• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several things I want from KLP but if I don't get unified, multiplatform messaging, I'll be pissed. I don't want to use whatsapp.
That plus copy gamecenter type app for matchmaking and achievements and all that would be good. Also feel free to copy samsungs multi window thing google.

Cornerstone's setup is better.
Is that just for tablets though? I think Samsung has a pretty good implementation but I guess it could be refined. Maybe drag from the multi tasking menu by holding down rather than having to bring up a side bar and dragging from there.

Or something.

kehs

Banned
Is that just for tablets though? I think Samsung has a pretty good implementation but I guess it could be refined. Maybe drag from the multi tasking menu by holding down rather than having to bring up a side bar and dragging from there.

Or something.

I think they only had it running on tablets, but it seemed more flexible because it tapped the included layouts in android. Samsungs set up seems to scale based on their own criteria.

Do you every find yourself up late one night, wondering how it is you got lost in the dark streets and back alleys of ROM City, even after having left many times before? Its allure is too great to resist, but you must sacrifice so much when leaving your home in Stocksville.

The window of my swanky condo on the 61st floor of TouchWiz Tower looks out over Victoria Harbor towards the New Walled City in Neo-Kowloon. Commonly called ROM City because of the density of legal, semi-legal, and entirely illegal technology which can be bought and sold there, the New Walled City is a hodgepodge of unreadable neon signs under which Triad members loiter on dirty streets. Sometimes I wonder what it's like in ROM City.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The whatsapp beta is pretty dope.
I'm using it now. Yeah, it's OK but I am stuck using it on my phone. I'd like to seamlessly move from phone, desktop, tablet.

Talon

There are several things I want from KLP but if I don't get unified, multiplatform messaging, I'll be pissed. I don't want to use whatsapp.
Oh how the technology landscape has changed.

Forgoing third party options and demand platform native solutions.

The window of my swanky condo on the 61st floor of TouchWiz Tower looks out over Victoria Harbor towards the New Walled City in Neo-Kowloon. Commonly called ROM City because of the density of legal, semi-legal, and entirely illegal technology which can be bought and sold there, the New Walled City is a hodgepodge of unreadable neon signs under which Triad members loiter on dirty streets. Sometimes I wonder what it's like in ROM City.

Sense = Chunking Mansions.

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh how the technology landscape has changed.

Forgoing third party options and demand platform native solutions.

I expect the KLP unified messaging feature to be open to plugins from other messaging apps so whatsapp could be used in it if that's the app most popular in your country/social groups.

Nicktendo86

So, anyone seen the new Galaxy S4 posted today? Looks fake to me, looks exactly like the S3 with some funky design on the front. The rumours keep jumping between LCD and Amoled though, I really have no idea what the S4 is going to use.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I hate the plastic of the S3, but my girlfriend has one and prefers it to glass or whatever since it makes the phone much lighter and more resistant to scratching. So I guess people will eat this one up too.

tino

Banned
I like it. It looks more like a Note 2 than a S3. Same size for top and bottom bezels. The proportion look very good. Note 2's button is too small in proportion.

Also physical buttons fuck you haters hahaha.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I think the rim is made from actual metal this time. Looks way glossier in the leak than the fake metal the s3 uses.

zedge

I like it. It looks more like a Note 2 than a S3. Same size for top and bottom bezels. The proportion look very good. Note 2's button is too small in proportion.

Also physical buttons fuck you haters hahaha.
I like it too. Prefer the rounded corners like the s3. Much more comfortable in the hand that way. But who knows could be fake.
And ill take the plastic over the so called premium materials that scratch if you look at them the wrong way. ;)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
http://www.androidauthority.com/goo...s-image-leaked-ahead-galaxy-s4-launch-168464/

google-motorola-x-phone-leaked-image-1.jpg

The Google / Motorola X Phone is a rumored Nexus-like-but-not-a-Nexus flagship smartphone that the Search giant is said to unveil at Google I/O in mid-May, and it looks like we have a new leak for you today detailing some of its specs and features but also showing us how the handset could look like.

The coincidence

Before we dive into the actual leaked hardware, let’s go back in time for a few moments, to recap some of the recent events in the mobile ecosystem starting with MWC 2013; events that could be relevant to today’s leak.

While the Galaxy S4 wasn’t officially part of the mobile show – although some rumors suggest the phone was unofficially present in Barcelona, Spain – it certainly did cast a long shadow over this year’s MWC edition via various leaks but also thanks to Samsung’s confirmation of the announcement of the March 14 New York-based Galaxy S4 media event. In case you forgot, Samsung issued the Galaxy S4 Unpacked event invitations right during MWC, further building anticipation for one of the hottest handsets of the year.

At the time, we speculated that this could be a well-coordinated attack from Samsung’s marketing department, or a serious attempt to generate extra buzz around the handset, at the expense of Samsung’s competitors that were displaying new hardware at MWC.

During the same show, we also heard that Google may have a serious problem with Samsung grabbing more and more market share from rival Android handset makers, right alongside most of the profits based on Android device sales, and we wondered whether the Galaxy S4 vs X Phone will be one of the battles for Android this year.

We ended up that particular article asking ourselves whether “Google [has] reason to crash Samsung’s Galaxy S4 party in the coming weeks and months with more X Phone rumors primed to hit the web on a more regular basis.” Such actions could potentially suggest that Google isn’t entirely happy with Samsung’s progress, even though officially Google has denied having a Samsung problem since that report appeared in the Wall Street Journal.

Well, call it a wild coincidence or not, but on the first day of the week the Galaxy S4 gets official, the X Phone made an appearance, specs, features and image included. Is Google making a move against Samsung?

The hot stuff

We have no way of knowing whether Google’s marketing team is indeed targeting Samsung with such leaks, so in the mean time let’s get right down to business and check out today’s Google / Motorola X Phone rumor!

According to AndroidWorld, an “anonymous tipster” sent the publication details about the X Phone, so here’s what the device could offer, once it becomes official:

4.7-inch Full HD display
NVIDIA Tegra 4i processor
16-megapixel camera
5-megapixel front-facing camera which also serves as a light sensor with eye scrolling features
dimensions: 131.2 x 66.7 x 7.9 mm

Obviously, we’re taking everything with a grain of salt here, because there’s no way to confirm the hardware or the leaked image right now. But again, it’s worth pointing out that the X Phone rumors have started to appear in time to somehow attempt to ruin Samsung’s party this week.

Interestingly, assuming the specs above are based on the real deal, the device does not feature a 5-inch Full HD display as most 2013 flagship devices will have to offer. Instead we’re looking at a 4.7-inch display, which would put the device on par with the HTC One and the rumored Xperia C670 (although the latter is said to sport a 4.8-inch display).

Also interesting is the fact that the X Phone could be among the first, if not the first, handset to come with a Tegra 4i SoC under the hood. And check out those monstrous cameras – someone clearly didn’t get the UltraPixel memo. However, the X Phone may offer users its own eye tracking technology, a feature that seems to be already confirmed for the Galaxy S4.

We’re also quite intrigued with that slim 7.9mm profile and can’t but wonder what battery life will the device have to offer. Comparatively, the Motorola Droid RAZR Maxx HD, which also comes with a 4.7-inch display, has similar dimensions (131.9 x 67.9 x 9.3 mm), but it’s slightly thicker.

As for that render above, it doesn’t exactly reveal a bezel-less handset, although we could be looking at just a placeholder image.

Other details are not available at this time, and we’ll notice that, strangely, the Android OS version is not mentioned. Previously, the X Phone was said to run a vanilla version of Android, just like Nexus devices – and yes, those rumors do say that the handset will come with Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie out of the box. Considering that Google is already removing clutter from current Motorola Android Jelly Bean upgrades, it would make plenty of sense to see Moto launch devices running Nexus-like Android versions in the future, whether the X Phone is real or not.

And what’s up with that Motorola NXT branding? Is it a play on Nexus and X Phone?

We have lots of questions that can’t be answered at this time, and we’ll remind you once again that this is an unconfirmed rumor so far. We’re certainly going to keep you posted on future X Phone rumors in the coming weeks, and we’ll certainly be interested to see whether Galaxy S4 sales will have to suffer as buyers await Google’s I/O event.

What smartphone would you rather buy this year, the Samsung Galaxy S4 or the Google / Motorola X Phone?

Nicktendo86

I like it too. Prefer the rounded corners like the s3. Much more comfortable in the hand that way. But who knows could be fake.
And ill take the plastic over the so called premium materials that scratch if you look at them the wrong way. ;)
True, plastic can scuff too though. I dropped my galaxy nexus and it got horrible scratches and scuffs, mind you it was easy to get a replacement bezel.

tino

Banned

Its not fake. There are too many photos. It takes a long time to photoshop a fake.

Fatalah

Sure, just as I begin to settle on the S4, thinking the X-Phone isn't happening soon...

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :) :) FYI, from what I'm being told is that this phone is being called the "neXt" "phone in the long line of "NeXus" products hence the leaked slide which I've already seen. I'll start dropping more hints here shortly. ;)

And who are you, friend?! :-D

Blackhead

Redarse
I was thinking about buying a Nexus 7 like... this week. Perhaps I should wait a bit.

It's probably another 4-5 months before the next nexus 7 will be readily available and Nexus devices usually have good resale value. I'd say grab one now, especially if you don't mind a used one from Craigslist.

PaulLFC

Any way to get rid of the "Raise volume above safe level?" warning on the Nexus 4? To me it just seems irritating and pointless - surely people can decide themselves what volume they want to listen to music/videos at, without requiring a pointless warning that can't even be dismissed without using the touchscreen (so if you try to raise the volume with the volume rocker while the screen is off, the phone won't let you increase it - and what about if you're driving and can't look at the screen?). In fact irritating is an understatement.

Hopefully someone finds a way to get rid of it completely soon - it's a new "feature" of Android 4.2 apparently, so those on other handsets have it to look forward to.

So is it going to be a T4i phone? That will be significantly worse than all of the phones running on SD600 (or S4 Pro in Sony and LG's case). Quad A9 really is 2011/12 tech. If they are using T4 it will have worst in class battery life, even with the expected huge battery.

kehs

Banned
So is it going to be a T4i phone? That will be significantly worse than all of the phones running on SD600 (or S4 Pro in Sony and LG's case). Quad A9 really is 2011/12 tech. If they are using T4 it will have worst in class battery life, even with the expected huge battery.

I'm guessing the only reason they're going with the tegrong is the software radio.

Ocho

Any way to get rid of the "Raise volume above safe level?" warning on the Nexus 4? To me it just seems irritating and pointless - surely people can decide themselves what volume they want to listen to music/videos at, without requiring a pointless warning that can't even be dismissed without using the touchscreen (so if you try to raise the volume with the volume rocker while the screen is off, the phone won't let you increase it - and what about if you're driving and can't look at the screen?). In fact irritating is an understatement.

Hopefully someone finds a way to get rid of it completely soon - it's a new "feature" of Android 4.2 apparently, so those on other handsets have it to look forward to.

It won't let you increase volume while screen is off? I have no problems on my Note 2 (I'm on 4.1.2, btw). Otherwise, a 3 second pop up is no big deal.

PaulLFC

It won't let you increase volume while screen is off? I have no problems on my Note 2 (I'm on 4.1.2, btw). Otherwise, a 3 second pop up is no big deal.
Nope. Volume wouldn't increase until I turned on the screen and dismissed the warning. Even if it did, it's still annoying to have to dismiss a warning every time you want to increase the volume to anything past "moderate" - why should we have to do that? Everyone can control what volume is acceptable to them without a box popping up asking them are you really sure you meant to turn the volume up? - yes, yes I am.

I think it was only introduced on 4.2 (or 4.2.1) - so you may not get it yet until an update releases.

I made a separate thread so it wouldn't be buried in here.

New Android App Allows Google Music Stored Songs Played By 3rd Party Music Players!

This gets around the fact that normally the Google Cloud Music stuff is a different file type and flagged differently so 3rd party players can't see or play the files.

Does music bought on the Play Music store have DRM? It seems to only work on the Play Music app.
Not really DRM, but it is designed to work with the Play Music app only. The app up above supposedly opens it up to other players. I haven't tried it.

Also, where is this pic from? I found it in the reddit comments about that X Phone leak.

sHzslrd.jpg

I'm hoping this means the Tegra bit is fake as well.

Nicktendo86

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :) :) FYI, from what I'm being told is that this phone is being called the "neXt" "phone in the long line of "NeXus" products hence the leaked slide which I've already seen. I'll start dropping more hints here shortly. ;)
Ummm colour me intrigued if still a little sceptical.

gcubed

you can download music from google play music store in mp3 format. It has no DRM and can be played anywhere. The songs that are stored on your phone if you pin them/etc are set up to only run on Google Music

Man, I am ... underwhelmed... by the Tegra4. I have yet to see a good Tegra product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom