• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

No I mean 5. Dot releases at this point are just frosting and icing of which need not apply. We need to start seeing some more guts of the OS fleshed out and see where Android is going. Them keeping it secret with the momentum they have, especially given the iOS 6 Maps flap just makes me think that they either: A) Don't have anything compelling or B) Are waiting to see what Apple does.

I view the Nexus line as the "Best in class Google Experience" of which it's high time that they step up and make the list I made above in line with the OS that they are offering and quiet frankly, that company is Motorola. If they can put a spread of the "Nexus" brands across all 3 carriers, they will be activating more than 2 million devices a day in no time. I look at the possibility of the 'Nexus' line representing the "best" of what Google has to offer and I'm holding out hope that they make it happen.

What I expect out of the next "god-tier" Nexus phone?
- 4.8"+ SuperAmoled HD+ display or SLCD2 equiv
- Higher clocked Dual-Core 1.8GHz chip
- 2GB of memory
- 32GB of storage with 64/128 models available
- Pentaband w/ LTE
- Unlocked, unmolested, untouched bootloader and SIM that can be used anywhere in the world
- Unique and custom made design
- Pure Google Experience on all 3 carriers w/o bloat running either 4.2 or 5.0 to continue to push the market forward.
-$299 or lower price point

Its nice to want things. But it has already been explained more than once. Google is not Apple. They do not have a god phone they launch every year. The Nexus will never be a "This versus the newest latest iPhone" sort of device. Its never been that way, and it never will because Android is not run like iOS is. Android flagships are launched by OHA members running their software skins, period. End of story.

Google is not going to turn into Apple and start chucking out phones through Motorola either. Thats not what this platform is. Nexus devices will have moderate hardware, nothing groundbreaking at all, they will be modest in price and run Vanilla Android. That's the draw, it'll never be a massive draw, and it'll never be the top selling Android handset, ever.

I feel like Debbie Downer holding a broken record, but still, its true. I dont see this approach changing as its done nothing but good for Google and the Android platform to date. I know people would love to have this 'Jesus' Phone from Google and Apple both to sit beside one another, but that just does not fit, the approaches to things are far to different with Apple and Google to do that.

Its nice to want things. But it has already been explained more than once. Google is not Apple. They do not have a god phone they launch every year. The Nexus will never be a "This versus the newest latest iPhone" sort of device. Its never been that way, and it never will because Android is not run like iOS is. Android flagships are launched by OHA members running their software skins, period. End of story.

Google is not going to turn into Apple and start chucking out phones through Motorola either. Thats not what this platform is. Nexus devices will have moderate hardware, nothing groundbreaking at all, they will be modest in price and run Vanilla Android. That's the draw, it'll never be a massive draw, and it'll never be the top selling Android handset, ever.

I feel like Debbie Downer holding a broken record, but still, its true. I dont see this approach changing as its done nothing but good for Google and the Android platform to date. I know people would love to have this 'Jesus' Phone from Google and Apple both to sit beside one another, but that just does not fit, the approaches to things are far to different with Apple and Google to do that.

i'm sure he understands that this is not what google does...

but isn't it what they NEED to be doing? I think so.

oh and also, gingerbread still at like 55 something percent... Was ice cream sandwich like notoriously hard to upgrade to? I believe it was. it took 6-7 months for flagship phones to upgrade to that, so a lot of lesser phones got left behind, even phones that were promised to get the upgrade, like the Atrix 4G.

So Gingerbread will probably still reign supreme until those phones can be flushed out of the market by a dearth of new phones, flagship and value-focused alike.

Jelly Bean is definitely getting updated at a faster pace...is it on pace with say froyo to GB updates?

AndyD

aka andydumi

I disagree. I think the current process of few "pure" devices for those who want them and a stronger focus on features out to everyone and a lot of product variety for all preferences and price points makes a lot more sense.

Because if you start focusing on your own device in competition with the market, you inevitably start favoring it in development, giving it exclusive features and so forth. And that is not a path I want to see Android going down. Let us have as many options as possible.

You're missing the point of the word "Nexus" though. If a Nexus phone is to be the most sought after phone because it is:
- Best in class software
- Best in class design
- Best in class developer platform
- Best in class components (CPU to speaker phone)
- Best in class materials....

Then why exactly is having all your Android manufactures (which is shrinking) launch a device that is hardly anything different from the next? Classic case to me is the HTC 8X WP8 phone compared to the Nokia Lumia 920. About the only thing different is SLCD2 and Beats. Ok. From a consumer standpoint, two bullet points that while are important, don't offer a clear contrast between the $199-$299 smartphones of today and the El-cheapo piece of crap dumbphones that are disposable.

Who knows, maybe I'm becoming more jaded by the lack of innovation by some of these guys because they are doing a crap job of getting me excited about Android 5.0.

Nexus phones were never supposed to be 'sought after' phones. They started out as phones for developers who could work with a stock Android platform. Since then the target market for Nexus phones seems to have grown to anybody who prefers pure stock Android. With the Nexus 7, Google made a tablet to compete with the Kindle Fire because their Android OEMs didn't seem to know how. In every case, Nexus was never supposed to be a 'flagship' or 'hero' device, and that's likely to be intentional because Google doesn't want to compete with their OEMs. This is probably why they are being so careful with the firewall they have built between the rest of Google and Motorola, since Android's success has entirely been dependent on the OEMs who have supported it even under a withering hail of Apple's lawsuits.

Cipherr

No, its not. Anyone who thinks its a good idea for Google to take Motorola and start exclusively churning out Nexus phones has either lost their minds, or doesn't understand what would happen if they did something that stupid. This is what convinces me that people aren't paying attention to the differences between iOS Apple and Android and Google.

I can't really be bothered to try and explain how dumb of an idea it would be for Google to start making first party Nexus phones via Motorola with exclusive benefits and whatnot. Just trust me, its not what needs to be done, the approach they are currently taking is, has been, and continues to be tremendously successful.

Nexus phones were never supposed to be 'sought after' phones. They started out as phones for developers who could work with a stock Android platform. Since then the target market for Nexus phones seems to have grown to anybody who prefers pure stock Android. With the Nexus 7, Google made a tablet to compete with the Kindle Fire because their Android OEMs didn't seem to know how. In every case, Nexus was never supposed to be a 'flagship' or 'hero' device, and that's likely to be intentional because Google doesn't want to compete with their OEMs. This is probably why they are being so careful with the firewall they have built between the rest of Google and Motorola, since Android's success has entirely been dependent on the OEMs who have supported it even under a withering hail of Apple's lawsuits.

Exactly. If they showed any signs of favoring their own devices or developing in house in competition with the HW manus that have very literally helped MAKE this OS the success it is, the entire thing would implode on itself. I don't see whats so difficult to understand about that. Apple and Googles business approach to the mobile market are radically different from one another. You can't copy Apples approach and paste it onto Google+Motorola. It just wouldn't work. And it would send me (and probably Samsung, HTC and all the rest) running and screaming to the next closest thing, WP8.

Shiggy

How does the Google wallet system work? They show all prices in HKD but I was charged in HKD only for my first purchase. When I want to buy anything now, the prices are all of a sudden in EUR or USD (as soon as I click on the purchase button).

tino

Banned
How does the Google wallet system work? They show all prices in HKD but I was charged in HKD only for my first purchase. When I want to buy anything now, the prices are all of a sudden in EUR or USD (as soon as I click on the purchase button).

Depends on your location and type of credit card. Probably you started with a HK phone but used a US card in the US.

Shiggy

Depends on your location and type of credit card. Probably you started with a HK phone but used a US card in the US.

I'm using a HK sim card in Hong Kong and my credit card is from Germany. This was the case when I made my first purchase and since then it's only showing EUR and USD prices at checkout.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Got my wife an HTC One S and I am getting pretty bad signal with it. In my home usually just see the 2G icon on the top. When it does get 4G the speeds do not match what it should be. Her previous phone was a Mytouch 4G which would get great signal and speeds. Anyone here have one an experience this or have heard of these issues?

Blackhead

Redarse
iOS doesn't actually leave the apps running in the background except a few like Safari/Spotify/etc and leaves them in a suspended state till you go back to it to save battery. You can download a tweak called Backgrounder to have everything actually running.

Android usually leaves everything running in the background.
Android doesn't usually leave everything running in the background. The option is left to the developer, and some apps do offer the feature of running in the background, but Android can swoop in and kill processes as needed.
Okay I see. That's probably why android also uses up the battery alot. As soon as I downloaded the Android task killer, it started saving me like double the battery.
:/ that's wrong
Android Task Killers are Dead—Here's What You Should Be Doing - Tested
Real World Test Show That Android Task Killers Are Still Useless - Lifehacker

Nicktendo86

Indeed. I would love a flagship Nexus phone with state of the art hardware but I know we will probably never get it.

What I really hope they concentrate on the next phone is battery life and please please please ditch AMOLED! I am sick to death of burnt in screens just because I put the brightness over 50%!

gcubed

No, its not. Anyone who thinks its a good idea for Google to take Motorola and start exclusively churning out Nexus phones has either lost their minds, or doesn't understand what would happen if they did something that stupid. This is what convinces me that people aren't paying attention to the differences between iOS Apple and Android and Google.

I can't really be bothered to try and explain how dumb of an idea it would be for Google to start making first party Nexus phones via Motorola with exclusive benefits and whatnot. Just trust me, its not what needs to be done, the approach they are currently taking is, has been, and continues to be tremendously successful.

Exactly. If they showed any signs of favoring their own devices or developing in house in competition with the HW manus that have very literally helped MAKE this OS the success it is, the entire thing would implode on itself. I don't see whats so difficult to understand about that. Apple and Googles business approach to the mobile market are radically different from one another. You can't copy Apples approach and paste it onto Google+Motorola. It just wouldn't work. And it would send me (and probably Samsung, HTC and all the rest) running and screaming to the next closest thing, WP8.

You were good until the last sentence, where you lost it all by citing an example of an OS that favors a company over others.

tino

Banned
I'm using a HK sim card in Hong Kong and my credit card is from Germany. This was the case when I made my first purchase and since then it's only showing EUR and USD prices at checkout.

Does this bother you? There is one of those "localizer" apps that can set location and country for you. I would ask in a HK forum first. Unless the market prevent you from buying some apps I don't see the problem.

Shiggy

Does this bother you? There is one of those "localizer" apps that can set location and country for you. I would ask in a HK forum first. Unless the market prevent you from buying some apps I don't see the problem.

The prices bother me as the apps are cheaper in HK ;)
For the localiser apps you probably need to root your device, which I don't plan on doing.

Perhaps I should get a local credit card...

Cipherr

You were good until the last sentence, where you lost it all by citing an example of an OS that favors a company over others.

The last sentence wasnt an example at all....

I'm not seeing the problem. I clearly noted it as the next closest thing, not an equivalent. There is no major mobile OS equivalent to Android. I completely stand by the idea that if Google were to screw things up and go 1st part hardware mode that these HW companies would probably pile onto wp8, where else would they go exactly, heck most of them are already there.

I did t say anything about churning out phones through Motorola. I just want them to step up features. Google making a nexus phone with top of the life e features isn't going to do anything to hurt its competitors. Its so.ply going to give those people that buy a nexus phone a better phone. Everyone here knows nexus phones aren't top sellers. Just give me a better from Google experience and stop including features like a 5 megapixel camera that went out of style like a year prior.

And update the Damn stock camera. Samsung isn't going to flee to windows phone for any reason. They would go with bada before putting all their chips in that basket. Windows phone doesn't offer any customization.

Matter of fact if manu's were angry at Google I would say its a better chance that they would all just start running forked versions of the latest software they could get their hands on and just roll with either the amazon app store or try to peddle their own bleak wares

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Got my wife an HTC One S and I am getting pretty bad signal with it. In my home usually just see the 2G icon on the top. When it does get 4G the speeds do not match what it should be. Her previous phone was a Mytouch 4G which would get great signal and speeds. Anyone here have one an experience this or have heard of these issues?

Could be a lot of things. Do you get shitty service everywhere? Could need to have it's network settings reset. I'd take it back into the T-Mobile store, and then let them know about your service problem. Maybe it's a bad sim or just faulty hardware.

More rumours of the samsung nexus 2/galaxy nexus+ (or 2) today eh. Still doesn't discount the multiple OEM rumour. La la la la. October y u move slow.

If it's ONLY samsung I'll be disappointed and continue hating them forever (unless the phone is miraculously fantastic), BUT, if it's not the galaxy nexus slightly upgraded and is actually a whole new phone, it won't be utter disappointment, if it is a slightly upgraded galaxy nexus then...the disappointment is ultimate.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I did t say anything about churning out phones through Motorola. I just want them to step up features. Google making a nexus phone with top of the life e features isn't going to do anything to hurt its competitors. Its so.ply going to give those people that buy a nexus phone a better phone. Everyone here knows nexus phones aren't top sellers. Just give me a better from Google experience and stop including features like a 5 megapixel camera that went out of style like a year prior.

And update the Damn stock camera. Samsung isn't going to flee to windows phone for any reason. They would go with bada before putting all their chips in that basket. Windows phone doesn't offer any customization.

Matter of fact if manu's were angry at Google I would say its a better chance that they would all just start running forked versions of the latest software they could get their hands on and just roll with either the amazon app store or try to peddle their own bleak wares

What features are you looking for? I think Google/Android is improving at a good pace. Of course there is room to grow and improve, but it's not stagnating either.

gcubed

The last sentence wasnt an example at all....

I'm not seeing the problem. I clearly noted it as the next closest thing, not an equivalent. There is no major mobile OS equivalent to Android. I completely stand by the idea that if Google were to screw things up and go 1st part hardware mode that these HW companies would probably pile onto wp8, where else would they go exactly, heck most of them are already there.

but you are suggesting they would bail android and move to WP8, because Android would give preferential treatment to Motorola, whereas MS already gave preferential treatment to Nokia, coupled with rumors of an MS made Surface phone

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Manufacturers have no where to go, unless they want to use webOS. Which, if I were them, I probably would. Maybe.

Pctx

Banned

Did I ever say that Google was Apple? If it was implied then I apologize, but Google can do way better than Apple can just based on how many phones they are activating a day. In comparing Motorola's hardware department to Apple's in terms of churning out hardware, just look at the RAZR Maxx series. Either way, my underlying point is Google's control over Android or the lack thereof is what is ultimately tied to what type of hardware they push in order to show the "best" of Android. Having a "uber" phone to do that isn't a bad place to get to. Granted, the Galaxy Nexus was a mid-to-top tier phone for developers, same with with the Nexus One. I think Google can do better and set the standard for other phone manufactures and that's what I would do if I were in charge.

oh and also, gingerbread still at like 55 something percent... Was ice cream sandwich like notoriously hard to upgrade to? I believe it was. it took 6-7 months for flagship phones to upgrade to that, so a lot of lesser phones got left behind, even phones that were promised to get the upgrade, like the Atrix 4G.

So Gingerbread will probably still reign supreme until those phones can be flushed out of the market by a dearth of new phones, flagship and value-focused alike.

Jelly Bean is definitely getting updated at a faster pace...is it on pace with say froyo to GB updates?
Agreed. I believe their roadmap or business plan need to address adoption rate issues. ICS and up towards Jelly Bean an on, the Android OS (thank God) is more modular by design so getting updates out will hopefully be sooner. I'm hoping the jump from 4.0.4 to 4.1.1 and up to 4.2.x and up to 5.x eventually will be easier than previous upgrades.

I disagree. I think the current process of few "pure" devices for those who want them and a stronger focus on features out to everyone and a lot of product variety for all preferences and price points makes a lot more sense.

Because if you start focusing on your own device in competition with the market, you inevitably start favoring it in development, giving it exclusive features and so forth. And that is not a path I want to see Android going down. Let us have as many options as possible.
tumblr_m4b7z8oiB71qdqh77.gif

"Isn't this easier....."
Nexi? (plural) is not something I want to see in my lifetime.

My point to everyone in this thread is Google has not fully explained to us what their plans are for the Nexus line and I would like them to push the boundries of it a bit more to make the "Nexus" line more top-tier in order to push other manufactures in their designs and features.

Again, not advocating that.

What features are you looking for? I think Google/Android is improving at a good pace. Of course there is room to grow and improve, but it's not stagnating either.

i just want them to throw all the best specs in each category on the nexus phone, that and running stock android is all anybody here wants for the most part...

everybody in here (ok not absolutely everybody) throws AOSP on their phone first chance they get.

i don't think that hurts their competitors. especially if it's not sold through a carrier. and if it is sold through a carrier, like sprint or verizon? well...i don't think that's hurting samsung much. probably not hurting HTC all that much either. HTC is hurting HTC right now.

cube444

While we knew LG was planning to launch the Optimus G here in America we were’t sure which carriers would be getting it. We had an idea, but nothing concrete. What’s more concrete than a press release, though? They’ve announced that AT&T and Sprint will soon carry the great-looking device in what has to be the OEM’s most ambitious offering yet.

The Optimus G boasts a quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro, 2GB of RAM, a 4.7 inch True IPS HD display, a 13 megapixel camera, Android 4.0 to start, and more.

LG’s press release mentions “13 megapixel or 8 megapixel camera” for their rear camera specs so it sounds like one of these carriers will get the lesser version. It also looks like carriers will be able to offer either 16GB, 32GB, or both.

As it stands the LG Optimus G will arguably be the most powerful device to launch in America. We’d consider the Galaxy Note 2, but technically are unable to considering its launch event has yet to take place.

It rivals the Samsung Galaxy S3 in pretty much every area, and while it currently bests the American Galaxy S3 in processor type rumor has it Samsung is coming out with an S3 “plus” of sorts that’ll have 64GB of internal storage and a quad-core processor of some sort.

But this is about the Optimus G, LG’s greatest attempt to find their footing in the smartphone market the right way. Read on for full press details, and stay tuned as each individual carrier issues press releases of their own.

Link

I don't want 5 inch screens anywhere near my nexus.

Also androidcentral had a bunch of sample pics taken from the 13megapixel version of the optimus G, they looked kind of shitty/sub-par. Why would they go all out on specs and all that and then skimp on the camera. Don't get some of these companies.

I find the "Nexus 2" name really meh. I want 5" 1080p Nexus 5.

so firstly I suggest everybody read these rumors:

Android and Me: Rumor and Speculation Report

So reading that rumour report i'll post my predictions(for hardware w/ multiple possible names:

LG
Optimus G Nexus
Nexus G (rumor says the first, but this would have been cool)

Samsung
Galaxy Nexus II
Nexus S3 (would have been cool, as I believe the GNex should have been called the S2)

Motorola
Nexus RAZR
RAZR Nexus
Nexus R

Sony
XPERIA Nexus
Nexus X
Nexus XP

HTC
Nexus 5
HTC One N
HTC One Nexus
Nexus One, teehee! :D

Next Year (or whenever new tablets are scheduled)

Asus
Nexus 7 Prime
Nexus 7 Squared
Nexus 10
Transformer Nexus
Transformer Nexus 10
Transformer Nexus Prime
Transformer Nexus 10 Prime

Disclaimer for the slow: I realize i'm stretching on all this. Just having a little fun with names.

All I know is my upgrade date is november 30th, so they best be quickwitit.

Also the customization centre thing sounds interesting. I'm not sure how deep it goes or whether it simply changes aesthetics, but it would be WONDERFUL if every device could be a nexus device if you want it to be after you buy it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I really want a tablet, but I can't help but think now is a bad time. Next year should be the 2nd go round of a Nexus tablet. Plus it should be go around version to of the ipad mini and win 8 stuff as well.

Waiting sucks though. I just hate to buy version one of stuff these days.

About the customization centre thing, I seriously don't understand why google hadn't provided that a long time ago. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that benefit EVERYBODY? Rather than have TouchWiz and Motion Blur and whatever other bullshit be baked into the OS and custom built, it will simply be a theme that will be on the phone by default, and easily turned off. By theme I mean only the aesthetics are changed. It would be easier for companies to maintain and update their themes, and it would be easier for those who want stock to use that.

Unless there's something I'm missing of course. And I know there are certain aspects that I'm not sure how it would, for instance HTC having their own multitasking thing going on, and so on. But I'm not google, I'm sure they can figure out an easy way to turn that off and on.

Cipherr

About the customization centre thing, I seriously don't understand why google hadn't provided that a long time ago. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't that benefit EVERYBODY? Rather than have TouchWiz and Motion Blur and whatever other bullshit be baked into the OS and custom built, it will simply be a theme that will be on the phone by default, and easily turned off. By theme I mean only the aesthetics are changed. It would be easier for companies to maintain and update their themes, and it would be easier for those who want stock to use that.

Unless there's something I'm missing of course. And I know there are certain aspects that I'm not sure how it would, for instance HTC having their own multitasking thing going on, and so on. But I'm not google, I'm sure they can figure out an easy way to turn that off and on.

It would be the perfect world for those of us who care about Vanilla Android, but I do wonder how manufacturers would react to that. Their ability to distinguish their devices is extremely important to them. I would imagine them only accepting it if the process of swapping over to AOSP/Vanilla was similar to the way HTC handles unlocking a bootloader. Involving sacrifice of warranty and whatnot if you choose to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom