• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going through my RSS feeds, I realize how much I've started to dislike Boy Genius Report. They used to be my go to, but the writing style and tone has really taken a turn for the worse. If I unsubscribe from them, will I be covered on major mobile news by Android Police and The Verge?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Haven't paid attention to BGR in like two years, last good scoop they had was the OG Droid. I forget what it was, but BGR himself posted an article that really annoyed me and made me unsub.

Talon

Going through my RSS feeds, I realize how much I've started to dislike Boy Genius Report. They used to be my go to, but the writing style and tone has really taken a turn for the worse. If I unsubscribe from them, will I be covered on major mobile news by Android Police and The Verge?
BGR has a hilarious amount of typos.

Fatalah

Huge news, wow.

Larry Page said:
Sergey and I first heard about Android back in 2004, when Andy Rubin came to visit us at Google. He believed that aligning standards around an open-source operating system would drive innovation across the mobile industry. Most people thought he was nuts. But his insight immediately struck a chord because at the time it was extremely painful developing services for mobile devices. We had a closet full of more than 100 phones and were building our software pretty much device by device. It was nearly impossible for us to make truly great mobile experiences.

Fast forward to today. The pace of innovation has never been greater, and Android is the most used mobile operating system in the world: we have a global partnership of over 60 manufacturers; more than 750 million devices have been activated globally; and 25 billion apps have now been downloaded from Google Play. Pretty extraordinary progress for a decade’s work. Having exceeded even the crazy ambitious goals we dreamed of for Android—and with a really strong leadership team in place—Andy’s decided it’s time to hand over the reins and start a new chapter at Google. Andy, more moonshots please!

Going forward, Sundar Pichai will lead Android, in addition to his existing work with Chrome and Apps. Sundar has a talent for creating products that are technically excellent yet easy to use—and he loves a big bet. Take Chrome, for example. In 2008, people asked whether the world really needed another browser. Today Chrome has hundreds of millions of happy users and is growing fast thanks to its speed, simplicity and security. So while Andy’s a really hard act to follow, I know Sundar will do a tremendous job doubling down on Android as we work to push the ecosystem forward.

Today we’re living in a new computing environment. People are really excited about technology and spending a lot of money on devices. This is driving faster adoption than we have ever seen before. The Nexus program—developed in conjunction with our partners Asus, HTC, LG and Samsung—has become a beacon of innovation for the industry, and services such as Google Now have the potential to really improve your life. We’re getting closer to a world where technology takes care of the hard work—discovery, organization, communication—so that you can get on with what makes you happiest… living and loving. It’s an exciting time to be at Google.

Posted by Larry Page, CEO

kehs

Banned

I just use android gaf now.

Going to LG, working on WebOS.

m-night-shyamalan(2).jpg

So it turns out Verizon IS getting the HTC One and for some reason it's being delayed there because they're still testing it for some reason.

So HTC has finally completed carrier domination. It only took them a couple tries! Of course it's not confirmed if it will be actually be called HTC One.

Talon

So it turns out Verizon IS getting the HTC One and for some reason it's being delayed there because they're still testing it for some reason.

So HTC has finally completed carrier domination. It only took them a couple tries! Of course it's not confirmed if it will be actually be called HTC One.
Droid One

kehs

Banned
This Sundar talk is getting me hyped.

The PDK should be out of beta by now. If they have an updated system they can push themselves...

gimmmick

All bets will will be verizon re branding it with droid, and it will be released in July.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

They're testing how to best cover the HTC logo with their own.

kehs

Banned
Verizon delaying a phone, for "testing", which coincidentally makes it not launch along side all the other carrier's phones?

That can't be true, I refuse to believe it.

I won't.

gimmmick

Verizon delaying a phone, for "testing", which coincidentally makes it not launch along side all the other carrier's phones?

That can't be true, I refuse to believe it.

I won't.

After all the money spent marketing the droid dna, why would they launch the htc one 3 months after it releases?

Also does gaf have an official gs4 thread going already?

Cipherr

I am so easily entertained. I just sent someone an email; but before I sent it, I forgot to attach the files that the email referenced aaaaand the other PDF's that he needed.

When I pushed 'send' in GMail, a pop up box asked me:

"Did you mean to attach a file to this message? In your email you entered the phrase 'I have attached'; but there is no attached file."

With the option to send anyway, or cancel. Pretty neat. I'm sure e-mail services have probably been doing that forever, its just not a mistake I generally make. Still neat though.

kehs

Banned
in one fell swoop Google pushed the "remove ad blockers" button.

?

I am so easily entertained. I just sent someone an email; but before I sent it, I forgot to attach the files that the email referenced aaaaand the other PDF's that he needed.

When I pushed 'send' in GMail, a pop up box asked me:

"Did you mean to attach a file to this message? In your email you entered the phrase 'I have attached'; but there is no attached file."

With the option to send anyway or cancel. Pretty neat. I'm sure e-mail services have probably been doing that forever, its just not a mistake I generally make. Still neat though.

GMAILMAN WATCHING OVER YOU

I got a kick out of it too, I think they introduced it like a year and a half ago.

Zeppu

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/13/4...ndroid-a-free-replacement-for-a-feature-phone

Apple doesn't seem particularly worried about the imminent launch of Samsung's Galaxy S 4 — at least publicly. In an interview today, marketing chief Phil Schiller reiterated that Android doesn't make for a pleasant user experience. Speaking to The Wall Street Journal, Schiller echoed Apple's old talking points including Android's continued fragmentation. Perhaps most damning of all, he took a shot at the very appeal of Google's mobile operating system, saying "Android is often given a free replacement for a feature phone and the experience isn't as good as an iPhone."

Schiller also criticized Android for an apparent lack of integrated software solutions. "When you take an Android device out of the box, you have to sign up to nine accounts with different vendors to get the experience iOS comes with," he said. "They don't work seamlessly together."

lol. Working seamlessly together.

Don't forget to mention that you have to sign up with the same account nine different times, once in each app.

gcubed

I find it humorous that they are using the same excuses from before android became popular.

No really, its just all those free phones!

You get excited? There is nothing we don't know at this point.
I get excited for any notable hardware release, even ones I don't plan on getting. Though I'm actually seriously considering the S4.

And also it is pretty interesting. We have no clue what will be the case LCD vs OLED, release dates, and whatever else. I like seeing what from all the rumours shakes out.

buhdeh

lol Apple.

Same tired ass excuses for iOS. I guess he forgot how painful it was just to share a YouTube video with someone on Whatsapp before Google built a superior YouTube app... you know, one where you can actually copy the URL to a video. SMH.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
LG's "HEY LOOK AT US" press release:

Sure, there's been a lot of buzz about possible eye-based scrolling in Samsung's Galaxy S IV, but LG's in the eye-recognition spotlight -- for today, at least. The electronics giant has revealed that a "Value Pack" update for the Optimus G Pro will be served up in Korea next month, and will pack a feature called Smart Video that responds to a user's peepers. With its front-facing camera, the handset will pause a video if the user looks away, and start playing it when their gaze falls back on the display. In addition, the upgrade will pack what's said to be a world's first Dual Camera feature (taking a page from the phone's Dual Recording feature, of course), which creates picture-in-picture shots by using the hardware's two cameras.
Devices will also receive the ability to change the home button's LED to correlate with contacts, pause and resume video recording, color emoticons and refreshed QRemote functionality. According to LG, the update's features will find their way to their other premium smartphones in the future, but there's no word on when the revamped software will arrive on phones in other territories. Hit the break for more details in the press release.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/13/lg-optimus-g-pro-eye-recognition/

lol Apple.

Same tired ass excuses for iOS. I guess he forgot how painful it was just to share a YouTube video with someone on Whatsapp before Google built a superior YouTube app... you know, one where you can actually copy the URL to a video. SMH.

i can't imagine not having intents.

i guess that explains why the G2x is still on gingerbread, LG ninjas working hard on their latest hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom