, that means less or no cases, but instead: Bumpers.

HKp_xHnAX4JOxppxll2ovpnBj0Dr0tAMvzYO-gOkTZQJRn6I8h2DlyoEQ6Tw6h6tGw=w705

I know that patents don't ever really give a clear idea of how the final implementation turns out to work, but man, I'm really curious about when we will see this and how it will work and what it will do. Assuming it ever makes it into a device.

Touch and NFC are part of the X phone like no other. :)

DonMigs85

Chrome instantly freezes up on my phone, can't even start typing a URL.
I like Dolphin Jetpack but I heard it can drain the battery pretty fast, so I have Firefox and Boat Browser for backup.

Motorola doesn't make interesting or good enough products for me, or anyone else for that matter, to really care. They're a bit like LG, but without the recent success.

Yup. Moto = shit. Google should just shut it down, or sell it off with an unlimited licence to the patents.

Blackhead

Redarse
Motorola doesn't make interesting or good enough products for me, or anyone else for that matter, to really care. They're a bit like LG, but without the recent success.

They make (made?) interesting products:
  • Razr Maxx- amazing battery life so you don't have to worry about usage during the day anymore
  • Atrix - webtop, lapdock etc. what the Chromebooks should be.
  • Motoactv - smart 'watch', exercise and health monitor, music player etc. what the iWatch will be.
They might not be good products but they are certainly interesting.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
One thing I'll say about Moto is they have the best stock phone for battery life in the Maxx line. Obviously you can try and buy a 3rd party battery for other phones, but the Maxx line definitely wins in terms of battery life with the stock battery.

One thing I'll say about Moto is they have the best stock phone for battery life in the Maxx line. Obviously you can try and buy a 3rd party battery for other phones, but the Maxx line definitely wins in terms of battery life with the stock battery.
yeah the battery is pretty much the only positive they have going imo. Maxx is some thick shit though, not REALLY thick but the thing is THICK. But even the Razr HD has great battery life at 2500mah way before everyone else did, and other manufacturers still aren't on that.

Which is why the rumoured minimum of 2600mah excites me for the S4.

Maxx is thick? wtf that shit is crazy slim for it's battery size.
for the battery size it's definitely impressive but the shit is still thick. But like I said not very thick or anything but it's noticeably bulky. Not that it matters, I'd happily take thicker if it meant better battery life on other phones.

Blackhead

Redarse
for the battery size it's definitely impressive but the shit is still thick. But like I said not very thick or anything but it's noticeably bulky. Not that it matters, I'd happily take thicker if it meant better battery life on other phones.

The Maxx is 9mm at its thickest point. The S3 is 8.6mm and the NoteII is 9.4mm thick. What exactly are you complaining about now?

mturco

IDK who it's being left behind by considering it's still the fastest browser out there. It's still easily the fastest browser when running CM 10.1 on my phone.

He means by Google. They stopped developing the AOSP browser because they are replacing it with Chrome in the future. I think it's probably a good thing too, because it's only a matter of time before they make Chrome just as good. I mean why would they not be able to do it? AND now you've actually got the Chrome dev team working on the browser instead of just Android devs so they obviously know what they're doing.

The Maxx is 9mm at its thickest point. The S3 is 8.6mm and the NoteII is 9.4mm thick. What exactly are you complaining about now?
have you held it? It's the shape of it. Similar to the lumia 920 (though it is factually thicker), but the shape makes it seem worse. It feels pretty bulky.

And I'm not complaining at all. You guys are defensive lol.

I'm not alone. From the verge review, and this is the razr HD...not even the maxx:

...the RAZR HD is a big device that really pushes the limits of what we consider a "phone." While other large phones, like HTC’s One X or Samsung’s Galaxy S III, employ rounded corners and minimal borders around their displays to mask their large size, the RAZR HD’s squarish design and large bezel makes it feel bigger than the competition.

Whatever it is, it feels big is my point. And I'll say it again, I don't even mind. If that's the tradeoff it's one I would do happily. Just noting it.

Blackhead

Redarse
He means by Google. They stopped developing the AOSP browser because they are replacing it with Chrome in the future. I think it's probably a good thing too, because it's only a matter of time before they make Chrome just as good. I mean why would they not be able to do it? AND now you've actually got the Chrome dev team working on the browser instead of just Android devs so they obviously know what they're doing.
I'm not sure if you can assume that the Chrome dev team obviously know what they are doing, the Android devs have been working with their mobile browser longer after all. The Nexus 10 shipped with a crippling Chrome bug that caused crashes every 15 mins (or it seemed). And I don't mean it just crashed the browser -- it crashed the whole OS and forced a reboot.

The AOSP browser also had active third party development. Not just from Samsung, Sony etc who skinned it for their phones but from developers in the Play store like the icS Browser + which I linked to earlier. Is Chromium for Android similarly accessible? I haven't seen anything like that yet...

that said, if Google added quick controls to the Chrome browser tomorrow I would switch to it immediately.

have you held it? It's the shape of it. Similar to the lumia 920 (though it is factually thicker), but the shape makes it seem worse. It feels pretty bulky.

And I'm not complaining at all. You guys are defensive lol.

I'm not alone. From the verge review, and this is the razr HD...not even the maxx:
From the gsmarena review, and this the razr maxx... you know what we're all taking about before you tried to move the goalposts:

Motorola achieved the unthinkable with the RAZR MAXX. A 9mm body, which is slim even by today's [August 24, 2012] modern standards, fits a battery that dwarfs all others.

There's no goal posts. I'm not playing word games here. I just meant it feels big when you hold it. It's natural for the human psyche to attribute that feeling to thickness. Seriously. So I chose the wrong word. The outcome is the same. It's some hefty feeling shit.

Doopliss

The AOSP Browser uses a regular WebView to display pages, which has and will continue to receive updates.

I meant feature wise, it still has the best thing I've ever seen in a mobile browser (quick controls). That said I honestly can't find a perfect alternative yet. Dolphin is good but it's not good for one handed use.

zedge

I think its more how it feels in hand. The s3 hides its size very well with the rounded corners and sloped sides. The razr feels larger due to its square corners and sides. Thats my experience anyway. I found the razr uncomfortable to hold and use to be honest. Great build quality though.

mturco

I'm not sure if you can assume that the Chrome dev team obviously know what they are doing, the Android devs have been working with their mobile browser longer after all. The Nexus 10 shipped with a crippling Chrome bug that caused crashes every 15 mins (or it seemed). And I don't mean it just crashed the browser -- it crashed the whole OS and forced a reboot.

The AOSP browser also had active third party development. Not just from Samsung, Sony etc who skinned it for their phones but from developers in the Play store like the icS Browser + which I linked to earlier. Is Chromium for Android similarly accessible? I haven't seen anything like that yet...

that said, if Google added quick controls to the Chrome browser tomorrow I would switch to it immediately.

That's a good point. The Chrome team definitely knows how to build a browser is what I meant but, yeah, maybe they aren't optimizing it as well for Android as the Android guys did for the AOSP browser. Chrome has gotten so much better in the last few months though that I'm sure they'll eventually figure it out.

Also I've had a Nexus 10 since it came out and I've never had Chrome crash the OS. In fact I don't really even remember Chrome itself crashing. It does have some strange issues though. And I have no idea why Google came up with the awesome idea for quick controls and then just completely abandoned it and never used it again. Bizarre. Then again, it's Google.

B3ASTMODE

Whenever I click on a YouTube link on my nexus4 it takes me to YouTube's browser page instead of launching the app itself. Is there a way for me to set it up so that the app is launched over the webpage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom