• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well at least that might let CM bring something useful to the table since Sony doesn't seem to get that something is wrong with their compression software.

Anyway, rooting isn't as important as it used to be since Android isn't a piece of shit like it was in the Android 2.# days.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm buying new 100%. I had 2 bad experiences already buying used. I'm not really wanting to put a custom ROM due to lack of knowledge abd fear of bricking my phone. The GS3 is aleady too big for me tbh but I could deal with it.

Oh and if that's the case I might just get the Z10. I checked BB World at my Koodo and it wasn't there. Guess I just didin't look hard enough.

Oh you're not going to find Instagram yet in BB World. Search Crackberry or use this guide.

I asked if you're willing to buy via Kijiji or Craigslist because $500 probably isn't enough to buy new unlocked smartphones from the selection you quoted e.g. A Z10 is $600 off contract

Huge kick in the balls?

HTC executives attributed the delay in shipments to shortages of components including metal casings and camera parts.

"The company has a problem managing its component suppliers as it has changed its order forecasts drastically and frequently following last year's unexpected slump in shipments," said an HTC executive. "HTC has had difficulty in securing adequate camera components as it is no longer a tier-one customer."
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323415304578369403991284398.html#

Huge kick in the balls.

The only reason HTC are still in business is because Qualcomm invested in them and keep them in their tier one order list and prioritise HTC over Sony and even Samsung despite the disparity in order sized (Sony are set to order 50-60m chipsets from Qualcomm in 2013, HTC possibly 18m, but HTC are given higher priority).

Without Qualcomm's life support HTC would be looking at bankruptcy and a bail out from the Taiwanese government.

MarkusRJR

Oh you're not going to find Instagram yet in BB World. Search Crackberry or use this guide.

I asked if you're willing to buy via Kijiji or Craigslist because $500 probably isn't enough to buy new unlocked smartphones from the selection you quoted e.g. A Z10 is $600 off contract
So I have to go into developer mode to sideload it on? Is there a way to turn off developer mode after side loading it? Oh and the Koodo Z10 sells for $550 (GS3 is $500 outright, for comparison. Koodo is ny carrier so unlocking won't be necessary. The problem is that those are the only two premium phones they have.

Liquidus

Aggressively Stupid
So I have to go into developer mode to sideload it on? Is there a way to turn off developer mode after side loading it? Oh and the Koodo Z10 sells for $550 (GS3 is $500 outright, for comparison. Koodo is ny carrier so unlocking won't be necessary. The problem is that those are the only two premium phones they have.

I would have picked up a Galaxy S3 as I have my Tab paid off and another $150 of positive Tab credits but that pebble blue is hideous. Ended up getting a Nexus 4. Going to use my credits to get an iPhone 5 for the mother in law.

The S4 support thing is misinformation being spread. They're referring purely to the exynos version which is likely to not get as much support. The qualcomm version will swim in support of course. Which makes sense. Exynos version will be used by fewer people and is a giant headache, I wouldn't even bother with it if I was a dev. People just reading headlines.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
hahaohwow.jpg

Wouldn't surprise me if that version number is higher than what the S4 launches with.
tdfCt.gif

The S4 support thing is misinformation being spread. They're referring purely to the exynos version which is likely to not get as much support. The qualcomm version will swim in support of course. Which makes sense. Exynos version will be used by fewer people and is a giant headache, I wouldn't even bother with it if I was a dev. People just reading headlines.

Not so sure. CM maintainers all seem to be bailing out for good because Samsung are a shitty company.

Not so sure. CM maintainers all seem to be bailing out for good because Samsung are a shitty company.
nah, I guarantee you the qualcomm version is set. It'll even have cyanogen himself working on it as usual. These developers might act noble but they'll still go where most users are, and considering how popular the S4 will be, especially those with snapdragons, don't see how it doesn't continue.

Pctx

Banned
nah, I guarantee you the qualcomm version is set. It'll even have cyanogen himself working on it as usual.

Here's what I meant by my statement... the CM team has had a love/hate with Samsung. On one hand, you get CM on how many millions of devices--- but on the other, drivers, source and everything Samsung is closed. The past few bases (GS2, GS2 variants, GS3 etc.) has had some luck of things working cross platform. With the GS4, this thing is a completely new beast. Why waste developer time on it?

Then again, we'll get the flip side arguments of "Why would CM only develop for Vanilla Android devices?" Dunno, I'm not them. I do get that focusing on 4.2.2 on the current crop of devices makes more touchwiz than sense if you ask me.

As I've stated multiple times, KLP will be where CM 11 moves to (most likely) and will continue the trend of using devices that have drivers open to them. As far as I know, Cameras have never worked right on the Samsung devices because they are closed source drivers. Kinda shitty if you ask me.

nah, I guarantee you the qualcomm version is set. It'll even have cyanogen himself working on it as usual. These developers might act noble but they'll still go where most users are, and considering how popular the S4 will be, especially those with snapdragons, don't see how it doesn't continue.

What they will do is recommend people who want to run CM/AOSP to get a Sony or LG device. One of the best Hacksung developers (codeworkx) was allegedly approached by Sony late last year after expressing frustration with Samsung and now he gets developer devices weeks in advance of general release just like Jerpelea. There is a lot of talk that a lot of the other Hacksung developers are talking to Sony now as well to help maintain CM for the whole 2013 line up and get CM10.1 ported to all 2012 devices also.

Samsung have talked the talk but failed to walk the walk.

Here's what I meant by my statement... the CM team has had a love/hate with Samsung. On one hand, you get CM on how many millions of devices--- but on the other, drivers, source and everything Samsung is closed. The past few bases (GS2, GS2 variants, GS3 etc.) has had some luck of things working cross platform. With the GS4, this thing is a completely new beast. Why waste developer time on it?

Then again, we'll get the flip side arguments of "Why would CM only develop for Vanilla Android devices?" Dunno, I'm not them. I do get that focusing on 4.2.2 on the current crop of devices makes more touchwiz than sense if you ask me.

As I've stated multiple times, KLP will be where CM 11 moves to (most likely) and will continue the trend of using devices that have drivers open to them. As far as I know, Cameras have never worked right on the Samsung devices because they are closed source drivers. Kinda shitty if you ask me.
once again though, you're referring to issues the exynos version has.

Camera works on the snapdragon versions. That's all I'm saying here. Despite any hate or anything, there's simply no way the qualcomm ones don't get support. Cyanogen will work on it, like 99% sure, and others will join in to pick up any slack. No one says they have to enjoy it :p

Hey I hate that samsung isn't friendlier to devs as much as anyone but I'm just being realistic here. Especially in the face of stupid headlines like the one from GSMarena lol. S4 NOT GETTING CM. Well that's that.

Pctx

Banned
once again though, you're referring to issues the exynos version has.

Camera works on the snapdragon versions. That's all I'm saying here. Despite any hate or anything, there's simply no way the qualcomm ones don't get support. Cyanogen will work on it, like 99% sure, and others will join in to pick up any slack. No one says they have to enjoy it :p

Do we know if the 600/800 etc. have drivers released for them yet?

Angst

If someone wants to develop CM for the S4 it will become an offal release. Just because Hildebrand and a few others says they won't do it, it doesn't mean it won't be developed at all. It's not like the CM team will say 'NO, don't download our freely available, open source base".

godddd, when using the launcher is doesn't stutter and when using stock it does. Sony man. What is the optimization.

Sony haven't enabled GPU rendering for the UI. There is a stock firmware out there with it enabled and it is smooth as butter.

Yeah.... nice thing about the Z is that it will get CM (or has already) and launchers get rid of most of the Sony styling.

Already has a CM10.1 release out

https://sites.google.com/site/projectfreexperia/home/supported-devices/c66---zl

https://sites.google.com/site/projectfreexperia/download/progress

If they fix the stutter, fix the camera bug, and do some better battery optimization, the Z/ZL would pretty much be the bees neeeez in terms of best all around phone.

nice. Looks like unofficial still since its not listed on get.cm?

FXP is the official CM for Xperia devces. They are a separate team who port CM to Xperia devices.

If they fix the stutter, fix the camera bug, and do some better battery optimization, the Z/ZL would pretty much be the bees neeeez in terms of best all around phone.

Yeah, they should enable GPU rendering for the UI, 4.2.2 brings battery optimisation, but I don't ever see Sony fixing the camera. People at SMC seem to think that their "optimisation" make the pictures look better because no one ever zooms in.

So does anyone remember when S3 reviews started coming in? As in how long before their actual release date?

This is still my plan of attack. If S4 has great battery life (solid optimization and the 2600mah gives me hope), then I'll probably get that. But if for some weird reason reviews say it's not that different from the S3 in terms of battery, or it's only slightly better than other flagships, I'll probably turn around and just get the ZL.

Then of course if the X phone is actually a great phone and is sold at the play store for a decent price, I will sell whichever one I ended up using my upgrade on and get that.

So does anyone remember when S3 reviews started coming in? As in how long before their actual release date?

This is still my plan of attack. If S4 has great battery life (solid optimization and the 2600mah gives me hope), then I'll probably get that. But if for some weird reason reviews say it's not that different from the S3 in terms of battery, or it's only slightly better than other flagships, I'll probably turn around and just get the ZL.

Then of course if the X phone is actually a great phone and is sold at the play store for a decent price, I will sell whichever one I ended up using my upgrade on and get that.

I seem to remember them coming out about a week before general release.

As for the ZL vs GS4, it really depends on how you use it, if you are a sporadic browser and don't watch a lot of video then I would say the stamina mode will add a lot for you, if not then the GS4 is probably a better bet.

ok I'm an andriod noob - what's cm?

Cyanogen Mod, an AOSP (Android Open Source Project) port for multiple devices. The team that maintains the ports for Samsung devices are bailing out.

I seem to remember them coming out about a week before general release.

As for the ZL vs GS4, it really depends on how you use it, if you are a sporadic browser and don't watch a lot of video then I would say the stamina mode will add a lot for you, if not then the GS4 is probably a better bet.
I commute a lot so my on screen time will be high. And that time is usually spent 70% browsing the web, 30% watching videos. That's why I can't stand these fucking phones with bad on screen time in the year 2013. My battery shouldn't drop to mid60s-low70s before I even get to where I want to go, lol.

Yeah, then GS4 is probably a better bet. We'll have to see whether 4.2.2 brings battery life improvements to the ZL.
If the ZL was optimized well it shouldn't even be that huge a difference. Isn't it basically 2400mah vs 2600mah. Unless 200 really makes that big a difference. I have no clue.

And before anyone says why not get a razr maxx, not available on my carrier. Which is why the X phone would have to sell on the play store (and not suck, though I know it will have good battery) for me to have a chance.

buhdeh

The HTC One accessories are pretty nicely designed/

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-one/#accessories

Edit:

Wow TouchWiz has some nice features we (or I?) didn't know about:

One cool option for those who use more secure lockscreens (PIN, Pattern, etc.) is the Auto unlock zone feature. You can add several "home" Wi-Fi networks and the lockscreen will be disabled when the Galaxy S4 hooks up to one of them. This way you can have a secure PIN lockscreen outside and a quick unlock at home or the office.

Another nice trick is the Quick glance option we first saw on the Galaxy Note II. It uses the proximity sensor to detect you reaching for the device and it lights up the screen that shows the time, missed call and message counters, battery charge and music track info.

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s4-review-910p4.php

Touchwiz has like a thousand features and there's definitely some good gems in there functionality wise among all the random stuff you probably wouldn't use.

Didn't notice GSMarena has their take two up for the S4. Thanks for the link buhhhhhhhdeh.

edit: they seem to love every bit of it other than similar design.

gcubed

i knew about the last one, but not the first one. The first one is pretty awesome.

Although all this layered on shit makes it run like a pig on a beefy processor

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
dem profit margins

Samsung Galaxy S4 costs $236 to make says iSuppli

Samsung’s Galaxy S4 is more expensive to make than the previous Galaxy S III. Not too hard to believe. According to the latest teardown by IHS iSuppli they state that the total Bill of Materials (BOM) is about 15% higher than the GSIII, specifically noting that the Galaxy S4 16GB HSPA+ model costs $236 (USD) and the LTE-enabled model is $233. The Galaxy S III reportedly has a BOM of $204. Of course, iSuppli says that these are only estimates as the device has yet to be released.

The major increase in price was caused by the larger HD display (resolution of 1920 x 1080), now at 5-inches with a 441PPI. This costs $75 per device, up from $65 in the 4.8-inch GSIII. In addition, Exynos 5 Octa processor found in the HSPA+ model is $30, while the 1.9-GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor is 10 bucks cheaper at $20. With all the new features, namely the new camera and new humidity, temperature, and ifrared gesture sensors, all helped the GS4 rise above the GSIII.

Another interesting nugget was that “Samsung accounts for at least $149 worth of component content in the HSPA+ version of the Galaxy S4, representing 63 percent of the total BOM, based on the results of the virtual teardown.”

http://mobilesyrup.com/2013/03/19/samsung-galaxy-s4-costs-236-to-make-says-isuppli/

http://press.ihs.com/press-release/...ries-236-bill-materials-ihs-isuppli-virtual-t

2013-03-19_Samsung-S4-Table1.jpg

the isuppli link is interesting because it mentions that the LTE version is actually cheaper than the HSPA version (b/c of SD600)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Nvidia had their little opening talk to the GPU show. To narrow it down...

1) Admitted they are slow getting Tegra 4 to the market

2) Ahead of schedule with Tegra 4i though

3) Tegra 5 finally what people thought Tegra would be all along aka a smartphone/tablet version of regular Nvidia GPUs. CUDA cores + Open GL 4.3 compliant.

Hacked up demo shown of a Tegra 5 on a Tegra 3 weird board hooked to a regular comp.

4) Tegra 5 brand new arch 1st known chipset to be announced on this new mobile arch.

5) Expect Tegra 4 2013 Tegra 5 2014 Tegra 6 TBA

PS: It's Nvidia mobile so expect over promise under deliver and late.

Android Police Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom