• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talon

still standing by my prediction that LG will become more popular than HTC...

the more I think about it, the more i notice that they are really similar to Samsung...

I mean they make everything from refrigerators and washers and dryers, to TV's and smartphones and back...
Newsflash: There are three major conglomerates in South Korea that make everything from consumer devices and appliances to ships and motors.

tino

Banned
still standing by my prediction that LG will become more popular than HTC...

the more I think about it, the more i notice that they are really similar to Samsung...

I mean they make everything from refrigerators and washers and dryers, to TV's and smartphones and back...

There is nothing special about LG besides decent screens. Their phones build quality is not good. I trust Lenovo Huawei before I trust LG.

besiktas1

My sim tray finally came.... Looks like it is... Fixed!
Well I'm still feeling paranoid about overheating and battery issues but so far at least I have reception.

besiktas1

Hehe congrads! That was quite a scare fir a few weeks.
Few months more like lol... :(
Over sensitive with it now. especially with the battery. When it was broke it lasted 2hrs on standby. Do far its been 3hrs and its on 70%. I'll give it a few days. I guess I need to reset the Battery cells but relying on the alarm tonight so ill leave it till the weekend.

Pctx

Banned
It makes sense given the Android market as it is now. You get choice when you choose Android, and having more than one Nexus in a given year by different manufacturers guarantees that you'll get hardware choice without running the risk of the manufacturer never updating your awesome device. Some people prefer Moto's build quality, others prefer Samsung's stylings, etc.

You're missing the point of the word "Nexus" though. If a Nexus phone is to be the most sought after phone because it is:
- Best in class software
- Best in class design
- Best in class developer platform
- Best in class components (CPU to speaker phone)
- Best in class materials....

Then why exactly is having all your Android manufactures (which is shrinking) launch a device that is hardly anything different from the next? Classic case to me is the HTC 8X WP8 phone compared to the Nokia Lumia 920. About the only thing different is SLCD2 and Beats. Ok. From a consumer standpoint, two bullet points that while are important, don't offer a clear contrast between the $199-$299 smartphones of today and the El-cheapo piece of crap dumbphones that are disposable.

Who knows, maybe I'm becoming more jaded by the lack of innovation by some of these guys because they are doing a crap job of getting me excited about Android 5.0.

Newsflash: There are three major conglomerates in South Korea that make everything from consumer devices and appliances to ships and motors.

Sorry there world traveler...

what's the third one?

You're missing the point of the word "Nexus" though. If a Nexus phone is to be the most sought after phone because it is:
- Best in class software
- Best in class design

Then why exactly is having all your Android manufactures (which is shrinking) launch a device that is hardly anything different from the next? Classic case to me is the HTC 8X WP8 phone compared to the Nokia Lumia 920. About the only thing different is SLCD2 and Beats. Ok. From a consumer standpoint, two bullet points that while are important, don't offer a clear contrast between the $199-$299 smartphones of today and the El-cheapo piece of crap dumbphones that are disposable.

Who knows, maybe I'm becoming more jaded by the lack of innovation by some of these guys because they are doing a crap job of getting me excited about Android 5.0.

You mean Android 4.2.

- Best in class software
- Best in class design

Since when ha e the nexus devices been best in class hardware?
Galaxy nexus was outdated on release and nexus s was a rebadged galaxy s. I think the nexus one only beat the HTC desire, which it is based on, to market by a few months.

Nexus phones have never been sought after, neither HTC nor Samsung have had huge sales success with any of the nexus phones. I think the phones are just a way for Google to show off what android is really capable of. A platform they control from top to bottom.

I doubt this rumour it makes no sense manufacturers will inevitably try and push their own platforms. They will not want a nexus device without Google supporting them financially. I can't see Google wanting to support 5 different manufacturers, on the other hand I trust the NYTimes.

Zapages

whats the chepest android tablet for skype.

My grandparents are abroad and my Father wants to way to talk and see them. We were thinking of getting them sub 100 dollar tablet that they could use to skype with us. It will just be used to skype with us and nothing else.

Thanks guys. :)

tino

Banned
whats the chepest android tablet for skype.

My grandparents are abroad and my Father wants to way to talk and see them. We were thinking of getting them sub 100 dollar tablet that they could use to skype with us. It will just be used to skype with us and nothing else.

Thanks guys. :)

Used TouchPad?

Zapages

That's not cheap to you?

they were initially 100 dollars... I bought one for 150 dollars for 32 GB version...

Regardless, it has to be a basic tablet just for skype... We are looking at 100 dollars. Its going overseas and my grandparents are not techsavy at all.

Pctx

Banned
Sorry there world traveler...

what's the third one?

You mean Android 4.2.
No I mean 5. Dot releases at this point are just frosting and icing of which need not apply. We need to start seeing some more guts of the OS fleshed out and see where Android is going. Them keeping it secret with the momentum they have, especially given the iOS 6 Maps flap just makes me think that they either: A) Don't have anything compelling or B) Are waiting to see what Apple does.

Since when ha e the nexus devices been best in class hardware?
Galaxy nexus was outdated on release and nexus s was a rebadged galaxy s. I think the nexus one only beat the HTC desire, which it is based on, to market by a few months.

Nexus phones have never been sought after, neither HTC nor Samsung have had huge sales success with any of the nexus phones. I think the phones are just a way for Google to show off what android is really capable of. A platform they control from top to bottom.

I doubt this rumour it makes no sense manufacturers will inevitably try and push their own platforms. They will not want a nexus device without Google supporting them financially. I can't see Google wanting to support 5 different manufacturers, on the other hand I trust the NYTimes.

I view the Nexus line as the "Best in class Google Experience" of which it's high time that they step up and make the list I made above in line with the OS that they are offering and quiet frankly, that company is Motorola. If they can put a spread of the "Nexus" brands across all 3 carriers, they will be activating more than 2 million devices a day in no time. I look at the possibility of the 'Nexus' line representing the "best" of what Google has to offer and I'm holding out hope that they make it happen.

What I expect out of the next "god-tier" Nexus phone?
- 4.8"+ SuperAmoled HD+ display or SLCD2 equiv
- Higher clocked Dual-Core 1.8GHz chip
- 2GB of memory
- 32GB of storage with 64/128 models available
- Pentaband w/ LTE
- Unlocked, unmolested, untouched bootloader and SIM that can be used anywhere in the world
- Unique and custom made design
- Pure Google Experience on all 3 carriers w/o bloat running either 4.2 or 5.0 to continue to push the market forward.
-$299 or lower price point

VanWinkle

I won an Xperia Play. I don't have much interest in using it as a phone since I have an S3. However, there is an update to it, that I would like to do, but it won't check for updates on the phone without a mobile connection (won't work wi-fi only). Can I change my service (Verizon) to the Xperia Play, download the update, and then change the service back to my S3? That wouldn't be a problem, would it?

The HTC One X+ is official:

htc-one-xlede.jpg

HTC also announces SenseTM 4+ with Android Jelly Bean upgrades for
HTC One X and HTC One S coming soon

TAIPEI - 2ND OCTOBER, 2012 - HTC, a global leader in mobile innovation and design, today unveiled the HTC One™ X+, a refreshed version of its award winning HTC One™ X smartphone, running the HTC SenseTM 4+ experience on Android™ Jelly Bean. The HTC One™ X+ combines the iconic design, amazing camera and authentic audio experience of the HTC One series, with increased performance, longer battery life and expanded internal storage.

"We are taking the HTC One™ X to a new level with the introduction of the new HTC One™ X+," said Peter Chou, CEO of HTC Corporation. "Our customers will have super-fast browsing, an even better camera and more immersive entertainment with Beats Audio."

Performance, Endurance and Storage
Featuring a 1.7 GHz quad-core NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 AP37 processor and 64GB of internal storage, the HTC One™ X+ LTE version is up to 67% faster than the HTC One™ X1 LTE, making the HTC One™ X+ the best rated Android phone on the market. Developed to be lightning fast, the HTC One™ X+ enables quicker web browsing, fluid gaming and graphic rendering, and speedy downloads, providing effortless usage on the go.

In addition to its increased performance speeds, the HTC One™ X+ introduces extended performance with the inclusion of a 2100 mAh battery, giving you up to 50% (6 hours) more talk time, and longer to browse the web and enjoy your favorite music and videos2.

Availability
The HTC One™ X+ will be available in Europe and North Asia from October and in South Asia from November 2012. North America will make a separate announcement regarding availability of the HTC One™ X+. The Android Jelly Bean with HTC™ Sense 4+ update is scheduled to begin rolling out for the HTC One™ S and HTC One™ X from October.

Used TouchPad?
Yeah his grandparents would love dealing with such a buggy high maintenance tablet. They'd have a ball with it, especially with the camera not working in android and the Skype app on WebOS being temperamental at best.

Nexus would be the best idea if you insist on going Android. Any of the cheapies wouldn't be worth it for the headaches they would have with it. But honestly for some elderly people, you do well to hold off for the iPad Mini.

ChanHuk

Banned
A year ago, I bought my mom a $200 HTC tablet for Skype. She never used it because she claimed it to be too confusing. Sold it and bought her an iPad 2, she uses it everyday. Hell, she Facetimes me rather than calling me nowadays. It is more money, but you can never go wrong with the iPad for non-tech savy people.

The HTC One X+ is official:

i love that it's official...

but until they're done with this s-off s-on boot/kernel/whatever protection i'm staying far away from HTC. i love the phone but damn samsung seems to make hacking their phones way too easy. plus they have a 64gb micro sd card slot. no one else is even trying it seems.

sure not everyone goes for those obscure features, especially 64gb instead of 32gb but samsung is not only pushing the envelope, but when you include all of these supernice features it helps the mindshare, and it doesn't hurt that we (the elite android crew that hack and rom and root and find every detail of the specs important) talk about this phone to our friends and family like it's the best. we get the word of mouth going, and regular people that love the funky touchwiz stuff (and know nothing of stock android) speak volumes as well...

do you know how many goofballs have come up to me to swipe their phone with the side of their hand to take a screenshot? people eat that shit up. plus it doesn't hurt to have a decent camera app and above average cell phone camera (yup i'm staring at you aosp, step your game up son, you're ruining my image sensed htc one x cam)

/rant

tino

Banned
Yeah his grandparents would love dealing with such a buggy high maintenance tablet. They'd have a ball with it, especially with the camera not working in android and the Skype app on WebOS being temperamental at best.

Nexus would be the best idea if you insist on going Android. Any of the cheapies wouldn't be worth it for the headaches they would have with it. But honestly for some elderly people, you do well to hold off for the iPad Mini.

Skype run just fine in webOS. Lol the guy didn't even want to spend 150 and you suggest iPad?

Nicktendo86

No I mean 5. Dot releases at this point are just frosting and icing of which need not apply. We need to start seeing some more guts of the OS fleshed out and see where Android is going.

I know 4.1 wasn't the biggest update in the world but I wouldn't call it just 'frosting & icing', Google Now was a pretty big thing along with exbandable notifications. I see it feels like they are just polisihing the OS but in practice Jelly Bean feels like a massive improvement from ICS and I can't wait to see what they have in 4.2.

Is there any word at all of Chrome having a full screen mode? It is the one thing stopping me from using Chrome as my default browser and it is drivnig me nuts.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
I don't think I know any other carrier that shits out phones like att:

attonemain.jpg

HTC decided to reveal the oft-rumored One X+ earlier this morning, and it didn't take long for AT&T to announce its intent to carry the device in the "coming months." Fans acquainted with the original AT&T One X won't find much different on the outside -- we're still looking at a 4.7-inch Super LCD2 720p display, 8MP BSI f/2.0 rear camera with ImageSense and gorgeous polycarbonate build. Indeed, it's what's inside the LTE-capable phone that counts: a 1.7GHz quad-core Tegra 3 chipset, an impressive 64GB internal memory (nice, given the device still lacks microSD support), Jelly Bean with Sense 4+ and a nicely improved 2,100mAh battery.

That's not all, folks: AT&T's also introducing another HTC handset for its mid-range lineup known as the One VX. The device, which utilizes a 4.5-inch qHD Super LCD2 display, is packing Android 4.0 (upgradeable to Jelly Bean after launch), a 1.2GHz dual-core Snapdragon S4 MSM 8930 with 1GB RAM, LTE, a 5MP BSI f/2.0 ImageSense camera capable of shooting 1080p video, a VGA front-facing cam, NFC, Bluetooth 4.0, FM radio and 8GB internal storage. How about dimensions? It measures in at 9.19mm (0.36 inch) thick and weighs 4.4 ounces (124.7g), so it's slightly thicker and lighter than the One X+. We're quite curious to hear details on pricing and availability, but we haven't heard anything aside from the coming months (we'd like to believe, however, that AT&T wouldn't wait until after the holidays to push this out). Hopefully we'll get to play with the new device soon, but feel free to check out our galleries of picture-perfect press images below, along with the full press release after the break.

ep85

lol @ the One VX not launching with Jellybean.

Does Tegra have integrated LTE yet? If not, this is a thunderbolt jr.

lol @ the One VX not launching with Jellybean.

Does Tegra have integrated LTE yet? If not, this is a thunderbolt jr.

No, they are using Qualcomm's LTE modem paired with Tegra AP37, hence the huge 2100mAh battery in the X+.

Nvidia are going to start sampling their fully integrated solutions in Q4 this year and their LTE modem is being certified now. On the current schedule we will see fully integrated Tegra devices in Q2 2013 so announcements at MWC are a certainty.

VoxPop

So my girlfriend is looking for a tablet for her parents only to use with Square at their stores. They used to use an iPod Touch but it broke so they're looking for a replacement (preferably bigger). The Nexus 7 doesn't support the Square Reader nor does the Kindle Fire HD. What are the cheapest and best route to go? I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2?

tino

Banned
No, they are using Qualcomm's LTE modem paired with Tegra AP37, hence the huge 2100mAh battery in the X+.

Nvidia are going to start sampling their fully integrated solutions in Q4 this year and their LTE modem is being certified now. On the current schedule we will see fully integrated Tegra devices in Q2 2013 so announcements at MWC are a certainty.

Is HTC really putting Tegra soc in US phones? If that's case, what I read from this message is Qualcomm can't fab enough S4 in time.

ep85

Huge 2100 battery? haha. More like One X-.

Samsung releasing a mini GS3? So Gross.

VrQ85.jpg

GSM Arena said:
The invites sent out today contain the line "So big can be small. And so small can be big." You might also have noticed the characteristic S series logo in the background, which narrows down the potential release candidates to a small Galaxy S device.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_mini_in_the_works-news-4888.php

Is HTC really putting Tegra soc in US phones? If that's case, what I read from this message is Qualcomm can't fab enough S4 in time.

Yes, they are. I think HTC want to tap into the QUAD CORE = AWEOME! market before Samsung get there (both the One X and GS3 variants in the US are S4 based). The trade off is that by pairing Tegra AP37 with MDM9200/9600 HTC have had to stuff a massive battery in there and will still likely have worse battery life than a vanilla One X.

-GOUKI-

Hey guys. Me and my friend were talking about IOS and Android multitasking. He said IOS doesn't have true multitasking. What does that mean?

VoxPop

Hey guys. Me and my friend were talking about IOS and Android multitasking. He said IOS doesn't have true multitasking. What does that mean?

iOS doesn't actually leave the apps running in the background except a few like Safari/Spotify/etc and leaves them in a suspended state till you go back to it to save battery. You can download a tweak called Backgrounder to have everything actually running.

Android usually leaves everything running in the background.

-GOUKI-

iOS doesn't actually leave the apps running in the background except a few like Safari/Spotify/etc and leaves them in a suspended state till you go back to it to save battery. You can download a tweak called Backgrounder to have everything actually running.

Android usually leaves everything running in the background.

Okay I see. That's probably why android also uses up the battery alot. As soon as I downloaded the Android task killer, it started saving me like double the battery.

Oh so the One X+ does have a bigger battery than the original, that's good news. Still not sure why Motorola can fit a bigger one in a smaller device with the razr HD, why doesn't everyone use 2500 at least. Should be interesting to see real world battery life with the new cpu.

Oh so the One X+ does have a bigger battery than the original, that's good news. Still not sure why Motorola can fit a bigger one in a smaller device with the razr HD, why doesn't everyone use 2500 at least. Should be interesting to see real world battery life with the new cpu.

battery life will probably be about the same as the original one x since the modem and soc are separate...drains battery quicker. just like the thunderbolt as i think someone above was alluding to...

Swag

Is there a way to join contacts from Accounts such as Facebook sync, into another contact, for example from something like Google contacts.

Nvm, found the option

gcubed

Yes, they are. I think HTC want to tap into the QUAD CORE = AWEOME! market before Samsung get there (both the One X and GS3 variants in the US are S4 based). The trade off is that by pairing Tegra AP37 with MDM9200/9600 HTC have had to stuff a massive battery in there and will still likely have worse battery life than a vanilla One X.

ATT gets to experience the thunderbolt battery awesomeness now.

Mr Swine

Banned
There is nothing special about LG besides decent screens. Their phones build quality is not good. I trust Lenovo Huawei before I trust LG.

Not good? My LG Optimus one from 2010 is still going strong despite it being sluggish and bad battery life :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom