• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT2| - Patent pending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Yeah fake as anything. Kinda like the idea of the x being the notification light though. I would so prefer a nexus 5 than a moto x phone at I/o

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yeah fake as anything. Kinda like the idea of the x being the notification light though. I would so prefer a nexus 5 than a moto x phone at I/o

Hate it.

The ideal Google Phone is one without any logos. Chromebook Pixel goes almost all the way with this but still doesn't get it 100%.

Groof

They can change the overall look and feel of the design of a Nexus phone, but the front needs to stay the way it is no matter what. Nice and clean, just the way it should be. Huge company logos on the front is such a downer.

Talon

They can change the overall look and feel of the design of a Nexus phone, but the front needs to stay the way it is no matter what. Nice and clean, just the way it should be. Huge company logos on the front is such a downer.
Embrace your Lord.
timthumb.php

so there's no way to provide the necessary drivers?

I mean there HAS TO BE A WAY to turn any phone into a nexus phone as long as it's using the same cpu or something.

remember it's not just the SoC, there are various other components and other hardware differences, and firmware differences, right down to the low level hardware boot sequence, drivers, environment settings, lots of little things.

remember it's not just the SoC, there are various other components and other hardware differences, and firmware differences, right down to the low level hardware boot sequence, drivers, environment settings, lots of little things.
it just seems like the dream though :(

Honestly it wouldn't be a problem if google was just better at making nexus phones lol. But when all these other phones are better in a variety of different ways. Having to make that decision stinks.

Honestly it wouldn't be a problem if google was just better at making nexus phones lol. But when all these other phones are better in a variety of different ways. Having to make that decision stinks.
i guess it can be a hard decision for some. for me it's even easier after seeing the 4.2 debacle.

Drivers, reference sources, different hardware. HTC aren't exactly developer friendly and Verizon are specifically developer unfriendly.
I just have such a hard time believing considering how high tech we are and all the mods and hacks going on that google can't figure out some kind of tool or something to help out. And maybe have the manufacturers back the tool while they build their new phones and be like our phone will support the use of it. That way carriers get their skins, manufacturers make their money, most casual people will keep using the skins, but people savvy enough to utilize the tools can just put on stock and live in peace.

I had a dream.

what's the podcast app that people have been using? I have volksemfanger and it's nice but crashes often

Pocketcasts. The new holo-fied version is the bees knees.

The Nexus 4 is an awesome phone. It's not for all mind due to the lack of removable battery, no ext storage and no 4g. I expect the latter to change in the Nexus 5, but I'm not expecting a replaceable battery or external storage. Since 4.2.2 The Nexus 4 has given me the best battery life of any smartphone I've ever owned. Clearly not Note levels, but it's a little on the big side for my tastes.

I just have such a hard time believing considering how high tech we are and all the mods and hacks going on that google can't figure out some kind of tool or something to help out. And maybe have the manufacturers back the tool while they build their new phones and be like our phone will support the use of it. That way carriers get their skins, manufacturers make their money, most casual people will keep using the skins, but people savvy enough to utilize the tools can just put on stock and live in peace.

I had a dream.

That's why Samsung have Odin and Sony have Flashtool.

Flashtool is about Sony eventually being able to push down ROMs to their devices and allowing approved third party developers like FXP/CM to do so as well. People inclined to flash could use Flashtool to download FXP from Sony's servers and it would flash it onto an Xperia device with an unlocked bootloader. It also exists to open the door for Sony to put AOSP onto more of their devices but keep it limited to people who know enough to bother with it rather than shipping devices with AOSP and none of their customisations.

On this front, there is movement, both Samsung and Sony are relatively easy going about third party development, and in the case of Sony they sent out early development devices to CM/FXP for Xperia S, T and Z so that a working port of CM was ready within days of release.

Nicktendo86

Hate it.

The ideal Google Phone is one without any logos. Chromebook Pixel goes almost all the way with this but still doesn't get it 100%.
Oh I love my gnexus for the lack of logos on the front, but think that nexus actually looks ok on the front. You know how the x is split into 4 parts? Well maybe one part could light up green if you have a SMS, one red if you have a missed call etc. could look really tacky but would be useful.

Groof

On this front, there is movement, both Samsung and Sony are relatively easy going about third party development, and in the case of Sony they sent out early development devices to CM/FXP for Xperia S, T and Z so that a working port of CM was ready within days of release.

Whoa, who knew Sony were this cool. That's a pretty great thing to do.

That's why Samsung have Odin and Sony have Flashtool.

Flashtool is about Sony eventually being able to push down ROMs to their devices and allowing approved third party developers like FXP/CM to do so as well. People inclined to flash could use Flashtool to download FXP from Sony's servers and it would flash it onto an Xperia device with an unlocked bootloader. It also exists to open the door for Sony to put AOSP onto more of their devices but keep it limited to people who know enough to bother with it rather than shipping devices with AOSP and none of their customisations.

there has definitely been progress but it seems to be moving slow these days. I remember reading a while back that Sony is working on a way to get stock on any of their phones or something, probably what you just mentioned. Yeah they've made it easier to root and get roms on it but I feel like we're forever away from just getting a phone, using whatever tool, and boom, you're on stock. You get updated when google pushes them (manually of course), and all the other benefits. Sony is definitely leading on that front, which is why I have respect for it. But there's gotta be a better way and I actually find it so hard to believe there isn't one yet considering it's one of the main criticisms.

Blame falls on google as well. They should be leading this charge. Not sure I get the feeling they are.

Don't they also steal their rumours/make up stuff.
The Nexus 4 is an awesome phone. It's not for all mind due to the lack of removable battery, no ext storage and no 4g. I expect the latter to change in the Nexus 5, but I'm not expecting a replaceable battery or external storage. Since 4.2.2 The Nexus 4 has given me the best battery life of any smartphone I've ever owned. Clearly not Note levels, but it's a little on the big side for my tastes.
I don't think the Nexus 4 is bad or anything. It's just lacking in parts that I refuse in the year 2013. Most notable being camera and battery life. Neither are bad of course. But I want more from those things these days. Also not a fan of the whole glass thing. There's other small stuff but fix those 3 things on the nexus 5 and I'll be back on the nexus or bust bandwagon. But until then you just see the batteries being pumped out motorola, and the cameras being pumped out by everyone not named google and motorola, you see all these nice cool designs. Nexus phones are pretty damn good now, but imagine they can hit every note? Would be truly unbeatable.

Maybe the next one though.

One of the GSMArena mods has been commenting on a thread in their blog. He owns an Xperia Z and this is what he said about battery life:

"Depending on what you are using it for. Here is an example. The last two charges lasted for 4 full days. Throughout those 4 days (NOT each day) I did 4 hours of talk time, 1 hours of movie playback, 8 hours music playback, 1 hour of browsing (hugelol/9gag mostly), 30 minutes Facebook. When on standby and media playback - all Wi-Fi and Data were off. Note that 40 minutes of those 4 hours of 3G talks were via a Bluetooth headset.

That's why I am happy. The SGS3 did a lot worse with my routine.

Kyle"

http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-arrives-at-the-office-we-snap-some-camera-samples/

I hope Sony patented that Standby feature! :O

One of the GSMArena mods has been commenting on a thread in their blog. He owns an Xperia Z and this is what he said about battery life:

"Depending on what you are using it for. Here is an example. The last two charges lasted for 4 full days. Throughout those 4 days (NOT each day) I did 4 hours of talk time, 1 hours of movie playback, 8 hours music playback, 1 hour of browsing (hugelol/9gag mostly), 30 minutes Facebook. When on standby and media playback - all Wi-Fi and Data were off. Note that 40 minutes of those 4 hours of 3G talks were via a Bluetooth headset.

That's why I am happy. The SGS3 did a lot worse with my routine.

Kyle"

http://blog.gsmarena.com/htc-one-arr...amera-samples/

I hope Sony patented that Standby feature! :O
all reviews seem to rave about the stamina mode. Seems like such an obvious feature too in hindsight.

JCizzle

Why can't the default Gmail app delete individual messages from a conversation. Fuck. I get two automated search emails every morning that get rolled into a conversation... deleting only removes one of the two and the other one vanishes until I log into a computer or pop on my ipad. Why you doing me like this googs

DXPett1

Tablets only. They might bring it to phones. Could be useful for having separate work/personal spaces, or when you give your phone top your kids to keep them quiet.

Blackberry are touted this feature pretty hard for their latest phone. Could be good for Google to nip this one in the bud pretty quickly and further nail their coffin?

It's in ChromeOS too no?

Rootbeer

Banned
Hoping for a much earlier Nexus 5 reveal :T I'm in the position right now where I need a new phone and plan asap. I can probably go without it for another month or three at most, getting by with using my old now-carrierless phone and available wi-fi (which is very abundant where I frequent). Such bad timing unless I want a Galaxy S4... the purity and flexibility of the nexus line appeals to me so much more...

Hoping for a much earlier Nexus 5 reveal :T I'm in the position right now where I need a new phone and plan asap. I can probably go without it for another month or three at most, getting by with using my old now-carrierless phone and available wi-fi (which is very abundant where I frequent). Such bad timing unless I want a Galaxy S4... the purity and flexibility of the nexus line appeals to me so much more...

Get a prepaid card with some minutes? Your situation sounds pretty bad. lol

I could see MS doing something like that as they are kings of astroturfing, but Sony?

Seriously.

Sony have astroturfed before but I'm convinced every company does it in some capacity. Right now, Sony is practically invisible/dead/whatever and there really aren't many posters who act like obvious shills for Sony anymore. I find it hard to believe that Sony has been spamming votes on some shitty poll on some shitty mobile tech website.

http://www.gsmarena.com/galaxy_s_ii...roid_50_others_get_stuck_at_422-news-5720.php

Galaxy S III and Note II will make it to Key Lime Pie 5.0 and possibly further. Galaxy S II will end it's life on Jelly Bean 4.2.2. Good news for members of the Galaxy Master Race. The GSII had an amazing run, that phone started on Gingerbread and made it to ICS and soon JB, along with the original Galaxy Fucking Note.

Somewhere, owners of older HTC devices are crying.

MarkusRJR

I finally have saved up enough money to pick up a smart phone. I was planning to buy one for months now, but I ended up borrowing a friend's phone to hold me off. I'm stuck deciding between an SG3, BB Z10, or waiting for new phones. I really hate the look, feel, size, and android skin of the SG3 though, so I'm actually thinking of getting the Z10. I think it looks interesting and it already has the apps I need apart from instagram (which is apparently coming via an android port). That plus the fact my dad owns a BB so we can use BBM together are making me lean away from Android.

Are there any phones that're around $500 unlocked (that I can get in Canada) that seem awesome? I'm trying to find other options but nothing seems perfect for me. The Nexus 4 was originally the phone I was going to get but there's no micro SD card slot and I live in the most bipolar city in Canada (weather wise it can go from -40 to 40 celsius over the course of the year) so the back glass would crack really fast. My only requirement is that it's durable (and aren't many common problems/defects like HTC phones), can last me a day on battery, looks nice, doesn't have much lag, and has a micro SD slot.

Can anyone give me a recommendation for a phone that might fit my needs?

LG: "Samsung is a mean poo poo head!"
Samsung: "No, you!"
Yonhap News reports that the Korean cousins Samsung and LG are in a row over the eye-tracking technology in their respective flagship phones, the Galaxy S4 and Optimus G Pro. The feature at the center of the controversy is called Smart Pause by Samsung and Smart Video by LG, and lets users pause a playing video by looking away from the screen. LG says it applied for the relevant patent in 2009 (as well as other eye-tracking inventions as far back as 2005) and plans to check if Samsung's phone infringes when it launches next month. Samsung, of course, denies infringing LG’s patent, saying it has its own technology and used different methods for its own implementation. The two companies' phones are both scheduled for release in April.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/19/4122548/samsung-and-lg-at-odds-over-eye-tracking-patents

Blackhead

Redarse
Are there any phones that're around $500 unlocked
Can anyone give me a recommendation for a phone that might fit my needs?

Are you willing to buy used via Kijiji or Craigslist? Are you willing to put a custom rom on it (to remove skins)? Do you have a maximum size above which a phone is 'too big'?

edit:by the way, you can already get the android instagram app on the BB Z10

RdN

Guys, I had a very strange thing happen to my Note II today.

I was browsing the gaming area, and visited a link to the Rock Paper Shotgun website. There, the it said that my IP adress had been tagged and I couldnt have access. It then showed an IP adress.

I found that curious and went to whatsmyip.com to check if it really was the address, and to my surprise, it showed my real IP and the other IP (that RPS showed) as a proxy. The thing is: i've never set up a proxy in my life.

So I went to my computer to check if the same happened there, and nothing. Everything was clear, no proxy alert and the website gave me normal access.

That got me worried about the security of my phone, and I immediatly did a factory reset. After it booted up again, I went to Rock Paper Shotgun and it accessed perfectly. Then went to whatsmyip and again no proxy alert.

So.. what the hell happened? Could some app that I had installed be causing that? Or maybe some kind of malware?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Just get a Nexus 4 then? It's not as if the Nexus 4 is going to be a bad phone for the next year or two. I mean for general processing tasks at the 720p resolution it's not as if the S4 Pro processor and 2 gigs of RAM won't let you effectively use your phone.

panda21

Ruh roh.

CM team say they aren't going to support GS4.

http://www.androidcentral.com/cm-developers-passing-samsung-galaxy-s4-should-you

Big call by the CM team. Just a reminder that Xperia Z has a working port of CM10.1 already out, also codeworkx is now part of the Xperia team at CM.

I'm not sure how seriously I would take that. for all their anti samsung posturing that particular sub-group of CM have kept releasing stuff for ages.

its also not categorically saying CM won't support it, just one member of a sub-group saying he doesn't think any of the others are going to buy one...

I'm not sure how seriously I would take that. for all their anti samsung posturing that particular sub-group of CM have kept releasing stuff for ages.

its also not categorically saying CM won't support it, just one member of a sub-group saying he doesn't think any of the others are going to buy one...

This:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/101093310520661581786/posts/aoAGK5yo13Y

Was the beginning of the end of Samsung's relationship with CM. After that it was quite clear that the GS4 wouldn't be supported unless Samsung actually delivered on their promises.

I'm sure there will be a couple of maintainers for GS4, but it's not going to be anywhere near as fast or comprehensive as Xperia Z to get CM10.1 working. Lately Sony have even started talking about giving CM/FXP their camera drivers so that they can get working on full support for their cameras.

MarkusRJR

Are you willing to buy used via Kijiji or Craigslist? Are you willing to put a custom rom on it (to remove skins)? Do you have a maximum size above which a phone is 'too big'?

edit:by the way, you can already get the android instagram app on the BB Z10
I'm buying new 100%. I had 2 bad experiences already buying used. I'm not really wanting to put a custom ROM due to lack of knowledge abd fear of bricking my phone. The GS3 is aleady too big for me tbh but I could deal with it.

Oh and if that's the case I might just get the Z10. I checked BB World at my Koodo and it wasn't there. Guess I just didin't look hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom