• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

zedge

Whenever I click on a YouTube link on my nexus4 it takes me to YouTube's browser page instead of launching the app itself. Is there a way for me to set it up so that the app is launched over the webpage?
Reset the default app in applications.

mturco

Whenever I click on a YouTube link on my nexus4 it takes me to YouTube's browser page instead of launching the app itself. Is there a way for me to set it up so that the app is launched over the webpage?

It should have asked you the first time you clicked on a YouTube link how you wanted to open it. But if you go to the settings, go into Chrome (or whatever browser you use) and clear the defaults for it, it should ask you again next time you click on a YouTube link.

Hey, my ASUS TF300 updated to 4.2, but I can't do photosphere still. What am I doing wrong? I only have the option for normal and panorama in my camera app.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Hey, my ASUS TF300 updated to 4.2, but I can't do photosphere still. What am I doing wrong? I only have the option for normal and panorama in my camera app.

Asus didn't add it in because they're idiots.

The Tf300 has a gyroscope so it's no reason why they forgot to include it.

Maybe it'll come later in one of the bi-weekly updates.

Android Central just got an HTC One. Here are the initial thoughts:

Know that startup noise you get when turning on a phone for the first time? The HTC One just about blows you away. That's the first sign of how good these speakers are.

It's going to take a little used to reaching to the top left to turn the power off and on. That's user error, though. Not the phone's fault.

I'm pretty quickly digging the new font in Sense 5.

Damn, it feels good in the hand.

Super LCD 3 display -- should be on every smartphone.

This is a European version, so no AT&T LTE, but HSPA works just fine.

If you're worried about BlinkFeed getting in the way of a more standard Android experience, don't be. One quick swipe and you're at the usual home screen.

Speaking of BlinkFeed, I quickly get the feeling that the key is going to be not overloading it with feeds. Find what's really important and stick with it.

Still not sold on the home button being in the bottom right, but figuring it out for Google Now and multitasking is simple enough.

I've yet to try to tap the HTC logo. But that's because I'm consciously reminding myself that it's not a button.

Wondering how long it takes me to scratch up the aluminum body.

Gotta go play with that camera now.

Google Now Topics

Google Now has a cool feature that shows useful results for the topics you've recently explored using Google Search. Now you can find all the topics if you visit this page.
google-now-topics-1.jpg

kehs

Banned
The color shifting on my n4 is really bugging me. The N7 screen is far better in that regard. Hell, not even the n1 screen color shift bugs me as much.

Dammed LCD screens.

Heh, I just realized in the current Chrome Beta, the back button takes you through previous zoom levels on a page before going back in browser history. It's kinda useful, I guess, but we'll see if it gets annoying after extended use.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So AT&T finally pushed the JB update for the One X(L) last week. Not that I really care because I've already moved onto CyanogenMod. That being said the update did come with new radios which I finally took the time to flash tonight. It hasn't been long enough to comment on if I get better signal or if LTE speed has improved at all yet.

So I got my hands on an HTC One today and I think I'm sold.

My HTC rep came in with what he called a European preproduction model. Looks the same as all the screenshots and seems to be fully working. However he states that the Android version on the device was 4.1.2 but here in Canada we'll see it released with Android 4.2. I gotta say, it's probably the sexiest looking cellphone I've ever held, and I've pretty much held them all. For me a 5" screen is too big. So seeing this 4.7" screen really seemed like a better fit. Especially seeing how damned close the screen is to the edge of the phone.

Some points from my 20 mins with the phone are:

Great looking screen, but with a bit too much hint of blue, same as what the Optimus G suffered from, but I'm sure an app could calibrate that.

Very fast as you'd expect nowadays. Even during fast scrolls of the new main screen feed. However that feed takes up most of the main page, so people will probably turn it off, especially if they prefer a more minimalistic look.

Perfect weight for a phone. Not too light like the iPhone 5, and definitely better than the muscle building Nokia 920.

Pictures looked great. Zoe was a cool idea, especially the very quick way off converting your pics and 3 second video to a short movie. You can select different preprogrammed songs to change the speed of the pictures and short videos changing. Didn't see if you could put your own music into it. Didn't get to check out its low light capabilities in our bright store, and I tried to ignore his over-hyping of the 4 ultra pixel blurb, but it took pictures very quickly.

He demo'd the new IR remote feature, which finds your model of TV or whatnot by the old school way of guesswork. You put in the manufacturer and then keep pressing the "turn on TV" button until it gets the right code. I also didn't see a way of integrating multiple components at once into a single button press. So it certainly won't replace my Harmony One, but software could change all that.

Not sure about the home button being on the bottom right instead of the middle, but I could get used to it.

Anyway, if anyone has questions I might have the answers. Didn't spend too long with it, but its a hell of a phone so far, and so god damned nice looking in person. I'm probably going into sell my 4s and get this as a replacement.

I have a Nexus 4 now and I want to get a phone plan. The $30/Month 100Minute Talk/Unlimited Text and Data seems very appealing.

I can get more calls using Viber.

Can anyone help me? I am tired of using my iPhone 3G for calls!

Vanillalite

I have a Nexus 4 now and I want to get a phone plan. The $30/Month 100Minute Talk/Unlimited Text and Data seems very appealing.

I can get more calls using Viber.

Can anyone help me? I am tired of using my iPhone 3G for calls!

Are you in the US or somewhere else in the world?

My buddy in the US with a Nexus 4 got on the Straight Talk $45 unlimited everything deal. He got to pick between T-Mo and AT&T piggybacking, and he went with AT&T. So far he has no qualms (lives in Philly).

Motorola doesn't make interesting or good enough products for me, or anyone else for that matter, to really care. They're a bit like LG, but without the recent success.

The difference is that LG devices are available on more than one carrier in one country in the whole world. I still don't know how Motorola became Verizon's pet bitch but if Google wants to turn them around they'd better start making phones that work everywhere in the world again and which are sold everywhere too.

I think its more how it feels in hand. The s3 hides its size very well with the rounded corners and sloped sides. The razr feels larger due to its square corners and sides. Thats my experience anyway. I found the razr uncomfortable to hold and use to be honest. Great build quality though.

The DROID RAZR HD MAXX ULTRA XT KEVLAR EXTREME EDITION GTX has a lot of bezel which makes it much wider than it needs to be. If it had less bezel it would probably be easier to hold. My Note II is easier to for me to hold in my hand than a DROID RAZR HD MAXX ULTRA XT KEVLAR EXTREME EDITION GTX even though it has a much larger screen, because the Note II actually seems like it was designed to be held by human hands instead of cyborg ones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
We have this same song and dance every year with HTC. They supposedly make a great phone, new resurgence, Sense is great. Then a few months later, everyone hates the phone. It's the Sonic Cycle applied to HTC.

Vanillalite

We have this same song and dance every year with HTC. They supposedly make a great phone, new resurgence, Sense is great. Then a few months later, everyone hates the phone. It's the Sonic Cycle applied to HTC.

Since I don't need a ton of space so I don't need an SD Cart Slot I'm still extremely happy with my One XL running CM from last year. Haters be damned, and this screen is still ZOMG AMAZAEYEBALLS!

zedge

The difference is that LG devices are available on more than one carrier in one country in the whole world. I still don't know how Motorola became Verizon's pet bitch but if Google wants to turn them around they'd better start making phones that work everywhere in the world again and which are sold everywhere too.

The DROID RAZR HD MAXX ULTRA XT KEVLAR EXTREME EDITION GTX has a lot of bezel which makes it much wider than it needs to be. If it had less bezel it would probably be easier to hold. My Note II is easier to for me to hold in my hand than a DROID RAZR HD MAXX ULTRA XT KEVLAR EXTREME EDITION GTX even though it has a much larger screen, because the Note II actually seems like it was designed to be held by human hands instead of cyborg ones.
:lol Designed for humans. Truth.

HTC = Fucked

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_might_get_delayed_due_to_components_shortage-news-5667.php

"Industrial sources suggest HTC is having a bad time with the HTC One flagship manufacturing. The latest reports claim HTC is capable of producing just 20% of the stock it's supposed to."

"The massive cut in production is because of the shortage of two components - the voice coil motor and the camera module. Because of the camera module shortages HTC might ship only 800,000 to 1,200,000 One smartphones in the next couple of months."

I have separately heard there is a shortage of screens also because of the custom size and there is a general shortage of SD600 which is causing problems for everyone.

They are going to get absolutely steamrolled by the GS4 next week and if they are launching in the same timeframe then it will fail. Samsung will out market and out hype them. Say what you want about Sony, at least the Z and ZL are out there and people are buying them right now.

HTC = Fucked

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_might_get_delayed_due_to_components_shortage-news-5667.php

"Industrial sources suggest HTC is having a bad time with the HTC One flagship manufacturing. The latest reports claim HTC is capable of producing just 20% of the stock it's supposed to."

"The massive cut in production is because of the shortage of two components - the voice coil motor and the camera module. Because of the camera module shortages HTC might ship only 800,000 to 1,200,000 One smartphones in the next couple of months."

I have separately heard there is a shortage of screens also because of the custom size and there is a general shortage of SD600 which is causing problems for everyone.

They are going to get absolutely steamrolled by the GS4 next week and if they are launching in the same timeframe then it will fail. Samsung will out market and out hype them. Say what you want about Sony, at least the Z and ZL are out there and people are buying them right now.

Thats good news for Xperia Z! HTC One is a beautiful phone no doubt, but it costs upwards to €700 and should've come out a few weeks earlier, shortages will only make things worse for HTC. I guess the lesson for other Android manufacturers is to release their flagship phones before the next Galaxy is announced and released. This year it also put pressure on Samsung to come out earlier with S4.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Tbh, even if the one is a great device (and all indications point that it is), it's still gonna take more than that to save them .

This shortage isn't gonna help at all.

Pctx

Banned
X Phone.

But seriously... The S4 this next week and the shortage of good phones out right now is what has put the industry into a weird lull. I wouldn't rule out HTC yet, but things aren't looking to good for them.

gcubed

i feel like quite a few people in this thread questioned HTC's odd screen size choice, saying it was going to cause them component problems.

Bell in Canada hasn't gotten a decent phone in as long as I can remember.

The first really good phones they will get since the S3 came out last year will be the One/ZL/S4.

It's like nothing happened for a while then boom all of a sudden 3 flagships coming out in the same vicinity. Not that it matters since Samsung will flood the other 2 and win out, but yeah :p

Vanillalite

Bell in Canada hasn't gotten a decent phone in as long as I can remember.

The first good phones they will get since the S3 came out last year will be the One/ZL/S4.

It's like nothing happened for a while then boom all of a sudden 3 flagships coming out in the same vicinity. Not that it matters since Samsung will flood the other 2 and win out, but yeah :p

Well to be fair isn't that how people want it? We don't want 10 different phones from everybody. We want like 3 aka the regular flagship, the phablet, and then the scaled down flagship that's on the cheaper low.

Plus since we are getting a main Android update once a year no need to pump out new hardware all the time.

Well to be fair isn't that how people want it? We don't want 10 different phones from everybody. We want like 3 aka the regular flagship, the phablet, and then the scaled down flagship that's on the cheaper low.

Plus since we are getting a main Android update once a year no need to pump out new hardware all the time.
yeah I don't mind it, it's why I mentioned a while back I wanted to move my annual upgrade from November to around March/April/May. That's when all the good shit comes out.

Vanillalite

Not that anyone really cares, but the patch H8Rift got merged into CM 10.1 is bossly in fixing the shitty picture resolution when I use to send MMS. Shit is way better now, and I don't feel like I need to use some 3rd party client.

PS: I know this is the Android thread, but it also feels like a community thread. Makes me want to ask some stuff to you n00bs about other stuff.

Nicktendo86

X Phone.

But seriously... The S4 this next week and the shortage of good phones out right now is what has put the industry into a weird lull. I wouldn't rule out HTC yet, but things aren't looking to good for them.
The way you go on about the x phone if it is not god tier when it is announced you will be slaughtered on here.

The way you go on about the x phone if it is not god tier when it is announced you will be slaughtered on here.
I don't know. Most of us here probably know that it's just another Motorola phone and we know what that means. I can't think of one thing, one feature that would make me eat crow. At best it will be another Galaxy clone, like that one LG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom