• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be the perfect world for those of us who care about Vanilla Android, but I do wonder how manufacturers would react to that. Their ability to distinguish their devices is extremely important to them. I would imagine them only accepting it if the process of swapping over to AOSP/Vanilla was similar to the way HTC handles unlocking a bootloader. Involving sacrifice of warranty and whatnot if you choose to do it.
Do manufacturers care when the product is bought though? They already have me, what do they care if I use stock or touchwiz. It really seems like a perfect world solution, almost too good to be true, but at the same time I struggle to see why it can't be true.

And they can always hide it deep in the options if they want, so only the savvy users will go for it. Still LEAGUES better than now. A game changer for android. Guess we'll see at the all things D thing at the end of october because that's when you'd mention something as big as that. Guess we just have to hope.

buhdeh

Do manufacturers care when the product is bought though? They already have me, what do they care if I use stock or touchwiz. It really seems like a perfect world solution, almost too good to be true, but at the same time I struggle to see why it can't be true.

And they can always hide it deep in the options if they want, so only the savvy users will go for it. Still LEAGUES better than now. A game changer for android. Guess we'll see at the all things D thing at the end of october because that's when you'd mention something as big as that. Guess we just have to hope.

Yeah... I can already use a launcher to get rid of most of touchwiz. Why do they care if I want stock?

Anyways, if the rumor is true, it looks like Android phones are about to get a whole lot better.

Also: regret buying my S3 now.

It would be the perfect world for those of us who care about Vanilla Android, but I do wonder how manufacturers would react to that. Their ability to distinguish their devices is extremely important to them. I would imagine them only accepting it if the process of swapping over to AOSP/Vanilla was similar to the way HTC handles unlocking a bootloader. Involving sacrifice of warranty and whatnot if you choose to do it.

The way I think about it is this...

Every manufacturer can have their one Nexus phone every year and grab that "I love stock android" segment of consumers. And it will be cheap because all they need to do is make minor changes or upgrades to whatever flagship they are working on that year.

Win Win

Edit: so basically these will be the dev phones and they can cow tow to carriers by locking their normal non-nexus phones to hell and back.

Win win win

Verge app is totally redesigned now. Not sure what I think yet.

It seems to be much smoother and navigates much faster, and updates articles a lot faster for me too. A huge improvement in every way, though it's still not as good as the Engadget app. And where's our damn widget, Verge?

Cipherr

It seems to be much smoother and navigates much faster, and updates articles a lot faster for me too. A huge improvement in every way, though it's still not as good as the Engadget app. And where's our damn widget, Verge?

I like this new verge app. Feels HOLO too. A really good look. Does Engadget really have a good app? I'm curious to see it, but then I would be reading Engadget.

I don't really remember what the old one looked like, but the new one looks great.

Yeah, I heard nothing but bad about the old one, so I never bothered.

Oh fuck, a stuck pixel just showed up on my S2 :(

I'll leave the stuck pixel fixer app running during the night and hope it goes away. Otherwise I'll have to go to the store I bought it tomorrow. The phone IS under warranty (for 3 months) but these are basically imported phones (from a third party, not through the carrier) so it might not be as easy as I'd like. Under the warranty terms it says they'll fix it in 15-20 days but that's too long!

It's very bright red and it sticks out like a sore thumb :'(

EDIT: I read that those stuck pixel fixer apps don't work on AMOLED displays... I guess I'll have to take it to the shop tomorrow... Hope they can do something about it quickly

gimmmick

I like this new verge app. Feels HOLO too. A really good look. Does Engadget really have a good app? I'm curious to see it, but then I would be reading Engadget.

The Engadget app's killer feature is the widget. Really, after using the new Verge app more, I really think it has surpassed the Engadget app in both performance and aesthetics, especially since the Engadget app was never update to follow the Holo guidelines. But the Engadget app has the widget. I love widgets. I'm so torn.

And yeah, The Verge blows Engadget out of the water in terms of the actual content.

I always knew the activation # per day that Andy always tweeted about was BS!

I'm going to buy the magazine and see if I can pop in the sim card on my old nexus one and see how much data allowance it has lol.

I've read a few comments that said it's not in all copies. Some dude in the youtube comments said he went to 7 stores and checked the issues and the ad wasn't in any of the copies. I'll probably try to find one too though

Nicktendo86

This is how I see it, they can still advertise their phones with their skins but clued up users can just change a setting. And get stock android. God I hope this rumour is true!

Doopliss

Its a fucking HTC ChaCha LMAO!

Looks more like one of these:

274Ktl.jpg

this_guy

Do the product reviews show the review score on the updated app? I haven't found a reason to use a separate Verge/Engadget app versus just using Pulse.

Anyone who is in the know, getting dead spots from swapping out a broken digitizer with a new one. Can this be avoided? Does it come down to the quality of the new digitizer?

Cudder

Am I the only one who got rid of their "tech/android news" apps a long time ago and solely rely on their twitter feeds for any tech news? Felt kind of good to clear out a bunch of apps telling me the same info that I see on twitter.

this_guy

Am I the only one who got rid of their "tech/android news" apps a long time ago and solely rely on their twitter feeds for any tech news? Felt kind of good to clear out a bunch of apps telling me the same info that I see on twitter.

I use Pulse so I can glance at the headlines of all the sites that I normally check out. I don't see the need to have a separate Engadget or The Verge app.

On the multiple Nexii rumour, if it is true that Google are going to allow branding then I think Sony will make one. I know they have previously turned Google down twice for Nexus devices because of the strict non-branded rules that come with making a Nexus. If Sony can brand the phone and ship it with their apps and services but not their skin then I think they will definitely make one. AOSP with Sony's apps preloaded.

In other news JDI have started making 5" 1080p screens, so even if Sharp goes bankrupt, JDI will still be there!

tino

Banned

All you need is a google reader.

AndyD

aka andydumi

Doubt it. As long as its buried in the settings they will have no problems with it. Because the vast majority of people like the carriers' customization options and looks, and choose devices based on that very look, so they would be unlikely to change away from it. And as long as carrier apps still stay on the device (i.e. Verizon's navigator, music, ringtone, video stores) they probably don't much care about the front look of your device.

Futureman

I use NeoGAF and the Verge for tech news.

Google x Intel = Motorola DROID RAZR i

Now this is an interesting development. Google isn't standing around doing nothing while MS slowly and ponderously moves toward Win8.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
This nonsense about Android customization themes makes no sense. If the only customization is the launcher, okay. But that's not it. It's pretty deeply embedded into the OS, like Samsung's Smart stuff or Sense. There's more to manufacturer spins than just a skin.

How will a Theme changer change that? How will it speed up updates? Will it be like two partitions or something?

Google x Intel = Motorola DROID RAZR i

Now this is an interesting development. Google isn't standing around doing nothing while MS slowly and ponderously moves toward Win8.
Verizon is already re-releasing the international Intel based RAZR M variant?

This nonsense about Android customization themes makes no sense. If the only customization is the launcher, okay. But that's not it. It's pretty deeply embedded into the OS, like Samsung's Smart stuff or Sense. There's more to manufacturer spins than just a skin.

How will a Theme changer change that? How will it speed up updates? Will it be like two partitions or something?

videogame tech journalism

Don't worry about it. It will just work.

I would think that the customization center option is a mild version of the manufacturer skin... its not full blown touchwiz or sense. Probably would be limited to wallpapers and icons and different style app docks for the home screen. Yes in other words basically just a launcher.

Instead of a fully embedded manufacturer custom android build.

Which also means that some of their cooler features get left out such as the camera app or beats on the one x or the pop out video and smart stay on the GS3...

tino

Banned
Is it me or ATT is approving new phones alot sooner than it used to? Both the Optimus G and the One X+ were announced just a couple weeks ago and they are sending out review units to the bloggers already? That's unusual.

Also these two phones are actually very similar, both are S3 wannabe phones. Unfortunately both lack a little bit extra of hardware punch. If I am getting a ATT phone now, I rather get the Note 2, or the 920, or the iPhone. I may even get the Galaxy Camera if somebody hack the voice feature back into it.

AT&T* and Samsung Telecommunications America, LLC (Samsung Mobile)1 today announced the Samsung Galaxy Camera™ coming to AT&T. The Galaxy Camera combines high performance photography with Android™ 4.1 Jelly Bean and AT&T 4G mobile internet connectivity, resulting in a powerful point and shoot camera with a familiar, intuitive user interface and access to all of your favorite Android applications from the Google Play™ market.
carrier exclusive cameras?

Pein

Banned
Is it me or ATT is approving new phones alot sooner than it used to? Both the Optimus G and the One X+ were announced just a couple weeks ago and they are sending out review units to the bloggers already? That's unusual.

Also these two phones are actually very similar, both are S3 wannabe phones. Unfortunately both lack a little bit extra of hardware punch. If I am getting a ATT phone now, I rather get the Note 2, or the 920, or the iPhone. I may even get the Galaxy Camera if somebody hack the voice feature back into it.

how is the one x a wannabe phone when it was out before the S3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom