• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
but google is trying to push their store aren't they? I'm not saying 300 bucks, of course. But like 400-500 bucks. Somewhere in between that range. They could sell through carriers and their own store.

Investors won't stand for a hardware unit that eats away at margins. Seriously, using Moto to push cheap hardware would be looked at as a losing strategy.

Investors are ok with Google Fiber eating away at margins

Because the long game in that is worth it plus it's an area that Google are not already in so it only damages other companies. Pushing down hardware margins for Android would just force the likes of Samsung and Sony to fork it and go with their own custom version like Amazon. It would damage their business in the long term to erode hardware margins and piss their partners off. Why do you think they were forced to go with LG for N4?

I'll say they're fake. Samsung did the same thing last year. They have too many prototypes in the wild to know. I'll say that a lot of it is real, like the pattern you mention, as well as the aluminium around the edges, but the actual casing is not the final casing.

yeah, i also think its a real prototype, but not with the final look of the real phone.

tino

Banned
i was under the impression from everything i read it is still programmable, band programmable and fully updatable, just not for CDMA

Does FCC even allow programmable radio. When the N4 went through FCC they didn't report one LTE band and they are not allowed to use it in the US.

navbar%20shortcuts.jpg

From CM, but google, seriously get on this shit.

https://jira.cyanogenmod.org/browse/CYAN-55

that's hot. still not as good as having a device with real buttons though.

gcubed

Does FCC even allow programmable radio. When the N4 went through FCC they didn't report one LTE band and they are not allowed to use it in the US.

you would have to be certified for all capabilities, the phone would go through the FCC with all bands in the US most likely.

BIGWORM

"Optional: Place any supplemental packages (eg Google Apps or kernel) .zip file(s) on the root of the SD card."

yeah, i'd call the gapps.zip required and not 'Optional' but otherwise it seems to be a solid guide.

considering gapps has the first time wizard, let alone Play Store, it's an absolute requirement.

"Optional: Place any supplemental packages (eg Google Apps or kernel) .zip file(s) on the root of the SD card."

yeah, i'd call the gapps.zip required and not 'Optional' but otherwise it seems to be a solid guide.

considering gapps has the first time wizard, let alone Play Store, it's an absolute requirement.

That was the sort of thing I was concerned about. It looks so much simpler than any other guide I've seen over the past few days it seemed too good to be true. Thanks! (Anything else?)

Nope. Volume wouldn't increase until I turned on the screen and dismissed the warning. Even if it did, it's still annoying to have to dismiss a warning every time you want to increase the volume to anything past "moderate" - why should we have to do that? Everyone can control what volume is acceptable to them without a box popping up asking them are you really sure you meant to turn the volume up? - yes, yes I am.

I think it was only introduced on 4.2 (or 4.2.1) - so you may not get it yet until an update releases.

that EU regulation on headphone output is just so bizarre.

That was the sort of thing I was concerned about. It looks so much simpler than any other guide I've seen over the past few days it seemed too good to be true. Thanks! (Anything else?)

it really is that easy.

think about all of the knowledge and setup that is required for you to complete each step.

Nicktendo86

I think they have to say that to keep Google happy, gapps used to included but they had to separate it.

buhdeh

Just watched the verge's review on the HTC One. It doesn't seem too bad, hope they're able to steal some market share from Samsung. The One and ZL are the only phones coming out that interest me. I don't have much faith in the X phone but we'll see.

I'm enjoying watching people shitting on Nvidia the past few pages. So many competitors have underestimated Nvidia, to their ruin. I hope that Nvidia competitors continue to underestimate them because I like seeing my Nvidia stock going up.

The tegra line sucks unknown.

Anybody remember the NV1? The Riva128? How many iterations of graphics cards did Nvidia go through until they made good ones? Now look at them, their only remaining competitor in graphics is the now deathbed-bound ATI/AMD. Keep on underestimating them guys, it only benefits me.

tino

Banned
I'm enjoying watching people shitting on Nvidia the past few pages. So many competitors have underestimated Nvidia, to their ruin. I hope that Nvidia competitors continue to underestimate them because I like seeing my Nvidia stock going up.

Sorry dude. Should have dumped NVDA when HTC dumped T4i.

PaulLFC

that EU regulation on headphone output is just so bizarre.
It really is. It's not like anyone was forced to listen at a certain volume before the regulation, there have always been volume up/down buttons or dials, where people can choose which volume is suitable for them. Having some needless law that serves to do absolutely nothing but pop up pointless nag boxes for no reason except annoyance is just ridiculous.

From what I've read, it was added to Android "due to a request" - from who?! I'm baffled that anyone would actually request this. Just... turn the volume down if it bothers you that much?

I don't tend to underestimate Nvidia and at the bank we have previously held Nvidia stock and made a bundle of money on it, but Tegra just isn't very good right now. They need to put Kepler grade shaders in and integrate a baseband with a powerful ARM core.

Tegra 4 should be 4x A15, 96 Kepler ALUs and a universal software modem for GSM and CDMA devices with a 5-7W TDP. That would have destroyed everything, but we'll have to wait for T5 for that kind of hardware.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I don't tend to underestimate Nvidia and at the bank we have previously held Nvidia stock and made a bundle of money on it, but Tegra just isn't very good right now. They need to put Kepler grade shaders in and integrate a baseband with a powerful ARM core.

Tegra 4 should be 4x A15, 96 Kepler ALUs and a universal software modem for GSM and CDMA devices with a 5-7W TDP. That would have destroyed everything, but we'll have to wait for T5 for that kind of hardware.

To be fair Tegra 4 itself is four A15 cores. It's the Tegra 4i that's the remixed A9 stuff.

I hate the naming convention as it really screws with things IMO.

kehs

Banned
Anybody remember the NV1? The Riva128? How many iterations of graphics cards did Nvidia go through until they made good ones? Now look at them, their only remaining competitor in graphics is the now deathbed-bound ATI/AMD. Keep on underestimating them guys, it only benefits me.

I'm not underestimating them. Tegra 2 sucks. Tegra 3 sucks.

I think I see a pattern.

Congrats on the money, but they're still making shitty products.

Vanillalite

I'm not underestimating them. Tegra 2 sucks. Tegra 3 sucks.

I think I see a partern.

Tegra 2 sucked. Tegra 3 was just under performed compared to prerelease hype and the time it took to get out on the market. I wouldn't say it totally sucks though. The Nexus 7 and international One X both run perfectly fine now that they've worked out some of the kinks.

To be fair Tegra 4 itself is four A15 cores. It's the Tegra 4i that's the remixed A9 stuff.

I hate the naming convention as it really screws with things IMO.

Yeah, but T4 doesn't have an integrated baseband and it doesn't have fully programmable shaders so it is well behind the competition. Not even shader model 4.0 compatible, it's just sad.

saying Tegra 4i isn't underestimating Nvidia.

sure Tegra 5 or 6 could be awesome, but that's not what we're discussing.

kehs

Banned
So if you delete all the pictures on your phone, you get stuck inside the camera unable to access the gallery until you force close it. Pretty funny bug.

Vanillalite

Why though? The whole point of decoupling apps from the system software was exactly to get around the fact that they could update as they go versus having to wait for the next version of the OS.
I'm assuming when KLP comes out they'll also be like "oh btw finally chrome doesn't suck as much and now gmail is better, both of those are available for update now!" or something.

I would not be surprised if neither of those happen.

mturco

Anyone want to speculate about what new stuff Google is putting in KLP? (Also, have they even confirmed that name?)

I honestly have no clue what they're going to do. I assume Google Now will get an upgrade and I hope we get an integrated messaging app but other than that I have no idea.

Cipherr

Anyone want to speculate about what new stuff Google is putting in KLP? (Also, have they even confirmed that name?)

I honestly have no clue what they're going to do. I assume Google Now will get an upgrade and I hope we get an integrated messaging app but other than that I have no idea.

Messaging could use an update, maybe Chrome, new Google Now stuff and an UI update for maps.

But outside of that, not much. I'm pretty happy with the OS as it stands right now, I wouldn't be mad at a switch to HOLO light though.

mturco

Messaging could use an update, maybe Chrome, new Google Now stuff and an UI update for maps.

But outside of that, not much. I'm pretty happy with the OS as it stands right now, I wouldn't be mad at a switch to HOLO light though.

Agreed. Ever since 4.1 I've been pretty much satisfied with Android. Most of the stuff that needs updating are separate apps on the Play store too (like you mentioned - Chrome, Maps, Gmail).

I don't know why but I get the feeling they're going to do something big, though. 4.1 was mostly performance and UI tweaking and 4.2 just added a few little things (swipe keyboard, new camera app). The last big update was ICS, which will have been 1.5 years ago once I/O comes around.

From Samsung official twitter account.

https://twitter.com/SamsungMobileUS

BFHlbV1CcAAcPc1.jpg:large
pretty hyped for thursday. I think samsung will bring some interesting features in their software. Also just want to know what battery it's packing already! Also maybe those leaked pics were the final product. Unless samsung is pulling a bait and switch here.

OR it's just a generic "galaxy phone" pic, especially considering there is no speaker grill lol. Guess we'll see soon.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
I just hope they get rid of that drop sound. I feel like it's conditioning me to pee whenever my gf uses her phone.

Talon

I just hope they get rid of that drop sound. I feel like it's conditioning me to pee whenever my gf uses her phone.
I think everyone I know with a Galaxy S3 has made this comment to me.

Lord knows it was the first thing I disabled on the Note II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom