• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

kehs

Banned
Fuck all that noise, how about an option that says restore only some...here's your recently installed apps!

Plus your missing a couple of steps faceless. Like copy over data or install drop box etc.

Fuck all that noise, how about an option that says restore only some...here's your recently installed apps!

Plus your missing a couple of steps faceless. Like copy over data or install drop box etc.
That's always annoyed me as well. Now that you put words to screen, though, I'm wondering if it's reading the installed apps list from a previous device. Hmm, next time I wipe, I'll deactivate all but the most current device from the Play Store and see what happens.

i would say "that would be mega bad press to announce the phone in the USA then release a lower spec version in the US than elsewhere" except minus the announcement being in the USA, that's exactly what they did with the GS3.

The Note II is the same worldwide except for which LTE bands are supported. It costs Samsung more to have different versions of the same phone around the world. This is why Samsung will likely have as few SKUs as possible for the S4.

kehs

Banned
That's always annoyed me as well. Now that you put words to screen, though, I'm wondering if it's reading the installed apps list from a previous device. Hmm, next time I wipe, I'll deactivate all but the most current device from the Play Store and see what happens.

Seems that way. When I set up my n4 it pulled all the apps from my n7. I'm guessing my n1 didn't count cause it was hacked together.

The Note II is the same worldwide except for which LTE bands are supported. It costs Samsung more to have different versions of the same phone around the world. This is why Samsung will likely have as few SKUs as possible for the S4.
that's not what most rumours seem to be saying. Seems like thursday is so far away.

SD CARD

the data was already there!

well, that is the best case scenario, but it doesn't mean it will happen.

tino

Banned
Unfortunately not, the 11 GB are classified as "USB storage," and include an applications category, which has 1.81 GB of data, but the 2 gigs I'm talking about is the 1.97 GB designated as "Device memory," which has 1.6 GB of applications in it, and seems to be separate from the 11 GB. The device memory is the thing that's running out of space all the time, though I don't have that many apps on my phone.

I still have 629mb available. What kind of apps you have in it?

Just use Titanium Backup to delete the unused Samsung stuff.

Cronox

Banned
I still have 629mb available. What kind of apps you have in it?

Just use Titanium Backup to delete the unused Samsung stuff.

It's true that the samsung apps take a fair amount of space. Besides that I've got some frontends installed, a couple games (dead space, etc), and browsers (chrome is the one I use). Lots of little knick-knack utilities and stuff like yelp too. Still nothing close to all the apps I had on my old iPhone 3GS.

So on Android 4 they didn't fix that problem for new phones and make it part of the larger 11 GB partition? Why is this so arcane...

It's true that the samsung apps take a fair amount of space. Besides that I've got some frontends installed, a couple games (dead space, etc), and browsers (chrome is the one I use). Lots of little knick-knack utilities and stuff like yelp too. Still nothing close to all the apps I had on my old iPhone 3GS.

So on Android 4 they didn't fix that problem for new phones and make it part of the larger 11 GB partition? Why is this so arcane...

many newer devices have their filesystems partitioned differently and have the entire leftover space available for apps and data. it's something that could have been done by the OEM when upgrading to ICS, but with an increased chance of data loss during upgrades. that solution presents its own set of issues though.

Gwanatu T

Hate to ask but how do you do this? I've never been able to find it on the Play Store, and Google searching doesn't help.

tino

Banned

Large games only take up small amount of app space.For example Real Racing used 15mb and then the rest of the 1gb data is on the "usb space".

It's not a problem at all. Try to use up the remaining 600mb and come back and talk to me. you can't.

Doopliss

Unfortunately not, the 11 GB are classified as "USB storage," and include an applications category, which has 1.81 GB of data, but the 2 gigs I'm talking about is the 1.97 GB designated as "Device memory," which has 1.6 GB of applications in it, and seems to be separate from the 11 GB. The device memory is the thing that's running out of space all the time, though I don't have that many apps on my phone.
On the storage information screen click on Apps, it'll tell you what apps are using the space.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
PAGING PCTX PAGING PCTX!!!! NEED NAO!!!!!

Is this leaked Moto stuff the X Phone? We all NEEEEEED to know!

The Verge: Mysyery Motorola Phone!

Tinhte_Motorola_Xt912a-12_large_large.jpg

I wouldn't even mind if the X phone winds up with a 720p screen. If Motorola found a way to make the battery last 2 days, put a skirt on me and call me Low Resolution Sally.

Also, seeing previews and "reviews" where people just swipe through the home screens and open up seemingly random apps makes me appreciate Marques Brownlee all the more.

gcubed

I wouldn't even mind if the X phone winds up with a 720p screen. If Motorola found a way to make the battery last 2 days, put a skirt on me and call me Low Resolution Sally.

Also, seeing previews and "reviews" where people just swipe through the home screens and open up seemingly random apps makes me appreciate Marques Brownlee all the more.

low resolution sally

you can make the phone last 2 days with a 1080p screen. Don't settle!

That's not the X.

do you know what it looks like?

Hate to ask but how do you do this? I've never been able to find it on the Play Store, and Google searching doesn't help.
You have to do it before you wipe: go to Settings > Apps and find the Google Services Framework. Clear the cache and clear the Data. This will remove the device from the Play Store. Obviously, don't access the Play Store or it will register again. Proceed to factory reset.

Sorry if this has been answered a million times, it's a big thread. What time is the Samsung event tomorrow, and is it being livestreamed?
it will be livestreamed, I forget the time though.

Also that motorola phone looks like the most generic phone of all time. Just a prototype I hope. Also I do enjoy that Motorola's phones are basically nexus phones now lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom