• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Yea, but that assumes I'm all rooted up, which I'm not because reasons.

I'm sure regular people get annoyed with this too.

Google can creep up on me by knowing what time I leave for work, I think they can creep their way into not loading a bunch of apps I probably don't need on my phone.

Pctx

Banned

Google can creep up on me by knowing what time I leave for work, I think they can creep their way into not loading a bunch of apps I probably don't need on my phone.

G+ Settings was just the beginning....

tino

Banned

Unless you work for some frederal government shit and get free phones, everybody should root their phone. Just use 1% of the time you spent on this thread and root it.

As far as regular folks. There is no easy ways to batch restore apps for Windows or iOS users either, I don't see the problem. In fact I wish there is a "Titanium for Windows" solution so I don't have to label my essential apps in an index and store them on a cloud drive.

kehs

Banned
G+ Settings was just the beginning....

I hope so. Knowing google though they'll probably make another google settings app so we can a full row of square Gs right next to each other.

Unless you work for some frederal government shit and get free phones, everybody should root their phone. Just use 1% of the time you spent on this thread and root it.

As far as regular folks. There is no easy ways to batch restore apps for Windows or iOS users either, I don't see the problem. In fact I wish there is a "Titanium for Windows" solution so I don't have to label my essential apps in an index and store them on a cloud drive.

Titanium doesn't really solve the first sign-in problem.(or the hideous looking interface problem TB has)

Carbon has a desktop component doesn't it?

regular people only care about their pictures. and some care about their texts.

Titanium doesn't really solve the first sign-in problem.(or the hideous looking interface problem TB has)

Carbon has a desktop component doesn't it?

Carbon's desktop component is only required for poor saps that aren't rooted. gotta use ADB magic to get it to work without root.

markot

Banned
Honestalllly...

HTC one is looking pretty good after the s4 leak >.<

How easy is it to get rid of that sense shit? I mean... I could just install a different launcher...

People still believe that galaxy leak eh. It's not easy to get rid of sense. Just use a diff launcher. Then maybe someday a long time from now someone will release a stable cyanogen for it.

Well its only like a day away.

But if its best features are eye scrolling... meh.
touchwiz might be ugly but it's got some nice shit. Multi window support alone makes it better than all of sense. I like the One too. Seems solid.

I'm still on ZL or S4 though for me.

markot

Banned
Sony ZL?! Sure if you want a processor from 6 months ago!

I like multiwindow support, but I dont know how good itd be without a pen.

I was thinking it was doing a backup copy too. oops.

yeah, you can back up to the desktop, but you can also back up to SD (or the cloud with pro) so you don't *need* the desktop app if you're rooted and don't want to backup to the desktop.

also, Carbon doesn't work on Motorola devices or Xperia S or Xperia Z

Sony ZL?! Sure if you want a processor from 6 months ago!

I like multiwindow support, but I dont know how good itd be without a pen.
just youtube it and it looks great on the S3. Would be even better on the bigger screen of the S4.

Anyway the difference between the S4 pro and the S600 is pretty small, realistically. Also S4 pro is the same as nexus 4, could possibly help developers.

Cronox

Banned
Hey guys, so I've got my original Galaxy Note N-7000 here (unlocked), and I'm running into big problems with storage space. The phone has 16 gigs of internal memory, but only 2 are set aside for programs. I don't have that much installed but I'm constantly hitting the 2 gig barrier. Is there a way to get rid of the 2 gig partition for programs and let android use all 16 gigs for everything?

When I originally got the phone it was on Android 2.something, now I'm on 4.0.4, and should be getting the Jellybean update any day now.

tino

Banned
Hey guys, so I've got my original Galaxy Note N-7000 here (unlocked), and I'm running into big problems with storage space. The phone has 16 gigs of internal memory, but only 2 are set aside for programs. I don't have that much installed but I'm constantly hitting the 2 gig barrier. Is there a way to get rid of the 2 gig partition for programs and let android use all 16 gigs for everything?

When I originally got the phone it was on Android 2.something, now I'm on 4.0.4, and should be getting the Jellybean update any day now.

No you should have 11 GB available to do whatever you want on your N7000.

gcubed

wait, you need to do adb stuff for carbon? Why wouldn't you just do the ADB stuff yourself instead of spending money on an app?

kehs

Banned
wait, you need to do adb stuff for carbon? Why wouldn't you just do the ADB stuff yourself instead of spending money on an app?

Adb is only necessary if you don't have root.

The paid version removes ads and allows devoice to device syncing.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So mad props to HTC. They are hooking my GF up with a free care package since her old phone is broken and she sort of needs one for medical purposes. Big Ups to HTC for this!

Boomberg talks about the S4: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-03-12/samsung-targets-galaxy-4-at-apple-s-core-iphone-market.html

Nothing we don't really know. Eye-scrolling, similar design to S3, 13mp camera, 5 inch amoled screen, US version to use qualcomm, etc...

From a Korean based source (non-Samsung though), the US and China versions may also use LCD because of production issues. Europe, Asia and Korea will have AMOLED. No word on the LCD supplier, but I'm guessing some in house and some from Sharp or even LG if they are really struggling to keep up. Something to do with poor US/Chinese margins.

I wonder how people would react if the US got a clearly inferior version with SD600 and LCD vs an international one with Exynos 5 and OLED...

kehs

Banned
IMG_2013031220161.jpg

I feel proud.

I mean it's just mentioning some of the rumours we've already read about, not confirming all those things. Actually not the amoled part, that could still be lcd.

From a Korean based source (non-Samsung though), the US and China versions may also use LCD because of production issues. Europe, Asia and Korea will have AMOLED. No word on the LCD supplier, but I'm guessing some in house and some from Sharp or even LG if they are really struggling to keep up. Something to do with poor US/Chinese margins.

I wonder how people would react if the US got a clearly inferior version with SD600 and LCD vs an international one with Exynos 5 and OLED...
hey I've said it before, if it's an LCD like the HTC One, sign me the ef uppppppppp. As for cpu, it's literally the same stuff in real world use. But yeah, nerds on the internets will whine endlessly.

Blackhead

Redarse

If the UK/Korean version has the proper LTE bands it might be wise to import. Faster updates and fewer preloaded carrier crap is also a plus.

no, the Carbon Desktop app does some ADB stuff behind the scenes automatically for you if you want to use Carbon without root. iirc, you can backup to Desktop or SD in the free version. to do cloud backups, scheduling and fancy stuff, you have to get the paid version.

hey I've said it before, if it's an LCD like the HTC One, sign me the ef uppppppppp. As for cpu, it's literally the same stuff in real world use. But yeah, nerds on the internets will whine endlessly.

Yeah, if it's a good LCD then it might be fine, but if it they need to use multiple suppliers to satisfy demand (just like Sony) then there will be a panel lottery (just like Xperia Z). Agreed on the CPU also, but people love to use benchmarks and say "last year's hardware" about anything that doesn't use the most up to date processor. If say the US GS4 uses SD600/LCD and Sony were to release a 5" device in September using SD800/OLED it would be interesting to say the least. I'm not saying that's what's going to happen, but it would be an interesting scenario for the US.

If the UK/Korean version has the proper LTE bands it might be wise to import. Faster updates and fewer preloaded carrier crap is also a plus.

Won't be the right LTE bands. US carriers have the weirdest spectrum, only AT&T is really comparable.

Vanillalite

I mean it's just mentioning some of the rumours we've already read about, not confirming all those things. Actually not the amoled part, that could still be lcd.

GPU should be a nice bump (if it's the rumored power vr) and that should help considering the system is trying to push 2+ million pixels verses under 1 million on a 720p screen. I'd agree in general though it'll feel pretty much the same.

tino

Banned
If Samsung is putting 2 different types of screen in the S4, I really doubt they will announce it. You just have to find out in xda.

Vanillalite

On a side note it appears AT&T pushed LTE out to more places this week in GA. I was definitely getting LTE in places today where I use to drop back to HSPA+.

If Samsung is putting 2 different types of screen in the S4, I really doubt they will announce it. You just have to find out in xda.

No, what they will do is announce the top spec version (Exynos 5/OLED) at the event on Thursday and then have joint press releases with US carriers announcing worse ones for the US and on the day they will just tell people to keep their eyes peeled for US specific announcements in the coming days/weeks.

tino

Banned
No, what they will do is announce the top spec version (Exynos 5/OLED) at the event on Thursday and then have joint press releases with US carriers announcing worse ones for the US and on the day they will just tell people to keep their eyes peeled for US specific announcements in the coming days/weeks.

In other words, better than the way Sony handled it. :)

i would say "that would be mega bad press to announce the phone in the USA then release a lower spec version in the US than elsewhere" except minus the announcement being in the USA, that's exactly what they did with the GS3.

Doesn't matter, we're all gonna be using the X phone in a couple months anyway...

....lol. Seriously with the rumours that Samsung is considering LCD for the Note 3 and it also might happen for the S4 in NA. Time to ditch OLED :p

I know it's not OCD, which gets tossed around as a reason for everything, but something irks me when I see the names of Note II and S III side by side, or Note III and S IV. I wish Samsung would skip one, like make S IV+ at the same time as Note IV so they can even out at V. It would really make me feel much better -- thanks, Sam Sung!

I know it's not OCD, which gets tossed around as a reason for everything, but something irks me when I see the names of Note II and S III side by side, or Note III and S IV. I wish Samsung would skip one, like make S IV+ at the same time as Note IV so they can even out at V. It would really make me feel much better -- thanks, Sam Sung!

maybe they'll even things out this year with the Galaxy S 3S

Fatalah

Google needs to do some shit about first sign-ins to new devices that just dumps all the apps installed on your last device.

I keep finding a bunch of apps I don't need on my phone that were installed when I signed into it last week.

When you first power-on your new device and go through Android's welcome screens, there's a question about restoring backed up apps. That's where I say NO.

Cronox

Banned
No you should have 11 GB available to do whatever you want on your N7000.

Unfortunately not, the 11 GB are classified as "USB storage," and include an applications category, which has 1.81 GB of data, but the 2 gigs I'm talking about is the 1.97 GB designated as "Device memory," which has 1.6 GB of applications in it, and seems to be separate from the 11 GB. The device memory is the thing that's running out of space all the time, though I don't have that many apps on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom